[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/co/, did I screw up? I bought my first comic book for the first
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: detail.jpg (95 KB, 550x836) Image search: [Google]
detail.jpg
95 KB, 550x836
/co/, did I screw up?

I bought my first comic book for the first time, Spider-Man/Deadpool #1. Bought it from Amazon for like 16 bucks, free shipping. When the thing arrived I glanced over the cover and saw that the price is "$3.99".

Was I robbed? Did I fuck up?
>>
>>80715789
Was the cover the same one you're showing us? There are multiple covers, some are more expensive.
>>
>>80715789
Yeah I mean...
Many shops still have $3.99 issues.

That being said you probably didn't have to go out of a comfy chairand it isn't like you sorrento 10x cover or anything.
>>
>>80715828
Yeah, same one.
>>
File: sabretooth.jpg (39 KB, 366x322) Image search: [Google]
sabretooth.jpg
39 KB, 366x322
>>80715900
I was about to say "Yeah, you did", but a look online shows that the basic cover is hard to find at cover price. Variants are actually cheaper. One of your local comic shops might have had it at cover still, but I don't know where you live or what your LCS situation is like.

If you only wanted the story then I would say you screwed up and could have got it cheaper, but if you want it as a collectable that seems to be the going price for a first print.

>Marvel prints so many variants now the regular covers are the rarest
>>
yeah, you got scalped, but more importantly just ask yourself: are you happy with your new comic, or do you miss your $16?
if it's the former more than the latter, you're fine
>>
>>80715789
You're a dummy, but you got Vision #1 apparently so it's not all bad.
>>
The way comics work is that you shouldn't really pay more than cover price for floppies unless it's a special variant of some sort that you want for collecting reasons (note: variants will generally get published in the trade collection anyway so unless you specifically want the variant as a floppy there's no reason to buy one).

If you're just generally starting out in comics I 'd suggest backreading first instead of jumping on monthlies. There's plenty of stuff out there that's good and collected so you get better value than buying issue to issue. Some people will even just wait to buy arc to arc anyway like that (called tradewaiting).
>>
>>80716040
>>80716143
>>80716188
>>80716189
Well, shit.

I don't feel like I get the value of the money I spent.

Thanks for the quick responses.
>>
>>80716188
I'm relatively late to the Vision party. My LCS sold me Spidey/deadpool so I could read Vision 1. I may order an actual 1 just to have it. That series is so damn good.
>>
>>80716306
Just to give you a heads up, the writer Tom King signed an exclusive with DC and it looks like Vision will be ending at #12.
>>
>>80716303
I wouldn't worry too much about it, but generally I try to stay away from variants unless the cover or series is really special to you.
>>
>>80716303
Yeah that's kind of a buyer beware situation. At least it was only $16 though and you know now to not do that going forward unless it's what you want.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 1988x3056
>>80716358
Yeah. I'm bummed he's leaving, but I see Vision as more of a mini-series now. Do you know what he's picking up for DC? I read he's taking over the Batman bimonthly but nothing else.
>>
>>80715789
>Bought it from Amazon for like 16 bucks
Wow, yeah, you completely fucked up. You could have gotten it from your LCS for $4, or even cheaper (not counting shipping) from most online floppie retailers. Midtown Comics has it for under $4:
>http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/dp.asp?PRID=Spider-Man+Deadpool+%231+Co_1495246
>>
>>80716484
The King/Batman rumor isn't confirmed. The only thing we know is that the guy who was writing Martian Manhunter is doing Suicide Squad with Lee because Lee himself said that.
>>
>>80715789
I think you should just stick to buying trades.
>>
Yeah, I gotta say if you're buying physical comics you should always try to use a comic shop if one's in your area. Support local businesses, etc. plus mine usually has an archive of older comics for cheaper or same as cover price. I bought the entirety of 52 for 52 bucks during a sale. Having a pull list is convenient too.

But yeah if you need to buy online other people in the thread have posted places you can usually get them for cover price
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.