[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is she a Mary Sue /co/? Why or why not?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: images.jpg (20 KB, 275x534) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
20 KB, 275x534
>>
>>80709666
She's a mary sue.
>>
>>80709666
No, she could only do a fraction of the bullshit Batman spews out every time he comes on panel.
>>
>>80709725
This. Also she's illiterate.
>>
Isn't she a barely literate social retard? Not to mention didn't a writer have her go evil/crazy one time?
>>
No. She put all her points in fighting so her skills in ever other area are lacking.

Meanwhile Batman cheats and puts points in literally every single fucking skill.
>>
>>80709808
Batman is that guy at the table that keeps changing the stats on his character sheet.
>>
>>80709731
>>80709757
In terms of fanboy wankry she does everything.
>>
>>80709825
What the fuck does that mean?
>>
>>80709840
It means you can't be the best non superhuman fighter in the story if you're a sexy girl
>>
>>80709725
Batman jobs a lot more than his haters want to admit.
>>
>>80709864
Cause its not nearly enough to make up for the bullshit he manages to pull out of his ass.
>>
>>80709898
>non believer of the Bat God
>>
>>80709898
>justice buster suit
OK...
>>
>>80709666
No, because Mary Sue is a term for fanfic self-inserts that the story suddenly revolves around. A canon character with no flaws who gets too much attention is just a shittily written character. And even that doesn't apply to her, as she has more considerable flaws than many other cape charact ers. Plus, cape characters are almost always written as TEH BEST in some field, she's not even an exception.
>>
She is a Mary Sue .
>>
I don't like Cassandra Cain/Batgirl.

I've tried. Believe me. I've read most of the issues, thanks to a friend who's a big fan. But I can't bring myself to like her.

It's just...she's so cliched in concept. And I know that now that I've said that, I'll probably get a few people going on about the "originality" of a fighter who can't speak and communicates through/perceives body language as an actual language.
>>
have no problem with martial artists with unique abilities, I have no problem with children of pre-established characters, I have no problem with traumatizing pasts or moral decision or really any trait that Cass possesses individually. It's just...somehow together, they become eye-rolling to me.
>>
>>80709666
She's a Mary Sue
>but anon she's not the best at everything!
She doesn't have to. She's the best at fighting and that;s enough because that's what she does. She's not a great inventor because she simply doesn't do anything like that. It's kind of like saying Flash isn't that good because he's not a good martial artists, well, his powers make it so that he doesn't need to be a great hand to hand combatant
>but-but...she's illiterate and anti social
And yet she still manages to make friends and being illiterate is a hop in her life that she always manages to overcome.
>>
There really wasn't much interesting Cassandra Cain stories
Cass is an Authorial MarySue, in the same way that Claremont tried to turn all his female characters into MarySues, while Byrne then subjected them to poorly written S&M pr0n.
>>
>>80711249

nope. what's it like to be the stupidest person on the internet with the crappiest computer? i would probably jump into a vat of maple syrup to sweet myself to death.
>>
she is a killer in 52 Cass killed many people.
>>
I don't think she's a Mary Sue, she's only good at one thing and nearly retarded elsewhere.

She's the cliche as fuck super martial arts Asian waifu bait character, but not a Mary Sue, that's still solidly Batman's thing.
>>
>>80709898
"So the only to beat her is with a lie."

WTF? grammar much?
>>
She's a mary sue.
>>
X-23 is more of a Mary Sue than her.

Cass, even though powerful, is extremely flawed. Her second issue shows you what's important to her and that she can fail in her goals. In fact, she gets her ass handed to her constantly.
Meanwhile, X-23 is always dropped among groups of kids and they always go on about how awesome she is. Hell, even Craig and Yost kept saying how awesome X-23 was in their interviews while at the same time saying how they wish they could kill more X-Kids.
>>
File: wolverine-quote.jpg (59 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
wolverine-quote.jpg
59 KB, 300x300
>>80711423
>being the best at what you do makes you a mary sue

What a retarded argument. Especially when discussing superheroes, who regularly operate at godlike, literally superhuman, levels in their discipline of specialization.

Within a given setting, fictional or otherwise, SOMEONE has to be the best at something, and someone has to be the worst.
>>
File: temp.png (631 KB, 591x583) Image search: [Google]
temp.png
631 KB, 591x583
Who is the bigger retard, Cass or Jubilee?
>>
>>80711449
Hey, Claremont subjected his female characters to his fetishes too.
>>
>>80711633
me, for reading this
>>
File: 3d4.jpg (20 KB, 396x400) Image search: [Google]
3d4.jpg
20 KB, 396x400
I swear, most of you fucks who spout that she is a Mary Sue don't even know what that term even means.

And no, it's not for 'character I don't like'
>>
>>80711586
>Within a given setting, fictional or otherwise, SOMEONE has to be the best at something, and someone has to be the worst.
No, you idiot. Depending on the story, the victor between two characters will be different. Creating a character as "one of the best at" is fine, creating a character as "THE best at" is retarded.
>>
>>80711767
Batman is the world's greatest detective, Flash is the fastest man alive, Green Arrow is the world's best archer, Martian Manhunter is the world's most powerful telepath, etc. It's a given that the members of the Justice League will be the best of the best.

Fuck. Even in the real world, there are individuals who operate as the best, and most celebrated, of their generation. Be it Einstein, Bobby Fisher, or Mohammad Ali.
>>
>>80709666
Is she a self insert character used in a fanfiction who literally can not fail or retreat no matter the impossible odds against her/him?
Then no
>>
>>80712526
Isn't she?
>C c can beat Batman, I swear because one time an idiot writer wrote that on paper.
>Best Robin Batman can ever have, I swear.
>S S She's the best guys, I swear.
>>
>>80709666

>retard
>shit taste in boys
>BTFO by Huntress

Yeah...she's not a Mary Sue, even by /co/'s incorrect understanding of the term.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.