[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Films which had their legacy ruined by sequels
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 5
File: Ice_Age_(2002)_Poster.jpg (128 KB, 600x889) Image search: [Google]
Ice_Age_(2002)_Poster.jpg
128 KB, 600x889
Films which had their legacy ruined by sequels
>>
Shrek
>>
>Studios which had their legacy ruined by sequels

Pixar
>>
Eventually Zootopia
>>
>>80704197
Are you from the future?
>>
>>80704148
The second one is great though

>>80704197
Doubt it. Modern Disney films don't have sequels yet.
>>
File: chillogy.png (84 KB, 854x670) Image search: [Google]
chillogy.png
84 KB, 854x670
Posting only to note that I reject the term "chillogy" being applied to a series of five films. They couldn't think up a pun involving pentalogy and the term "increasingly inaccurately named trilogy" was already taken.
>>
>>80704810

Isn't there going to be a Frozen 2?

And I heard about a Tangled tv show.
I'm hyped.
>>
>>80704114
Kung Fu Panda seems to be heading that way, that with how the third movie turned out.
>>
First movie is the comfiest, everything after that feels too modern.
>>
>>80704114
The original wasn't really any better than the sequels.
>>
>>80704810
It's not modern Disney, it's Disney period. The only non-DTV sequel Disney ever did was for The Rescuers.
>>
>>80706536
Return to Never Land and Jungle Book 2 were both theatrically-released, and one could count all the various Pooh movies as sequels.
>>
>>80706329
1-3 was just the Dragon Ball to what will be 4-6's DBZ.
>>
>>80705068
They were referring to how the trilogy was before this and how it's not over yet, they just phrased ut terribly.

They explain this on their site
>>
Alvin and The Chipmunks

and by that I mean all it's live action movies ruined it, not from 2 onwards
>>
>>80707168

Dragonball > Z
>>
What's the name of that one movie series with kid dinosaurs?
>>
>>80704810
WiR 2 and Frozen 2 are in production though
>>
>>80708885

The Reptilians of Cretaceous Wood
>>
>>80708885
the land before time
>>
File: 1288604544416.jpg (34 KB, 636x480) Image search: [Google]
1288604544416.jpg
34 KB, 636x480
>>80708916
>Hey, you know that incredibly touching and timeless film about growing up in the face of adversity with some slight Christian undertones? Yeah, let's make 15 fucking musicals with shitty songs/writing/production/animation
I think I've seriously been mad about this shit for 20 years. What's worse is that the songs in the second and third movie still clearly resonate in my head.
>HE'S JUST A BABY YOU DON'T WANT TO FRIGHTEN HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIM. BABY YOU DON'T WANT TO FRIGHTEN HIM
Fuck. Fuck you for reminding me. Fuck this gay earth. I'm glad Ducky is dead and didn't get to see this shit
>>
>>80708990
>I'm glad Ducky is dead
fucking brutal, why not "I wish ducky was alive and all this shit didn't happen"

>mad for 20 years
triggered
>>
>>80708990
>i'm glad ducky is dead

STONE
COLD
>>
>>80709352
STEVE
AUSTIN
>>
>>80709352
STONE
GRAVE
>>
>>80704148
The later films rather sucked, but I don't think Shrek was ruined by them. People just... didn't bother watching them.
>>
>>80710550
>implying almost all of the internet hasn't watched it either because they liked it or the memes got them interested, or so that they could find every part of the movies to make a meme
If anything the movies after probably got way fucking more audience in some way
>>
>>80710550
I was lucky in that the Shrek sequels came out during a time when I thought I was too cool and mature to watch animated kids movies. I only ever saw the first and remember it fondly.
>>
>>80710701
retard
>>
>>80708909
zozzle
>>
>>80708878
Cell Saga was the peak of the series. Practically everyone contributed and had screen time.
>>
>>80706329
But 2 is better than 1 in every way.
>>
>>80710550
Shrek 2 is better than 1 though.

Shrek 1 was really just a typical fantasy story but with mixed message of hating Eisner. 2 is where Shrek finally got to establish its setting.

And I disagree in that the later films suck in that only 3 is really the worst out of the bunch. 4 is still pretty good.
>>
It's just really odd for one studio to milk one of their franchises like this
Blue Sky may have done some other animated movies, but it only really gets associated with ice age
>>
>>80711658
which is sad because their other works are pretty decent to good

and Rio is being milked too, and has the same problem of IA - tossing away humans
>>
>>80704114
>14 years ago, after watching the first one
Mom: That was fun, I wonder if they'll do a sequel
Me: How could they POSSIBLY do a sequel, mom? They already gave back the baby, there's nothing to be done.

Oh the innocence of youth.
>>
>>80711658
I wouldn't have even realized they did the peanuts movie if they hadn't also included a Scrat short before it.
>>
>>80711742
surprised they never touched again on what ever happened to the baby after they delivered it in any of the sequals.
>>
>>80713475
He will grow up and kill them all
>>
File: Despicable_Me_Poster.jpg (68 KB, 300x444) Image search: [Google]
Despicable_Me_Poster.jpg
68 KB, 300x444
>>
>>80713839
I didn't even like the original.
>>
>>80711634
what's up with 2000s and sequels being GOAT?

Spidey 2
Shrek 2
Blade 2
X-2
>>
>>80713839
>memes
>>
>>80713839
It wasn't even that good to begin with, let alone "legacy" labeling.
>>
>>80713866
Holy shit you're right.
>>
>>80713839
This poster would have been good without the Minions.
I don't even mean that as a general 'Minions suck' thing (although they do), the just clutter the poster. It could have been a nice, quiet scene without them.
>>
>>80713954
I agree, it would have looked like a nice serene scene remove the words on top and minions and it look pretty cool in all honesty
>>
>>80704114
>the one Ice Age where they feature early humans is the least state-of-the-art one
I recall them looking unusually bad even for the time too.
>>
>>80708900
>WiR 2
Its cute that you have hope, but it didn't make the money Frozen did, nor did it win an Oscar. We will have 2 more Frozen films before we see any movement on WiR2
>>
>>80711742
This was always tge reverse with me
Me: I wonder what the next one will be about
Mom: what more is there to tell?
She still doesn't get it
>>
>>80711608
And 3 was worse than both 1 and 2. It did everything the first one did wrong, then the second one fixed, only twice over.
>>
>>80716232
I thought it had more action though. It's weaker than 2, but I put it around 1. 1 however has the advantage of being "new" in concept hence it's seen better than 3.
>>
>>80715920
The fuck is WiR?

Still mad that Despicable Me did so much better than Megamind.
>>
File: blue-sky-bunny-xmas-card-1998.jpg (105 KB, 640x478) Image search: [Google]
blue-sky-bunny-xmas-card-1998.jpg
105 KB, 640x478
>>80704114
>From the Academy Award winning creator of "Bunny"

I recently watched that short in my 3D animation class. People were so easily impressed back then.
>>
>>80709829
OH HELLLLLLLLL YEAH
>>
>>80716570
that was included in the dvd, I thought it was neat

It really pains me to see IA sequels because the commentary and specials in dvd showed how much creative stuff and research they put in IA, like how they refused to put too much cartooniness in it.
>>
>>80716438
Damn-it Daniel
>>
>>80716625
It was okay. It's just that my professor was hailing it as a masterpiece.

Blue Sky Studios never really made movies that I liked but the first IA did seem to have passion behind it. Everyone seemed like they were passionate about their 3D movies back then. I recently saw "The making of Finding Nemo" and they seemed like they were having fun making it. All the animators had to be certified scuba divers and they even had "ugly contests" to relive everyone from stress. Now Pixar just shits out sequels with no love behind them. Everyone does. It feels bad, man.
>>
>>80716410
The animation was really the better of all three, but as for action, it was no more impressive than the first imp, mostly cause the non-Po fights felt too short and the ones Po participated it had him screwing up waaaay too much. In fact, one of my beefs with the movie is how it doesn't take a single moment to take itself a little seriously, even more so than the first one. Doesn't help that while in the 2nd movie we saw Po as a skilled and competent fighter, he goes back to being a screw-up in the 3rd, which makes the fact that the Five job so hard to him again lool even worse.

Also, I found the chi to be a very cheap and lazy plot device.
>>
>>80708855
The Chipmunks were always shit
>>
>>80716922
But now that everyone knows magic, doesn't that excite you to think of how flashy every fight in 4 will be?
>>
>>80717118
Unless they get a better script for a better story, no, not really. But then again I've always been the kind of guy who cares about narrative more than any other element in movies.
>>
>>80715238
They looked really good and clean, what you're calling "odd" is actually a gap of 20,000 years of Darwinian evolution. That's what real Neanderthals looked like.
>>
>>80716753
Daaaaaaaamn-it Daniel, Back at it again with the new wreckers!
>>
What is The Land Before Time?
>>
>>80704196
Blame Disney.

When bought outright by Disney the company told Pixar that they had to make one sequel for every two original films. Pixar otherwise would have been folded into Disney so they could keep the talent and the animation program that Pixar developed.
>>
>>80706504
A fresh, original story, nuanced characters with real motivations (and not just generic monsters which are somehow mute in a world of talking animals), and Scrat was actually funny. The next two feel like someone wrote them after 6 hours of reading TVTropes on Adderall to find the worst cliches to string together.
>>
>>80713839
Capitalist trash from day one
>>
>>80722033
this.

I see many comments out there oftentimes bashing the designs of the humans in the film and calling them 'weird looking' and I can't wrap my head around that. it's as if they somehow forgot that they're supposed to be actual proto humans.
>>
>>80716570
>nose
also the plot was fucked
>>
>>80710550
I watched Shrek 3 thinking it would be as good as 1 and 2, and didnt understand how they dropped the ball so hard, that movie was awful. I dont even know if they continued making movies after that one.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.