[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The movie was trash, but was he a better Lex then he was given
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: spacey-superman-returns.jpg (747 KB, 1200x828) Image search: [Google]
spacey-superman-returns.jpg
747 KB, 1200x828
The movie was trash, but was he a better Lex then he was given credit for?
>>
>>80679418
no one complains about his acting
>>
I thought everyone agreed he was channeling Hackman very well.

Personally I think he was way better than Hackman and felt closer to the comics version, even if it wasn't intentional.
>>
>>80679418
>We'll never get a Superman movie based on the comic books instead of however the director views the character

That sucks, man. Whether it's Singer's Donnerfag-ism or Snyder's... Snyder-isms, I'd rather just get Superman.
>>
File: download.jpg (232 KB, 1000x533) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
232 KB, 1000x533
Not really. He wasn't really Lex and i'd argue that Hackman wasn't really Lex either. Both good actors that did fine jobs but neither were Lex Luthor.

Clancy Brown on the other hand, positively NAILED Luthor. I also liked the artistic decision to base the design on Telly Savalas.
>>
>>80679418
He did an amazing Gene Hackman impersonation.

And I cheered when he was able to punch Superman in the gut. It's weird to have the badguy be the underdog.
>>
I enjoyed the gag at the beginning with the red wig.
>>
It was a fine actor in a terribly written part. The last thing any director or writer should do is encourage Spacey to let out his inner ham, and that's all that he does in that movie.

It's unbearable.
>>
I remember WROOOOOONG being the only thing I took away from it.
>>
>>80679418
a case of the actor doing gangbusters while the script ruins the character.
>>
>>80679533
https://youtu.be/tRVUOGUmxJI?t=7
>>
The biggest problem with this movie was that it was 3 acts that had nothing to do with each other. The beginning was decent, the middle was...nothing, and the end was decent. But none of the acts had anything to do with each other and it made them all WAY worse cause there was no investment into the movie
>>
They should have let him play him closer to Frank Underwood.
>>
File: 1434081827352.jpg (55 KB, 453x640) Image search: [Google]
1434081827352.jpg
55 KB, 453x640
>>80679872
>The last thing any director or writer should do is encourage Spacey to let out his inner ham
>>
>>80679418
Could have been
Fine casting
Awful directing
Then again this is what happens when you let a full blown fanboy director cut loose.
>>
>>80679418
He was basically Hackman 2.0. It was nice and funny, but he was wasted on this turd of a film.

That said, I prefer my capefilms not to be blatant tributes and rehashes to things that already happened. I mean, how fucking lazy do you have to be as a director to look at your actor and say "Okay, basically just be like this guy was 30 years ago"
>>
>>80679418
He was a better casting choice for Lex than he was giving credit for, but whether due to acting or direction just came off as a Hackman retread.

On a side note, it's really surprising that he's the only Lex we've had in live-action who was bald. Why do they always end up having hair?
>>
File: Lexluthor-themovie.jpg (9 KB, 185x185) Image search: [Google]
Lexluthor-themovie.jpg
9 KB, 185x185
>>80681509
>he's the only Lex we've had in live-action who was bald
>>
>>80681581
He was also "wearing a wig" %90 of the movie
>>
>>80681722
Multiple and ever extravagant wigs.
>>
>>80681581
Yeah, but that was the equivalent of a wink at the audience. He's got the wig on 95% of the time. It's not like he stops wearing it in Superman 2.
>>
>>80681509
>Why do they always end up having hair?
Because Lex being bald isn't part of who he is. It's just a physical feature, and can be changed without changing who he is.
>>
File: you diseased maniac.jpg (59 KB, 820x426) Image search: [Google]
you diseased maniac.jpg
59 KB, 820x426
>>80679418
I loved this movie mainly for Luthor. Superman felt like he didn't have enough to do in his own movie. That was its only real flaw imo. You can nitpick some things here or there, but the main reason people hate it ("it's a chick flick/it's boring") is because Superman doesn't do anything.

I loved how Luthor used his cunning to trick Superman, who never really understood what he was planning until it was too late. And I REALLY love how Superman wins just because HE'S SUPERMAN. It's tradition!
>>
>>80681910
It's a physical feature that adds to his characterization though. It'd be like a Dr. Doom that isn't disfigured.
>>
>>80679832

That right there is the tension which our willing suspension of dibelief struggles against in light of our knowledge that in these stories the good guys always win. Knowing that fact can make the bad guys the underdog which you root for, no matter how terrible it would be if they ever won.

Which, by the by, is why Mark Millar's "Wanted" is so under-rated and misunderstood as a commentary on "cheering for the bad guy." People genuinely seem incapable of grasping the message of that ending because they feel so insulted by it.
>>
Such a waste of a great casting.
>>
>>80679418
He looked an acted the part pretty well but his entire scheme was fucking retarded. Like literally something a retard would come up with.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.