[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I never watched Gargoyles when I was younger. How much did I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 7
File: 6dce950bdff9b908006ba3521ecae243.png (348 KB, 1280x1095) Image search: [Google]
6dce950bdff9b908006ba3521ecae243.png
348 KB, 1280x1095
I never watched Gargoyles when I was younger. How much did I miss out on? Was it a decent show?
>>
>>80667508
how about you just watch it and shut up
>>
I think it holds up. I rewatched them all a few months ago.
>>
>>80667508
>never watched
sad, dude
>miss out on
aside from a good growing-up inspiration, nothing you can't easily acquire by watching it now. it's not like there was a community...
well, there was, later. kinda decent online community. first a shared fanfic universe, lots of lewdness, then when greg put his series bible online, a more sort of sense of extended canon.. plus some conventions that went on until like 2010 or so. pretty cool shit. i never got into any of that
>decent show
no. rescue rangers was a decent show. this was a masterpiece. you hear me? BTAS-tier and then some.
>>
First off, don't watch Season Three. Greg and the crew only worked on the first episode then left.

Second, you didn't miss out on much, but it's one of those shows I'd still recommend watching all the way through. There aren't any real "Filler" episodes either. Everything eventually leads up to the next plot line well enough.
>>
>>80667593
just recently finished a rewatch. each time i watch season 3 it gets worse and worse. last time it had been just 'oh well this isnt canon but it aint so bad'
but upon this rewatching.. jiminy CHRIST it's bad. i have no desire to watch it again.
>>
File: pizzaz innuendo.gif (1 MB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
pizzaz innuendo.gif
1 MB, 500x280
>>80667508
It's one of my favorite kids' action cartoons from the '90s.

It's similar to BTAS in tone.

Also,
>mfw Keith David is a VA
>>
>>80667533
Just remember, only the first season and half of the second were ever released officially on DVD so have fun with TV rips... Unless the brief period the show was officially uploaded to youtube by Disney was A) of better quality and B) ripped by someone.

Incidentally the show was actually very good... It occasionally suffered under the weight of its own lore and the "Goliath Chronicles" portion at the end was abysmal leftfovers.

But there's an episode where a guy who was the embodiment of all the extras ever hassled by the gargoyles got revenge on the show's lead gargoyle, Goliath, by tricking him into opening a spring loaded pie in the box.

So that gives you a sense of the comedy the show would bring to bear, and entire revenge plot episode ends with a pie in the face of a thousand year old inhuman.
>>
Man, did the quality teeter wildly during that whole GOLIATH AND ELIZA ON A BOAT sequence of episodes.
>>
>>80667593
>>80667681
Different anon, I did read about the original creators stance on Season 3, and I didn't watch it, so I'm wondering if the comics are worth it. Worth it enough for a read and/or a buy?
>>
>>80667681
i heard the second half of season 2 DVD finally came out
in any case there are decent rips on toonova
>>80667738
not the quality, they were among the best episodes.. but the pacing.
and that is because disney fucked them around. Like, you guys think disney fucked around with alex hirsch, try being greg weisman
>we liked your first season. can you make us 65 episodes for season 2?
>oh god no, we aren't equipped for that. but we could do 26..
>no, if you can't give us 65, all you get is 13
>.. okay fine, thanks.
(months later)
>no, give us 65. that's an order
they had to scramble, hire out additional studios, work ridiculous hours, and they barely managed to squeeze out what they did., which was something like 42. it left a biiig scheduling and pacing gap in the 'world tour'
>>
>>80667825
the story is worth it. the art is... inconsistent, but pretty disappointing even at its best.
>>
>>80667879
Maybe that's what I was thinking... It's been years since I've seen the re-runs on toon disney.
>>
>>80667901
Shit. Well, piracy it is then.
I bet the fuckers are hard to find, no?
>>
>>80667943
i don't know, i bought them all. wanted to support the brand, yknow? show disney we care
yknow what disney did?
raised the license fee. shut em down.
>>
File: hopesanddreams.png (258 KB, 386x393) Image search: [Google]
hopesanddreams.png
258 KB, 386x393
>>80668010
You're really bumming me out, anon. I was actually hype to read where the show left off.
>>
>>80667593
While you're right that there are no real "filler" episodes, and every episode leads up to something or shows it's effects in another, I was really starting to feel the weight at the end of the World Tour.

I just wanted to see Brooklyn again.
>>
>>80668060
gargoyles is pain
it was pretty neat though. they even got a spinoff of the reformed villains called BAD GUYS
>>
>>80668063
it did stretch on quite long in that regard. obviously if they'd had more time to plan they could have given us more 'meanwhile, the guys back home' episodes.
>>
>>80667508
The head/face is so off model it pains me.
>>
>>80667508
Honestly, even if you had seen it as a kid, so much of it would've probablty been over your head enough that rewatching it as an adult would be mandatory anyway.

I only caught a few episodes as a kid and I was like "I'M BEING THROWN IN THE DEEP END OF THIS SHAKESPEAREAN PRESENT-AND-PAST BULLSHIT WHO ARE ALL THESE PEEEOPLE" and didn't really truly appreciate until it seeing it as a teen on Jetix, so just enjoy it for its own strengths now. It's one of the few cartoons totally appreciable by adutls.
>>
>>80667508
I was obsessed with this goddamn show.

It was deepest thing on Disney by far.
>>
>>80668144
that's what pains you about this drawing?
shit i love me some lewdgoyles but that is just grotesque

anyone remember the old fanfic shit, where demona had found her son jericho on avalon and they were totally fucking? that was my first introduction to fanfiction, i found it amazing that people could just 'continue' a canceled show with their imaginations.. and get lewd as fuck
>>
>>80668156
What's weird is how sure i was about my very very incorrect headcanons. I misunderstood the show so badly at first, there's no way I had actually seen it. Like, I thought that the 1000 years of stone spell was the reason they turned to stone at all, as if a piece of that spell had lingered. I was like SURE that happened.
>>
>>80667508
buy it, all three DVD sets can be bought off Amazon for less than 30 bucks total(this leaves out the one episode of season 3 that is canon, but it's not hard to find elsewhere)
>>
I rewatched it all last summer. The fist season is fantastic, hold up wonderfully. First half of second season is amazing and then sort of drags out in the second half with a pretty good finale. Feel free to skip season three.
>>
>>80668268
aha, so the second half of s2 DID come out on DVD. i thought so
i really should buy it someday. though I think one of the toon disney edits made it to dvd
it's sad too disney wouldnt approve any commentary. weisman said he'd do it for free but they wouldnt even pay for it to be encoded onto the disks.
>>
>>80668328
I actually feel like the post-avalon-tour episodes were kinda.. too fast. it wasn't enough, man! but what a damn ride. it tied up so much.
>>
>>80667508
>Was it a decent show?

Not really. I recently rewatched it and didn't have an enjoyable time. Half of the villain roster is poor and annoying, and most of the plot threads have decent build up with disappointing resolutions.

Save for several mature themes, the show hasn't really held up.
>>
>>80667681
Actually they released part 2 of Season 2 not that long ago.
https://www.amazon.com/Gargoyles-Season-2-Keith-David/dp/B00MHT49LS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1457758424&sr=8-2&keywords=Gargoyles+Season+2
>>
>>80668403
The problem is that they spent way too much time screwing around on the Avalon world tour setting up backdoor pilots for spinoffs that were never going to happen - seriously, Easter Island megalith aliens? - and no time at all resolving any of a dozen different lingering storylines. I feel like they could've made a much better use of the number of episodes they were expected to fill if they'd spent less time filling time.
>>
>>80668643
i guess it might look that way if you haven't looked into weisman's plans at length.
the important thing wasn't the sentinel, it was who he was there to guard against.
>>
>>80667533
it wont be the same.
>>80667508
you missed out big time. im sorry
>>
>>80667943

http://s1132.photobucket.com/user/xGumChewingGunnerx/library/Gargoyles%20Clan%20Building?sort=6&page=1
>>
>>80668693
For all the talk about Weisman's autistic level of planning, I see absolutely no indication from the back half of season two that he had any idea where Gargoyles was going. The Avalon world tour is proof positive that there was no real roadmap, just a grab bag of half-baked ideas that had to be rushed into production to fill an episode order that he was entirely unprepared for.

And, yeah, big whoop; the big-headed alien was supposed to protect the Earth from aliens that looked just like Goliath. And Brooklyn was supposed to travel through time with the magical macguffin they intentionally wrote out of the story because it was too much of a Deus Ex and Dingo was going to lead the off-brand Suicide Squad.
>>
File: demona.jpg (274 KB, 587x675) Image search: [Google]
demona.jpg
274 KB, 587x675
>>80668144

better?
>>
>>80668965
>the show i watched is 'proof' because i saw it
>but the creator's notes aren't because i haven't read them
try to see past the end of your own nose, dude.
>>
File: xanotos_android.png (565 KB, 816x618) Image search: [Google]
xanotos_android.png
565 KB, 816x618
>>80668600
>Half of the villain roster is poor and annoying, and most of the plot threads have decent build up with disappointing resolutions.

This. Also, the writers have this weird since of complacency. The protagonists are hardly ever proactive.
>Goliath and the castle
>Elisa and her brother working for Xanatos
>MacBeth and Demona
>Owen/Puck's plans
They have chances to easily stop conflicts but choose not to unless they're immediate threats. It makes the show feel like a drag and the characters look really dumb.

I've read that some of the writers later moved on to make the 2003 tmnt. If it's true, then they actually realized all their big fuckups in Gargoyles, realizing not to overuse villains and actually progress a story.
>>
File: 360px-SphinxNO.jpg (29 KB, 360x417) Image search: [Google]
360px-SphinxNO.jpg
29 KB, 360x417
>>80668965
I was disappointed that we never got that New Olympians series he wanted to do. Actually, I think that show idea predated Gargoyles.

The idea of the mythical creatures coming back to the world in full view of the public, some wanting peace, others wanting to continue isolation, and some wanting to be worshiped as gods again, with a star-crossed romance at the center just sounded all kinds of fantastic.

Real shame we'll never get that.
>>
>>80669014
Unless it actually airs, story bibles are just so much apocrypha. Weisman had an opportunity to tell the story he wanted to and instead we had to sit through Goliath Meets the Golem; the Crazy Mixed-Up Island of Mythical Creatures Where Humans are Outcasts; and, my personal favorite, an entire episode of Vinnie the Security Guard and his pie launcher.
>>
>>80669050
did you actually watch the show or are you just trolling. elisa didn't work for xanatos, and when her brother did, she constantly told him not to
>>
>>80669050
>Owen/Puck's plans
for example...?
>>80669079
I feel like that's what Mummies Alive should have been like.
>>80669100
>my personal favorite hahaha i'm being sarcastic
see above, the seventh poster in this thread fucking loved that episode. it's genius, no matter what you think

now as for 'Jalapena', yeah that needs to die. and that's coming from someone who fully supports Hello Megan! and whelmed.
>>
Anyone remember that one episode that was animated weird, but made Eliza super-hot?
>>
>>80668965
The people at Disney at the time were trying to create their own animated universe at the time to compete with Marvel's cartoons. So they wanted Weisman to create a bunch of possible pilots and possible plotlines to expand the universe.
>>
>>80669195
i wanna say there were two of those, but the one you're thinking of is the second Proteus episode. part of season 3. "Seeing Isn't Believing"
>>80669252
that was their idea? whoa, i didn't know that.
>>
>>80667508
Eh. I liked it as a kid but didn't love it, and never felt compelled to watch it as an adult.
I don't think I like the tone.
>>
>>80668063
This. Why did the world tour even happen? It just seemed like twenty episodes of Greg's show ideas being given backdoor pilots.
>>
>>80669365
curious. what kind of shows do you like the tone of?
>>
>>80669178
>Jalapena
Wasn't that added on a bet, and was kept to just mess with one of the cast or crew?
>>
>>80669368
golly i dunno. why would an endangered species go all over the world and end up finding remnants of their kind?
>>
>>80669444
he claims he genuinely liked it. i dunno he's weird. he's out of touch with a lot for someone who writes so well. i think maybe being into shakespeare fucks up your sense of cool
your story sounds pretty goddamn plausible though. it comes off like "to anyone who thinks this is another street sharks or biker mice from mars trying to be another ninja turtles, well, here's our cowabunga/feedingfrenzy/rocknride"
>>
>>80669368
Oh, don't get me wrong, it's an interesting concept, and a lot of those episodes are great. The episode with Griff actually tugs on my heartstrings, even today.

It just goes on for WAY too long.
>>
>>80669379
Nothing curious at all.
I prefer shows that are less somber and grandiloquent, more on the lighter side of things.
>>
>>80669494
oh okay
nothin wrong with liking lighter fare I guess. I just hope you're aware of how hard it is on those of us who DO like grandiloquence and how goddamn rare it is.
>>
>>80669486
The street sharks' catchphrase was "feeding frenzy"? Not exactly something that would have me trust them
>>
>>80669568
they also had JAWESOME and SHARK DIVE
>>
>>80669454
That was only in like two of the episodes though. The rest they were doing pointless shit like smoking peyote in the Australian Outback or finding the Loch Ness Monster.
>>
>>80669593
okay so you're trolling now. that's a relief.
>>
>>80669568
Rule 1 of superheroes: their violent themes are meant to intimidate villains, but as long as you're good you have nothing to fear.
>>
I felt like Gargoyles' cosmology got immeasurably smaller by making All Mythology, Ever either gargoyles or children of Oberon. It just really bothered the hell out of me to see Odin, Allfather, chief of the gods of Norse mythology, subordinate to a fucking fairy.
>>
>>80669610
I was joking about the peyote, but unless I'm misremembering they did go to the Australian Outback where I believe there was a vision quest involved, and another time they found Xanatos trying to capture the Loch Ness Monster.
>>
>>80669709
actually yeah they got the vision quest shit so wrong that you're right to mock that aspect
but you're leaving out what was awesome about both of those episodes, despite their flaws (massive, MASSIVE scale issues with nessie for example). like dingo being based. and the grey goo scenario. and pregnant fox.
and the one in loch ness was the always-great sevarius, and he already had nessie. he was trying to catch her dad.
>>
>>80669526
I dont really see it that way. Hollywood does nothing but grandiloquence, even comedic blockbusters try to pretend they're deep and serious. And a lot of cartoons too.
Serious dramatic media isn't rare at all, only good ones are (which certainly plays into me avoiding them in general).
>>
>>80669637
Sounds like the SS to me.
>>
>>80669746
you're kidding right
nothing has taken itself remotely serious in a LONG time, especially not cartoons.
>>
>>80669769
well, yeah. i think it's safe to say almost everything the nazis did (openly, i mean) would have been okay if they were in the right. they just happened to not be. except on like, two things. everybody agrees on at least that much.
>>
>>80668879
Thanks for the assist, anon!
>>
>>80669931
But that's wrong. Lok took itself super seriously. So does SU.
Even MCU flicks can't stop pretending there's huge stakes to them despite the omnipresent comedy.
>>
>>80667508

Does this show stream anywhere? Like Netflix or Hulu or whatever? I watched it as a kid but I haven't seen it in years, but I don't really want to have to buy the DVDs.
>>
>>80672934
http://kisscartoon.me/Cartoon/Gargoyles
>>
I really liked that Pokemon x Gargoyles+Darkstalkers comic. You know, where Brock fucks Felicia.
>>
>>80673067
>Pokerotica

Thanks for reminding me to fap to this before bed.
>>
start watching, it will probably be your next favourite show
>>
File: Demona_red_eye.jpg (14 KB, 318x236) Image search: [Google]
Demona_red_eye.jpg
14 KB, 318x236
Demona was my first fap.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.