[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did this stand the test of time? Why is it still being held as
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
File: Spider-Man 2.jpg (1 MB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
Spider-Man 2.jpg
1 MB, 800x1200
Did this stand the test of time? Why is it still being held as the golden standard of superhero movies?
>>
Definitely not. It aged like milk and everyone was pretty fucking bad, excluding norman osborns actor, who they of course covered with a stupid power rangers mask. It's only still held as the golden standard because it was the first comic book movie where the comic character actually looked like what he did in the comics, and especially rose tinted nostalgia goggles.
>>
The camp still works and if anything the tone lines up well with recent superhero films - not something most older superhero films can claim.

Overall its has a great story, a good balance between humour, action and emotion, and is easily the best film adaption of a superhero character.
>>
>>80656385
No and no.
>>
>>80656465
You're talking about the first one. OP seems to be talking about the 2nd one.
>>
>>80656385
>Did this stand the test of time.
Yes.
>Why is it still being held as the golden standard of superhero movies?
Because it looks and feels like a comic book. It was one of the last fun comic book movies.

Now everything is grimdark closeups of people growling lines about justice and war. There's never going to be a comic book film that just focuses on the camp of Silver Age comics.
>>
Unless you're an autist whining about the CG, it's pretty fucking great.
>>
Nah. Mary Jane is still an unlikable cunt that thinks everything should revolve around her, even abandoning a good man at the wedding alter.

Raised stakes and better screenplay aside, I'd still say that the first one holds up better as a story.
>>
>>80656385

This is terrible, it wasn't as good as Iron Man or Watchmen
>>
Are those fucking COLORS?
0/10 terrible
>>
i watch the first two raimi films pretty regularly and i personally feel they aged pretty well

the cg is mostly really good, the stunts feel epic, the fight scenes are great, and the campy chemistry between dunst, maguire and franco always makes me smile
>>
>>80656548
Yeah thats what I hate about Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man. They're too fucking grimdark.
>>
>>80656676
>Nah. Mary Jane is still an unlikable cunt that thinks everything should revolve around her, even abandoning a good man at the wedding alter.
Holy fucking shit, this. Not to mention John was a legitimately good guy who had his shit together.
>>
>>80656548
>Now everything is grimdark closeups of people growling lines about justice and war

You could have gotten away with saying this about five years ago, but we now live in a world where Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, and Deadpool were massive hits.
>>
>>80656385
It has alot of dumb shit. But is overall still a really fun spider-man movie. And the fight between spidey and Doc Ock on the train is just as awesome now as it was back then.
>>
>>80656761
Show me a pegging or brutal impalement scene in Spider-Man.

Comic movies have become progressively more violent. They're no longer campy, they're post-modern and ironic and fucking insufferable. GotG was not a good movie.
>>
>>80656761
I agree that those are all great and fun movies but it's a shame that they're all B-list franchises, while Superman and Spiderman are growlydark instead of lighthearted.
>>
>>80656548
>>80656810
>>80656830
To be fair, the Marvel/Sony Spider-Man 2017 reboot has been said to be more of an intimate, fun high school movie in the lines of a John Hughes movie like Ferris Bueller.
>>
>>80656385
Spider-Man 1 was always better. Just replace Maguire with a better actor and you've got the perfect film.
>>
>>80656385
It was the modern super hero movie that proved leather outfits aren't needed to make a huge hit.

So its influence is big today.

It had bad moments, but altogether its a fun movie. Like Superman 1 and 2, its survived to the point where you shrug or laugh at the camp.
>>
>>80656742
I remember when Spider-Man 2 came out, people on a message board I went to at the time were speculating that Spider-Man 3 would show John going into space and getting infected with the symbiote, becoming Venom.

But nope, he was never mentioned again.
>>
>>80656810
The pegging was a love scene between two people enjoying each others company. And spider-man 2 had a slow motion man slipping into the depths after drowning.....oh and in spider-man 1 the Green Goblin is brutally impaled.
>>
File: Best Capefilm Scene.jpg (32 KB, 364x273) Image search: [Google]
Best Capefilm Scene.jpg
32 KB, 364x273
>>80656385
Yes because its still one of the few capeshit movies out there that gives a damn about the protagonist and he goes through an actual character arc and development, which isn't only rare for sequels but rare for this subgenre to begin with.

It's been 12 years since this movie came out. There still isn't a single scene from anything capeshit that's on par with the direction, camera work and acting in the scene where Peter tells Aunt May he's responsible for Ben's death.
>>
>>80657089
Did she know? I remember walking out of the theater after it was over with the impression that she knew.
>>
>relatable characters
>interesting main story
>competent love story
>intense but "believable" action sequences
>good balance of humor and seriousness

It's no Citizen Kane but it pretty much perfectly does what a superhero movie is supposed to do.
>>
>>80656676
>>80656922

I agree. Plus, Goblin's motivations were way more believable than Doc Ock's.
>>
>>80657198
She more than likely did given her speech to him when they were moving out of the house.
>>
>>80656385
I thought the first Ironman was the golden standard
The spider-man movies were the unfortunate first tries (and one great game who's webslinging would be tossed aside for inferior versions time and time again)
>>
>>80656385
MY BALLOON
>>
I haven't gone back to them, but people treat X-Men and X2 with similar reverence and those movies are fucking trash in retrospective.
>>
>>80656810
"Godspeed, Spider-Man"
>>
What about The Dark Knight? Is that still being praised?
>>
>>80656985
Apparently he was planned to be coupled with a new character or Gwen Stacy in Spiderman 4
>>
>>80656385
It's still the best capeflick we've got IMO. Totally nails the essence of the character of Peter Parker and what Spider-Man stands for.

What doesn't age well:
>MJ
Dunst is really annoying in these movies
>cgi
I mean it's over 10 years old now
>>
>>80656385
it was shit then it s shit now. the only character who could act played second fiddle to his own damn tentacles.
>>
Yes. Because of this >>80656477.
>>
>>80656385
Spider-man 2 still has the best superhero movie villain to date imo
>>
File: 88.jpg (51 KB, 865x372) Image search: [Google]
88.jpg
51 KB, 865x372
OOPS, BUTTERFINGERS
>>
>That scene when Pete admits he caused Ben's death to May
>>
>>80656679
>Iron Man
>good

I love this meme.
American people have a strange taste, indeed. First it was Iron Man, now it is the Revenant. What is it with American people and their taste for shitty movies?
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.