[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do they keep giving Superman spacesuits and breathing apparatus(and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: Superman's_new_space_suit.png (273 KB, 661x478) Image search: [Google]
Superman's_new_space_suit.png
273 KB, 661x478
Why do they keep giving Superman spacesuits and breathing apparatus(and often so inconsistently)?

I can understand needing something around his mouth so he can use a communicator to talk to Batman or whomever when in space, but the only time I've ever actually read anything where his need for oxygen is actually relevant and immediate, is whenever he assumes somebody he's fighting, that's in his league when it comes to general power, needs oxygen too and tries to incapacitate them by choking them out in the vacuum of space.
>>
Toys
>>
Never read the Exile saga I take it?
>>
Superman is like a turtle. He needs to breathe, but he can hold his breath for a very long time.
>>
>>80653934

The Timmverse Superman has always been pretty consistent with needing a suit for prolonged space activity.
>>
It'll sell in a pack with different Superman outfits at Toys R Us.
>>
the higher ups were pushing them to do toyetic costumes and they wanted to scale back Superman's powers anyway. he did at least need some kind of breathing apparatus to communicate with STAR labs and having a anti-kryptonite suit is good sense.
>>
>>80653934
>>80653989

I like this actually.

It keeps him from being more OP than he already is.

gives him some vulnerability like the rest of us humans.
>>
>>80654160
and it makes sense. the sun gives him fuel, but you need fuel AND oxygen to perform combustion, whether a fire or a rocket or an engine or a gun or an animal
>>
>>80653934
Sometimes it's written as Superman not knowing that he doesn't NEED to breathe. I think that makes sense since he would be breathing all his life and would have no way of knowing whether or not he would be able to survive in space without oxygen. It would suck pretty bad to have Superman dead because he thought he didn't need oxygen.
>>
>>80654837
He does need to breathe though.
>>
Pretty sure Byrne Superman needed a suit in space, too.

I just wonder how you go about making a suit Superman can work in without breaking when he needs to do heavy shit.
>>
>>80653934
TOYS you retard
>>
>>80655289
He doesnt you casual
>>
STAS Superman was just weaker though, bad example.

>>80655289
He "needs" to breathe but he can hold his breath long enough that it's irrelevant.
>>
>>80655868
Same material as his costume, with a helmet. You could even use the helmet's glass to magnify his heat vision, making him stronger at range without having to deal with zero-G.
>>
>>80653934
Vast majority of cartoons in the west aren't primarily made to entertain, they're made to sell toys.
>>
>>80655868
You mention Byrne Superman but you don't know about the bioaura that protects things he wears?
>>
>>80653934
radiation. while he has gone into space without a space suit every one knows super man is vulnerable to a specific brand of radiation

while it may not be expected out in space if kryptonite is a mineral it may exist any where in space floating about. its radiation may be focused by the van allen belts so if he is close enough for earth to look like it does in your pic thats a factor

you may notice his suit doesnt look like a normal space suit ever. its just a lead suit on roids
>>
>choking them out in the vacuum of space.
you can apply pressure to the neck area to block off blood flow, incapacitating them.
>>
>>80653934
>>80653934
>>80653974

Actually I... really like this explanation. It balances it out his power level.
>>
>>80653934
Maybe it's to allow him one freeze breath if need be?
>>
>>80653934
He is organic, so he needs to get oxygen from somewhere for his composition. I think there was also bits where he eats only because he wants to, this would make him need breathe to get carbon dioxide like plants do.
>>
How can Superman talk in space with out air?
>>
>>80657054
He reverses his digestive process and farts out his mouth.
>>
>>80653974
not anymore I think, atleast supergirl didn't need to
>>
>>80656155
Only skintight stuff, though. That's why his cape and Clark Kent clothes could tear. The Supersuit or a sexy skin-tight t-shirt would be invulnerable, though.
>>
>>80657107
That's called burping
>>
>>80657653
Not if you use the gas from your intestinal tract.
>>
>>80653934
Does superman not have tears? Cause they'd be boiling constantly in a vacuum.
>>
>>80653974
Not after he learned how not to need air.
>>
>>80654160
What makes you think that's a good thing for Superman?
>>
>>80655289
Nope.
>>
File: intredasting.jpg (40 KB, 604x499) Image search: [Google]
intredasting.jpg
40 KB, 604x499
If Superman doesn't need oxygen (or air of any kind), does that mean he can be decapitated and live for a substantial time?

What kills you during massive trauma like that isn't the failure of the organs in question (unless it is the heart or brain), it's the lack of oxygen that was formerly delivered by the blood.

Without oxygen, your brain goes unconscious in under 10 seconds and then by a few minutes time, be completely dead.
Oxygen is the limiting factor to our conciousness.

So, if Supes doesn't need O2, then another requirement of the brain is a limiting factor. Food? Waste disposal?
Either way, such things would take in the least minutes before being noticed.

Superman could be decapitated or otherwise have his body destroyed and it may take hours for him to die, while full awake.
>>
>>80658848
Supes needs sunlight like we need water, if you cut off his body he'd "starve" in a few minutes.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.