[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Marvel selling more than DC? Their product isnt better,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 4
File: BUqziJk[1].jpg (126 KB, 648x853) Image search: [Google]
BUqziJk[1].jpg
126 KB, 648x853
Why is Marvel selling more than DC? Their product isnt better, the classical library of DC has a lot more products than the one ir Marvel, the animated movies and series has a lot more quality in it aswell.

Is it because of the movies? Their way of making ther suerheroes more funny?

Whats your opinion?
>>
>>80649021

>DC

>owned by Warner Brothers who are clown shoes incompetent

>Marvel

>owned by Disney, kings of global merchandising

How is this even a question? Is this a b8 thread?
>>
Disney have their fingers in everything, are great at marketing, cross-promotion and just regular PR. Warner Bros are almost as retarded as Fox.
>>
File: 1.jpg (138 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
138 KB, 1024x576
>2014

They aren't selling like that anymore.
>>
>>80649021
I didnt know that the gap between them were so big.
>>
>>80649021
Because growing up if you didn't like comics dc was lame, other than batman thanks to batman 89. Marvel had all the cool heroes like the X-Men, spidey,Hulk, ghost rider. The only time I really remember anybody really caring for DC is when supes died
>>
>>80649117
>still this insistence this film is not going to be bad
Suicide Squad will probably save the DC studio brand though.
>>
For one thing...

Marvel/Disney is in cahoots with Hasbro
You don't beat Hasbro

DC is with Mattel, aren't they going under/getting bought by Hasbro?
>>
>>80649177
>if you don't like DC its because you like Marvel
I love this /v/ mentality of yours anon
>>
>>80649135
Do you really think that these heroes are more interesting than Flash, Wondie and Lantern?
When i was growing up these were the thing that me and my friends were into. From Marvel, we liked X-Men and thats all.
>>
>>80649177
Evey time I see Jared Leto's name on this movie, I keep thinking it's J Leno and get sad that his chin isn't in a superhero movie.
>>
>>80649197
You love anything that's thrown at you because you're pathetic
>>
>>80649240
Again, loving the whole /v/ attitude, where did you get it?
>>
>>80649021

DC have been putting all their eggs in one basket for so long everyone's forgotten their other properties.
>>
>>80649177
How is that a Marvel drone statement?
>>
>>80649083
>Warner Bros are almost as retarded as Fox.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around Fox having a movie as successful and good as Deadpool less than a year after Fant4stick.
>>
>>80649250
Your mom really, whilst fucking hardcore
>>
DC alienated large portions of their fanbase that fled to Marvel post New 52 and how it was handled, they also earned a bad rep which has followed them and discourages new readers from them.
>>
>>80649296
Whats is this rep that you're talking about?
>>
>>80649021
Do you shitposters even understand that chart?
>>
>>80649215

Marvelbro perspective on DC:

Flash - he moves fast
Wonderwoman - superman with tits and a lasso
Green Lantern - a dude with a god ring

Plus, all these heroes have had power creep up the ass like all DC heroes so I'm sure they have a ton of ancillary powers. Why as a Marvelbro should I care about these characters ?
>>
>>80649215
>Do you really think that these heroes are more interesting than Flash, Wondie and Lantern?

Not that guy, and these days I have no preference for Marvel or DC, but yeah he's right at least for me as well....

Superman and Batman were the only DC characters anybody I or anyone I knew knew about to any length, and Superman was still considered "square" or "corny"

The rest of the League were on the pay no mind list, as far as anybody was concerned the last time they appeared in anything at all was the Superfriends

If you grew up more in the 00's , with the Justice League cartoon, I can definitely see them being viewed as much cooler, but prior to that nobody really gave a crap in my experience

Meanwhile, even Marvel characters who are not that popular in the mainstream now like Venom, Punisher, Ghost Rider, etc, all were pretty way more popular amongst friends of mine than the big name DC heroes because they were badass

I think Marvel definitely ruled the 90s as far as that stuff goes, while DC became much more prominent than Marvel in the 00s cause of JL and Teen Titans....X Men and Spidey were the only Marvel things still popular then and mostly just X-Men due to movies, while Spider-Man was viewed as kind of kiddy stuff
>>
i believe that our generation has grow with the animated DC series of the 90's. So the reason why Marvel is so succesful must be marketing and better management
>>
>>80649240
Spoken like a true neckbeard
>>
>>80649315
Explain to us, genius.
>>
>>80649308
They have a reputation for being old-school, out of touch, and shitty which is sad/dumb because they've got more genuine diversity and better stories.
>>
>>80649319
So you only care about power sets and not about writing?

>/co/
>reading comics

I almost forgot.
>>
>>80649021
People older than 14 don't buy toys. DC fanbase has been older for 3 decades.
>>
>>80649021
Because the comics don't matter a lick. They prolly much only keep them around because Diamond's business model makes them at least pay for themselves.

It's the IPs and the franchise business that's moving money for Disney and Warner.
>>
>>80649371

All the same writers just switch back and forth between the big two. How can DCs writing be that much better?
>>
>>80649319
i don't know, but generaly i found DC stories and lore more interesting. In their own end, all the superheroes are ridiculous inside their own premises. What really makes a interesting one is their story and their villains. I never had any connectons with any MArvel villains except magneto, and the only reason why i know so much about them are the capcom fighting games.
>>
>>80649361
It means Marvel whores out their product way more than DC, thus, has higher sales. Yet, Superman and Batman still sell just as much, if not more than the currently popular Avengers brand. Asians love Spider-Man.
>>
Which is weird considering most stores I know of that sell comic merch have a decidedly DC slant. Unless that means they sold out of Marvel already and that's all that's left.
>>
>>80649448
>How can DCs writing be that much better?

How about you find out for yourself instead of just making assumptions based on superficialities.
>>
>>80649448
it's not 'that' much better, except DC has more Morrison
>>
DC

>Owned by WB, WB doesn't know marketing
>Usually aims for older audience that really isn't into toys, unless they're collecting them
>It's not that often where you see a movie based on a DC franchise

Marvel

>Owned by Disney, you can pretty much slap disney on anything and it will sell like hot cakes
>Aims for broad demographic, which means more sales
>Every month, there's a new movie based on a Marvel franchise
>>
>>80649279
Simple. Deadpool was a vanity project for Ryan Reynolds that he had spent the last 8 years trying to get made. Fox gave them a tiny budget and said "go, do whatever. We don't care." Almost no editorial interference, and they released it in February, the month that you only release movies you're sure are going to bomb.

Fox had zero faith in it, and basically only let it be mad to get Ryan Reynolds and his buddies to stop harassing them over it.

And because they didn't have Fox breathing down their necks and fucking everything up, they were actually able to make a good movie.
>>
>>80649510

Morrison is good but he's not good enough for me to learn a whole new universe that has been around almost 100 years and double my pull list. I'm not Kevin Smith or a NEET. I don't smoke dope all day and shit out a shitty screenplay every couple years. I don't have time to be both a DC and Marvelfag.
>>
>>80649634
Here's my advice:
Read Valiant instead
>>
>>80649448
Show me the Marvel comic China Mieville wrote. Or Genevieve Valentine. Show me the upcoming Marvel comics from Tom King.
>>
>>80649426
> 3 decades older
> trying to catch up to marvel
>>
>>80649021

Marvel through Disney has one of the best marketing machines on the planet. Disney can force a lot of advertising/deals that wouldn't happen normally ala Wallmart.

Warner Bros is not nearly as important or competent in the marketing arena..Also some of the more recent movie bombs really scared away retailers from stocking DC toys.
>>
I cannot believe that the consensus of this thread is that DC has better wrting.

WTF is wrong with you guys?
>>
>>80649715
we don't read comics, we just make shit up and agree with what sounds right
>>
>>80649715
I've read DC comics.

Marvel doesn't know how to write for shit. It's just pandering and self-inserts. They can't even do bad guys right.
>>
>>80649715
Found the Marvel shill. Marvel has never written anything that isn't SJW pandering garbage meanwhile DC is constantly pushing the medium forward in new and imaginative directions comparable to high art.

It's like comparing McDonalds to a perfectly cooked steak from a 5 star restaurant. It's no competition DC is now and always has been blwonig Marvel the FUCK OUT lol.
>>
>>80649805
>Marvel doesn't know how to write for shit. It's just pandering

Pandering is another word for "marketed towards someone other than me"
>>
>>80649227
>Jay Leno as Joker
Isn't Joker supposed to be funny?
>>
>>80649867
No.
>a person who caters to or profits from the weaknesses or vices of others.
It's like potato chips, or cigarettes. Shallow stories lacking uniqueness or depth that just offer temporary feel goods to desperate people who require constant reassurance.
>>
>>80649901
>Isn't Joker supposed to be funny?
Uh... Kinda?
Sometimes?
I got no fucking idea, he's such a mess of a character
>>
File: 1456105171929.gif (208 KB, 323x221) Image search: [Google]
1456105171929.gif
208 KB, 323x221
>>80649021
Marvel has always sold more than DC.
>>80649715
DC fan boys are a delusional lot.>>80649021
>>80649865
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Picture related to this entire thread.
>>
>>80649901
>>80649969
Would Jay's Joker constantly be asking "Have you seen this, have you heard about this?".
>>
Point to me the 5 greatest comics of each company.

Let's see which of the 5's we agree it's better.
>>
>>80649021
DC isn't hip.

It's seen as more "classic" which to a lot people translated to "old" or "traditional" which in turn have connotations with unpopular stuff like "conservative"

Even if Marvel is nearly as old they're still the newer of the two, and none of their characters feel as classic as Superman, so it feels more modern to young people

Doesn't help that they have the better movies right now either
>>
>>80649296
>then people fled from anad marvel and just don't read comics anymore
>indie comic fags will chime in now
>>
>>80650012
Nah bro. Pretty civil thread actually.

MArvel always had better marketing ideas, since de dawn of it's history when the company growded it's lore in a more realistic way.
>>
>>80649920

That might be what it is supposed to mean, sure. But you and I both know that the internet misuses words constantly.

Or have you forgotten what we did to the words 'literally' and 'epic'?

Pandering is just the latest victim.
>>
Well one has our great and powerful overlords known as Disney behind them so I'd think that's a factor
>>
>>80650091

Marvel also has a reputation, which we can debate until the end of time whether it is earned or not, of having more 'complex' heroes that are given more wiggle room to grow before the leash gets yanked.

The perception is that, in general, DC heroes are more about dealing with villains. Batman and Superman and their friends have to stop [bad guy] from doing [bad thing], and they have a specific box that their personality and character isn't allowed to step outside of unless they are being tricked by an outside force or it is the gimmick of a new arc or something. In the 90's, Superman's big thing was he grew a mullet.

But DC heroes, in large part because they are these monolithic and larger than life gods, has a much greater focus on specific stories. This is how you end up with stuff like The Killing Joke or The Man Who Has Everything, really good stories that were never intended to have long term consequences but, completely on their own, work as a very good episode that you can pick up knowing almost nothing about the characters aside from their most basic outlines and deeply enjoy. This is how DC has built up a roster of classic stories/issues that stand out as the best of the best, and they work well in that anyone can just pick up and read them and agree that, yes, this was very good.

[cont]
>>
>>80649021
As someone who lives in ex-commie country I can tell you that nobody here cares about comics and cartoons.

So Marvel wins because of Iron Man and Avengers.
>>
>>80650263

Marvel, on the other hand, has more internal conflict than DC heroes tend to have. Superman and the Flash don't get much room to do anything but fight villains and occasionally have drama about hiding their secret identity from their designated love interest.

Marvel has stuff like Iron Man being a dangerous alcoholic, Captain America having disagreements with the government of the nation he is supposed to represent, the entire Xavier vs Magneto ideological conflict, or Bruce Banner's entire shitshow from being the Hulk against his will.

It may not be especially deep, but it gives the illusion of depth. And, on occasion, it is more than just an illusion.

The Marvel heroes are less monolithic and unchanging, and feel that tiny bit more like characters that are allowed to failed and evolve over time, and (god have mercy) even RETIRE and let someone else take up their mantle. Which has meaning, because Marvel pulls the reboot card far less often than DC traditionally does it, DC reboots being something of a notorious joke. I have, personally, read more variations of Batman's origin story than I have read Superman comics - period.

I'm also hard pressed to name villains in DC, with the possible exception of some of Batman's rogues gallery, that do villainy for anything other than the pure sake of evil. Superman fights so man big strong alien dudes that are basically just space assholes for the sake of being space assholes that they sort of run together. The difference between Mogul and Darkseid is that Mogul is yellow and Darkseid has a cult. Other than that, they are functionally interchangeable.

Marvel has its fair share of bargain bin villains too, but the ones that people remember are the ones that actually have something to them. Doom wants to rule the world because he honestly believes that the world would be better off for it, and sometimes it seems he might even be right. Galactus just wants to live. Etc.
>>
>>80650513
>Which has meaning, because Marvel pulls the reboot card far less often than DC traditionally does it, DC reboots being something of a notorious joke.
I was sort of with you until this blatant lie.

I mean, you have clearly read a couple of trades but do not actually read DC comics at all. It's either that, or just sheer idiocy, behind the reason you think Marvel has a trademark or unfortunate heroes, internal conflict, alcoholism or legacy characters.

Your post is good because it's a functional illustration of how fucking wrong and ignorant the average guy willing to run his mouth off about DC and Marvel is.
>>
>>80649618
and as such, now WB wants to release a R Rated Cut version of Bat vs Supes, and Fox will probably fuck up the Deadpool sequel.
>>
>>80650713
>R Rated Cut version of Bat vs Supes
But why? I mean if there was something important that requires R rating then the whole movie would be released as R in the first place.
>>
>>80649021
They're tied to Disney's marketing engine. Infinity alone probably helps things along.
>>
>>80650824
Even before Disney, I'm sure Marvel was moving a ton of product.

I won't speak to the appeal of the different companies, but as a parent I will say: Marvel is MUCH more heavily represented on tv, and in general seems to have more, and better, toys. Which I feel like is the opposite of when I was a kid.
>>
Despite what /co/ wants to think, Marvel did a great job pandering to, and bringing in a different crowd.

While on top of this, they are also selling the biggest capeshit names on the market.
>>
>>80649021
Marvel has better toys.

Cap Shields.
Meme-I mean-Hulk Hands.
Iron Man accessories.
Thor Hammers.
Spider-Man masks and gadgets
Etc.

What's Superman got? A few crummy action figures. Marvel also has crummy action figures, but they've got way more than just those crummy action figures. Same with any DC hero that isn't Batman.
>>
because Disney
>>
Because Mattel. They've been struggling to stay relevant for decades. Making decent toys would help, but that seems to be beyond them.
>>
>>80649021

>Their product isnt better

DC movies are either awful or focused towards adults who don't buy toys.

Comics are irrelevant to toy sales.
>>
So Spider man is the most popular super hero?
I always thought that it was Batman.
>>
>>80651484
At least for Wonder Woman they could do things like swords, lassos, and shields. And Aquaman's trident.
>>
>>80649021

Marvelfags really are going to commit suicide, aren't they?
>>
>>80652139

They seem to be tied.
>>
>>80652139
Batman is more popular, but spiderman fans actually buy toys... Since a bigger share of them are toys.
>>
>>80653068
>toys buy toys
>>
>>80649021
This chart is outdated, does anyone have more recent data?
>>
>>80649021
Many reasons
>The hugely succesful movies that show case a wide variety of characters, while most of DC's succesful movies have been about Superman and Batman
>Marvel is more agressive in their marketing strategy, thanks in large part to the Disne
>Marvel has succeded at capturing the youth demographic. At the summer camp I was at, the children knew way more about Marvel characters then about DC. It helps that Marvel's movies are more family friendly and that Marvel currently has more cartoons (quality side)
>WB general mismanagement, they can't even get CN to do action DC shows without sabotaging it
>>
Disney
>>
DC is own by WB who isn't very good at merchandising.

Disney on the other hand, they are merchandising moguls.
>>
>>80649021
Back in the 60's DC was #1 and Marvel came up with arguably the most influential runs in cape history, Ditko Spiderman and Kirby FF, and they became #1.

Since then, the only thing DC has tried in order to top them is either copying them or oversaturating their outlet with batman
>>
>>80649021
>the animated movies and series has a lot more quality in it aswell.
Direct-to-video animated movies never sell.
And DC only has one cartoon at the moment, Ten Titans Go!, hardly a very good representation of the barnd. Quality aside, Marvel has 3 cartoons, and they do a good job at recruiting kids into the Marvel brand at a young age, in conjunction with the movies.
>>
>>80654454
>oversaturating their outlet with batman
>OP has Lego Batman
pottery
>>
File: 1444344892255.jpg (101 KB, 641x406) Image search: [Google]
1444344892255.jpg
101 KB, 641x406
Kingdom Come restaurant when? Set that shit up at Six Flags and I'll go every year.
>>
>>80650785
WB thinks Deadpool was a success because it was R rated
>>
>>80656580
WB do this for lots of films. Hobbit 3 being a recent example.
>>
>>80650785
Some action scenes with batman apparently, it was already listed but everyone freaked out for some reason
>>
>>80656580
Yeah, but it was made as R rated movie.
It's like with 3D movies. It works if you create them from the scratch as 3D not when you just make 3D version.
>>
>>80656580
All the R-rated scenes were already filmed, just cut out of the theatrical version. It was Snyder wanting to make Watchmen 2.
>>
>>80656659
Saw was PG13 til they re worked it. I'm not saying it's the same thing, but making a movie 3D vs re working it for an R rating are very different.
>>
>>80656781
Depends on how you do it.
If they're gonna turn first 15 minutes with Batman into gore shit while the rest of the movie is normal then it will look weird.
>>
>>80656850
apparently, it was for violence on some scenes and they cutted about 5 characters
>>
>>80649140
Suicide Squad looks awful. I have at least have some hope for BvsS.
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.