[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This, honestly, is one of the major flaws of Superman movies.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: Marlon_brando-jor_el-1-.jpg (47 KB, 400x383) Image search: [Google]
Marlon_brando-jor_el-1-.jpg
47 KB, 400x383
This, honestly, is one of the major flaws of Superman movies.

>I shall send Kal-El to Earth, while at the same time give him messianic responsibilities

Fuck that. Clark is Clark because he was raised that way, not because some dead guy is telling him about that shit, or is giving him "mankind's savior" for the sake of Jesus parallels.
>>
>>80618618
Yeah, I always thought that part of his origins in the movies were retarded.
>>
>>80618643
I guess the idea is that they want Jor-El to have a bigger role, but the way they do it is stupid.

I guess this is why the public also has some retarded views on Supes, it's because this shit they add in films.
>>
>>80618618
Cam thyne tits.

Clark was free to live his life as a regular old human. Jor-El was just giving Kal-El a way to frame his relatively great power should he choose to use them, as a constructive release valve should Kal-El develop a god complex.
>>
>>80618776
But the way they do it made look like a "God and Jesus" parallel, and they were so honest about that.

I liked how STAS handled it. They just explained who he is and what his heritage is, but at the same time it's still the growth with his parents that shaped him.

With that said, the Snyder movie was much worse in doing this.
>>
>>80618618
>couldn't even be bothered to learn his lines for the movie
why did people even like this guy again?
>>
They should just keep Jor's selection of Earth at "Earth will give him the strength to survive" and that's all.

All this "you can save them" stuff is a bit too much.
And you kind of don't feel much for Jor-el and Lara if they know their son will be some kind of god, it's a lot more tragic if they only kind of know he can survive but don't know to what capacity.
They really are taking a chance in sending him to Earth because they are desperate to save Kal.
>>
File: giphy-facebook_s[1].gif (99 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
giphy-facebook_s[1].gif
99 KB, 480x270
>>80624831
>Go get the butta
>>
>>80618643
they were just high on the concept of superman and it made its way into the movie. you can't blame them. this was like the first superhero movie, yknow? he had to feel EPIC
The important thing is that even if he had this ridiculous sorta years-being-programmed thing, he still came out of it a normal guy. he acts like a normal relatable guy in both personae and that is what matters. that's what made people like him. I think it's important to be able to have an epic mission and believe in something huge and not let it make you into a street-corner-religious-crazy
>>
>>80624837
>it's a lot more tragic if they only kind of know he can survive but don't know to what capacity.
>They really are taking a chance in sending him to Earth because they are desperate to save Kal.
this
>>
>>80618618
Jor-El chose Earth because a probe he sent to the planet found Thomas Wayne that allowed them to communicate. Other worlds had promised Kal would live like a king, become a great warrior, never know want or hardship. But Wayne said if he found Jor-El's son, he would love him and raise him like his own. That's why he chose Earth, it was the best chance for his son, who would essentially become a god, to grow up to be a good person.
>>
I goddamn fucking fuckity fuck hate the God Space Dad bullshit. Clark bummed around because his paranoiac earth dad told him not to be a hero, then became a hero because his Space Dad told him he could totally be a hero. They shat over the Kents' influence on his character in the movies.
>>
perhaps superman himself functions as a critique of the messianic idea
>>
File: 354263476587.jpg (30 KB, 500x322) Image search: [Google]
354263476587.jpg
30 KB, 500x322
>>80624831
I bet you don't even want Jor-El to be a talking space bagel ya pleb.
>>
>>80618618

I guess you forgot about a little thing I'd like to call "WITH FUCKING GREAT POWER COMES A SHITLOAD OF RESPONSIBILITY".

Plus Jor-El is his BIRTH FATHER and those words are the testament of not just himself, but his entire culture and species. He gets a say in this.
>>
>>80618618
>it's not okay for Clark to have a parent who understands his abilities and attempts to posthumously guide him even as his adoptive parents help him become human despite powers they don't understand which set him apart

It's like you totally missed the point or something anon.
>>
Why wouldn't he want his son to use the powers he knows he's going to have for the betterment of the planet he's sending him to free load of off?

Do we really live in such a cynical age where people can't expect good things out of their kids?
>>
>>80618618
Ok... but if that's your problem with the character why did you post Brando?
It's Crowe's Jor-el the one prophetizing his son's role on Earth because the script said so, the one you posted only says Earth was the best choice because the powers he would receive there were going to keep him safe
>>
>>80618618
I like this movie, but Jor-El literally brainwashing Clark for over a decade really takes me out of it.
>>
He has both of his fathers as examples anon. That's a big part of Superman as a character, defining himself as his own man from the lessons he learned from both Jor El and Pa Kent, both definitively shaping him throughout his life.
>>
>>80624831

https://youtu.be/jA7OCeyipwA
>>
>>80618824
I already explained why Jor-El explaining to Kal-El his role on Earth in the way he did made sense. That said, you are the one who is making this huge Jesus parallel. Yeah, there are similarities, but the Jesus parallel thing is made way too much for everything from benevolent individuals from far away to anyone who sacrifices emself for the greater good.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.