[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is /co/'s opinion on Descender? Is it worth a read?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: descender-dustin-125794.jpg (196 KB, 655x1003) Image search: [Google]
descender-dustin-125794.jpg
196 KB, 655x1003
What is /co/'s opinion on Descender? Is it worth a read?
>>
>>80617627

bump. Is it good or as trash as Saga
>>
File: image-proc37.jpg (169 KB, 900x1385) Image search: [Google]
image-proc37.jpg
169 KB, 900x1385
I have been reading prophet and I'm reaaaally loving it.
Is there anything similar? I downloaded Black Science but haven't read it yet.
Is descender or Saga as good as Prophet?
>>
just read the first issue and judge for yourself
>>
Descender's pretty great, yeah/
>>
I've only read the first TPB and the start is great. But my opinion might be shit to you since i kinda like saga. Can agree that its on a low now tho.
>>
>>80617627
Yeah, check it out. It's really good.
>>
>>80617627
I like it.
>>
>>80617906
Descender is good. Great world building, one of the things that got me to keep reading was the little blurb on all of the planets in the Galactic Union at the end of the first few issues. Fun characters, a lot of mysteries to be solved, it's a good read, I recommend it. Art is great as well.

>>80617906
I'm not sure why you would compare this with Saga. Because they're both sci-fi? They are entirely different kinds of books. I read Saga (although I keep telling myself I'll drop it), and Descender is much better.
>>
>>80617974
Descender's great, I'm behind so maybe things have changed but I wouldn't say it's as good as Prophet and its approach to Sci-Fi isa lot different. Prophet is a lot of biological technobabble, strange monsters and massive scale wars and shit. Descender is a lot more of a personal story more about robots and AI.

Saga is no where near either one. It's fun for the first few trades (up to issue 20 or something) but all the fun characters get killed or put out of commission and it starts to lose focus and generally be of much lower quality.
>>
>>80618254

I started reading Saga, but the swearing was so offputting and the main characters so unlikeable that I couldn't continue it
>>
I read the first arc and it's pretty great.

It's a bit predictable and there are definitely a good deal of sci-fi tropes and cliches ("Ready to leave when you are, general." - "I keep telling you! Call me dad!") but the stellar art more than makes up for the shortcomings
>>
So, no comic near as good as prophet?
>>
>>80619157

No of course not
>>
>>80619157

Prophet kind of went over my head, I remember enjoying it but I hardly remember any story details because it was so cryptic and vague sometimes. Does rereading it help?
>>
>>80619239
Oh, what a pity...
>>
>>80619266
That's kind of what got me into it. The world is so huge, the characters so diverse and the backgroud and back story is kept hidden and just slightly revealed. I find it amazing and super involving.
I really love how the story just begins without any information revealed.
>>
>>80619157
I wouldn't say it's better or worse, the artstyle and stories are so different, it's like comparing apples and carrots.

Prophet is this great, toss you in the deep end, don't explain shit it, it doesn't matter anyway, story. The art is very big and detailed but a lot of it's just baubles and doodads, like bits of the story.
Descender is a personal story about a boy robot looking for the humans he loves against the backdrop of a huge AI purge following a massive, unidentified robot attack on all known planets. The artstyle is, well, this beautiful watercolor that just fits the story and setting in a very odd but perfect way.
>>
>>80619157
I wish Prophet was as good as I was told...
>>
>>80617627
>humans are the real monsters
>is robot real have soul yes?
>again

It's pretty to look at and some of the girls are hot.
>>
>>80619710
Personally, I really love it. Best thing I've read in a while. But thats just because Im a sci fi nerd and specially the kind of science fiction shown in Prophet. I understand it may not be everyone's cup of tea...
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.