[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This movie is almost 80 years old, and yet it holds up like it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5
This movie is almost 80 years old, and yet it holds up like it hasn't aged a bit.
How is this possible?
>>
>very 1930s ideal for a handsome man and pretty girl
>every dwarf is voiced by a celebrity from radio entertainment.
Still really gorgeous though.
>>
>>80594299
I can't stand Snow's singing in that movie
>>
>>80594299
Nothing in it is topical, that's why.
>>
>>80594299
How would it look in new CalArts style?
>>
>>80595693
>very 1930s ideal of handsome man and pretty girl
>implying that those ideals aren't some of the most universal in the West

Are you saying that it doesn't hold up? If Snow White was a bull dyke with half her hair shaved off and the prince was a scrawny guy with glasses and a shitty beard it would be better?

1930s-era standards for attractive people are pretty much the universal standard, everything else has been more or less a fad, then it goes back to that standard, etc. in a cycle.
>>
Eh kinda. Snow White is mostly just an hour long Silly Symphony but it's still pretty good. Now Pinocchio and Fantasia on the other hand hold up extremely well
>>
File: 1430201479894.png (315 KB, 1000x784) Image search: [Google]
1430201479894.png
315 KB, 1000x784
>>80594299
>>
>>80595693
>>every dwarf is voiced by a celebrity from radio entertainment.

So what's changed? Disney has wallowed in the celebrity voices then, and they wallow in them now.
>>
>>80596530
damn you read a little too hard into it. I just mean the make up and hairstyle.
>>
disney nearly bankrupted himself making it
>>
File: babushka.jpg (46 KB, 420x310) Image search: [Google]
babushka.jpg
46 KB, 420x310
>>80594299
That feel when my grandma was 14 when this movie came out
>>
>>80594299
Fucking 2D man. It never goes bad, Pinocchio looks good after all these years. Try watching the scene where he dances in the puppet theater. CGI though ages like milk for some reason, researching the Incredibles, there seems to be something off. Like everybody's skin seems really plastic and oily.
>>
>>80596386
Snowhite would have sidecut for sure
>>
>>80594299
It's entirely watchable and engaging, but it's far from timeless. There's almost no story. It's just a series of things that happen. She finds a house. She cleans the house. She falls asleep. The dwarves come home. They find her. She makes dinner. They wash up. They dance.

There's about 15 minutes of actual plot in the film. It doesn't hold up to modern storytelling standards.
>>
>>80597059
Sidecuts are great for villains because I love seeing those idiots get punched in the face, but terrible for anyone else.
>>
>>80597069
It's very similar to the Snow White plays Walt liked so much. For whatever reason its easier to stomach that stories take place in a day or a couple of hours in stage productions.
>>
The music has not aged well.

It's lovely, but dated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwBWZ3z1I6w
>>
>>80597020
>It never goes bad
We have a ton of bad 2D. The very first Felix cartoons were shit. Everything TV cartoon between 60's - 80's. Newgrounds. TV Flash animation. PPG Reboot. C'mon.
>>
No one is saying the level of ARTISTIC QUALITY isn't extraordinary, but to say some of choices haven't aged poorly is just delusional.

Snow White herself is baby faced and virginal and creepy as fuck by any modern standards.
>>
Now feel free to correct me if I am wrong but I feel the early ones such as Snow White, Pinocchio and Fantasia hold up so well because Walt was really the one calling all the shots and deeply involved with the projects.
Even though he was invested in other projects such as Dumbo, Mary Poppins ect that he cared deeply about, the projects that his fingerprints are all over each frame and production really stand out.

Another example would be Disneyland. I wonder how it would have turned out if Disney would have just Lucas-ed it and just made decisions by rubber stamp. Nope he was out there just about every day either on his bike or walking around inspecting everything and involved in just about every aspect of the park.

Another thing that Snow While, Fantasia is considered in the same league as other films that hold up from that era due to that its a cartoon. But if you look at it as if it was live action. The story is tight, the animated acting is some of the best that has ever been and the pacing is great and very high production values.

Walt gets a lot of flack but you cannot deny his vision when he is %110 on a project
>>
>>80598053
Oh wow, Snow White has the anime cuteness that is missing from American shit today.
>>
>>80598531

That's because our culture is extremely cynical, and post-modern.
>>
>>80598207
>Snow White
>creepy

Ugh. What's wrong with you?
>>
Disney was exceptionally talented.
>>
>>80598053

sounds good to me
>>
>>80598531
>>80598551
I thought it was because ugliness was the new meme. Thanks, Jews.
>>
>>80598207
>Snow White herself is baby faced and virginal
yes she is that was the point
>creepy
how?
>>
>>80598460
At his very best he was a perfectionist boss. It's hard to grasp how important he was when it's known he couldn't draw and he didn't have the sharpest sense of humor.
>>
>>80597020
>for some reason
It's still a very new medium that really isn't built upon anything in the same way that hand drawn animation is built on hand-drawn art.
>>
>>80594299
Easy:
>2D hand-drawn animation
>no shitty pop culture jokes
>>
>>80599165
It's sort of built upon stop motion. Except without solid physical models.
>>
And once again, I forgot that tonight is Disney night on Turner Classic Movies.
>>
>>80597020
>Fucking 2D man. It never goes bad
No, good 2D never goes bad. Shit 2D can be terrible.
>>
>>80595693
What has changed in beauty aesthetics that make those unreasonable now?
It's not like she's a fat renaissance painting woman
>>
File: Cobie-Smulder.jpg (92 KB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
Cobie-Smulder.jpg
92 KB, 500x600
>>80596852
Yea such a weird hairstyle
>>
>>80594299
Her face looks fat. The hair, the make-up, it's not good.
>>
>>80602824
yeah i'm not fond of it either. not til cinderella did we get the proper attractive disney princess look. snow white looks like a creepy oldtimey baby doll. that fucking fivehead..
>>
>>80598531
>anime cuteness
Fuck that shit.
>>
>>80596737
Red looks better.

I like it when otherwise normal characters have to have red eyes.
>>
>>80602808
I too admire Cobie Smulder's invisible bow.
>>
>>80597069
This. It's the kind of thing that could only entertain you during the Great Depression
>>
>>80594299

it's aged a ton. 4:3, blurry as fuck despite remastering, muffled voices by today's standards

it's just really, really fucking good, so much so people just selectively choose not to care abou it.
>>
>>80598599
Anon wasn't disputing that he just said it was dated.

Which it is, very much so.
>>
>>80602851
Cinderella is one of my favorite princess movies.

The prince is also very much a cardboard cutout by itself, but his father and the relation between them, make it so the prince wasn't just Cinderella's ticket to the high life, you know?
>>
The character design has definitely aged, not to mention all the various technical aspects.

It's very good, better than most contemporary animation, but it's still aged.
>>
>>80598741
I have no idea either
>>
>>80594299
watched it earlier today
songs just make me feel like a damn kid again

man i wanna go to Dinseyland
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.