[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Animation industry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: Lord_Hater.png (201 KB, 640x361) Image search: [Google]
Lord_Hater.png
201 KB, 640x361
So um I was just wondering, how much does animation cost? Could I just ask an animator from each show to learn the rates and figure out what type of animation I want. How do I go about funding 1 or 2 episodes?
>>
32.72 buckaroos an hour according to google
>>
>>80587979
And that's per hour of work, not hour of animation produced.

1 minute of animation is gonna be a couple thousand dollars.
>>
>>80587979
Jesus, Id live like a king on 10 bucks an hour, let alone being able to work doing what I like.

Maybe Koreans aren't underpaid, maybe American animators are overpaid
>>
>>80591010
Animation is hard work.

People who do this for a living deserve more credit and respect.
>>
File: Kdovjd.png (385 KB, 670x600) Image search: [Google]
Kdovjd.png
385 KB, 670x600
>>80591047
>>
How much for a shit show like johnny test?
>>
>>80593582
Bus fare and a six inch sub.
>>
>>80593582
Must be pretty cheap, consider the Canadian government subsidizes it heavily
>>
Bump for info. American animation was always expensive, it's the best after all.
But what about Vietnamese, Phillipines, Korean, Japan, France, Germany?
>>
Boop
>>
>>80591010
>>80594339

Japanese and Korean animators are paid per drawing though, not per hour like their American counterparts are. Quality does play a role, but the lack of a fixed rate is the biggest factor, alongside things like the fact that most US animation is produced by giant companies like Disney and Dreamworks, who can afford to give fatter paychecks then some small Japanese studio pandering to a niche.

And when they do get paid, the fee per drawing is tiny.
>>
>>80591010
>live like a king on 10 bucks an hour

goddamm man at least pay your mom a little bit of rent
>>
How many times has /co/ toyed with the idea of managing an animation studio and to create their own show?
>>
>>80595278
Thought of it but unless you have a lot of your own money you'll probably just do ad work
>>
>>80591010
>Jesus, Id live like a king on 10 bucks an hour, let alone being able to work doing what I like.

You are either a child or a third world peasant. Don't talk about finances again, or dare suggest that anyone else is overpaid.
>>
>>80591010
$10 per hour is minimum wage in California
>>
>>80591010

Well not everyone lives in a third world shithole where 10 dollars an hour is a lot.
>>
File: The Peridance.webm (658 KB, 1024x764) Image search: [Google]
The Peridance.webm
658 KB, 1024x764
>>80587899
As far as professional paid work goes, animation costs quite a bit.

But in terms of general stuff, the main cost of it is time. Animators get paid decently cause animation itself takes a long ass time to do well.

I've only ever done 3D animation stuff, and webm related alone took me an afternoon to put together, that is after the days of getting the model made, textured, and rigged.
2D animation's even worse if it's done well as you have to redraw a lot of stuff and figure out the timing perfectly before hand (in 3D, you can control key frames better).
Flash is kinda in between those, but still a lengthy process for even a few seconds of good work.
>>
File: 1312578736544.gif (1 MB, 336x229) Image search: [Google]
1312578736544.gif
1 MB, 336x229
>>80591010
>>
A lower end episode cost is in the million range for something like family guy which has generally limited animation but has a large and higher pay grade cast. You can cut back back on voice actors and such, but most professional studios have some sort of overhead into their costs.
Not to mention actually going to a studio and requesting just one episode and having very shallow pockets
>>80597571
3D is way harder than 2D to create a whole cohesive and good looking episode. Unless you can't draw
You could cheat a lot by buying models and stuff, but then you probably will just get a bland looking result (and the models themselves aren't free)

there are instances of one/two man animated works that turned out really well but they did most everything themselves to minimize costs. If you just want to pay someone to do it they'll want a good amount of scratch
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.