[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has /co/ ever played this or any other cape related tabletop game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: HeroesHandbook.jpg (173 KB, 450x668) Image search: [Google]
HeroesHandbook.jpg
173 KB, 450x668
Has /co/ ever played this or any other cape related tabletop game?
>>
That's just a licensed version of Mutants and Masterminds, right?

I ran an M&M campaign for some friends, once. For some reason half the party wanted to play superpowered gun-toting Deathstroke types. One was a vampire, one could teleport, and one could turn invisible and hide during battles instead of ever participating.

The other half consisted of a shapeshifter made of hair, a GLTAS-style Red Lantern who was a cock, and a time-hopper concept that I actually really enjoyed coming up with.
>>
>>80586278
> 80's Marvel Super Heroes d10: decent for quick "roll up a guy and brawl" games, lousy for anything that lasts longer than one or two sessions.

> 90's DC Superheoes: overly complex but otherwise pretty solid.

> Champions: pretty good overall, as long as you have an advanced degree in mathematics.

> Mutants and Masterminds: sloppy yet tons of fun, probably your best bet.

I have the rulebook pictured, but I still haven't actually gotten to play the game, so I can't say if it's any good.
>>
Mutants and Masterminds is fun but your better off trying to find/make a hit point conversion because the health system sucks
>>
>>80586543
>talk about starting a M&M campaign with my friends ask them what they would make
>one wants a Ben 10 character that can transform into 10 different aliens all with different stats and power sets so basically he wants to play as 10 characters at one destroying the team play

I really hate munchkin players
>>
>>80586685
What about a house rule that if your character could headline a comic or toon solo, you can't play them?
>>
>>80586685
M&M is really REALLY easy to munchkin and break. That said, it's incredibly fun if you have people that prefer roleplaying. Or if you just want a one night fun for laughter session.
>>
>>80586685
Ugh. I'm a munchkin and I can't stand that idea.

To expand on my last post, M&M is great because the power system is so loose and permissive. If you want the ability to see, emit, and transform into microwaves, you can figure out how many points that costs. If you want the ghost of Lionel Richie to advise you from over your shoulder throughout your life, that's, like... 2 points. And you get... I want to say 140 or so points starting out, on average power level?

So it's trivially easy to break. There's no challenge. The power level basically operates on the honor system.
>>
>>80586817
this also makes it very suitable for children. A few months ago a friend came to visit and brought his daughter. He's a major geek and has already been role playing with her (she's 9 I think...maybe a bit less) and M&M makes it perfect for a childs mind. They can make up any character they can dream of and play make believe. Story points are also perfect for it, it gives the players ability to shape the story more.
>>
>>80586278
I am a GM of mutants and masterminds and run 2 games.

One is a greyscale series(murdering heroes and villains that put the DEATH in deathtrap and some goofy fun moments.)

The second is a light hearted fun time with extravagant villains. The last enemy was building a deathray to fire at the city and his henchmen used dart guns that made you hallucinate fire all around you. As a debuff.

You have to be strict with players though because they will try to break the game.
>>
>>80586278
Here an an example of an session streamlined

It was a calm and warm spring day at emerald city university. Jessica Prentiss AKA princess sat in the grassy courtyard with her loving boyfriend Mitchell. With her head resting in his lap she looked up at him with a smile said "did I ever tell you about the time I stopped a giant bird from eating the mayor?" Mitchell chuckled and and nodded at her. "yes, you tell me almost everyday jess. I'm starting to think you like that memory more than me." Jessica smirked and shook her head; no. "I just don't have alot of normal memories since I started this whole hero thing last year" she said with a sigh. Placing a hand on Jessica's head and running his fingers through her hair he said " that's because a normal life isn't as memorable as fighting giant monsters." Jessica wanted to counter him with a witty remark, but she found it hard to argue with that point. Her life as a hero was intense and amazing compared to her time in the lecture hall. As amazing as it was though, she cherished these moments with mitchell even more. Tilting her head to the side she relaxed in mitchell's lap and closed her eyes. "I'm not a pillow jess," Mitchell said laughing. "you are if I make-" her words were cut short by the sound of a helicopter flying overhead quickly. Jessica opened her eyes and looked up from her human pillow.
>>
>>80586278
Here is a character sheet for firestorm.

He is awesome to play as.
>>
>>80587002
That's why I'm involved in character creation for my players to make sure they don't pull some BS or game breaking build
>>
>>80586685
>tfw normie friend just saw deadpool and wants to make a deadpool character that can directly talk to the players and GM
>>
I've played a wide range of SHRPGs. Within the last few years mostly just ICONS, though. I ran a year cosmic/time-travel campaign for two players. The super simple nature of of it let me do pretty much whatever I wanted. We had a good time with it.
>>
File: triggered.png (1 MB, 1606x1640) Image search: [Google]
triggered.png
1 MB, 1606x1640
>>80587620
>triggered
>>
>>80587620
I can see that working with a very good group where the player knows to do it sparingly and in situations where it brings something interesting without being annoying. I have a feeling that's not the situation here, though.
>>
>>80588249
Nope, he's one of those people that love way pool tier deadpool
>>
File: 1424058555759.png (139 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1424058555759.png
139 KB, 500x375
>>80586644
There's no hitpoints? How does it work then?
>>
>>80588394
>no hit points
really? There are tons of systems that do without it. Most use 3 basic classifications, something like Injured, Wounded and Severely Wounded (then dead or KO or whatever). They can be good systems, so if you injure a person again, they stay there (in the type I like) but their soak is less so it's easier to hit the next damage type. It's a good system.
>>
>>80588583
Ahh I'm still new to tabletop games only ever played 5e dnd
>>
File: co-related games.jpg (2 MB, 1040x3971) Image search: [Google]
co-related games.jpg
2 MB, 1040x3971
TH-THIS IS MY THREAD! IT WAS MADE FOR ME!
>>
>>80586278
I played in one of these about three years ago. I was told to go for an X-Men like powerset/character. No Thor, no Superman, no Batman, no Daredevil. Just folks with incredible, miraculous powers, but not gods, or mundane street vigilantes with smarts and a black belt.

I made a former thief that gained shrinking powers, insect-like wings, and a sting-like touch attack from a mad-science volunteer program thing while he was incarcerated. Something like a male version of the Wasp, but a lousy villain. Burglebee. After getting powers he tried his hand at the supervillain thing but all he ever wanted was money.

He got offered a get-out-of-superjail free card a year after starting the villainy thing by the game master's version of the avengers.

The rest of our super team was basically the Flash, Nerdy Punisher, Juggernaut, and Green Lantern. I more or less hung back and made wisecracks the entire time and did coward shit.
>>
I'm actually gonna DM M&M's soon, and since everyone in my group likes to kill or start fights with every NPC in DnD i'm just gonna do a Suicide Squad kind of thing
>>
>>80589230
>Betty and veronica meet the punisher

wat

This is a game?
>>
>>80591881
Sure is! Head over to /tg/'s pdf thread, they'll hook you up, no questions asked...
>>
Big fan of the DC Deck Building Game. Big fan of Sentinels of the Multiverse. Played many games of Mutants & Masterminds, it's okay as long as you know going in it's unbalanced as fuck. Heroes of Metro City is all right, but it seems to be pretty difficult.
>>
>>80589230
ICONS is pretty cool.

It's like a hybrid of TSR Marvel in terms of character generation, and FATE for task resolution. It'd be really easy to convert characters or use powers from the TSR Marvel books.
>>
>>80586685
I mean, you could probably do that in M&M without it being overpowered. All those abilities are going to cost points, so he's not going to be great at any of them. Also, you could probably have them on some sort of random trigger in the flaws section so that he doesn't get to pick or a timer or something like that.
>>
>>80587620
>like a decade ago
>gamer friend brings normie friend to game just to watch
>decides he wants to play
>"What do you want your character to be like?"
>DEADPOOL!
>system was Pathfinder
So he got to play an inept two-weapon fighter.
>>
I'd love to try a superhero game but any system I bring to my table would have to be simple enough that I could learn it on my own then teach the rest of my group while still being detailed enough to get them interested in playing long-term since that's all anyone cares about even when no one has the time.
>>
>>80597357
risus
>>
>>80597357
>>80596659
Give ICONS a go. I've not actually run it myself but after reading a few different cape systems, it's the one that best seems to capture the way superhero stories work.
>>
Sentinels of the Multiverse is a pretty cool game.
>>
>>80589230
Wild Talents is best supers game
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.