[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Tfw Disney and Pixar have completely swapped places in terms
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6
>Tfw Disney and Pixar have completely swapped places in terms of film quality and hype

Like is there even anybody seriously looking forward to Finding Dory or Cars fucking 3?
>>
>>80570555
I don't know about completely swapped places. All the non Pixar movies are pretty fucking bland plot wise.
>>
I only see one decent movie in the line up, that being Wreck It Ralph. Haven't seen Zootopia yet. Meanwhile, Pixar was great with Inside Out.

Of course, the next 4/5 Pixar films are sequels. So you might be right.
>>
what were disney's last 2 movies before Tangled?
also shit like this just happens, there even was a time Dreamworks was more succesful than both
>>
Pixar shouldn't have made their slate all those sequels, it ironically dilutes their brands power despite keeping their ips in the limelight. Not happy with WDAS starting on that path too.
>>
>>80570688
>what were disney's last 2 movies before Tangled?
Bolt and The Princess and the Frog.
>>
>>80570688
PatF and Winnie the Pooh I think?

>>80570659
The only one of those that is even kind of mediocre is BH6 and even that has a lot of good points to it
>>
>>80570688
>what were disney's last 2 movies before Tangled?
Princess and the Frog, and Bolt

>there even was a time Dreamworks was more succesful than both
We're talking about quality, not success. It was How To Train Your Dragon that first surprised us with its quality. Before that Dreamworks CG movies were shit but still popular.
>>
>>80570822
>Not happy with WDAS starting on that path too.
>On that path
>Only sequel officially lined up is Frozen 2. The next two movies are Moana and Gigantic

Whatchoo talkin' bout nigga?
>>
>>80570917
It's a slippery slope, especially when they and Pixar share management, and when they greenlit Frozen 2 just because the first made unprecedented bank. I'm glad WDAS is good for the next eight years or so though. Moana, Gigantic and whatever that movie is about racing in the future.
>>
To be fair, John Lasseter and Ed Catmull are in charge of both studios
>>
when will the 3D movie meme end, what is even the point of Pixar if mainline Disney is doing the same sthick.
>>
File: 1432491587804.jpg (135 KB, 1000x867) Image search: [Google]
1432491587804.jpg
135 KB, 1000x867
>>80572051
>meme
>>
File: disney renaissance.jpg (33 KB, 564x564) Image search: [Google]
disney renaissance.jpg
33 KB, 564x564
>>80570555
This is an incomplete list.
>>
>>80570555
I feel like Pixar has always been, Imaginative Premise first, execution later. Toy Story and a few others had the blessing of good execution, but Brave shows this weakness the most prominently.

Disney on the other hand is more about executing the "Disney Magic", but it's settings can lose to Pixar.

In recent time however, Disney's settings have been very strong while Pixar has been re-hashing old formulae save for Inside Out. Also Disney finally could into 3D. So of course it might seem like Disney is stronger at the moment.
>>
>>80572051
It's cheaper for Disney to make 3D movies.
And I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but the meme is never going to end.
Disney already announced that they'll pretty much never make another 2D animated movie again.
They're strictly 3D and Live Action now.

Princess and the Frog was their last attempt.
>>
>>80572233
I think people usually call Tangled the start of the true new Renaissance as that one was Disney's foray into completely abandoning 2D and Tangled got all that acclaim with practically no hype behind it
>>
>>80572321
>Pixar has been re-hashing old formulae save for Inside Out.
No that was another point of view of thing they always do Up and Brave are the odd ones out.
>>
>>80572432
That being said, I do like PatF quite a lot
>>
>>80572432
Disney's Renaissances are always the same. A sleeper hit followed by some mega overhyped movies.
>>
>>80570555

You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
>>
>>80572556
Unless you're Disney. Then you don't die, you multiply.
>>
>>80572432
>smug princess and she's stronk af
it was bound to be a hit
just like if there was a princess movie told from her story where she was kidnapped and goes on a badass quest around the world in a race against time before someone retarded takes over her throne
>>
Pixar quality has declined, yes.
But you can still put the best of disney films (since the release of Toy Story) and they are not even close to the best of Pixar.
>>
>>80572396
>Disney already announced that they'll pretty much never make another 2D animated movie again.

Oh they'll make 2D again....when they don't need to pay human animators, not even Koreans, a cent for their labor. That's when high tier 2D animation will make its return. When it is fully automated.
>>
>>80573465
But see the problem there is Pixar is so much younger than Disney that in that particular regard it just makes Pixar look that much more desperate
>>
>Finding Dory

I sure as hell am. Partly because I loved Finding Nemo and there's no real reason to expect this one to be bad. Partly because I've heard that a lot of it takes place about five minutes from where I live.
>>
>>80570878
I loathe BH6 even though it's okay because it stole the Oscar from far better movies
>>
>>80570555
>Tangled
good
>Wreck-It Ralph
great
>Zootopia
great
>Frozen
crap
>Big Hero 6
meaty ogre
>>
>>80574044
It might be my opinion but i think it was when they got bought by Disney when they got worse.
>>
At least we still have Incredibles 2 to look forward to.
>>
>>80570606
This, the storyline are so standard. People get hype for its visual
>>
>>80574971
There's no way it can surpass the original, that movie was fucking perfect
>>
>>80574992

Maybe but the superpower scenes are going to blow everyone out of the water

Hopefully
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 366x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 366x400
>Zootopia is tied with Finding Nemo and Toy Story 3 for second-highest Disney/Pixar Rotten Tomato score behind Pinnichio and Toy Story 1 and 2
>>
>>80575384

Remember, the approval rating percentage is different than the rating 1-10

Still amazing of course
>>
>>80570555
>Tfw Disney and Pixar have completely swapped places in terms of film quality and hype
Wreck ot Ralph is the only good film in that line up and Inside Out is better than all of them anyways.
>>
>>80570878
>The only one of those that is even kind of mediocre is BH6
Frozen was crap.
>>
>>80570555
The two top pixar guys are now at disney so makes sense
>>
>>80570917
Zootopia is getting a sequel as well as Wreck it Ralph.
>>
>>80576758
Neither of those have been confirmed so far (especially Zootopia) and even if they are, that's still better than Pixar's lineup which is solely sequels except for Coco
>>
>>80570555
Finding Dory? Lots of people since /co/ seems to forget that people loved Finding Nemo and Pixar has had a good track record with sequels (Cars was crap to begin with but if people are going to keep bringing that up I guess its okay to bring up Chicken Little). Meanwhile I don't see anyone looking forward to Moana and Gigantic since they're following the standard Disney Princess routine, it'll be yet another "pleasant surprise" if it turns out to be good.
>>
>>80577019
>Neither of those have been confirmed so far
They literally fucking said they have plans for a sequel for both and you're fucking stupid if you believe Disney won't milk both of them for whats worth.

>still better than Pixar's lineup which is solely sequels except for Coco
Yes, yes you're a fucking contarian, we get it already.
>>
>>80577019
Zootopia 2 was confirmed last week.
>and even if they are, that's still better than Pixar's lineup
Why? Unless its just cool to hate Pixar now the only film to be concerned about is Cars 3, Incredibles 2 has been anticipated for over a decade and the Toy Story trilogy was stellar so I have no problem with a 4th installment if its of the same quality. Moana and Gigantic are looking to rehash the same formula anyways.
>>
>>80574044
What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>80570555
About the only movie that got any hype before release was Wreck it Ralph, the rest were just standard "better than expected" fare except for BH6 and Frozen.
>>
Good Dinosaur and Brave were the same quality as BH6 and Frozen.
>>
>>80570555

>Disney and Pixar have completely swapped places

It's more like:

>shorts from 1920s-1960s
They always got BTFO by Warner Brothers.

>feature films 1937-1967
no real serious competition

>feature films 70s-1988
Disney got BTFO by Ralph Bakshi and Don Bluth.

>feature films 1989-1999
Disney dominated

>feature films 2000-2008
Disney got BTFO by Pixar and Dreamworks

>2009-present
Disney dominates again
>>
>>80577569
>2009-present
>Disney dominates again
The Lego movie was better than anything Disney shat out thee past 5 years
>>
>>80570878
BH6 is the most nothing of all those movies.
>>
File: 1456499283666.png (586 KB, 800x712) Image search: [Google]
1456499283666.png
586 KB, 800x712
>mfw pixar makes a two part movie featuring all characters they created with real life actors ala who framed roger rabbit
>>
The Disney brand has the ability to continue to churn out basically anything now that Frozen was such a ridiculous box office and merchandising success.

Cars made a disgusting amount of money on toy sales, and it's probably one of Disney's top toy brands right now. With Brave and Inside Out being just "ok" and Good Dinosaur shitting the bed, you can't really blame them for slating a lot of their movies into sequels of their most popular franchises. Each one coming back means potentially more money in their pocket than a brand new original movie.
>>
>>80578045
>Inside Out
>ok

Found the contarian
>>
>>80577315
Wait Zootopia 2 was confirmed? Like actually 100% confirmed? Because I remember the director saying he'd like one, but not that it was confirmed
>>
>>80578045
>With Brave and Inside Out being just "ok
>Comparing Brave and Inside Out as if they're on the same level of movie

Fuck no. Brave was an abortion.
>>
>>80577776
Lego Movie was indeed great but it's not like that somehow stopped Disney domination
>>
>>80578733
>Brave was an abortion
I still can't believe it won an oscar
>>
File: 1454748373546.png (67 KB, 331x304) Image search: [Google]
1454748373546.png
67 KB, 331x304
>>80578045
>Inside Out being just "ok"
>>
>>80577569
Not dominating. They're finally learning. The question is can they maintain that.

Tangled
>Meh
Wreck it Ralph
>Wasted potential. A better name would have been Sugar Rush the way they focus so damn much on it.
Frozen
>Repetitive songs masked the fact half of the characters had the depth of a lego brick
Big Hero 6
>Again they had so much potential handed to them but they didn't go all the way
Zootopia
>Finally going the extra mile, but still getting hampered down with unnecessary bullshit. What would have been 'great' gets knocked down to 'pretty good'. The fact

The fact that they release when there is no competition also helps.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.