[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: bored.png (13 KB, 797x927) Image search: [Google]
bored.png
13 KB, 797x927
What went wrong?
>>
>>80555209
they didn't know what to do with it.
they were trying to be similar to archer, but try something unique but couldn't figure out what.
>>
>>80555209
He thought he could beat Ichigo
>>
Not enough naked Pizzazz.
>>
Frankly, nothing. The Archer comparisons were unfair, Comedy Central delayed taking it to air, and when it did they put it at a ridiculous time slot.
The show itself, in my opinion, is flawless. Stellar cast, the right mix of stupid and clever jokes, terrific interpretation of Pat Nagel's art style, it had everything going right for it but everything out of the control of the production staff lead to it's failure.
>>
>>80555209
it was greenlighted
>>
File: 2rhs21w.jpg (48 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
2rhs21w.jpg
48 KB, 375x523
>>80555255
Except they didn't try to be like archer in any way, shape, or form except for 'comedy with cops'. Fuck, even the 'cop' element in archer is more like a secret service, so that's even a stretch.

Both shows operate on entirely different methods of delivering humor, too.
Archer establishes its own context (characters, setting, events) and makes jokes about them--something is funny because of the established relationships in the show.
Moonbeam City instead relies wholly on making jokes around a hyperbolized iteration of the 80's, taking the absurdity of that era out of its original context to highlight how absurd it is.

Sure, they both feature a seemingly similar lead man--a bumbling fool who is sometimes competent at his detective work. However, even this flounders, as Sterling Archer is very much played straight in his universe and is hyper-competent to the point of absurdity whereas Dazzle Novak is so incompetent that he fucks up and sidewinds literally every case, but through chance, fate, and looney-toons shenanigans, it all works out anyway. Sure, they're both narcissistic, and share some character traits, but their function within the show is wholly different.

TL;DR: People who compare this to Archer literally have no idea of what they are talking about and probably didn't pay an ounce of attention to the working rhetoric of both shows.
>>
>>80555209

I dunno but if this ever gets released on blu-ray it's a first day buy for me, no questions asked.
>>
I just love the art style. But I think the show suffered from misplaced Archer fatigue.
>>
>>80555209
It was on "comedy" central.
>>
>>80557605
This.
>>
>>80558063
this
>>
>>80555209
not much
its pretty fun
be nice if rad won for a change
>>
This show was EASILY above 6/10.
It was funnier than Metalocalypse, and yes, funnier than Archer, a show built on mediocre puns and sex jokes that fall apart when they are not delivered by H Jon Benjamin (and Krieger is not on screen).

When it dipped into "lore" with Pizazz's background and the weird story of the world it was also pretty amazing.

It should focus more on telling a story/telling jokes than "exploring" the characters, which are bog-standard tropes on legs anyway.
>>
>>80555209
an Adult Swim show on Comedy Central that wasn't marketed like an Adult Swim cartoon so people had immediately different expectations of it's comedic style.

Once you come to the realization that the show should be viewed like Harvey Birdman rather than Brickleberry it becomes very enjoyable.
>>
>>80555209
Nothing, it was a good show.
>>
>>80555209
It's yet another show where every protagonist is an sociopathic unlikable asswagon except the eternally abused nerd girl.
>>
>>80555209
I only just recently watched this for the first time. I'd never heard of it before seeing a couple clips on /wsg/, and I personally think THAT is the problem.

It was a good show. It was funny, but I had never heard about it until last month, and nobody I know has either. If it was on something like Adult Swim or the like, it may have stood a chance, but like >>80558063 says, it was on Comedy Central, that channel that nobody in the show's demographic cares about once South Park is over.
>>
The near only thing I liked about the show was Kate Mara's voiceacting.
Don't think/know much of her acting, but she did excellent work on this show.
>>
not enough Pizzazz she was the best part of the show or at least the best girl
>>
Aired too close to Archer.
>>
>>80558211
I cosplayed from Archer and showed someone an episode to tell them more about the series. It just happened to be a Kreiger and Lana-less episode and thus I could only feel shame.
>>
File: image.png (426 KB, 898x502) Image search: [Google]
image.png
426 KB, 898x502
>>80559955
>she will never give you that look
>>
So can we tally up all the shit Dazzle seduced throughout the show?

I may be forgetting some but we have, in no particular order:
>A windchime player
>A dolphin (male)
>A mob boss's daughter
>A prison
>Pizzazz's sister
>Pizzazz Why? Because. Why? Because.

Who/what am I missing?
>>
>>80559955
That's not how you spell Chrysalis, anon.
>>
I hated the pilot of this show, but the more I watched the more I loved it. My favorite episode was the one about Pizzazz's family and the history of Moonbeam City.
>>
>>80555209
Comedy Central's shitty timing cuts off the ending when you DVR shows
>>
>>80558063
And it wasn't South Park or fucking Brickleberry.
>>
>>80560583

>Dat black/white/purple scheme

This gal is perfect
>>
>>80560583
:(
>>
As someone who has never seen the show, It didn't do anything to draw me in.

I didn't know it was a thing at all, until I saw ads for it the week of it's premiere. It looked like an overly-stylized mimic of archer with 80's style thrown in. Have any of you seen the recent Double Dragon remake? I pictured that, but with Archer.

Then, there was nothing on top of that either. Usually, I'll start to hear about a show after it's premiered, but outside of some posts here on /co/ I've seen nothing about it. It's like that other show Fox recently aired about the Mexican Border Patrol. I knew nothing about that until someone on here said it premiered that day, and I have not seen anyone talk about it since it's third episode, so I guess that cancelled. That's all probably the network's fault though, since I didn't see a series like this doing too well on Comedy Central.
>>
>>80561644
The bowling alley artist episode was fucking perfection. I couldn't believe what a great episode that was.
>>
File: image.jpg (331 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
331 KB, 2560x1600
>>80562303
>you will never mutually try to make excuses and claim that you're ashamed when you're both actually perfect for each other and connect on a level that's beyond just sex.
>>
>>80555269
bump kek
>>
I kinda wish it just had story instead of being comedy based.

Barely any adult cartoons that have a serious story; all of them just have to be comedic.
>>
>>80565218
this. the art style is great but it feels wasted on a generic late night comedy.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.