[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was this movie intended for kids at all? It's such a black
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: the-incredibles_8545.jpg (65 KB, 350x369) Image search: [Google]
the-incredibles_8545.jpg
65 KB, 350x369
Was this movie intended for kids at all? It's such a black sheep in Pixar's family-friendly lineup.
>>
>Was this movie intended for kids at all?
Yeah. Kids love fights and watching shit blow up.
>>
I feel like it's a movie anyone can like.
>>
File: giphy.gif (754 KB, 389x184) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
754 KB, 389x184
>>80552578
I want to know how parents would explain to their kids what happens to Syndrome.

Feet first too. That means while it was quick he died an unimaginably painful death.
>>
I was like eight when it came out and I loved it. We saw it with another family and so did they.
>>
>>80552732
Kids don't give a shit. They know he died, they just don't think very hard about it.
>>
>>80552732
I don't get this comment. Kids ages 6 or so know what death is, and death is a key feature of a lot of kids films.

Albeit anecdotal, and limiting my experience to Disney films from childhood, I never had any trouble understanding when a bad guy died. Scar from Lion King's death scene, for example, wasn't exactly traumatic. IIRC I was rooting for the good guys anyway, so I probably thought Scar was getting suitably awful just deserts.

Kids aren't necessarily scared of death, nor do scenes like Syndrone's death scene seem necessarily traumatic.
>>
>>80552732
I watched this when I was about 8, and I completely understood that he got sucked into the turbine, which means death. Wasn't even that disturbing to me then.
>>
>>80552540
How so? the only "dark" thing is >>80552732
and even that's nothing new for disney
>Scar's death
>Clayton's Death
>>
I think you guys underestimate kids a bit
>>
It seems like the most singular vision driven movie to come out of the studio thus far. From the bonus features you can tell Brad Bird was taking Lasseter for a ride instead of the other way around.
>>
>>80552732
Plenty of Disney villains suffered worse fates, you shitstain.

Its like you dont know what cartoon violence is.

>HURRRR TOM AND JERRY IS A SHOW ABOUT ANIMALS TRYING TO KILL EACH OTHER THAT MEANS ITS NOT AIMED FOR KIDS
>>
>>80554176
I imagine he's referring to Gazerbeam's corpse, too. I didn't think it was disturbing when I was younger, but I was pretty surprised when I saw it.

>>80554845
Too be fair, after seeing the end result of that in real life, it's pretty fucking horrifying.
>>
>>80554883
I bet you're one of the faggots who cried Deadpool movie was shit because it had tons of profanities and gore.
>>
I can kinda get what your saying but a lot of the somewhat darker stuff isn't noticeable at all by kids. It took years to set in that Syndrome had murdered dozens of superheroes solely because of his hate-boner for Mr. Incredible and how fucked that is. But a kid isn't going to think twice about it.
>>
>>80554960
What? No.

Where'd you even get that?
>>
If we're discussing fucked up villain deaths, I'm convinced Tarzan tops the list.

Most villains meet their end in a way that you don't see the body. Falling off a cliff to oblivion, disintegrating in a fiery explosion, exploding into crystals.
Tarzan has the fucking audacity though to show the lifeless corpse hanging there, though. This is the kinda shit that creepy pastas are written about. Seriously, if they didn't include the scene and it wound up on the cutting floor, I wouldn't have believed you if you told me they were considering it. I'd have chalked it up to urban legend.
>>
>>80554994
Man that death was pretty fucking heavy in retrospect. Especially with Tarzan realizing what was going to happen and desperately trying to get Clayton to stop for a second, and then

>drop
> *snap*
>>
>>80555014
The look of horror on clayton's face as he fell also haunts me.

I've noticed that newer "falling" scenes are a lot better now about creating villain deaths in a way that adults will realize the villain is fucked but explain to a kid that they could have survived. Like the balloons from up or the cloak in tangled. Both could have slowed the descent.... right?
>>
>>80554986
He's an angry faggot who bases all of his posts on conjecture.
>>
People are focusing on the (possible) violence that stemmed from Syndrome's character.

I think there are other factors that can cause one to question whether or not this was a kid's film, such as:

1) Mr. Incredible's career is cut short after he got sued for foiling a man's suicide attempt; something the filmmakers didn't even try to hide even though the topic might not be something that a lot of kids are aware of.

2) The paper-thin allegory for Mr.Incredible's mid-life crisis (including a freaking adultery reference) is not something a lot of kids can relate to.

I'm sure there are other things that would support the argument that this isn't a "kid's film", but this is all I can remember from the movie.

But seriously, those are some really mature subject matters that the film tackles....and it did it shockingly tastefully. and in a way that made the movie entertaining for both kids and adults.
>>
>>80552540
It's dark, but tastefully so. You can watch it as a kid and appreciate the fights and the superpowers, but the whole "Wow, this is actually super fucked up" aspect doesn't hit you until you're older and understand that Syndrome ruthlessly slaughtered all the classic supers, Bob and Helen's marriage was falling apart, and everyone everywhere was dying horrifically.
>>
>>80555102
Kids, or at least kids I know and/or were myself, can still understand such things.

It was understandable that he helped someone but the person was ungrateful.
It was a visable trasition between the empty glaze buro dad, where most colours are shades of grey between the time where he starts working on himself. Everything gets more clourful and happy.

Kids are not as stupid as they might seem. They may not understand something compleatly or the background of it, but they get the general idea
>>
>>80555102
The suicide thing was confusing to me even though I was 13 and already knew what suicide was. I've never seen a suicide in progress but I imagine if some random fuck jumped off a building no one would notice until he hit the pavement. The way people were screaming about . It before it happened made it look like the guy had fallen due to some accident at the top floor.

Then when he sued Mr. Incredible I thought the point was that he was being really petty because Mr. Incredible hurt his neck (we see him in a neck brace) and he thought superheroes should just be perfect and save your life without causing a bruise.
>>
>>80555102
When I first watched it I always thought the jumper was a magician performing a trick, but I think I understood everything else.
>>
>>80555409
>Jumping Magician
>Was just performing a publicity stunt
>Mr. Incredible fucks it all up and fucks him up
>Lawsuit still happens

Oddly enough that works pretty well with the story, in some ways
>>
>>80552732
Scar in Lion King got eaten alive, Frolo fell into molten hot metal I believe. Clayton got hanged.

Also that death would be over so quickly it would not be unimaginably painful. I think the speed at which youd be pulled in and ripped apart would be far to fast for you to even register the pain.
>>
>>80555102
The movie also has a lot of stylistic allusions to spy movies that kids at the time of its release wouldn't get at all.

Stuff like this is just for the adults who brought their kids. It's like bonus content.
>>
>>80555227
Gonna agree, the idea behind the adultery at the very least is something a kid can kind of understand. Maybe if it was a kid under 10 raised in a perfect household in that regard, but even then, kids that would have watched the simpsons growing up or anything in that caliber would understand the idea behind adultery, just not to the highest degree.

The suicide thing again, maybe not the deeper aspects but the plot point isn't entirely complex either.
>>
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 500x464) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69 KB, 500x464
>>80552540
Well

Yes
>>
>>80552540
>black sheep
What the fuck are you talking about? I've seen that fucking movie 30 times because EVERYBODY would watch it all the time with families.
>>
>>80555102
>guy wanted to kill himself
>sue the guy who saved his life
>didn't just kill himself once he could walk again
I will never understand this.
>>
>>80555819
Being in constant pain and getting thousands of dollars, kicked him out of whatever hole he was in.
>>
>>80555819

>I can't humor
>>
>>80552540
>It's such a black sheep in Pixar's family-friendly lineup.
No that's Ratatouille.
>>
>>80555819
This is true to life though

>want to kill self
>somehow "try" to kill self and fail

Suicide attempt fags are the worst. I live in constant fear of the literal millions of ways there are to die in this world and these idiots act like it's hard.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.