[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DC Comics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: morrisonjla.jpg (73 KB, 320x499) Image search: [Google]
morrisonjla.jpg
73 KB, 320x499
What are your thoughts on Morrison's JLA? Also as someone trying to get into DC comics where should I start? I really like what I've seen of the Flash, Shazam, Superman and Green Lantern, and I really like trippy multiverse stuff.
>>
>>80540283
Morrison's JLA is fan-fucking-tastic. Kelly's JLA is severly underrated. For multiverse stuff read Morrison's JLA, Morrison's Bat-Epic, Final Crisis, and the Multiversity. Yeah Morrison is dope as fuck.

For the other characters, Johns is best for Green Lantern/Flash (his Wally run is great), and I honestly don't know if there's ever been a good Shazam/Captain Marvel series. People like the Johns series but I found it ehhh.

Also, check out (because you're a cool guy) Kyle Baker's Plastic Man. Just cuz it's so dope
>>
Morrison's whole idea was to make a ridiculous balls to the wall HUGE action comic. The pedal is on the floor the entire time with no looking back. The JLA and superheros in general were pretty limp and wishy washy at the time so Morrison took the top names of the DCU and threw them on the team with a big hit of crack. Morrison packs more ideas in a single issue than most writers do for an entire run. The artwork is 90's as fuck but the style just adds to the insanity.

A stellar cape comic if you can deal with your head spinning from time to time.
>>
File: 1454462409297.jpg (119 KB, 640x634) Image search: [Google]
1454462409297.jpg
119 KB, 640x634
>>80540398
Thanks for the recs! Really excited to try this stuff out!

>>80540450
Thanks, this sounds awesome! Picked up the trade.
>>
>>80540283
Just get all the JLA tp's that you listed in your pic, up until number 8 I think, whenever Kelley's run ends.

John's JL is good starting with Throne of Atlantis. JL: Origins is serviceable, but the second tp is awful.

For Shazam: There hasn't been a great ongoing recently. Power of Shazam by ordway is ok but it's nothing crazy. Geoff John's Shazam is fun, but it's definitely a non traditional take. Power Of Hope is a great Captain Marvel book as well.

So I think Power of Shazam special for his pre-flashpoint origin, if you really like that, read his whole series. Otherwise read Shazam and the Monster Society of Evil, Superman/Shazam First Thunder, Geoff John's JSA is also one of his best runs that features Shazam & starts the Black Adam saga that continues in 52.

Flash: portions of Mark Waid's run (there's a /co/ recommended list that shows what issues), Morrison's Run, and Geoff John's Run.

Superman: A lot of great graphic novels, not so many runs.

GL: Geoff John's GL run, read Green Lantern Corps as a companion piece. I don't think you absolutely need to read Red Lanterns and New Guardians, but the latter is fun.
>>
>>80540638
Cheers, will check them out
>>
>>80540638
I believe you mean the former. New Guardians sucks shit.
To GL in general, it's really irritating that GL has been pretty much consistently great since the Silver Age, but almost nothing is collected. So, read Johns' run, and if you like the character, torrent the shit out of Wolfman's run, Jones' run and Spectre v4 (issue numbers are pretty easy to wiki)
>>
JLA was a better event comic than literally every single event comic made in the past 15 years.
>>
>>80540963
I don't know, Final Crisis was pretty great
>>
>>80540722
>>80540905
yeah if money is a limiting factor then definitely pirate all that stuff I listed and buy the trades later if you liked it.

I know I came to comics late so a lot of shit I want to buy like the early GLC trades aren't available.

instocktrades is a great place to order if you live in the US, sometimes libraries have books too.

I thought New Guardians was just ok and Red Lanterns wasn't great until Soule came aboard. I don't even think New 52 GLC is integral to wrapping up John's runs, if you get the last few trades by events (third army & first lantern).

Emerald Warrior is worth reading but I'm a fan of Guy.
>>
OP here. What events stuff should I try or stay away from? Final Crisis sounds cool and the premises behind Blackest Night and Flashpoint sound neat, but I know from years of Marvel that a lot of them can be either pretty good or exceptionally awful.
>>
>>80541229
I wouldn't jump straight into Final Crisis, Grant goes pretty hard in it.
I'd start out with his Seven Soldiers of Victory mini, either before or after 52.
Seven Soldiers really gives you a feel for the type of story he tells without making you feel too in over your head.
52 is the beginning of the slow simmer to Final Crisis, it's followed by the weekly series 'Countdown' which wasn't nearly as good.
You can read it if you want, it was forgettable, at least.

Blackest Night was good, definitely read it after Geoff Johns Green Lantern reboot though, it's pretty much the event that caps his run, if I recall correctly.
Flashpoint was fun though some parts were definitely better than others.
Downside to Flashpoint, it's a continuity reset.
>>
>>80540398
>Johns is best for Flash

Waid wrote the best Flash.
>>
>>80541229
Final Crisis is a bit more Morrison heavy, it takes a few reads to get ahold of. Just make sure you have the issues that are shown on the trade (Some Batman issues and Superman Beyond), avoid countdown.

Sinestro Corps War and Blackest Night are part of Johns run. I encourage reading the Green Lantern issues and GLC Blackest Night issues with Blackest Night.

Infinite Crisis was the culmination of a story line that started with Identity Crisis.

Identity Crisis -> Omac Project (ties in with Superman Sacrifice) <-> alongside 3 other optional storylines (Day of Vengeance, Secret Six, Rann-Thanagar War) -> Crisis of Conscience -> Infinite Crisis

It's a long series of issues but it's worth reading.

After infinite crisis ended, there was a year long in story gap. 52 is the storyline that covered those 52 weeks an what happens. Infinite Crisis isn't required, but it does give the ending to some of plot threads from Identity Crisis.

Most of the Final Crisis titles (rage of the red lanterns, Legion of Super Heroes, rogue's revenge) have nothing to do with the Final Crisis story so don't worry about those.

DC One Million is part of morrison's run. Read that and Earth-2.

Older events are decent but not necessary. COIE sets up some plot threads in Infinite Crisis but it's not required.
>>
>>80540283
Still the greatest JLA run.
>>
>>80543234
But not the greatest JL run.
>>
>>80540905
Is there a place to torrent the Hal Jordan Spectre series? They never reprinted it.
>>
>>80542269
No.
>>
>>80540283
Pretty fucking shallow.

I mean its really cool, but after a while its just more cool weird stuff thrown at you with little to no character development or real story arcs.

Its like a 50 issue action movie Grant wrote it on drugs and it shows , Its all flash and no substance, which is okay after a while but can get tiring.
>>
>>80543512
Yes he did, but I bet you're the kind of guy who shitposts about "SJWaid" unironically.
>>
OP here again. Thanks for all the great suggestions!
>>
File: 664668-jla_33_2-1.jpg (195 KB, 414x606) Image search: [Google]
664668-jla_33_2-1.jpg
195 KB, 414x606
>>80546391
Have fun. JLA is great. I greatly enjoyed it when it came out, and it really hold up well in my opinion. Also, Plastic Man.
>>
>>80540283
It's what Hickman's Avengers should have been.
>>
File: JLA_Vol_1_14.jpg (98 KB, 500x780) Image search: [Google]
JLA_Vol_1_14.jpg
98 KB, 500x780
This specific issue is just about as perfect as a superhero comic can be.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.