[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The End of Essentials
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: dc-essentials.jpg (91 KB, 716x960) Image search: [Google]
dc-essentials.jpg
91 KB, 716x960
/co/ I have a question. What happened to the "Essential" the classic run, the OGN quoted everywhere the trades comic shops put in the front shelf and inspire films.

It seems this decade hasnt had a New Classic. Of all the goats and key recs and various great book pantheons, I think All Star Superman is the most recent.

Dont get me wrong, there are good books, but it seems no run or ogn has been able to become a break out icon like Watchmen, TDK, Kingdom Come, Or All Star Superman has. Not even a Long Halloween or hell Hush has really come to the forefront.

Why do you think this is. Why has the past decade failed to put out a work of Sequential Art that has been able to become an icon of fiction.

I think maybe...Saga is the closest e have?

And a related question is the lack of a modern A list creative, the ones carted around all made there mark with Essentials back in the day, and without them no creator has been really able to establish that kind of status. I am not counting Snyder because all he has is Batman, which means we cant know if he truly is A list or if he is just on an a list book.

Thoughts /co/?
>>
>What happened to the "Essential" the classic run
We don't call "modern" rock music "classic" rock music because the songs haven't fermented long enough in the public consciousness. There are modern runs and books that are great, but they won't be classic for a few years.

There's also the issue of a fractured market that, thanks to the internet, deems there will be no universally beloved works in the same way we'll never have a Beatles or a Rolling Stones ever again. It has nothing to do with the quality of the work itself, just the way the work is perceived by the current readerbase.

Personally, I'm hoping Ellis/Shalvey Moon Knight becomes a classic in the coming years.
>>
>>80535701
>We don't call "modern" rock music "classic" rock music because the songs haven't fermented long enough in the public consciousness. There are modern runs and books that are great, but they won't be classic for a few years.

This, pretty much.
It's why every Age of comics has been or is the Modern Age of Comics because we aren't actually out of the Age. And it won't be a while until we recognize that we are in a new Age and that we have departed from a previous Age.
>>
>only two replies that both make good points about the topic at hand
Statistically speaking, this is the best thread I've ever seen.
>>
>>80535476
It was a line dreamed up by DC that had their marketing push behind it. There are many comics both now and then that are better than most of those, it is just that DC made them 'classics' with their advertising power.
>>
King's Omega Men will probably be looked at my comic readers as a classic. Also I'd argue Morrison's BatEpic, like it or not, is definitely an instant classic - his B&R run in particular.

It's difficult because 'essential' isn't just a measure of quality - it's also equally a marker of popularity. So to be an essential it has to have a balance of those 2
>>
>>80535701
What is the timelimit though?

All Star Superman ended in 08 and became a classic almost instantly. Its been 8 years, that is plenty of time for a book or run to ascend
>>
>>80536114
>>80536114
>>80536114
Be honest, DC has a massive library of GNs that are put on pedestals
>>
>>80535476
>essential
I don't know how many of these are essential.
Many are classics, some are DC's honest attempts to create new classics, but none are literally essential reads in order to get into comics.
God, some aren't even good introductions to comics. Can you imagine being a first-time comic reader jumping into Final Crisis without reading 52, or at least Seven Soldiers?
If we don't have "essential" reads today, is that a bad thing? Is it a bad thing that people can just pick up Omega Men, know Kyle lost his super space ring that made him a superhero, and go from there?
>>
>>80535942
>>80535777
>>80535701
I get the time aspect, but looking at the esentials of the past and how long it took them to become essential we are in a clear drought.

Something should have popped up by now, its 2016
>>
>>80536343
>its 2016
>John-Oliver.mp4

We do have some "instant classics", but most if not all comics we consider to be classics have likely stood the test of time and have proven to be influential on later works.
>>
>>80536329
I was using Essential in the way the list was, not as in "have to read it in order to get into comics "

I would say "classic" but that implies age, All Star and Hush werent like that
>>
>>80536470
I am looking at numbers here.

All Star ended in 2008, which means by sheer math, we should have had something pop up by now.

Its going on a decade, thats enough time for something new to have become "Essential"

Sinestro War was 2007,
>>
I think fraction hawkeye will be regarded as a classic one day
daytripper too
>>
>>80535476
How is American Vampire on there but not Preacher? One of Vertigo's most average comics. Oh right, because Snyder is DC's biggest name now.
>>
>>80536936
>Planetary but no Authority or Transmetropolitan
Because it's an incomplete, sterilized little list.
>>
>>80536936
The list is rought but I am noting the idea in general phases out
>>
When i was a filthy casual starting comics i loved civil war and Batman:hush, now i can't stand them because they are so freaking boring.
That being said i love the status quo civil war gave us.
>>
I'm glad comics don't have a canon, all it does is hurt the medium. It can stay in /lit/ and /mu/ as far as I'm concerned.
>>
>>80537286
What status quo did Civil War give us outside of OMD?
>>
>>80537445
The initiative stuff which was pretty cool.
Avengers the initiative was a great comic book with a great cast of characters.
>>
I unironically own most of those trades
>>
>>80535476
You're basically right. There haven't really been any "classics" in the medium this decade. Some comics have come close, but nothing quite got there.

>>80535701
Watchmen and DKR were INSTANT classics during their own time. There's nothing like that anymore.
>>
So nobody thinks Morrison's run is a nu classic? Or is it too long to be considered an essential?
>>
I can see Batman Europa getting a nod down the line. Maybe the first arc of Gotham academy?
>>
>>80537969

That and it's pretty divisive.
>>
File: 1437970667523.png (564 KB, 719x719) Image search: [Google]
1437970667523.png
564 KB, 719x719
>>80535476
>All that Frank Miller
>>
>>80538608
Was Europa that good?
>>
>>80537969
Casuals don't like it.
>>
>>80539133
There are two Frank Miller books on the list and they're two of the best and most iconic batman books written. If you want to talk about over-representation there are five Moore books on there
>>
>>80537343
Its delicously ironic,
>>
>>80537969
It is, but most of it wrapped before this decade
>>
there's no creative integrity at this point, they're just treading water trying to stay relevant
>>
>>80539335
The art was good in an, uh, "artsy" way, it's a four issue, self contained story about Batman and Joker, so pretty much anyone can enjoy it... It's not Watchmen/Sandman tier NOT LIEK THE OTHER COMICS, but it still stands out.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.