[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm really disappointed with how bad Beto's stuff gets
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6
File: 18444231.jpg (38 KB, 318x393) Image search: [Google]
18444231.jpg
38 KB, 318x393
I'm really disappointed with how bad Beto's stuff gets with this, but at the same time I find it funny how much it's like Clarmont's X-Men with a little more sex. I mean it's basically a fetishy soap-opera where everything gets watered down into a "who's sleeping with who" deal. There are still some character development here and there, but who's sleeping with who becomes the main focus.

I like Clarmont's X-Men and it's still entertaining, but I just find it all kinda sad after reading the old Love and Rockets sketchbooks and seeing some of the plans that Beto never worked in. I mean Fritzi was originally planned to be a reincarnated version of her grandmother and it was gonna be revealed that Gorgo was her grandfather and that's why he protects the family. However instead of telling Gorgo's love story or any of that, Fritzi is just a therapist who sleeps with almost all her patients and internalizes all her problems and never develops anywhere from that. This shit is disappointing.
>>
>>80531415
Man, I was just talking about L&R and Claremont X-Men yesterday too.
Weird.
>>
>>80531431
That is kinda weird.
>>
>>80531415
So like UXM without the space adventure or punching?
I have been meaning to check L&R out, but you may have unsold me.
>>
>>80531526
everyone seems to be "meaning" to read love and rockets these days, don't fucking keep posting that you will, just do it or don't. I guarantee nobody outside of a handful of people on /co/ will actually care.
>>
File: jaime she hulk.jpg (602 KB, 714x1015) Image search: [Google]
jaime she hulk.jpg
602 KB, 714x1015
>>80531526
Don't let this bit get you down, anony.
L&R spans an assload of books, and Gilbert's skew a little more nutty.
Check out Jaime's stuff.
>>
>>80531526
>HURR I ONLY READ STUFF THAT HAS PUNCHING IN IT DURRRRR
You are literally a child.
>>
>>80531526
Nah this is just Beto's later stuff. Like his New Love and Rocket's stuff. His old stuff like the original Heartbreak Soup and Palomar stories are all about the history of a single town and jump around to different bits in time to show you how these people age and develop. His early non Palomar stories are good too, it's just the stuff he's doing now.

Also like >>80531573 said Jaime's stuff never really takes a drop, and I'd even say Jaime's getting better as things go. Ghost of Hoppers was a really great story.
>>
>>80531589
>look at my faggot greentext
That's not what I said. You apparently can't read at all. Faggot.
>>80531565
I hope you feel better anon.
>>
>Gorgo ever being happy
wew good thing that didn't happen
>>
>>80531565
I did and it was shit.
>>
>>80532423
good
>>
>>80532227
That's part of why I wanted it, I love Gorgo's character he's way more interesting than Luba. Same with Ofelia, I just want a story focusing more on their old lives.
>>
>>80532423
Sorry, you just have shit taste. Try again.
>>
File: image.jpg (105 KB, 388x571) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
105 KB, 388x571
>>80531589
> things like Moby Dick, Shakespeare, Oliver Twist and Blood Meridian are all garbage, I prefer sophisticated picture books for adults.
>>
>>80532702
This page is too goddamn real.
>>
I'm reading Love and Rockets - I got four volumes for cheap in Forbidden Planet (each graphic novel was the price of a single comic!) but I can't get into it. It's so weird and I'm not quite sure where the focus is.

I think I need just a little more handholding.
>>
>>80534227
Which ones did you get because there are two brothers (three if you count Mario), and they all do different stories with different focuses. I'm guessing you got the original trades too which is when Beto was doing more than just one storyline.
>>
>>80534361
I'm reading this one.

I dunno, I just thought the meaning of life was in here somewhere.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>80534519
>>
>>80532547
Gorgo is my favorite too but there's not much he can do
>>
i tried reading it last year, it honestly kind of sucks, don't understand how people outside of hipsters enjoy it
>>
So I'm looking on amazon, can I just start with Music for Mechanics and buy them in order? Are there big (HC) compendiums? So many books and editions is a little confusing.
>>
>>80534519
No Luba and her Family? No yeah this is after Beto hit his prime, I don't know what he's trying to do here, venus seemed like he was trying to make comics for kids like Jaime does in his stories about little Maggie, but then it just devolves into weird fetishism. He tries to salvage it by making it about Venus dealing with it and being disgusted by her mother, but he never focuses on that enough for it to work.

L&R doesn't have the meaning of life, but when the bros were on their game they do some really good character work. Though there are always some real weird silly elements throughout the series like a Joan Rivers/Liza Minnelli type star who's secretly into adult baby play. You also gotta read some of them in order, there used to be a guide for it but Fanta seems to have deleted that page when they redid their site.
>>
>>80534586
>stop liking what I don't like!
>if you like you're some sort of smelly hipster!
OK.
>>
it makes sense, seeing as he didn't want to keep doing the series after volume 1, but Venus is great, and he still manages to make Fritzi a tragically compelling character, at least for a while
>>
>>80534567
I just want him to do the story between Gorgo and Fritzi Sr.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.