[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, I'm trying to learn how to write comics. I read Denny
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 1457050413476.jpg (32 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
1457050413476.jpg
32 KB, 500x332
So, I'm trying to learn how to write comics. I read Denny o'neils book, but I'm still having trouble laying out a page and dialog and script structure. I'm still trying the Morrison method but I'm always unsatisfied with my layout. Does anybody here have recommendations, suggestions, advice?
>>
>>80513038
Comic writer here.

I just saw how someone else formatted a comic script and I said "I like that" so I started formatting my scripts in the same exact way, except over time I did a few minor changes to it. I didn't read a book or anything, didn't need to.
>>
>>80513076
>Comic writer here

Have you had anything published?
>>
Not OP, but actually interested in this and have a question to add. How do you build good dialog and know what you want on the page so that there's a proper structure to it?
>>
>>80513038
If you do some rough story boards, quality really doesn't matter, it'll help flesh out some scenes.

Try to think of it more from a visual approach and then describe the scene, breaking down characters, actions and dialog.

Stick with scripting format as the style for that is usually pretty loose.
>>
Read the Scott McCloud books.
>>
>>80513927
Is his books really that helpful?
>>
>>80513153
Yes, Transforming Tramps from the Tenth Dimension.
>>
If it's just literally a structure script issue you can look around and find blank ones you can copy. The publishers that accept submissions have them on their sites and here's one from Greg Pak: http://gregpak.com/downloadable-ms-word-comic-book-script-template/

If it's a more theoretical, visualization, artsy question I don't know. I'm not a creator type, I just like comics.
>>
>>80513038
Stupid dog
>>
>>80514973
Yes. Most of the comic writers/artists I've met at cons mention him as the best to start.
>>
Also, how detailed do you have to be in a comics script? I know it varies among writers to give the artist some wiggle room but what is generally considered the best amount of description?
>>
>>80513038
Writing comics is difficult yeah, but go read the comics that you lovr. Look at why you love them, what is it about the dialogue and the pacing you enjoy. Compare it to the analysis you've done to other works you love and take the styles you love and write your comics that way until it solidifies and becomes your own style.
>>
draw your pages, it doesn't matter how shitty you think you are at drawing just draw the panels and how you want things laid out
>>
>>80521209
Here's an idea on how to learn pacing/structure a bit better...albeit it's mainly used for movies and television shows. There needs to be a way to adapt this for comic usage

>Step 1: Put on your favorite movie/episode (or anything you're trying to examine, really. Just make sure that you've watched it at least once already). Make sure to have a pen & paper or something to type with at hand

>Step 2: Pause at the end of every scene, write the timestamp, and take the time to write down exactly what happened in it. Also note any signs of character development/foreshadowing/etc. Anything that you feel could be useful.

When you're done, take a look at these notes, and ask yourself what you can learn from them, what from the observed media you felt was needless, etc. etc. And then see how you can apply them towards your own works.

Again, there needs to be a way to adapt this to comics. Maybe instead of doing it from scene to scene, it's done panel-to-panel/page-to-page?
>>
>>80513038
LEARN TO WRITE, YOU FUCKING MORON. DON'T JUST COPY COMIC SCRIPTS.

That's like an artist copying other drawings instead of learning technique. The former way leads to Rob Liefeld. The latter teaches you how to actually draw.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.