[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So how does one even get into Marvel comics? I've looked
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 1441430038220.gif (156 KB, 525x483) Image search: [Google]
1441430038220.gif
156 KB, 525x483
So how does one even get into Marvel comics? I've looked up several guides online but most of these suggest starting at events like Secret Wars or the Civil War. I read the first one (of the first of the 3? secret wars series) and as someone who has never read any comics apart from random issues when I was a teenager, I had no idea who a lot of the people were. And Kitty Pryde and that one dude were having a relationship? I had no idea. I feel like I'm missing a lot there. Should I just start reading the comics all the way from the 60s or 70s or whatever and read every single comic since then until today? Do some kind of catching up serials exist that only have the most important events in them?

I'm mostly interested in the Xmen and the Avengers but also kind of Spiderman. Where should I start with each of these series and what should I read to have a good idea of everything? The X-men seem very confusing to me especially what with all the different series with slightly different names and it seems like the group changes a lot over time.
>>
>>80511493
You can do what I did and just dive the fuck in. Grab comics that look interesting and give em a try. At the end of the day continuity isn't all that important. Just get a feel for what kinds of stories you like.
>>
>>80511541
It just seems like a lot of them do need some kind of background information. For example, I sort of know who Cyclops, Jean Grey, Wolverine, etc the most iconic Xmen are, I know Jean Grey turned into the Phoenix shit or whatever and almost killed everyone. But when I looked at the modern Xmen comics, it seems like Cyclops is some kind of a bad guy now and the Xavier school is now Jean Grey school or some shit and I have no idea how all of that happened. And it's difficult to find out just how far back I need to go to catch up on all this stuff.
>>
>>80511493
Check here for more specifics: http://comraderecs.tumblr.com/
For the Avengers, I would recommend Avengers Forever, but that might be throwing you in too deep to start depending on your knowledge of the characters. However, Busiek does a fine job of keeping the reader informed.
For the X-men just read anything from Claremont. He made the X-men into the icons they are today.
>>
>>80511672
Comics used to be written in a way that assumed every issue was someone's first.

Nowadays they're written to be collected in paperback format with each book (usually) telling a complete story.

See if your local library has a comic section. Borrow anything that looks interesting.
>>
>>80511883
Like half the links on there are dead, The site really needs to be overhauled.
>>
>>80511541
this

read Marvel Week comics that are posted on kickass torrents comics subsection

I recommend reading on ipad
>>
>>80512925
The links are dead, but the images are still there. Just search the character you're looking for in the bar on the right.
>>
>>80512925
Well, the guy who ran the site is dead or something, so unless someone creates a new site we're fucked.

I'd do it myself but I have no rec images whatsoever.
>>
Busiek Avengers, Morrison X-men.
>>
>>80513014
Wait, like actually dead?

I'd be down to start a new site or something too, honestly, some of the charts should probably be updated or something, most of them seem to be around 5 years old or so.
>>
>>80513439
I don't know if dead-DEAD but he's definitely not around anymore.
>>
>>80511493

Just pick up a book that looks interesting and read it. If you're enjoying yourself you'll just find yourself buying more and more and will learn more as a result. Why anybody would suggest an event as a starting point is beyond me though. It's like giving somebody Final Crisis as a starting point
>>
>>80511493
You pick up a Marvel comic that looks interesting to you and start reading. It's a lot easier than you're making it out to be.
>>
>>80514185
>>80514198
Is the Marvel Ultimate service any good for reading comics? Do they have a lot of the older ones?
>>
File: 1322531432811.jpg (43 KB, 500x700) Image search: [Google]
1322531432811.jpg
43 KB, 500x700
>>80514449
>Marvel Ultimate
My bad, I meant Marvel Unlimited.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.