[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Happy seventh birthday
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: Watchmen.png (1 MB, 1920x800) Image search: [Google]
Watchmen.png
1 MB, 1920x800
Happy seventh birthday
>>
COME GATHER 'ROUND PEOPLE
>>
WHEREVER YOU ROAM
>>
AND ADMIT THAT THE WATERS
>>
>>80507667
watchmen isn't for seven year olds OP that is totally inappropriate
>>
>>80507667
Can anyone tell me how was Watchmen's ad campaign before the release? I just want to make sure BvS doesn't fall in the same loo.
>>
AROUND YOU HAVE GROWN
>>
>>80507896
The trailers were cut by Zack Snyder so they were a lot better, where only BvS's first and fourth trailers were cut by Snyder.
>>
>>80507925
Did the early reviewers report that it was masterpiece, outstanding, etc? Or were the reactions mixed?
>>
AND ACCEPT IT THAT SOON
>>
>>80507972
No idea, I think I was like, eleven when I saw it. It doesn't have a great RT score, though.
>>
>>80507667
I love this movie because it highlights how incompetent snyder is

Its a frame by frame recreation, yet everything about it so hollow, it shows how he doesn't actually get the subtext or themes at all. Half the cast is miscast or disinterested. Only Comedian and Rorschach are worth a damn. The intro was good, but thats about it. The ending completely undermines everything too. If Manhattan commits all the attacks, then why the fuck wouldn't the USSR go after America for creating him in the first place? But what do expect from the man who made this to "save it from the Terry Gilliams of the world", you know, directors with actual talent?

It just feels like a big budget fan film.
>>
>>80507972
Roger Ebert thought it was a masterpiece. It was pretty mixed, like all his movies. He's the Kubrick of capeshit.
>>
>>80508218
When will we be getting reviews for BvS?
>>
File: Based Kubrick.gif (264 KB, 500x323) Image search: [Google]
Based Kubrick.gif
264 KB, 500x323
>>80508218
>comparing Snyder with Kubrick
Nigga, end yourself
>>
>>80508709
Stanley Kubrick is noted for having good films with controversial reviews. As is Snyder.
Snyder's not as good as Kubrick, but it's a fair comparison.
>>
>>80508073
>Direct adaptation of highly regarded comic
>made by a fan
>a film
>large budget
>It just feels like a big budget fan film.
I wonder why
>>
>>80508073
>Its a frame by frame recreation

Try reading the comic before spreading this meme.
>>
>>80508709
Kubrick's films were loathed when they came out, by audiences and critics alike.
>>
>>80508748
>>80508805
Hi Zack
>>
>>80508309
Around the week before the release. But since even Watchmen got positive reviews at first, we can't rely on them.
>>
Y'know, even the intro, in retrospect, could have been a lot better. The song sort of carries it on its own. And speaking of the music, the part where he used All Along the Watchtower just because it was quoted in the comic was pretty stupid.
>>
>>80508840
Go do some film research bud. Kubrick wasn't very liked back in his day and his films had notoriously mixed reactions.
>>
>>80508805
>Kubrick's films were loathed when they came out, by audiences and critics alike.

He wouldn't have had a career if that were true, anon.
>>
>>80509002
Strange that Zack Snyder does, then. Isn't it?
>>
>>80508990
>Go do some film research bud.
You first. Kubrick had a number of successful films, is far from the only famous director whose failures later became well-regarded, and really it's such a shallow point of comparison that I can't help but you think you don't really know anything about him other than "he's the guy that people like now but they didn't in the past".
>>
File: Laughing Whore.jpg (214 KB, 345x336) Image search: [Google]
Laughing Whore.jpg
214 KB, 345x336
>>80508805
Only by retards that didn't get it

There's nothing to get about Snyder, he's basically this generations Michael Bay

The idea that Snyder could even make something as meaningful or complex as Barry Lyndon is hilarious. He's got a good eye, I'll give him that, but that's it.
>>
>>80509025
It's almost like there's something more at stake in the multi-billion dollar film industry than opinions.
Weird.
>>
>>80509091
>>80509160
It was a joke you autists.
>>
>>80509160
>didn't get it
>When tryhard isn't enough, you must tryharder.
>>
>>80509160
>this generation's Micheal Bay
>who has pretty much only been making films this generation
Lel
>>
>>80509160
Nigga Michael Bay is this generations Michael Bay.
>>
>>80509260
>>80509305
>I was only pretending to be retarded!
>>
>>80508971
>Y'know, even the intro, in retrospect, could have been a lot better.
I got pissed off when he showed Silhouette kissing that nurse like it was nothing in goddamn 40s.
Fuck Snyder.
>>
>>80509410

They got murdered over it you dumb fuck.
>>
>>80509371
>it's full of memes
>>
>>80509506
It's okay anon!

It was a joke
>>
>>80508796
for the most part it really is then the parts that aren't only fuck the movie up. watchman was a piece of shit and it wasn't even entertaining. which is the worst part. Still not the trainwreck called suckerpunch.
>>
>>80509464
She got murdered in the comic over it being revealed that she was gay in a newspaper

Not by going out and kissing in public you Snyder nuthugger.
>>
>>80509578
>for the most part it really is

It really isn't.
>>
>>80510221
What difference does that make? I think it's cooler that she was arrogant enough to think she could be outspoken about her sexuality, and died for it, instead of it just being some dirty tabloid secret.
>>
Hey, cool thread! I'm watching the ultimate cut right now (with black freighter cut in) and I'm enjoying it WAY more than I did the original theatrical cut. There's no way to make this short and everything they cut made the theatrical version a little worse.

I think what stands out most to me is how great the VFX held up. This movie should remain watchable for years and years to come and the Ultimate cut is the best option I feel. Yeah, it's very long, but in maybe two sittings it's a really great movie.
>>
File: 1448462045586.jpg (19 KB, 279x288) Image search: [Google]
1448462045586.jpg
19 KB, 279x288
The problem with the movie is that it feels like a more colorful Sin City rather than a deconstruction of the superhero genre and archetypes. I won't even blame it all on Snyder, i'd say Moore created characters and a setting too interesting for their own good, they'll outlive the message of the story. Probably already did

But at the same time it's undeniable that, just like everything else he makes, Snyder just did what he could to make it "cool". The music numbers, the slow-mo during fights, small changes here and there like the already mentioned lesbian kiss scene to make for more cinematic situations, added violence to make fights more cool like when Nite Owl and Silk manage to break the bones of a bunch of thugs, somehow, while also laughing about it, characters like Nite Owl and Ozymandias having such Hollywood-approved costumes...

All these various elements made the story more pulp than anything. When people think of the Watchmen movie (and to be fair i guess the comic too, often) they don't think of what Moore intended, they think of how cool and dark it was and how Rorscharch is the best. I remember this one reviewer praising the movie because it had blood, sex and blue penises. That wasn't exactly the point of the comic now, wasn't it?

So again, the movie is decent as of itself, it may have some technical problems like the general stiffness and slow pace, but i can see why people overlook that and honestly i do that too. What gets me tho is when people (Snyder himself too) say the movie couldn't have been done better, that it is as faithful to the comic as it can get (fuck, Snyder does the same with MoS, talks about how it was "canonical" and shit). But why have such a shallow look on things? Are cosmetic/aesthetic similirarities all it takes to make good adaptations? This is the same mindset that makes some praise the Amazing Spiderman movies and loathe the Raimi ones, "the former has webshooters and quips more, it must be better!"
>>
>>80508073
>Only Comedian and Rorschach are worth a damn
Pat is perfect for nite owl
>>
File: Oh sorry, my mistake.png (37 KB, 171x182) Image search: [Google]
Oh sorry, my mistake.png
37 KB, 171x182
>>80511096
Post was too long, but basically what i'm trying to say is that i don't think fans of the movie should really be surprised when others don't like it. The problem with a movie like Watchmen is that if you really want to do a panel-to-panel adaptation then you really should do that all the way instead of keeping X like that but changing Y to fit your view. I see often people saying "i didn't like how they changed a thing" and then another one replies "but it's a small change, why do you care?", the answer is that it's the way the movie was adapted that makes the changes stand out more. If Snyder made it a completely personal movie it probably would've been shit but at least that would legitimize the changes more.

I don't want to repeat the example, but again, it's just like the Raimi Spiderman situation: as a Spiderman fan i couldn't give less of a fuck about webshooters and what kind of nerd Peter's supposed to be, Raimi's project was more personal but it was functional and entertaining, whereas the Webb movies can make the claim that they were more "faithful" but in reality they didn't offer much
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.