[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Flanderization
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: ned-flanders.jpg (59 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
ned-flanders.jpg
59 KB, 640x360
What are some good examples of it?

Are there any good examples or is it just some buzzword that people throw around for characters they hate?
>>
>>80506932
Do you mean 'good' examples that illustrate the concept or example's of it being a benefit to the character?
>>
>>80507075
The latter.
>>
>>80507084
They made Cheryl from Archer crazier after season 1. She was a bit more fun then.
>>
File: Caboose_-_S7.png (577 KB, 631x741) Image search: [Google]
Caboose_-_S7.png
577 KB, 631x741
>>80506932
Red vs Blue wouldn't have been as successful or funny as it was if they hadn't made all the characters fucking insane.
>>
>>80506932
I have a related question, are there any times where "reverse flanderization" happened?

Pic related
>>
Cosmo and Patrick as well as Sandy are some ur-examples
>>
>>80506932
Batman is a resourceful detective -> batgod
Hank pym gets a bit shit on by the world -> wifebeating crazy man
>>
>>80507339
You mean character development?
>>
>>80507339
Pretty much every recurring character on Venture Brothers.
>>
>>80507339
That's called character development.
>>
File: pam-back-tattoo.jpg (41 KB, 513x338) Image search: [Google]
pam-back-tattoo.jpg
41 KB, 513x338
It wasn't nearly as drastic as some other examples, but Bender was flanderized pretty hard after the CC revival. The earlier seasons usually felt natural in everything he'd do, but the CC seasons seemed to just get lazy and made his entire motivation for doing anything wacky "I'm Bender so I want to be great at everything."

>>80507174
Same with Pam. She became their third most combat effective member after so many jokes about her fighting and being tough.
>>
>>80506932
Every character on SpongeBob has been Flanderized to hell and back, which is a shame, because the animation's better than ever.
>>
>>80507292
Not all of it was good. Grif went from being a funny, clever, snarky audience surrogate to a useless whiny fatass who literally exist to make food jokes and contributes nothing.

>>80507385
>>80507388
No I mean where a character mellows down comepletely out of the blue.
>>
>>80507474
Tohru in Jackie Chan Adventures. Though I'll admit there's large gaps of the show I hadn't seen because my sleep schedule in high school was erratic.
>>
>>80507474
Flanderization doesn't necessarily mean the character goes full wacky, it just means they get reduced from something complex to a few basic traits. So the opposite of that is similar to, if not entirely the same as, character development.
>>
Not really /co/, but every main character in One Piece aside from Luffy.
>>
>>80507474
>No I mean where a character mellows down comepletely out of the blue.
Flanderization means that characters are boiled down to a few traits not that they get crazier.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.