[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do so many people hate Daniel Way's Deadpool? I mean,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: deadpool.jpg (51 KB, 325x499) Image search: [Google]
deadpool.jpg
51 KB, 325x499
Why do so many people hate Daniel Way's Deadpool?
I mean, I know that he was originally way more tragic of a character, but humor and insanity had always been a large part of his character
Personally, I believe the people who really don't understand Deadpool's character are the rabid, memey fans of his
>>
>>80506803
Some stories were good ( fight with bullseye, joining the x-men in Utopia) while the rest of the run was awful.
>>
>>80506803
Yeah the problem is that last sentence you wrote describes the people who love Way's run.
>>
>>80506803
>humor and insanity had always been a large part of his character
The problem is that it's become the entirety of his character
>>
>>80506899
You can love Way's run yet not see Deadpool as LOL XDDD SO RANDUMB
>>
A lot of people can be originally enticed by the humor and the wit of Way's run, but look into him more and find even better iterations of him, like Deadpool and Cable
>>
>>80506913
He was originally a parody of other superheroes, so maybe it's a little nice being able to see a new character for him
>>
>>80506803
>but humor and insanity had always been a large part of his character

Obviously, but Way's not funny. And puts that ahead of his (and his supporting cast's) characterisation.
>>
>>80506940
I actually do not see how that's possible. Way's run is the epitome of LOLRANDOM
>>
>>80506803
My time on 4chan made me transcend Hate.

I don't trully hate ANYTHING right now.

But the downside is that I am indifferent with everything too.
>>
Because no fun allowed
>>
I read the first 20 or so issues and enjoyed them, but I could tell that it was getting worse so I got out.
Really enjoyed the Haweye and X-men arcs though.
>>
>>80507251
>He was originally a parody of other superheroes
Nah, he was ORIGINALLY just a generic merc with a penchant for quips. Kelly was the one that brought more nuance to the character, but he had been appearing as an antagonist in New Mutants/X-force before that.
>>
I liked his Deadpool vs Wolverine story
>>
>>80506803
Less character depth, more memes.

Deadpool's wackiness works best when there's a core of pain and sadness to the character.
>>
>>80506803
Way's run is actually pretty good at first. It lacks the nuance of some of the better runs, but has some genuinely funny moments and the Dark Reign arc is honestly one of my favorite Deadpool arcs.

However, having gone back and reread the run, I can tell you the exact point where it starts going to absolute shit and that's the Hit-Monkey arc. The Hit-Monkey arc was pretty good, but everything after that point just gets worse and worse, while also getting more and more lolrandumb. Not a single issue after the hit-monkey arc is as good as the first dozen and a half issues or so, and by the end of the run, it's among the worst comics Marvel has ever published.

Had the run ended at around issue #25, I think it not only wouldn't get anywhere near as much hate, but might actually get some recognition as by that point, the good still outweighed the bad. But in the end, about 1/3rd of the run is good, 1/3rd is mediocre to bad, and then the last 1/3rd is absolute putrid dogshit. So at that point, at least 2/3rds of the run is bad to horrible and that far outweighs what good will Way earned with the few good arcs he did in the first 1/3rd of the run.
>>
Shit art and Way is a humorless prick. Well, he ain't good at writing anything else either. The art was also pretty bad for the most part.
>>
>>80506803
As its own material, it's shit. Way just wrote 90% of it as random humor trite. The quality of the writing that makes up its very core sets Deadpool Vol 2 as a mistake. Then there's the blatant flanderizing of Deadpool. Humor and insanity were never a huge part of his character. Humor was mostly just a quips and the insanity was a combination of serious mental and emotional problems. There's also the fact that shit like "Pool-O-Vision" would have actually been cleared up in Cable and Deadpool #13-19, so it's just blatant fact that Way never truly looked into the existing material and just wrote the character for people who heard of him, not those that read him.

Then you've got to look at what this run meant for Deadpool as a comic. This was the mainline Deadpool run for 4 whole years. This had a variety of influences on how writers wrote the character themselves, either for continuity-sake or from inspiration. This held back works like Suicide Kings and Merc with a Mouth from being truly great, flaunted Cullen Bunn's shitty material in the Deadpool Kills _____ series, and made it an absolute fucking miracle that Deadpool Corps was as great as it was, Liefeld's scrunched up faces in every panel aside.

Daniel Way's run was an absolute mess besides a few storylines that actually do get the "for fun" part down half well. Otherwise, it was almost half a decade of fucking up an entire character's presence both within the company and in the community. The fact that Duggan was able to bring Deadpool back from this brink is nothing short of absolutely astounding.
>>
>>80506803
There were good parts of ways run. Zany deadpool is honestly enjoyable at times. But way didn't balance the zaniness with anything coherent, and quality is inconsistent during the run.

I believe it's worth a read. For what it is, when it's good it's great. When it's bad it's awful.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.