[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wait, so does Eternity represent Marvel Multiverse or just the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: WithoutEndingEternity3.jpg (158 KB, 640x800) Image search: [Google]
WithoutEndingEternity3.jpg
158 KB, 640x800
Wait, so does Eternity represent Marvel Multiverse or just the universe?
>>
Just the one universe.
>>
>>80500256
He represents Jack Kirby's dick.
>>
>>80500256
Infinity, Eternity, Galactus and Oblivion are all universal but I'm not 100% sure about death.
Living Tribunal is multiversal
The one above all is above all that.
>>
>>80500969

Eternity and Death, as we've seen them, are the 616 manifestations of the concepts. They are not multidimensional but presumably other universes have their own manifestations. Don't think we've ever seen a suggestion that Death is multidimensional any more than Eternity is(n't).

Maybe the One Above All forces that compartmentalization to keep them from being too powerful?

I love me some Gruenwald Infinity/Oblivion but they are referenced so rarely that it still feels odd to bring them up. Bring back a truly Cosmic Marvel book (no, not Guardians of the Galaxy hanging out at a space bar that might as well be an earth dive) and then we can talk, otherwise I'm fine with most Cosmic concepts lying safetly dormant until a writer who appreciates them can put them to good use, not just make them a hacky reference.
>>
>>80501101
Have you checked out Starbrand and Nightmask yet? Despite appearances, it's been heavy on cosmic stuff three issues in.
>>
>>80500969
What are some Megaversal characters then?
>>
>>80501239
Seriously this. Eternity shows up and they even show new entities.
>>
>>80500969
There are definately individual universe's Deaths, as was seen in the case of the cancerverse.
>>
>>80501767
Living Tribunal.
>>
>>80502040
I thought he was multiversal (Marvel)?
>>
>>80502089
Marvel is Megaverse, composed of multiversal clusters, the Malibu multiverse being one
>>
>>80502115
Another question. Is Infinity Gauntlet at least multiversal or just universal?
>>
>>80502215
Have always been universal
>>
>>80502215
Universal.
Fan fact: the Gems being Universal in scope was introduced in JLA\Avengers, but was later incorporated in the main Marvel continuity.
>>
>>80502227
What's the difference between OC Marvel Multiverse Starbrand/Nightmask and New Universe Multiverse Starbrand/Nightmask?
>>
>>80500256
He travels between them all but there's just one Eternity.
>>
>>80502568
no, there is an Eternity for each Universe.
>>
>>80501767

Does Shuma-Gorath count?
>>
All of the core Cosmic Entities (Eternity, Infinity, Oblivion, Death, Galactus) are technically Multiversal but only in so far as they are Multiversal concepts by which individual iterations of each must exist independently within every reality within the Multiverse, but for all intents and purposes they, as individuals, are Universal (though a "Prime" or original version of each exists within a specific reality). As such Eternity is only the embodiment of said Eternity's native Universe within the Multiverse. Yet the Cosmic Abstract and antithesis of Eternity, Abraxas, was never split betwixt the multiverse and thus only one version of him ever existed, bound by the existence of Galactus within the mutliverse. The Queen of Nevers, another abstract remains a mystery whose true nature is never revealed only that she is the lover of Eternity and catalyst for unknown possibility. Lesser Cosmic Abstracts/Entities (Such as Origin, Eon, Numinous, etc) may appear in multiple realities or just one, but are not obligatory as Multiversal constants. As for the Stranger.... who can reallly say.

The Living Tribunal, on the other hand, is the arbiter of Multiverse and it's abstract embodiment with each of this three faces representing the core abstracts that must exist within each Universe (Eternity/Infinity = 1 Face, Oblivion/Death = 1 Face, Galactus = 1 Face & The Stranger = forgotten 4th Face).

Above him is the "One-Above-All" who, much like the Beyonders, is arguably apart from, or outside, the Marvel Multiverse though still functions as a principle figure within its multiversal hierarchy, not only the boss of the Living Tribunal, but serving as the "Fulcrum" whom both the Celestials (Architects of the Universe/Multiverse) and Watchers (Eyes & Ears of the Living Tribunal throughout the Multiverse) serve.
>>
More obscure is the progenitor abstract entity, Nemesis, who birthed the known Marvel Universe and precursor Universes which came before by shattering her body into the Infinity Gems forming existence itself. Though technically not above the "One-Above-All" she most likely would have been a being of similar nature though the implied solitude of her existence in nothingness would seem to imply that she, like the Marvel universe she would spawn, existed on a lower level beneath that of the "OAO" and the Beyonders. Before sundering herself to created the Universe she actually her first attempted to create life that gave birth to the first demons, monstrosities beyond imagination, whom she then promptly destroyed, but the few who survived would come to be known as the "Many-Angled-Ones" (Shuma Gorath) and the "Everinye" (The Dweller in Darkness).

Other obscure abstracts include "the Brothers", the abstract embodiment of the Marvel Multi/Megaverse and the DC Multi/Megaverse. Though each is far more powerful than their Multi/Megaverse's native multiversal arbiter (Marvel's Living Tribunal and DC's Spectre), both are still technically hierarchically submissive to them, existing more as uncontrollable forces rather than actual entities.
>>
>>80503755
I always figured that nemesis was the thing used to make the universe. The "tissue of reality" and reality being the concept of literary everything she came before that.
Like TOAA is being the artist, Nemesis being the pencil that shatters itself to create something, the colors, the words, the lines and all that shit that are represented by the entities like Eternity and Galactus. I know it's a terrible analogy but it's what I belive
>>
Has TOAA been retconned out or forgotten? Where was he during Secrets Wars, and how could he let the Beyonders kill The Living Tribunal?
>>
>>80504191
The One Above All is the most powerful being in existence yet the only power he actually possesses is the power of love, or rather, the ability to move one's heart. He works in mysterious ways.
>>
>>80501868
>new entities.

Nah. Entropy's from 'Captain Marvel' (Genis, that is), a few years ago.
>>
>>80502955

Sort of... his kind (The Many-Angled Ones) are like the raccoons of the multiverse, that sniff around the houses (universes), and sometimes sneak in to steal shit. If they actually take over a house, it's messed up.
>>
>>80504191
>how could he let the Beyonders kill The Living Tribunal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWILhrSzw5o
>>
>>80504191
Notice how comics are still being published? That shows that TOAA is still doing his job.

TOAA is just Marvel Comics.
>>
File: 1408330-bro25we9.jpg (481 KB, 1263x1920) Image search: [Google]
1408330-bro25we9.jpg
481 KB, 1263x1920
>>80503755
>Though each is far more powerful than their Multi/Megaverse's native multiversal arbiter (Marvel's Living Tribunal and DC's Spectre)
it came out LT(and therefore most likely the Specter, too) was faking his impossibility to act.

There is a precedent with his dealing with the Beyonder and Molecular Man, too.
>>
>>80506586
also relevant
>>
>>80504663
The other two are brand new though, wish that they had better names though.
>>
>>80503755

They really need to bring back the Dweller-in-Darkness, and not as an idiotic severed head on a robot body. They need to get him back to his more abstract, Lovecraftian roots.
>>
>>80504712

The image of Shuma and his cronies as dirty raccoons squatting in the abandoned tenement that is some alternate Earth is deeply amusing. I wonder if the other cosmic entities view them as vermin. Certainly they're a genuine threat to beings like Eternity or Death.

Speaking of, I hope the next time Shuma pops up in a substantial way (as opposed to his brief appearance in Mighty Avengers) the next writer keeps some of the ideas from The Thanos Imperative. Shuma always had a somewhat generic invasion/worship scheme in past stories, but the Cancerverse idea that he and the Multi-Angled Ones offer eternal life to all but don't see the issue with the consequences that entails is a fantastic one. Especially if you ever want to tell a story focusing on a Gorathian cult.
>>
>>80506618
What is the context of this?
>>
>>80501101
>>80501881
So why don't Deadpool try to hit it off with other death, or ask some more powerful than Thanos to uncurse him?
>>
>>80500256
Eternity definitely represents more than just one universe, but not "the multiverse" proper. In his first appearance, he actually manifests in the Dark Dimension, which is technically another universe. If I'm remembering correctly, during Infinity Crusade, he actually makes a comment about a single universe being insignificant to him and he doesn't care whether or not it ends, despite him having a panic attack during Infinity Gauntlet at the notion of Thanos wanting to replace him. We know he can't represent the entire multiverse because there are What If issues and similar things with other, unrelated incarnations of Eternity, including one that actually dies in alternate Korvac Saga, though.

Pic related.
>>
>>80512360

Deadpool's not really that in touch with the cosmic set, his run-ins with Death and Thanos notwithstanding.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.