[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Deadpool
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: deadpool.jpg (405 KB, 2000x1076) Image search: [Google]
deadpool.jpg
405 KB, 2000x1076
Do you think Rob Liefeld is pissed that they made a movie based not on his original concept, but on a concept of a writer that came much later?

Sure the original Deadpool was crazy but he wasn't what I would have called whacky. Then Daniel Way comes along and totally takes the character in a different direction and he gets wildly popular and has one of the biggest if not the biggest rated R comic book movies based on him.

Meanwhile Rob Liefeld is sitting back watching a character that he copied off of another character (Slade) get all changed up and getting popular. Is he salty or does he dry those tears with 100 dollar bills?
>>
>>80475472
Read Joe Kelly's run, then come back.
>>
>>80475502
I have, that's the one with T ray and Blind Al and the box right? I enjoyed that one but I still wouldn't say that the movie was based on that character as much as they based him on Way's version of DP.
>>
>>80475577
I'd say it's a mix. But definitely not overly waypool.
>>
>>80475472
Doubt it. He's fine with people running with different interpretations of his stuff. See Prophet by Brandon Graham.
>>
I doubt he cares as long as he gets the credit, attention and money as the "creator"
>>
>Still trying pass the Waypool meme

Everybody who's seen it knows it's nothing like Waypool
>>
>>80475472
he is probably extremely happy about this, I cant see him mad at all.
>>
>>80475472
>Do you think Rob Liefeld is pissed

Liefeld is such a narcissist he loves the movie because one of his shitty ripoff ideas happened to be picked up by better writers and made into something better.

And he gets to claim credit.
>>
He seems pretty happy about deadpool. But I do get the feeling that he's trying to take credit for the post-liefeld interpretation of the character.
>>
Shame they didn't give credit to any other writers that made him popular. They could have at least snuck some of their names into the movie as Easter eggs. Or maybe they did and I missed it?
>>
>>80475472
No, because he knows he didn't write it (that's not even in question: FOX properly credited Fabian Nicieza as co-creator, and he was the writer of the partnership - Liefeld was hired to draw) and the fleshing out of that character is what made it popular long-term. There were plenty of 90s characters - few are still with us, fewer still with the original creative team. Even Spawn, a creator-owned title at a creator-owned publisher, isn't drawn or written by Todd MacFarlane any more. You have to reach a point where either you accept the works of others and the popularity that you can achieve through them for the character, or you wither in obscurity. It's simple division of labor - but I guess it would probably piss off an objectivist.

He's also not salty because exposure of a character he co-created means exposure for him; interviews, people picking over his portfolio and potentially optioning things he actually owns and can get paid for (for maybe a few thousand dollars, unless they actually make a movie out of it), and so on.

As a freelancer, he can't afford to be precious about where his next meal is coming from.
>>
Liefeld is a total bro. He's probably just happy people like something he created
>>
>>80476842
>Or maybe they did and I missed it?

In the bar Wade said something like "Sup, Liefeld"
>>
>>80476947
But he can't draw feet, so that means he's worse than hitler!
>>
>>80476971
Na I wasn't talking about that one, I was talking about shout outs to Daniel Way or Joe Kelly.
>>
>>80475796
He almost certainly doe't get any money.
>>
>>80475472
>Rob Liefeld
>original concept
Wade Wilson is just Slade Wilson with two eyes. There is nothing original about ninja spider-man, whatsoever.
>>
>>80475472
I think that he might be happy, because the movie was about the popular Deadpool, but it constantly made references to a "Rob L" or "Liefeld". So he got to have his cake and eat it too.

I don't think that anyone who couldn't be bothered to take an anatomy class before getting into comics would complain about getting credit for another person's work.
>>
>>80476842
There was Nicenzia street sign visible on the highway
>>
>>80477435
Ahh neat. I missed that.
>>
So is Deadpool actually any good? I know it's Waypool intended to pander to teenagers who love le wacky avocado man, but if I go into it expecting that will it hold up?
>>
>>80477650
I liked it. I think the swearing was a bitch much. It's like the tried to make new phrases up on the spot. Like the phrase bag of dick knobs felt ham handed and cringe worthy. Other than that the actions great and the movie is pretty fun.

Go see it, you won't be disappointed.
>>
>>80477650
Its Kellypool right out of her storyline. People who said the is Wallypool are trolls.
>>
>>80477399
IT'S NOT FUCKIN' SPIDER-MAN
>>
>>80476947
Pretty much.

Rob was the "guest of honor" at a local con recently, and I watched him speak at his panel. This was a couple months before the deadpool flick dropped and he was hyping the shit out of it and actively encouraging everyone to see it, talking about how awesome the movie was, etc.

95% of the questions were DP related (even getting into videogame stuff) and he seemed more than happy to be talking about the character and his history with it.

Honestly, dude is a class act. Check out the recent Fatman on Batman interview with Paul Dini for another example of a creator who understands how to deal with different interpretations of his best known character.
>>
>>80477745
>>80477728
Neat, will do
>>
>>80477650
>le wacky avocado man
the jokes about his face were actually pretty well timed in the movie
but in the trailer they just sandwiched all the gags together without any of the intermediate conversation
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.