[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Animation: Is it worth it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: tumblr_o2vclmt8xR1uez7bfo1_1280.jpg (168 KB, 1090x1425) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o2vclmt8xR1uez7bfo1_1280.jpg
168 KB, 1090x1425
I'm considering doing a degree in Animation in Australia but lately I'm having doubts because of how bad the industry is over here and how hard it is to break into the US industry. The comments on how useless and how low payed you get really makes me against going through it all but it's been a lifelong dream and I don't want end up in something i hate doing.

Could I eventually get to america with such a job? Would it be better to do a degree in america, sva seems really great but they seem to only pick the cream of the crop
>>
>it's been a lifelong dream
>comments on how useless and how low payed
>I don't want end up in something i hate doing.

Don't bother, to put it bluntly If this was truly your dream you wouldn't be so hesitant about it. People who have it as their dream are passionate about it(which is why they put up with all the shit) and job stability doesn't stop starving artist who have making their art their dream. See online animators. look into comics or something
>>
>>80468468
Echoing this guys statements, how old are you Anon? If you're fresh out of school or something I'd take a year off and think about it, really think about it. My school pressured me into picking a dream really early and sticking with it for my entire education, it wasn't until I took a year to just evaluate myself that I realized I didn't want to do it at all.
>>
>>80468468

I've only just recently had self doubt because of the recent backlash against calarts and animators as a whole. The fact that only a few schools and LA are the only ways to scratch into the industry make me on edge.

I've really been hard at work in sharpening my skills until recently dropping back down to earth and get a major reality check on what possible and whats impossible
>>
>>80468468
And theres nothing wrong with looking at salary as a factor if I need to pay off both my degree and whatever i'm living in
>>
File: i_hug_that_feel.png (100 KB, 600x553) Image search: [Google]
i_hug_that_feel.png
100 KB, 600x553
Part 1 As someone from australia I know your pain. I'm currently studying an animation degree at SAE Industries. Right now it's really the only institute that offers a somewhat decent education within the animation/digital media industry in general. I applied and successfully got into Vancouver Film School, however i learnt i wasn't able to pay off my student costs in time due to multiple factors (money, time, living, etc) so I basically got stuck here. Hell i even went over there for a visit to get a look around and apply to some studios but most of them are small start ups, which is good mind you so if you can get your application in, they'll put you on the priority list in the event they have an opening / want to open for more employees.

I'd recommend going to Vancouver Film School if you want a US level education, it is really easy to get a student/study visa in canada since Aus and Can are commonwealth nations so you can cut half the paper work. CalArts and that shit is not worth it, few of my friends in the states went there for like a term and dropped out.

If you decide to remain in australia for your uni/animation degree and do go to SAE industries. There's a few issues

1: They have a useless course called CIU, it is incredibly redundant with your entire education in general and it makes your assignments extra stressful. You get stuck in learning about shit like sexuality, feminism, societal issues, etc. They explain how "it helps you understand why you create" yet you get dragged into debates how religion, sexuality, etc. I don't understand why the fuck they believe that shit is relevant if you are developing an animated series but apparently you can't make shit now days without pissing off a group of religious zealots.

2: Terms 3-4 onwards are incredibly dull and repetitive, you get stuck with this shit called Learning Objectives (otherwise called LO's) and they are literally the same shit. Over and over again, you get this added level of stress
>>
File: d2b.png (35 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
d2b.png
35 KB, 128x128
(2)

2 (cont): onto your studies, it's not educational at all after studio 1 so it just becomes a dull sense in your head.

3: The students suck ass. I can not stress this enough. My time there i have encountered probably what, 3-4 people who actually have a fucking brain and don't actively try to fuck you up. We've had groups fall apart because 1 student decided not to pick up slack or sections of teams fall apart since some selfish ass hole decided their problems are more important than everyone passing the group. You can fail shit easily because of this so you have this added tension of having to actually pick up after everyone.

Ultimately i know how shit i sound right now but as someone in your shoes I can relate completely. My best suggestion would be looking into saving up for Vancouver Film School or finding some way you can get assistance paying for it. If you cant then you'd be better off going through SAE than something like UQ.

Another thing that helps is having a series/comic you could develop on the side. It helps build up a portfolio while you are working on a degree. You'd be amazed how much initiative and prerogative that shows with your own work. It's a strong sense of dedication. Just make sure you have these things in place, you'll get somewhere if you keep trying. I mean, most people don't get anywhere with out taking a shot in the dark.
>>
>>80468692
>>80468631

Thanks for the advice it's really made me think about paths and option. I never really looked into SAE as griffith was what was aiming for and whatmy school pushed for, but that vancouver film sound very promising i'll check it out. thanks for again and good luck in your degree
>>
>>80468840

Griffith is.... a weird choice. I've heard reaaaaaaalllly mixed things about Griffith's animation program practically being non-existent most of the time. You'd get more out of SAE than Griff.
>>
>>80468414
It's not so much as sticking out as it is just being part of the hivemind. That's all it is. Industry is filled with nepotism.

And if you aren't the talent you are just hired help.

Poeple here wil want to deny it to hell and back cuz /co/mblr but honestly if you aren't talented you are worth shit.

Who knows stick with it and suck those dicks. I'm sure you'll make it somewhere.
>>
>>80468962

I really wish users on this site gave criticism like you, you do it in a way that is straightforward and rational while being optimistic, my art isn't so great so I guess I'll just have to work hard and stay determined to reach my goal, thanks for the advice
>>
>>80468898
Do you have any stories of people who graduated and went onto break into the industry (in or outside of Australia?)
>>
>>80469087

Most of our family friends work in the movie/animation in general. They proceeded to move over there though shortly after though either to find work or with an employer at the ready.
>>
File: queen7.png (226 KB, 1002x946) Image search: [Google]
queen7.png
226 KB, 1002x946
>>80468414
>MFW when i always wanted to work in something like animation/comics or entertainment in general
>Tells that to my parents and gets discouraged because shit like that doesn't bring any money in Brazil
>Years later i still try to peruse this by going into a animation course
>The course sucks ass and neither the teachers or whoever else is there doesn't give a fuck about anything, which makes me wonder why are they there in the first place
>After i finish college i loose all the will to peruse that so i enter in a college to learn Programming and plan a bunch of other stuff to peruse as a life plan
>Everything goes terribly wrong and I completely suck at programming
>i resent for ever giving up on my dreams everyday
>I don't know what to do with my life
>>
>>80469281
>He went to college
>Not just NEET out of highschool
>>
>>80469311
Most public colleges are FREE in brazil, so i don't have to spend a penny to study.
>>
>>80469281

Ahahaha, you're from Brazil...
>>
>>80468414
Hey anon. No it isn't-- Or at least don't go to a university for education, just practice yourself. There are loads of books on things you will learn in class. Probably the only thing that's worth it is the people you meet
>>
>>80468631
bro do you have a blog? I want to network a bit.
maliciousalice.tumblr.com is mine. Also a shitposter.
>>
>>80469333
Nah I'm saying at least you went to college. I don't think you realize how many people here that are from the U.S. that haven't even done that much (and of course really wanted to.)
>>
>>80469333

>what are taxes
>>
In a similar position to you OP (but in Yurop). Returning to education as a mature student as I never went to uni when I was younger, but I went to visit a few unis that specialize and have ultimately decided to study 3D animation, because there are employment opportunities in /co/, /tv/ and /v/ related fields. When I saw how fucking hard the 2D animators worked on their art and then looked at their abysmal employment rate after uni it made up my mind. You might enjoy learning it but the opportunities to work in that field once your studies have finished are few. 80-90% of the fucking work they do in in their final uni projects is now done in Korean sweatshops. At this point it's like learning something like blacksmithing - An amazing skill to have but not a lot of opportunity to make a living out of it any more.

>>80468692
>It helps build up a portfolio while you are working on a degree. You'd be amazed how much initiative and prerogative that shows with your own work. It's a strong sense of dedication.
Would definitely echo this, even to get into uni I've had to seriously work on my art in different mediums and build up a portfolio. Students I've spoken to in their final year trying to secure employment all stressed how important it is to be constantly working on your portfolio to demonstrate ability in different mediums and styles.
>>
>>80469390
True, but i kind suck at what i do. Most of college years have being like this:

>Wake up at 3 AM to kelp my mom at her job so i can get a free ride to my actual job
>Work from 6 am to 12 AM( and from 8 am to 18 PM when i changed jobs)
>Get to college
>Get back home at 8 or 9 pm
>At weekends i work on my second job
>I'm totally exhausted at this point so i can't practice what i learned during class
>Get just enough grade to pass but not to actually learn anything very well.

I've been doing this for years. Last year was my chance to get good at this shit but i messed upo that too

>>80469401
I pay taxes regardless of going to college or not mate. At least i don't have to pay more because of that.
>>
>want a career in animation
>don't get accepted into calarts
>get a degree in graphic design instead
>make more money than i ever have before
>on a career path to be an art director
>still trying to backdoor my way into the industry

Do whatever you want, OP. It won't be easy but the Internet makes it so people can get the jobs they want from wherever they live and you don't really HAVE to go to school for it.

I would NEVER go back to school for animation, but by posting shit online and making connections, I'm hoping I can widdle my way into something in the future. Do a lot of work and never stop learning. It will suck to see some people get jobs in animation by scratching their ass, but sometimes shit is unfair. Honestly, I wouldn't move to America just to get a job in animation considering how hard it is to STILL get a job in animation when you're here, too.
>>
There are, what, 15 major art schools in the US with animation programs, right? On top of that, there's like a billion smaller for-profit schools with shitty animation programs too. Each pumping out like 50-100 students a year for an industry where nobody is really leaving and they have like 6 studios everyone wants to work at and are outsourcing the bulk of their work to sweatshops in Asian countries.

I went to one of the big art schools, most of my friends studied animation and left with degrees. One of them works for Pixar, he was so good he entered the school with a full-ride scholarship and a major grant from a contest he won. The others are mostly working in illustration or video games - Zynga, Disney Mobile, stuff like that. That's the extent of animation they do.
>>
>>80468414
You'd be better off with your own platform with things you create and animate. If you can animate stuff, then do it.
>>
File: cosbyface.jpg (13 KB, 308x325) Image search: [Google]
cosbyface.jpg
13 KB, 308x325
>>80468962
>Who knows stick with it and suck those dicks
>>
>>80468414
you came to the only place on the planet that give fail@life certificates to ask this?
Is it possible? Genndy Tartakovsky says yes. Is it going to be iz? Depends on on the hardness of your balls.
>>
>>80469812
4Chan can be kind sometimes, everyones realness is why i stick around. its refreshing to see people showing there true colours freely instead of covering it up in order to offend no one
>>
>>80468414
I do a 3d animation course at Sydney Tafe and it's pretty decent
>>
>>80469966
>everyone realness is why i stick around
It is why, even with all the shitpost, i come to this place, at least people are real about stuff in here.
>>
>>80468414
I will be the first to tell you if you can draw a line on a paper you can get into SVA.
>>
>>80468414
if its what you love go ahead and try maybe it will be hard sometimes but you will be doing what you love and that is worth it
>>
>>80469498
>>don't get accepted into calarts
People shit post a lot about and paint it as the source of global cancer in animation, but seeing you seems to have seriously attempted to enter it, what are the requirement to qualify in it? What have you heard they teach that become useful?
>>
>>80468414
If you're doing animation because you want the money, then you should probably do something else.
>>
>>80470763
I wannado animation because i have stories and ideas i wanna produce for the world, the money isn't a main factor but its nice to have for, i dunno pay for my debt and housing arrangement
>>
File: tumblr_o37mevYlfh1uush3wo3_1280.gif (657 KB, 707x500) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o37mevYlfh1uush3wo3_1280.gif
657 KB, 707x500
>>80470836

Is animation worth it? Sure.

But at this point it'll be easier for you to make your own comic, complete it, then shop it to studios and networks.

Not that I'm trying to dissuade you from pursuing animation, just that there are paths for you to take even if you ultimately decide against it.
>>
>>80468414
The animation industry is rife with nepotism, even more than ever. Getting job is less a matter of talents than knowing the good people.

Animators are fully aware of this and often secretly ashamed. This is why so many are attracted to social justice ideas, it feels like a redemption.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.