[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's Discuss: The Disney Package Films
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: packagefilms.jpg (100 KB, 640x154) Image search: [Google]
packagefilms.jpg
100 KB, 640x154
During the 1940's Disney couldn't do full animated features due to problems of budget and of WWII causing them to lose animators to the military as well as having to divest their attention to making propaganda for the government.

Thus, instead we got the Package films: Saludos Amigos and The Three Caballeros (which are a little separate as they were part of the Good Neighbor Policy), Make Mine Music, Fun and Fancy Free, Melody Time, and The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad.

Have you seen these movies? Do you like them at all? Do they have any merit still? Do they still deserve to have theme park real estate? Let's discuss.
>>
Three Caballeros is one of my fondest childhood memories. The ending especially is such an acid trip that I love it. The Mickey and the Beanstalk section of F&FF and all of Ichabod and Mr. toad are also great.

MMM and Melody Time are kind of meh though.
>>
They're very hit or miss, as figured. Ichabod and Mr. Toad is noticeably better than all the others though by a mile.
>>
They were all shit. There's a reason Walt was in such a hurry to bring back real movies with Cinderella.
>>
>>80456421
You're shit. Caballeros were the best.
>>
Package Era films are streaming tonight as 3rd day as a marathon through the Disney canon. livestream dot com slash oakshappyfuntime
>>
I never got Ichabod. Were we supposed to root for him? He was kind of a dick. Brom Bones was the real hero.
>>
Make Mine Music and Melody Time even had some good bits. Pecos Bill, Casey at the Bat...they kind of worked better as standalone shorts though rather than as one movie all together.
>>
Ichabod and Mr. Toad and The Three Caballeros are the only ones that still deserve recognition as memorable stories. The others are all trash.
>>
Three Caballeros was god tier. I would definitely say it's the most underrated Disney movie of all time. Saludos Amigos was also good though that was definitely more just assorted Disney shorts placed together into a movie. (If you even want to call it a movie. It was only 40 minutes or so long.) The segment with Goofy was hilarious, I can give it that.

I haven't seen any of the other package films save for Mickey and the Beanstalk. Though I really do want to watch Mr. Toad one of these days because I love the ride based on it at Disneyland.
>>
That Willie the Whale bit was always pretty impressive, but nobody seems to remember it.
>>
>>80458277
Mr. Toad is being shown later tonight in that stream spoilered up earlier in this thread. They're just now finishing Make Mine Music, and about to do Fun and Fancy Free soon.
>>
>>80456161
>Fun and Fancy Free

Shieet, i've been looking for that movie for a while, i had vague memories of the puppets and the Bongo story but i couldn't ever remember what it was all from
>>
>>80458670
It's playing right now. Come on into the stream man.
>>
>>80459091
Unfortunately it's 4am here, gotta go sleep, but thanks for inadvertently helping me, OP
>>
File: dscn14611.jpg (20 KB, 450x337) Image search: [Google]
dscn14611.jpg
20 KB, 450x337
>>80458277
>Mickey and the Beanstalk.

I grew up on the Ludwig Von Drake version of that, back when Disney packaged it individually as a "mini classic" independent of the full film.

When I finally saw the original version on DVD with the Charlie McCarthy/Mortimer Snerd/Edgar Bergan running commentary, I was irritated as fuck.

They talk through the whole fucking cartoon and their commentary isn't funny at all.

The Ludwig Von Drake version is way better, but I don't think you can get it anywhere on DVD.
>>
Melody Time now starting!
>>
>>80456161
Fun & Fancy Free would be great if it wasn't for Bongo. Make Mine Music is terrible and is Disney's worst 2D movie, the only salvageable short is All The Cats Join In.
>>
Now on Ichabod and Mr. Toad
>>
Where's Reluctant Dragon?
>>
>>80456801
Wasn't Gaston actually based on him?
>>
>>80470356
By "him" I meant Brom.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.