[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kung Fu Panda discussion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
Anyone else felt the movie sorta fell apart once they got to the panda village? Like it really lost its focus and replaced it with cheap gags and jokes.

Also Kung Fu Panda thread, I guess.
>>
The movie needed another 30 minutes, at least. I wanted more of a reason to fear or feel bad for Kai. I needed more from everyone.

Kai a cutie though, at least.
>>
Po is actually a panda when it boils down, but can he actually train an entire village?
This is going to take hard work, only a real Kung Fu master can win the day at the end.
Evil has to be stopped.
>>
>>80420820
Who's that semen demon?
>>
>>80420849
The movie would have benefited greatly from an extra 30 minutes to help slow the pacing down a little, it moved way too fast at some points, and yeah, Kai didn't really have much of a reasoning behind becoming evil other than power lust.

>>80420874
Po training an entire village in like a couple of hours felt really forced and contrived.
>>
>>80420820
The ending was such an asspull it was almost insulting. Easily the worst of the three.
>>
File: 1446055892946.jpg (57 KB, 317x800) Image search: [Google]
1446055892946.jpg
57 KB, 317x800
>>80420968
>That Kung Fu Fighting rendition at the end
It really feels like they got a lot of complaints about the seriousness of 2 and just removed it altogether.
>Tigress was barely in the movie, let alone doing anything
>No cute moments between her and Po other than the "A friend." part
Also, OP here, and by lose focus, I mean, like, in 2, Po was trying to find inner peace throughout it at good intervals, but they get to the panda village and nothing happens, and then Po is a master of Chi when he fights Kai in the spirit realm.
The more I think about this movie the more things I dislike about it, and that's really sad to me.
>>
>>80420923
I think the implication is that Po hasn't been learning extremely high level techniques simply by observing them once in every movie because he's the chosen one, but because he's a panda and they are naturally fast learners if they apply themselves.
>>
>>80420923
>Po training an entire village in like a couple of hours felt really forced and contrived.
I would have been behind this more if they had some small changes.
The last two movies basically boil down to
>Po tries
>Po fails
>Ping offers some simple insight
>Po wins

I was really hoping that Ping would have a much bigger impact on the ending than what he did. Po's entire training revolved around learning that what he does is Kung fu, that everything is Kung fu. It's cliche but it would work in this case.
I was honestly hoping Ping would be the one to learn how to use chi first since he seems so at peace with everything.
>>
>>80420820
The pacing is shit from the start.
>>
>>80421352
It really goes bad when the opening starts off with this huge threat being revealed then the next 2/3 of the movie is spent on "HAH! Pandas are fat!" jokes
>>
>>80420874
Yeeaahhh the panda village.... that really should have been kept in a long television show about Po learning and training the pandas for the grand finale with fighting against Kai.

I really think the movie would have benefited greatly if we spent less time with the panda village and more time in the spirit realm with Oogway, more time with Shifu, Tigress, Po. Perhaps more time with Kai fighting all the masters instead of 1 hit KO-ing everyone.

Instead the plot felt like something you'd expect out of a tv series. Hell they even got the adoptive bird father as a main character into the role. Po's father was basically a clone of himself, just like all the other pandas.
>>
>>80421343
The whole two dads thing felt so forced.

>>80421352
>>80421415
At least 2 had an opening that explained the story of who the villain was and why he did the bad thing, but here, Kai just sorta shows up.
Also, Kai didn't really kill anyone, did he? Even Shen killed.
>>
>>80421482
He didn't really kill, but he did steal souls and force them into servitude.

His origin made it seem like he killed a lot of people for power. Which wasn't really explained well enough. I mean you can get the inference that he wanted an army of invincible jade warriors, but the movie should have stressed that more.

Also having them revert back to normal really does put a crimp on the whole "evil" thing.
>Kai turns his army into jade warriors
>lets them all turn back to normal after the fight
>battle is won without a single casualty on his end
Things like that actually make him seem like much less of a bad guy.
Now if they mentioned that he lost his entire army and was seeking to make a new army of slaves, it'd make some more sense.
>>
>>80421482
>Kai didn't really kill anyone, did he? Even Shen killed.
It's justified, he benefited more from turning them into talismans and absorbing their chi than killing them.
>>
>>80421559
I don't think he ever intended to turn anyone back, he just wanted all the power for himself.
>>
>>80421352
>>80421415
It's weird how good the pacing in 2 was compared to 3, especially when you take into the fact that it's like 3 minutes shorter.
They really, REALLY should have focused less on the panda village shenanigans stuff.
>>
>>80421699
Just how many montages were in this one?
>>
>>80421699
Or they should have shown it as a humble village of holocaust survivors instead of being comic relief in its entirety.
>>
>>80421730
If you count the like, 5 minutes of Po and his real dad goofing off in the room with all of the valuable weapons and artifacts, as well as when they're traveling to the panda village, and when Po's training the village, 3, unless I'm forgetting one. Does the beginning of the movie count as a montage? And the ending, I suppose.
Speaking of the ending, it was weird how they didn't have a scene that'd imply there'd be a fourth movie, because I think there's going to be like several, right?

>>80421763
Yeah, but after critics said the second movie was too serious, they probably changed it to appeal more to kids.
>Like two actual retarded pandas
>That female panda that hit on Po that served no real purpose
>The kids
>His cousins or whatever the fuck
>>
>>80420820
It's a shame because the movie looked fucking great.

But yeah once we get to the panda village the movie falls apart.

I'm all for comedic moments, but most of the other 2 movies' comedy come from Po being an outsider/out of place in the current situation.

Po acts silly and without any sense of style or gravitas in contrast to a serious scene or a threatening villain.

The problem with the comedy in the 3rd film is that all the new Panda's are silly/dumb but have nothing to play off since that's Po's roll anyway.

That and there's just waaay too much of this 'comedy' when I imagine everyone just wants to see more of the villain or the 5 or even a more fleshed out plot or world.

At least we got more Oogway though.
>>
>>80422014
I came into the film knowing pretty much nothing, and seeing Oogway was a really nice surprise. I didn't have many expectations, but I still felt let down. Maybe I'm just so bias and critical because I absolutely love 2 and consider it possibly my favorite animated movie, but yeah.
Po was already the comic relief, and making a movie with multiple comic reliefs just doesn't work ever.
>>
>>80422159
Agreed. 2 is fucking based and actually the first one I saw randomly on TV.

I avoided Kung Fu Panda for years because in my head it was "JACK BLACK IS A PANDA LOL, HE FALLS DOWN A LOT AND IS FAT LMAO".

The 3rd film isn't actually far off my original idea of Kun Fu Panda if I'm honest, in places anyway.

That said it doesn't spoil the first 2 and yeah the second is the best imo mostly due to Shen.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PXDRFrLRKw
This scene made me truly appreciate Shen.
>most of his villain dialogue revolves around the seer
>honestly confused that Po isn't there to fulfill the vision
>has no problem retreating
>has goals well outside of defeating Po
hell even his top henchman wasn't just blatantly evil. He refused to fire on his own men even at the cost of his life.
>>
>>80422728
I loved that crazy look Shen got in his eyes, and the Po and Tigress moments in 2 felt so genuine.
>>
Po turning into a spirit dragon was pretty cool.
>>
>>80423062
I thought it was cool how he obliterated Kai's immortal soul like he was filling a balloon with too much air
>>
>>80422728
I feel like we don't get enough ham in our villains these days. Gary Oldman is super hammy as Shen but he totally pulls it off and Shen comes across as genuinely threatening.
>>
>>80423602
Probably because Shen was written so well, not to mention actually does shit and has goals aside from defeating the Dragon Warrior.
>>
>>80422728
In my opinion the best scene of Shen is probably this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPEVKhJ55m4
>That nodding he does as if to confirm what he said is true to himself
>That slight hesitation and lack of breath in his voice
>>
>>80420820
Even from the dismissal of Shenfags who just want to fug the bird on this site, the movie did pretty well with its intended audience. Normies, Hans, and dumb kids.

Gaining a higher score on Rotten Tomatoes, 8.4 out of 2's 7.4. But honestly, I get the feeling that a lot of people on this board are expecting KFP to be something that it isn't. Most of /co/ doesn't give two shits about this series because there's not much to it.

As Shenfag myself, I feel that he's a very flawed character with a lot of potential, forever stuck in an imperfect, schizophrenic series of movies.

Just stick with the fanfics and hope the series dies off from a lack of interest.
>>
>>80424374
Shut the fuck up.
>>
Shen was a far better villian, and I'm not just saying that because I was to fuck the pretty birdie.
>>
File: 1456516926998.png (1 MB, 852x854) Image search: [Google]
1456516926998.png
1 MB, 852x854
Shen > Kai = Tai Lung
We can all agree on this, yes?
>>
>>80423668
He didn't even care that Po was the Dragon Warrior. He only thought he was the lone surviving panda and had to be killed to stop the prophecy.

I also found the fact that a whole village of pandas escaped Shen's knowledge, considering how utterly obsessed he was with the prophecy.

Best villain of the trilogy by far.
>>
>>80420820
waste of a good villain design
>>
>>80425350
I personally enjoyed the Shifu/Tai Lung dynamic more than the Po/Shen dynamic but I can very easily understand why people really loved Shen he was really well done.

Tai Lung's story was just more compelling to me personally.
>>
I loved the rest of the movie and don't mind it focusing on comedy more again but they really should've given Kai some excuse. Even Tai Lung had some reasoning to be antagonistic but Kai just went from a total bro to all evil in a blink with no reason given
>>
>>80426654
it was greeeeeeed.
Hence the green.
They're mixing connotations again, green represents both his greed in the normal sense and also knowledge and wisdom in the Chinese sense, since what he does with his chi stealing power is steal the knowledge and abilities of others to replicate as his own.
>>
>>80420820
All I kept thinking when I saw Kai on screen was I'M SO SORRY!
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.