[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Details For DC UNIVERSE: REBIRTH Unveiling Event at WONDERCON
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 8
File: DC_Rebirth.jpg (58 KB, 575x271) Image search: [Google]
DC_Rebirth.jpg
58 KB, 575x271
>DC Entertainment is tapping into fans of the annual comic book, sci-fi and pop culture gathering, WonderCon, to unveil a host of details regarding its upcoming line wide DC UNIVERSE: REBIRTH initiative at a can’t-miss event open to both fans and media on Saturday, March 26 at 9am PST in Petree Hall at the Los Angeles Convention Center.

>Attendees will get breaking news on the upcoming line wide re-launch from DC Entertainment Co-Publishers Dan DiDio and Jim Lee, along with DCE Chief Creative Officer and best-selling writer Geoff Johns. For the first time, everyone in attendance will also be introduced to the REBIRTH artists and writers, many of whom will be in attendance at the event. This lineup of talent has been kept highly secret so fans would be the first to know who will be writing and drawing their favorite (and new?) characters!

>Both press and attendees will also be treated to the very first look at new covers, character renders and other REBIRTH artwork, including Geoff Johns’ 80-page DC UNIVERSE: REBIRTH Special which kicks off this all-new universe of stories on May 25th. And if you’re a fan of awesome art, you’re in luck; all attendees will receive a limited edition DC UNIVERSE: REBIRTH-themed lithograph, drawn by DCE Co-Publisher and veteran artist Jim Lee!

>This must-see event is open on a first come, first served basis to all registered WonderCon attendees with a valid event badge. Any media inquiries can be directed to DCE Publicity at [email protected].

>And if you can’t make it to WonderCon, not to worry; DC Entertainment will be streaming this event live, hosted by DC All Access’ Tiffany Smith, on the DC Entertainment YouTube channel beginning at 9am PST.
>>
I wonder what title Gleason will get this time around. I'll follow him anywhere.
>>
Hoping for an Animal Man ongoing.
>>
>>80397712
this

Also, to the thread: what exactly is Rebirth?
I've been away from comics (cape comics for you indieans) lately.
Is it a full reboot like new52?
Is it a meaningless mini marketing event?
>>
>>80397712
They already announced their first batch of titles. Nothing too experimental.
>>
>>80397633
Doom Patrol pls
>>
>>80397763
It's a relaunch that focuses on core stuff and legacy since the DCYou, which focused on story > continuity and unique c-listers, failed.
At worst expect some retcons like Infinite Crisis and Zero Hour
>>
File: image.jpg (403 KB, 1207x2048) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
403 KB, 1207x2048
>>80397763
It's a relaunch, they already announced most of the new titles for this year
>>
>>80397763
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDuupQxkEe8
>>
>>80397806
>Nightwing #1
Please don't be Harper
>>
>>80397800
I wouldn't expect them to announce any minis anytime soon, but this could be a Doom Patrol hint:

https://twitter.com/dandidio1/status/700833003358957570
>>
>>80397633
>if you can’t make it to WonderCon, not to worry; DC Entertainment will be streaming this event live on the DC Entertainment YouTube channel

Cool.

>beginning at 9am PST

Can somebody tell me what this is in GMT/UTC?
>>
>>80398118
Whatever time it was 4 hours ago
>>
>>80397633
>their favorite (and new?) characters!
So we're getting a new batch of characters? This should be interesting.
>>
>>80398204
Some new legacies wouldn't be too bad.
>>
>>80398025
It's gonna be Dick
>>
>>80398113
>yfw bleedingcool would be right if that tweet means anything
>>
>>80398258
They were right about a lot of Rebirth stuff
>>
>>80398258
>>80398390
stopped clock, etc
>>
>>80397633
>9am PST.
jesus the line for that will probably begin before the sun rises.
>>
>>80398407
Bleedingcool is typically right about DC stuff but dead wrong about Marvel.

I have no idea why.
>>
>>80398451
the line starts at 7am PST
>>
>>80398113
>heading your Way

Daniel Way Doom Patrol?
>>
>>80398601
Gerard is the one who had the DP pitch
>>
>>80398627
Yeah, but why hope for the best when you can hope for the worst?
>>
>>80398627
That would be fucking wonderful.

Umbrella Academy was great
>>
>>80398025
Anon Harper is a fan-favourite they wouldn't lower her to a mere double shipping book, look out for her weekly that starts this winter.
>>
>>80398407
>>80398462
Uh ... no??
BleedingCool is just an awful site, the only news site worth a damn is ComicsAlliance
>>
File: measasupervillain.gif (976 KB, 299x223) Image search: [Google]
measasupervillain.gif
976 KB, 299x223
>>80398782
>reading any comic news site
>>
>>80398830
This. All you need is /co/ to curate important news for you. Maybe follow companies on twitter if you want direct news.
>>
>>80398782
He was still right for a majority of the Rebirth stuff
And we'll see how much of the creative side of Rebirth was right later this month
>>
>>80397763
Rebirth is the logical next step to Convergence.

You can already begin to see these effects in Green Lantern #50 (released today). And you've seen that with Superman: Lois and Clark.

DCYou wasn't a "failure". It was, first and foremost, a stopgap between Convergence and its next step. This is because, yes, Convergence was done somewhat haphazardly (although DC were aware of the possibilities it could bring to their lineup). Still, they didn't fully think things through by the time Convergence was being finalized, and of course, they still had to complete the move to the West Coast. So they had DCYou be combination of filler, experimentation, and direct lead-up into Convergence's aftermath: Rebirth.

Essentially, Convergence "converged" every universe and timeline to neatly fit into the New52/post-Flashpoint Multiverse.

If a story has taken place in the equivalent of Earth-0 a.k.a. the main DC universe, then it (probably) has at some point taken place in the current Earth-0. And so on for other earths. The histories all exist: they're just a part of the New52 multiverse now.

What that means for your favorite characters (e.g. Wally West) -- I dunno. The New52's white Wally West made his first appearance in Multiversity's The Just. Given how Convergence #8 presents the "converging" of history, white Wally's history might be stuck to Earth-16 (the Just's universe).
>>
File: Convergence (2015) 008-016.jpg (3 MB, 3975x3056) Image search: [Google]
Convergence (2015) 008-016.jpg
3 MB, 3975x3056
>>80399092

For example:

I'll be the first to admit that I didn't understand what these pages meant when I first read them, but it seems a lot clearer, now.

The "faded" pictures in the back of the Earths represent old stories -- the clearer pictures represent the current/recent stories.
>>
>>80399092
>DCYou wasn't a "failure".
Financially and in the long run it was, it showed that no matter how good a book is if it doesn't have a recognisable character on it, preferably Superman or anyone from the main Bat family, then it's unlikely to get the numbers to be an ongoing. that's why their rebirth line is about 2/3 from the Batman or Superman line and many are double prints it's the only proven way to turn a profit now.
>>
>>80399092
lmao DCYou was a pretty big financial failure.

It wasn't even a "the most outlandish books sell bad but they have some hits and okay selling books to make up for it" kind of thing. It was a "everything but like new 3 books are selling like complete ass" kind of thing.
The first is normal and is the New 52 and most of Marvel's relaunches, and the second is DCYou and even ANAD has some Avengers and X Men team books, Deadpool, and Thor to make up all the shitty selling ones.
>>
File: Convergence (2015) 008-017.jpg (3 MB, 3975x3056) Image search: [Google]
Convergence (2015) 008-017.jpg
3 MB, 3975x3056
>>80399279
Each world has "evolved" -- caught up to the current times -- but they all still exist. Every story has happened: it's just a matter of which universe those stories are embedded into.

For example, it seems that the "legacy" characters have all been relegated to Earth-16.
>>
File: Cereal Lord.jpg (18 KB, 300x167) Image search: [Google]
Cereal Lord.jpg
18 KB, 300x167
>>80397806
Just listing it out for easier reference:

REBIRTH SPECIALS

AQUAMAN REBIRTH
BATGIRL & THE BIRDS OF PREY REBIRTH
BATMAN REBIRTH
BATMAN BEYOND REBIRTH
BLUE BEETLE REBIRTH
CYBORG REBIRTH
DEATHSTROKE REBIRTH
EARTH 2 REBIRTH
THE FLASH REBIRTH
GREEN ARROW REBIRTH
GREEN LANTERNS REBIRTH
HAL JORDAN & THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS REBIRTH
THE HELLBLAZER REBIRTH
JUSTICE LEAGUE REBIRTH
NIGHTWING REBIRTH
RED HOOD & THE OUTLAWS REBIRTH
SUICIDE SQUAD REBIRTH
SUPERGIRL REBIRTH
SUPERMAN REBIRTH
TEEN TITANS REBIRTH
TITANS REBIRTH
TRINITY REBIRTH
WONDER WOMAN REBIRTH

BI-MONTHLY SERIES

ACTION COMICS
DETECTIVE COMICS
AQUAMAN
BATMAN
CYBORG
DEATHSTROKE
THE FLASH
GREEN ARROW
GREEN LANTERNS
HAL JORDAN & THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS
HARLEY QUINN
JUSTICE LEAGUE
JUSTICE LEAGUE AMERICA
NIGHTWING
SUICIDE SQUAD
SUPERMAN
WONDER WOMAN

MONTHLY SERIES

BATGIRL
BATGIRL & THE BIRDS OF PREY
BATMAN BEYOND
BLUE BEETLE
EARTH 2
GOTHAM ACADEMY: NEXT SEMESTER
THE HELLBLAZER
RED HOOD & THE OUTLAWS
SUPERGIRL
SUPERWOMAN
THE SUPER-MAN
SUPER SONS
TEEN TITANS
TITANS
TRINITY
>>
>>80399443
>all those #1s
Literally Marvel
>>
>>80399458
Marvel sends us to Hell. But we are going even deeper. Renumbering everything that we've got
>>
>>80399388
Man, Infinite Crisis had a much cooler post-apocalyptic Hal.
>>
>>80399092
And I honestly thought Convergence was some shitty, confused event about several Earths destroying each other in a battle royals or something. Was there really more to it? Should've paid more attention, but I really didn't wanna.
>>
>>80399636
There really wasn't any more to it and he's just posting headcanons he hopes come true to make up for reading it.

I'm hoping Superboy Prime just comes by and punches things right
>>
>>80399305
>>80399369
DCYou will always be a success in my heart. And at least a number of writers really showed off their chops and will move on to bigger things, probably.
>>
>>80399305
>>80399369

I'd consider DCYou a failure if it caused DC to considerably change up their game plan. That doesn't seem to have been the case. Your points about "only Superman and Batman sell" have been true for....half a century.

DCYou's low sales were expected across the board. Like I said:

* It succeeded in being a stopgap between Convergence and what they planned next (which was unknown by the time Convergence was being finalized and by the time they NEEDED a lineup of books).
* It succeeded, as far as we can tell, in not wasting the best stories that DC had planned for potential big push. Seriously, how many truly great DC stories were told in DCYou besides, say, Darkseid War (and even that has an asterisk to it)? And of those great stories, how many were planned for a long-time (Darkseid War), versus great stories told naturally by great writers (Tom King's Omega Men, and some other comics)? That leads to the next point:
* It succeeded in experimentation, at least internally, because DC knows where their talent lies.

DCYou would have failed if Justice League or Batman were bad sellers.
They weren't.

It would have failed if sales were so ridiculously bad that no one bought anything.
Close, but sales were fairly consistent with pre-DCYou, besides the new books.

It would have failed if critical acclaim was abysmal.
True for some, highly untrue for others.

So, overall, DCYou's successes outweigh its weaknesses.
>>
>>80398782
>>80398830
>>80398893

what the fuck, just get a fucking trip.
>>
>>80399686
>I'm hoping Superboy Prime just comes by and punches things right
Mark my words, after Lois and Clark get canceled, someone out there will have the brilliant idea of getting them killed in some heroic manner during an event, then another writer will think of making their now orphaned son into the new Superboy Prime later down the line. Heed my words anon, for I have seen the future.
>>
>>80399305
>>80399369
You missed the purpose of DCYou-- focus on series that will sell well in trades. Midnighter and Prez are already selling well in trades because of the word of mouth. The types who buy ongoings didn't buy them, sure, but that market is no longer as important as Amazon and Barnes & Noble where the majority of trade sales are now.

The problem was that the core books of DCYou-- Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Cyborg and Teen Titans-- were not getting the kind of word-of-mouth and acclaim that the more niche titles were, and a big portion of those niche titles weren't either.

So that's what I think Rebirth is really about, restoring the tentpole status of their core books. Hence going twice monthly, in order to produce more trades in a year. As much as people like to call New 52 a "failure" after the first few months, the truth is the first volumes of New 52 Batman, Flash, Wonder Woman and Justice League continue to be their biggest selling books that aren't self-contained graphic novels.

That's the audience they're going for with Rebirth, and hopefully they'll try to continue the more moderate success of niche stuff like Midnighter and Prez.
>>
File: twasme.jpg (22 KB, 850x606) Image search: [Google]
twasme.jpg
22 KB, 850x606
>Flash in the center
>Jay Garrick on the left
>>
>>80400473
>Hence going twice monthly, in order to produce more trades in a year.

In this sense (trade focus) DCYou actually succeeded because it led them to doing this. Didio himself said the trade market was the one that's growing.
>>
>>80399458
They have half as many as Marvel just did
>>
>>80400520
It's Kid Flash not Flash, spiked hair in the top
>>
>>80400473
Except Didio and Lee admitted they fucked up and the audience they were going for bought trades more. They didn't go in expecting floppies to sell so badly and for trades to sell well.
They obviously wanted a few sleeper hits like Ms Marvel and Hawkeye. As good as those did in trades, they also had/have steady sales above 30k, Hawkeye being closer to 40k for most of the run.
Omega Men and Midnighter are probably the most acclaimed of all the new books, barring Robin: SOB since he's an already popular character, yet they're also selling the worst in floppies. Omega Men is even dropping despite people throwing a fit about it being cancelled and uncancelled.
>>
I'm getting a little tired of them announcing that they're gonna announce something. We get it, it's gonna be another 4 weeks until we learn shit.
>>
>>80399534
Fucking hell m8, stop posting that shit in every goddamn Multiversity thread
Master Chief Atomic Green Lantern is so much better than your shitty edgy redesign
>>
>>80400628
Where do you see hair? The upper part seems cut
>>
>>80399443
This is the blandest lineup they've had in forever right? Hellblazer is the weirdest thing on there.
>>
>>80403822
The full picture has been posted before. I never saved it though.
>>
>>80401476
It's supremely baffling and disheartening that they still haven't learned that creators, lineups, and continuity specificity are the things that should be spearheading a relaunch announcement.
>>
File: 1455835296640.jpg (21 KB, 654x200) Image search: [Google]
1455835296640.jpg
21 KB, 654x200
>>80403822
>>
>>80403909
That's just the ongoings. There are minis they haven't fully announced yet. Expect them around October since that's when Prez v2 is starting.
>>
>>80403909
Well yeah.
They just had a bunch of c-z listers that sold like shit.
Didio and the wrtier confirmed Prez in October though, and Didio said they'll have some DCYou-like stuff later. So they're probably just getting more money and making people want different stuff.
>>
>batman beyond rebirth

bring back terry pls. this is what rebirth is all about and if they drop the ball with this, fuck them
>>
>>80403971
>>80403988
So what? These characters haven't been treated well in so long, and DC hasn't put out an exceptional straight-cape book since the New 52 launched.
>>
>>80404073
Read what you want, but I don't know what you're asking for at this point if the complain was blandness and you got confirmation that more is on the way.
>>
>>80404168
More is on the way is not a statement that negates the blandness of that lineup. Especially with the way DC treats its minis these days.
>>
>>80404230
What are you even talking about
>>
>>80404230
Well if you want encouragement with the current lineup, I could see some books being stealth weird like Superwoman. Hard to really know without the creative teams or premises. And it's probably safe to guess Gotham Academy will probably not go traditional cape anyway.
>>
>>80404230
But they actually did try pushing lesser known titles and they did't sell, and some of them had great writers. You can't blame the fact that to turn a profit they have to lean heavily on the Bat-Super lines, on DC thats either the decline of the industry, or more likely fans only wanting to see Batman punch things.
>>
>>80404320
>>80404361
The fact that they haven't announced the lineups and the titles that have been announced feature characters that have largely been terrible this decade does not bode well at all.
>>
>>80404459
I don't really know what you want people to say then. I don't think it's fully doom and gloom as announced and I've liked the more experimental books. Depends on creative teams though. I'm mostly worried about what the scheduling will do to art even if they have multiple pencillers on each book.
>>
>>80404459
>feature characters that have largely been terrible this decade does not bode well at all
They're the characters that sell unfortunately, and fans of them don't rally like change too much, look at the Dicks fans who refuse to read Grayson because not muh Nightwing.

I think this time they might try and tell good stories as they seem to have given up on messing with continuity. My advice try and go at it with an open mind they have a few good writers by the looks of it and Lobdell can only work on 2-3 books max.
>>
>>80404459
I think they are trying to fix some of the terrible by putting those talented DCYou writers on the big titles.

I mean, impossible to tell until something is announced, but it seems that way.
>>
So, how long do you guys think Rebirth was in the works? Some things seem kinda swift and sudden, like pulling SeeKing from Grayson, and other things seem like they were planning them since Convergence? How much time are we talking, six months? A week? How fast do comic companies usually work on preparing this stuff?
>>
So Rebirth is going to be making it more like Pre-Flashpoint, correct?

Do you think they'll push based Ray Palmer and Ryan Choi in their own comic together? Their book was one of the best Convergence titles, Atom's the MC of Legends, and it makes little sense to bring back Choi again to just put him back in limbo forever again.
>>
>inb4 Vril Dox II save the DC Universe
>>
>>80405280
They probably had some ideas on what they wanted to do but weren't sure how to go about them. I'm sure Johns has been itching to retcon some stuff, and I think he said a while ago he said Darkseid War was going to ramifications. But yeah some things like Seeley and King were pretty sudden, and Johns not being able to do the JL/JLA crossover or ROTSS. Like them on Grayson and King's stuff were well received so they choose them since they only had Johns and Snyder for big writers now.
>>
>>80397806
>Gotham Academy
Hell yeah! Can't wait for that.
>>
>>80405658
Not just pre-Flashpoint, but any more classic traits that they might want to throw in. Zero Hour and Infinite Crisis didn't bring in things only from a particular era.
>>
>>80405280
I think generally you have to go back to when DC announced the filler writers for B/S, Teen Titans, Aquaman, E2, etc. That was the first public sign something was up. Maybe around September when the DCYou failure seemed obvious they realized they needed to set up for the next thing.

And I still don't know how sudden Grayson really was. SeeKing have been talking as if they'll still be writing Dick, Tiger, etc after Rebirth. I just think that they probably thought they'd be able to write the bridging issues there, if anything.
>>
>>80403943
>It's supremely baffling and disheartening that they still haven't learned that creators, lineups, and continuity specificity are the things that should be spearheading a relaunch announcement.

Literally DCYou
>>
>only announcing teams like 9 days before issues are out
What the fuck? This seems like a really bad idea
>>
>>80408224
It says March not May
>>
>>80408224
They're announcing teams in March, the books start coming out in June

that's three months
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.