[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did it take DC so many decades to credit Bill Finger for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
Why did it take DC so many decades to credit Bill Finger for creating Batman?
>>
>>80393287
something something internal turmoil
>>
Kane was really good at milking what Finger did.
>>
>>80393287
Bob Kane and his estate worked tooth and nail to make sure he had the sole credit.
>>
File: fingerless-batman-poster-websize.jpg (378 KB, 1000x1518) Image search: [Google]
fingerless-batman-poster-websize.jpg
378 KB, 1000x1518
>>80393287
Bob Kane got an exceedingly lopsided contract from DC Comics because he lied and said he was under 18 when he created Batman. The contract states that he is the sole creator, even though he was employing people like Bill Finger and Jerry Robinson to do the bulk of the work on comics like Batman, putting his name on it at the end.

This was the official stance for years but recently Kane's descendants have allowed the restrictions to be loosened. Now it's "Batman created by Bob Kane, with Bill Finger." Don't know if Robinson is getting credit for the villains he helped with.
>>
Why did it take DC so many decades to still not acknowledge how both of them boldfaced ripped off The Shadow?
>>
How much did Bill Finger actually do?
How much did Bob Kane actually do?
>>
>>80393287
Like in actual credits?
They were under a contract not to. They literally couldn't and still can't say "and Bill Finger"
>>
>>80393391
Bill finger named and created bruce wayne, dick grayson james gordon,alfred pennyworth, selina kyle, and most of the rogues gallery as well as costume and character designs. He also created the bat cave and named gotham and wrote most the golden age batman and some of detective
Bob kane had the birdman idea, i dont know who switched it to batman, and more importantly hired finger
>>
>>80393581
Bob Kane sounds worse than Stan Lee. Poor Bill.
>>
Bob Kane is a massive asshole. Like, he makes Stan Lee look like Jesus.
>>
>>80393287
>So why does every Bat comic still include the credit "Created by Bob Kane"? In the 1940s, writer Jerry Siegel and artist Joe Shuster, the creators of Superman, were trying to get the rights to the character back from DC, and hoped to recruit Kane for a joint suit against the company. Faster than you can say, "Holy dick move, Batman," Kane allegedly ratted them out to DC, giving the company plenty of time to mount a legal defense, and scoring Kane a lot of points with DC.

>He cashed in those points to negotiate a better deal for himself, and his new contract included a provision that Kane would always and forever be credited as the sole creator of Batman.

So not only did he screw over his "collaborators", he managed to dick Siegel and Shuster in the process.
>>
>>80393608
Stan Lee's just an editor who took writing credits so he could make Marvel a stronger brand via unity in marketing.
>>
File: BobKane.jpg (253 KB, 676x400) Image search: [Google]
BobKane.jpg
253 KB, 676x400
Before anyone else posts it
>>
>>80394147
I don't think he just took all the credit without putting any work in himself. The dialogue and narration in the early Spider-Man and Fantastic Four comics were pretty recognizably him. Although we can certainly credit Dikto and Kirby with designs and general plot direction.
>>
>>80394160
I love it, it's amazing how fucking pretentious a gravestone can be
>>
>>80394328
Important visions from God:
Moses
Jesus
Constantine
Joan of Arc
Bob Kane
>>
>>80393377
I don't know if he got royalties for it but Robinson has been acknowledged as the creator of the Joker for decades.
>>
>>80393608
Bob Kane is what /co/ thinks Stan Lee is.
>>
>>80394147
He also took co-creation credits because he ok'd characters other people created, insisting that he was the driving creative force at conventions and in interviews didn't do shit for Marvel but it made him a shit load of money.
>>
Bob had gotten to the point where he never drew anything. Never drew anything on the Batman comics, anyway. [Sheldon] Moldoff was ghosting them all and when he didn’t, someone else did. The only thing I think Bob ever drew was when we’d be out somewhere, in a restaurant or someplace, and a pretty girl would come over to him and say, ‘Are you really the man who draws Batman?’ Then he could whip out a little sketch for her, a big sketch if she was wearing something low-cut and would bend over to watch him draw.

One day I’m over at his house to discuss this newspaper strip idea we had and he’s talking about who we might get to draw it. I was going to write it and we were going to get someone else to draw it. I’m not sure what Bob was going to do on it except sign his name. I said to him, 'Bob, isn’t it disappointing to you that you don’t draw any more? You were once such a great artist.’ He wasn’t but you had to talk to Bob that way.

He said, 'Oh, no. Let me show you something.’ He took me into a little room in his house. It was his studio. I didn’t even know he still had a studio. It was all set up with easels and things and there were paintings, paintings of clowns. You know the kind. Like the ones Red Skelton used to do. Just these insipid portraits of clowns, all signed very large, 'Bob Kane.’ He was so proud of them. He said, 'These are the paintings that are going to make me in the world of art. Batman was a big deal in one world and these paintings will soon be in every gallery in the world.’ He thought the Louvre was going to take down the Mona Lisa to put up his clown paintings. I didn’t have the heart to tell him.
>>
>>80395093
So a few months later, I’m up at DC and I ran into Eddie Herron. Eddie was another writer up there and we got to talking and Bob’s name came up. Eddie said, 'Did you hear? Bob’s getting sued by one of his ghost artists.’

I said, 'How is that possible? Shelly Moldoff’s suing Bob? But they had a clear deal. Shelly knew he wasn’t going to get credit or anything…’

Eddie said, 'No, not Shelly.’ Bob was being sued by the person who’d painted the clowns for him…
>>
>>80394991
Too bad he's working for Marvel now.
>>
>>80395204
Different Robinson entirely.
>>
>>80393377
I wasn't aware that the restrictions had been loosened at all- as far as I know, DC is contractually required to refer to Batman as the sole creation of Bob Kane for the rest of time.

>all hail based Steranko
>>
>>80395204
>The same guy who created The Joker in 1940 is currently working for Marvel

How old do you think he is?
>>
>>80395093
>>80395116
I need a source on this
>>
>>80394160

I want to piss on that grave.
>>
>>80395877
No, as of last year, it's created by Bob Kane with Bill Finger." Just look at any current Batman comic or BvS trailer credit screen.
>>
>>80396005
To be fair, the fact that Robinson works with golden age characters almost exclusively, I can see how someone would think he's extremely old.
>>
>>80397185
They didn't do it for the new Lego Justice League movie.
>>
>>80396120
Seconded
>>
>>80396120
>>80400046
I think it was Arnold Drake who said it.
>>
>>80396120
>>80400046
>>80401850
Here: http://www.newsfromme.com/2007/03/15/arnold/
>>
>>80393608
At least Bob Kane never fucked Jack Kirby's wife
>>
>>80395033
This.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.