[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Moral orel thread why was this show so great?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: the face of a cucked man.jpg (18 KB, 624x468) Image search: [Google]
the face of a cucked man.jpg
18 KB, 624x468
Moral orel thread
why was this show so great?
>>
because it was doomed
>>
Good writing.
>>
>>80385945
>when oral starts making his parents turn the other cheek
>>
First two seasons were way too heavy handed with their one dimensional "middle america fundamentalist christian" parody shtick. Although without those relatively tame, formulaic and lighthearted foundations it's unlikely the sudden pivot in the direction and tone of the show would have had the same impact.

I don't think the first two seasons (outside of the very end of season 2 with Nature) have much rewatchability.

Moral Orel most definitely handles the tragic drama in season 3 masterly. I think when you see side by side the way Orel handles conflict and drama next to a contemporary today like Bojack it makes the latter seem amateurish and silly. When Orel wants to do drama it goes full out on it. It doesn't pull punches by throwing in misplaced attempts at humor because they want you to be down in the pitiful heart-wrenching nadir of their lives with the character themselves. Bojack devotes more than half of every episode to throwing around bad puns are hamfisted attempts at jokes that when they try to go back to drama it doesn't have the same foundation.
>>
When I Morel Orel first came on television I would change the channel. I don't remember what got me into the show last year, but season 2 and 3 were a breath of fresh air as a lot of plot content was extremely relatable and somehow "different"...? The worst aspects of people heavily drove the narrative, while Orel was a perfect juxtaposition.

My favorite episode overall was when Rev and the girl went on a date. The ending really changed my perspective of life.
>>
>>80386151
You didn't like the Season 1 Christmas Special?

...Are you a faggot or something?
>>
>>80387353
What episode is that? Be Fruitful and Multiply?
>>
>>80386024
Man there isn't enough Irony in the world for that text to be with Harley Quinn.
>>
>>80387526
yes season 2 episode 10

I think I'll rewatch that episode now...
>>
Dino is a fucked up dude
>>
this show dragged you to the deepest most soul crushing pit. no alien menace or demonic threat could be scarier, because deep down you know those things just aren't real.
>>
>>80387590
>AS asked him to go full retard
>some episodes was too fucked up for AS that they had to halve the season
This is pretty much the next holy grail ever since the dexter swearing episode was shit
>>
>>80386151
season 1 and 2 focused on the christian parody gimick and they went full drama on the christmas special and the season 2 finale somehow stitching season 1 and 2 to give season 3 continuity.
>>
>>80387632

>some episodes

Actually, it was one episode: "Alone". The execs who were treated to a screening of that episode - an episode perfectly suited to the darker direction in which they'd asked Dino to take the show - cancelled Moral Orel on the spot after seeing that episode.
>>
>>80387540
What?
>>
>>80385920
It wasn't.
In my humble opinion, it tried too hard. Way too hard.
>>
>>80387675

>tried too hard

At what?
>>
>>80387716

That doesn't even make sense. Sure, it seems like a potshot at Christianity, but if you watch the entire show, it's more a deconstruction of moral hypocrisy that could be applied to any given religious group. The town's authority figures pay lip service to God while acting as if they're all Godly and great, and Moral buys into it until his innocence is shatted by the events of "Nature". None of the adults start being worthy of their positions as authority figures until after Season One - and some of them never earn that worthiness (notably Clay).
>>
>>80387755
it still was edgy
specially when they bathe in blood and actually have a fat man tip a fedora while eating junk food and whering a robe
>>
>>80387776

>it still was edgy

So? It was meant to be "edgy", as it was a parody of child-friendly sitcoms and Christian cartoons.

>actually have a fat man tip a fedora while eating junk food and whering a robe

...the fuck?
>>
>>80387776
>edgy
You don't know what that word means
>>
>>80387657
I believe the anon is remarking how the Harley Quinn character has become overexposed
>>
File: file.png (1009 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1009 KB, 1280x720
>>80387785
Yes not belibing in god and liking gore
>>80387784
>So? It was meant to be "edgy", as it was a parody of child-friendly sitcoms and Christian cartoons.
>its supposed to be bad so is ok that is bad
kill yourself

>...the fuck?
pic related
>>
>>80387776
It's not edgy, it's dark and mature
>>
>>80387821

>not belibing in god and liking gore

If you think that's all "edginess" is, you really don't know the meaning of the word.

>its supposed to be bad so is ok that is bad

Except it wasn't "bad". It just didn't work for you, and that's fine. It worked for a lot of other people, though - especially given the level of respect /co/ has for the show.

>kill yourself

Now THAT is tryhard edginess.
>>
>>80387853
Thats what edgy kids say
>>
>>80387857

No, they don't.

And yes, the show was dark (it started out as a parody and turned into a deconstruction of morality and hypocrisy) and explored what we'd refer to as "mature themes" (sexuality, abortion, religious hypocrisy, and arguably even child abuse). Dino didn't do this so the show would appeal to "edgelords", either, so calling the show "edgy" makes no goddamned sense.
>>
Season 3 is exactly what I want from fiction, and there is so little of it out there.
>>
>>80387948

Most fiction doesn't try to intentionally make people feel like shit and leave them depressed, so...sorry?
>>
i hate close face,it's forced,retarded and the song is shit
atleast we got some twincest out of it
>>
>>80388014

>it's forced,retarded

Explain plz.
>>
>>80388024
if she wanted to be taken seriously in a relationship she shouldn't kill the mood by acting stoned and mumbling ''hey closeface XDDD''
and then she told orel that he saw closeface in his twin sister
so they end up having incest kissing in public
and she keeps singing that stupid song
>>
>>80388047

>Orel
>twin sister

Except they're...not related? Christina was never meant to be confused for Orel's twin, either - she and her family were the Identical Stranger trope, and both Orel and Christina were innocent victims of the Protestant/Catholic schism that caused the Puppington and Posabule adults to truly hate each other.

>if she wanted to be taken seriously in a relationship she shouldn't kill the mood by acting stoned and mumbling ''hey closeface XDDD''

It's been a while since I've seen the actual episode; can someone translate this from Dumbass for me?
>>
>>80387948
I assume you've read all of Dickens's tragedies
>>
>>80387948
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2zvfqh
>>
>>80388047
Are you virgin or just fucking retarded? If you don't understand the sentiment of where 'closeface' comes from you've never been in love.

Orel doesn't have a twin sister and Stephanie was never high. The song might have been shitty, but it's a good representative of the shit quality high school creativity is limited to.

Stephanie and Kim were never in a relationship. The whole point of the episode was Stephanie making up for her past by giving Orel the opportunity to be together with his 'closeface', Christina.
>>
I liked it.

The best part though was the credits of the very last episode. When Orel put away his animation toys and camera in the box to give to his kids it was a perfect way to end the series.
>>
I liked how dark it got during season 3. It was like an exercise in misery.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.