[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was cyborg chosen to step up to the big leagues? If it was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
File: 1874050-dc_cyborg.jpg (40 KB, 357x600) Image search: [Google]
1874050-dc_cyborg.jpg
40 KB, 357x600
Why was cyborg chosen to step up to the big leagues? If it was because they wanted someone black why not go with Black Lightning or someone else?
>>
>>80334556
He's DC's most popular black guy thanks to the TT cartoon
>>
Literally because he's the most recognizeable black DC character and no other reason.

The other two contenders are John Stewart and Static. They couldn't use Stewart because they wanted to have Hal. Static is obviously a kid.

Sure, it makes more sense to a comic fan to use Black Lightning, especially since his expy was on the Super Friends, but New 52 JL was written as a movie pitch and there's no way they'd use anyone but THE most recognizeable black character since studios don't take chances.
>>
>>80334556
He serves the dual purpose of token black and teen/rookie POV character.
>>
To be fair, Cyborg also fills a thematic niche that is otherwise lacking in the main lineup currently. They ain't been doing shit with it, but it's there.
>>
>>80334556
Tech based powers are more important and relevant and since cyborg is right there and well known and brings in the kiddies cause of TT
might as well use him

since they have removed Aquaman anyway and made him a sort of part timer they should bring back martian

DC lacks telepaths
>>
>>80334556
Because Black Lightning's name is Black Lighting.
>>
>>80334556
Johns love him.
>>
He was in the JL in Smallville too
>>
AYO AYO HO UP YOU BE SAYIN WE SUPAHEROS N SHIIIET, CRACKA?

SHIIIIIIET, NOW I FINNA BE BUYIN DEM COMIC BOOKS
>>
>>80334556

He was in Superfriends, Teen Titans is the most popular DC cartoon save maybe for B:tAS, he appeared again in Smallville, and DC need a tech-suit superhero because themes and also contrasts with all the ones Marvel has, and he can be a kind of rookie/everyday character (just a regular high school kid who had his life turned upside down by an accident) as opposed to the big guns on the League.
>>
>>80334663
>Static is obviously a kid.
Comic Static is a year or two younger than Cyborg and Cyborg was 18 when he joined the JLA.

Static wasn't used becasue they were doing something else with the character. They used Cyborg because of Johns just like how Luke Cage was used because of Bendis
>>
>>80334894
The difference between 16 and 18 is pretty big. But Cyborg was 18 when he joined, which was five years BEFORE the Static Shock comic was set, so when Static is ~16 Cyborg is actually 23.
>>
>>80334556
Johns is a Hack.
>>
>>80334663
>The other two contenders are John Stewart and Static. They couldn't use Stewart because they wanted to have Hal.
Desh is trying to hang himself right about now.
>>
>>80334894
Your comparison is semi-accurate, but Johns' Luke Cage is Hal, which is why no Stewart, thus Cyborg. I don't think Johns is super attached to Vic. Also Johns is much better than Bendis and it irks me when people compare them.
>>
>>80334972
I wonder what kind of mass murder he'd commit if it turned out they were making Hal black in the JL movie.

>>80334994
Obviously I have no facts to back this up, but I feel like Johns only started to "like" Cyborg to keep up appearances because Lee, Didio and Harras had already decided Cyborg would be in the JL movie back when Green Lantern was coming out.

Don't we know he wasn't really a fan of NTT or even the Titans at all before he wrote his run? It just doesn't really make sense to me why he'd suddenly decide Cyborg was one of his favorite characters.
>>
>>80334709
>fills a thematic niche
Which is? Reluctant hero? Scientist?
>>
>>80334556
You know what they say...
>>
>>80335068
Would he be mad? I always figured people liked Stewart 'cause of his skin color. The only other reason I could think of would be Mosaic, and that would require a) reading comics, b) reading obscure comics, c) reading old, obscure comics
>>
>>80335068
>I wonder what kind of mass murder he'd commit if it turned out they were making Hal black in the JL movie.
Ha!
>>80335107
From what I learned from my lurking over there, it's because John's black, JLU and muh Mosaic.
>>
>>80335068
>making Hal black in the JL movie.
That would be hilarious

>>80335107
Nah this dude in particular really likes John
>>
Black lightening has a lot going against him. The name is......too on the nose and his powers are one note ill-fitting of a major leaguer. Cyborg was popular, unique (in that his powers and background weren't too similar to any other leaguer), and his powers felt like they befit a major leaguer
>>
Mr. Terrific would have been a good alternative, since he fills the same tech guy slot, and he had a book at the start of the new 52, but they probably went with Cyborg since he's more popular
>>
>>80335068
>Obviously I have no facts to back this up, but I feel like Johns only started to "like" Cyborg to keep up appearances because Lee, Didio and Harras had already decided Cyborg would be in the JL movie back when Green Lantern was coming out.

Johns put Cyborg on the league you filthy pleb.
Johns is the CCO, he knew that after the GL movie flopped Hal was in danger, John was in a really opular series, and was black. As CCO Johns knew that putting Cyborg in the league he was shielding Hal since there's no way they would hve 2 blacks in the league.
>>
>>80335133
Yeah, but he wasn't particularly great in JLU either. I'm a massive GLfag, but John was still my least favorite part of the core JLU team.
>>
>>80335107
>I always figured people liked Stewart 'cause of his skin color.

That and the DCAU.

Generally speaking though it seems most his 'fans' on the internet seem more obsessed with having Idris Elba as a superhero rather than any interest in John as a character.
>>
>>80335220

Yeah, you've never been on CBR. There Stewartfags, and I quote, refer to him as the breakout star of the cartoon, and make it sound like it was a success only because of him.
>>
>>80335220
Hey, just saying what Johnfags repeat. If it was up to me, Sinestro would cut off his head years ago.
>>80335275
>Generally speaking though it seems most his 'fans' on the internet seem more obsessed with having Idris Elba as a superhero rather than any interest in John as a character.
Tbh, Elba is go-to actor for black characters, from Steel to whoever the fuck else.
>>
>>80335219
Oh, it's you again.
>>
>>80335275
Cast Elba as Guy, problem solved
>>
>>80334556
Black Lightning's creator Tony Isabella has said for years that he had a special deal with DC editorial that he owned BL, but current DC ignored it & he's been kicking up a fuss about it for a while now. Pushing BL by putting him into the Nu52 movie pitch version JLA would probably been a PR/legal problem later. Also as others have said, Johns has a boner for Vic & they needed a tech/internet guy to shortcut the story. And you know...the not white thing.

I always liked Vic, he's great in Titans but its bugged me was the way DC went all in during the 52 launch to convince the non-comic media that not only is Cyborg an A-lister now, but he has ALWAYS been one.
>>
File: Geoff.png (708 KB, 508x1004) Image search: [Google]
Geoff.png
708 KB, 508x1004
>>80334556
>>
>>80335680
>angry orphan Batman
>angry king Aquaman
>angry marine John
>>
Because he's not white
Because he's well-known
Because he's a tech guy
Because of his mary sue tech abilities allow writing off of any situation
Because Batman being the tech guy doesnt make sense
Because being an alien = being a tech guy doesnt make sense
Because we live in tech age so tech guy is more important than ever
>>
>>80335079

The tech guy, the man who regrets his transformation into a superhero.
>>
>>80335860
B-but he serves as bus and they removed his dick so he couldn't hit on Diana!
At least that's what I read somewhere once.
>>
>>80335860
I wish one of those reasons was because unlike other JL members, he hits the showers.
>>
>>80335680
Look at that precious baby, I'd pick him too
>>
>>80335860
Batman was never the tech guy he's the ninja the works in the background that deals with earthly political shit conspiracy and often times comes up with the practical solution

Whole the others punch and kick
>>
>>80335860
>Because Batman being the tech guy doesnt make sense

Why? he pays and build most of the equipment.
>>
File: 1449341742384.jpg (75 KB, 563x600) Image search: [Google]
1449341742384.jpg
75 KB, 563x600
>MM is no longer in the justice league
>>
>>80335860
>mary sue

Oh for fuck's sake.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.