[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
There are so many comics to read. How do you tackle it in a way
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8
There are so many comics to read. How do you tackle it in a way that doesn't seem so overwhelming?
>>
>>80266969
I narrow it down to writers and artists I like
>>
File: Starlord Consider This.jpg (24 KB, 298x274) Image search: [Google]
Starlord Consider This.jpg
24 KB, 298x274
>>80266969
If you're just getting started, think of what genres you like or are interested in. Look for comics within that genre, then once you find something you really like, start working your way through the creative team's previous works.
>>
File: marvel vs dc alt.jpg (110 KB, 720x524) Image search: [Google]
marvel vs dc alt.jpg
110 KB, 720x524
I just read what I can like the dirty poorfag I am.
>>
If there's an indie title I'm interested in, I read it. If there's a capeshit character or title I'm interested in, I either pick up the current ongoing if reviews for it are reasonable or do a little research for it to find recommended trades.
>>
>>80266969
I have a backlog. It's pretty fucking big but comics are way faster to read that books, aside from a few exceptions here and there.
>>
>>80266969
>so many movies to watch
>so much music to listen to
>so many books to read
>so many sports to watch

And so on and so forth, just find whatever interests you and read/listen to/watch it.

Comics are overwhelming if you treat them like something you should experience entirely but any medium would be overwhelming if you take a completionist attitude.
>>
File: Blackboard.jpg (146 KB, 590x421) Image search: [Google]
Blackboard.jpg
146 KB, 590x421
1.Travel to the second closest Barnes & Noble
2. Go to the comic book shelf
3. Count all the letters in your name
4. Starting on the third comic from the left on the third shelf, count to the right every other comic the number of letter in your name with your finger.
5. Read about whatever series you landed on on Wikipedia
6. Type in "[That comic/comic character's name] free download" into Google
7. Download everything that comes up until you have all the comics listed on the WIkipedia article
8. Look up the inker of the last comic in that collection on Wikipedia and see what else they've inked
9. Look up the fifth comic they inked
10. Repeat steps five through nine until you've read every comic.
>>
File: IMG_8536[1].jpg (421 KB, 1600x1001) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8536[1].jpg
421 KB, 1600x1001
I just randomly pick things up at library
You can and should judge book by the cover and few last pages.
>>
>>80267538
No, that's retarded. Ignore this faggot.
>>
>>80266969
Just start reading something. The first thing I ever read was a random issue of silver age Flash, then I started reading Brubaker's Captain America run. Just download some shit and read it. Who fucking cares if you don't know ever minute detail of every character beforehand?
>>
>>80266969
I go for the trades.
>>
>>80266969

When I first started I just bummed whatever I could off of my friends and my roommate, then after reading through some different series, I found my LCS and asked for some recs based on what I liked from what I read.
>>
>>80267558

This, I pirated a shitload of stuff off of the Win-O thread and /co/ storytimes when I got into comics.
>>
>>80267229
>Flash vs wolverine
flash got this though he gets gut 1-3 times which is bullshit
>ironman vs cyborg
depends on the version of each really
>batman vs spider man
batman can't handle spider sense
>Cap vs Hal
Hal has all the tools to beat cap really easily. he would lose
>she-hulk vs supergirl
fun fight but super girl comes on top
>superman vs the hulk
depends on if superman knows about hulks whole thing either way the loser will get up right before the end of the battle
>wonerwoman vs phoenix
hard Hard HARD fight but wonder woman triumphs
>j'onn vs thor
earnestly have no idea
>>
>>80266969
Focus on a single character then expand to characters they interact with that you find interesting. That's how I started comics when starting Batman from the first issue.
>>
File: Backlog.png (78 KB, 983x661) Image search: [Google]
Backlog.png
78 KB, 983x661
>>80266969
I don't even know. I just download stuff that interest me but in the process I lost interest because the rippers/scanners don't put all pages into a folder and I have to create every issue folder manually
>>
>>80268015
I heard the speed force stays in DC. So he's not at full speed.
>>
Just read something that piques your interest. Like Superman? Read something like Last Don of Krypton or All Star. Like Spider-Man? Read Death of the Stacys or Blue. Go with the landmark stories. Like movies? Read a Robocop comic or an Evil Dead comic. Just start and go at your own pace.
>>
>>80266969
Make a list. Go down the list at your leisure. When you find something new you want to read, put it on the list. Skip around if you feel like. It really doesn't matter too much.
>>
>>80267512
but then you'll just read the works of one inker
>>
>>80267229

it should be cap vs batman
>>
>>80270958
Only if the one inker inked everything on every series they worked on.
>>
>>80268607
I assumed this was happening in the DC universe since hes not wearing his speed harness but I guess it could be some multiverse half way thing
>>
>>80266969

I only read comics I like, so I pick up a half-dozen or less a week. I live off of takeout food, so I read them while my food is being prepared. The timing usually matches up pretty well.
>>
>>80266969
Organization helps
If ya download or buy enough of a certain company's comic, organize that shit week by week.

And just in general it is a great way to keep up with older or larger stuff in your files.

IDK past that. Maybe get a tablet so portability makes reading comics more convenient and easy for anywhere anytime so you don't feel like you have to go to a certain place or only read at a certain time that a computer or laptop or even physical copies might have.
>>
>>80267229
Who is Iron Man aiming at?
I mean cyborg is right in front of him, but his arm and his pose makes it almost seem like he's pointing to someone in the background instead.
>>
File: 1450678574265.gif (53 KB, 828x472) Image search: [Google]
1450678574265.gif
53 KB, 828x472
just watch the condensed OVA version like what they do with mangas
>>
File: 1455736321916.jpg (133 KB, 728x636) Image search: [Google]
1455736321916.jpg
133 KB, 728x636
>Wanna start reading Guardians of the Galaxy comics
>Look up their comics
>Leads me to chart of Cosmic Marvel and Annihilation
>mfw
>>
Honestly, it depends.

If you're interested in a standalone series (true "graphic novels" and things released by Image/Vertigo/etc.), then you can just pick something interesting and read it. Read it in one go if you can, or do it in chunks. Here, it's obvious that reading on a "monthly" format (i.e. read all the issues from May 2015, then the ones from June 2015, then July, then August, and so on) is silliness because they don't/shouldn't affect each other.

If a series is in a shared universe, you're best off finding a particularly interesting run, and then reading it like a standalone series. "But what about crossovers/events?" In general, they don't matter. Read the crossover if you're interested, but otherwise, treat the crossover as its own "run".

If you're brand new to comics, you'll probably need to read a lot before you truly understand the importance of "you don't need to read everything; don't waste your time/money with crappy runs." Like, seriously: if a series only has a run of 3-4 decent issues and 26-27 horribly bad ones, then just read the good issues and ignore the bad ones.
>>
test
>>
>>80277008
Just look up DnA GotG, that's really all you need.
>>
>>80278943
Fuck you. He'd be missing out on a ton of good stuff. Read everything on that chart aside from Annihilators, which just sucks.
>>
>>80279021
>Fuck you. He'd be missing out on a ton of good stuff.
I'm not saying it's not good, but fuck you man, some people can only read so much. If the guy only has enough time for one run it might as well be that.
>>
>>80277008
Its really not that much
>>
>>80268015
>batman can't handle spider sense
But can Spiderman hand bat bullshit throwing at him?
>>
http://youtu.be/wunNa04W0sE

http://youtu.be/_ptyi3dtmXc
>>
>>80268015
>j'onn vs. thor
>earnestly have no idea
>guy whose entire weakness is fire vs. a guy who casts lightning effortlessly
gee

>>80279103
Yes. Spider-Sense.
>>
>>80266969
I don't. I have a huge backlog and I don't think I'll get through it ever.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.