[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Discuss.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7
File: nsc9.png (6 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
nsc9.png
6 KB, 640x480
Discuss.
>>
>>79815192
Because they aren't getting paid to draw it.
>>
because a lot of people can like something and not all of them are good at drawing
>>
Because if you were a good artist you'd be working instead of making fan art.
>>
>>79815192
>fan
>>
>>79815192
because instead of actually trying to create fictional offshoot of their subject, they whore their skills out to fetishist for money or recognition.

the amount of character-killing fanart that the autistic /co/ckmunchers post here makes me die a little inside.
>>
Because most of it are from young kids who don't know how to draw.
>>
There's no skill filter on the internet.
>>
impatient artist
>>
Holy shit you are uncreative. I don't think you should be criticizing anyone's artistic ability when, with a subject as wide open as "bad fan art" the only thing you could think to put as your OP's image is the text you didn't put in your post.
>>
We already had one DA thread that got taken down today.
>>
*Poor-to-nonexistent drawing skills
*Making the characters/franchise into something completely foreign to what they're supposed to be
*Terrible fetish-pushing

And those are just the biggest problems.
>>
You could ask, "Why is most people's 'art' from their kids that they put up on their refrigerator so godawful?" and it would be the EXACT same question because that is LITERALLY what most fan art is.

It's actually more amazing that some of it is okay, good, or great,

Don't be retarded.
>>
File: cute.jpg (125 KB, 900x696) Image search: [Google]
cute.jpg
125 KB, 900x696
There are more people who are terrible at drawing than there are people who are not-terrible at drawing.
>>
File: Scan_20150514.png (359 KB, 772x659) Image search: [Google]
Scan_20150514.png
359 KB, 772x659
>>79815192
Good ones are getting paid. Free ones are those practicing skill. The shitty ones are undoubtedly those practicing unless they're the types who consistently put out shitty art without heeding constructive criticism of those critiquing their art and refuse to improve. Or they're not artists at all and really like an idea that they throw up an MS paint picture onto DA and share it with fellow like-minded folks.
I am the latter.
shameless promotingMy art was utter garbage traced shit before I learned how to do shit myself over several years (not dedicated and inconsistent times in drawing) and I think I've improved awesomely over the last 4 years. Still got a fucking long way to go but I'm learning. Pic related is my latest which was drawn something like 8 months ago.
>>
>>79816044
I agree. I'm getting better, a lot better than I used to be and I'm trying poses that I would have been too intimidated to try at one time.
>>
>>79816250
I still can't do humans, but I use the posemaniacs website for practice. That pic was just trial and error and I fucking got it. Fucked up some other shit like the snout but I'm so proud of it because it's the best thing I've done to date.
>>
>>79815192

At least part of it is due to half the goddamn Internet having standards so low that it'll hail some godawful fanart from DA as "the pinnacle of awesomeness". I speak from experience here; plenty of furries like art that is mostly godawful. (Lookin' at you, Greg Panovich fans.)
>>
Alright OP, lets see your art
>>
File: 1079764.jpg (35 KB, 323x500) Image search: [Google]
1079764.jpg
35 KB, 323x500
>>79815192
Cult of the Amateur.
>>
Gee OP I wonder why amateurs could be worse than professionals. What a conundrum.
>>
because when you start to get good you realize that most people won't want to give you money for anything

so either you get an art job or work your ass off. only a few do the latter
>>
>>79815192
most art is godawful
>>
>>79815192
Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crap.
>>
I hate autistic crossovers myself.
>>
>>79815409
Whoa, spot on deviantart-commentor impression
>>
The biggest reason? People suck at cartooning. Cartooning is about characters, stories, gags, and dialog NOT terrible pinup art of Gadget Hackwrench.

I wouldn't mind fanart if it were done in comic format or had some sense of humor/wit or at least tried to replicate the show's style. Unfortunately most of it doesn't.
>>
File: 1407475095274.jpg (77 KB, 422x600) Image search: [Google]
1407475095274.jpg
77 KB, 422x600
>>79816416
I've never seen a more pretentious book cover and honestly probably never will unless this gets a sequel
>>
>>79815192
Because most fanart isn't done by artists.
>>
>>79815192
Sturgeon's Law.
>>
File: boldandbrash.jpg (75 KB, 401x368) Image search: [Google]
boldandbrash.jpg
75 KB, 401x368
>>79815192
It's not too common among actual professional artists outside of the occasional pastiche. The bulk of it is coming from middleschool girls who never really learned anatomy and just put out whatever they make instead of practicing until presentability.

It doesn't have the same inspiration that other things have; instead of wanting to *create* something, you merely want to imitate something you've already seen.

It's often a means of "validating" one's own personal fantasies, meaning that the pleasure it brings is derived from its mere existence rather than its quality. Because it's so often based around the artist's weird psuedo-fetishizations, its very existence makes it likable to the artist as opposed to its quality (or lack thereof).
>>
>>79817305
I honestly think most of the time, the artist is just interested in fetish/waifu shit, not cartooning.
>>
>>79817515
Well duh, I know that. I mean they're too inept to incorporate their fetish shit into an actual comic/cartoon format with dialog, humor, whatever.
>>
IDK; artists suck or something.
>>
>>79816918
But the 10% is worth sticking around for
>>
>>79815192
Because you touch yourself in wrong places.
>>
>>79818986
Like my pancreas?
>>
>>79815192
Because the majority of fanart is either shitty Sonic recolors or fetish garbage?
>>
Only on-model fanart should be allowed

Hell, only professionals should be allowed to draw at all
>>
>>79819600
>Only on-model fanart should be allowed

^This. If you can't draw the characters in their original style, you can't draw them.
>>
>>79815192
But OP, 90% of something is crap.
>>
>>79820739
>wanting to draw Simpsons, FOP, or MacFarlane characters in their original butt-ugly style
costanza.jpg
>>
Because its drawn by amateurs. This might be the most pointless question I've ever seen.
>>
>>79819444
/thread
>>
>>79815234
/thread
>>
>>79815192
1. Fanservice
2. No anatomy
3. No practise
>>
>>79821230
FOP isn't bad of a style, what are you even talking about? It's one of the few modern cartoons that uses hourglass figures.
You could use an example that actually applies, such as modern CalArts like AT, SU, Clarence, or new PPG, where the characters have bland and inoffensive figures.
>>
>>79819600
Yeah and we should drive people wo whitewash or slim down chubby characters to suicide!
>>
File: 1455279458642.png (811 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
1455279458642.png
811 KB, 1440x810
>>79823012
Since when fanservice is bad? What the fuck is wrong with this board?
>>
>>79823507
>Since when fanservice is bad?
Well, pandering is always bad according to /co/.

And fanservice is just another word for pandering.
>>
>>79823525
Yeah I draw FA to pander to tumblr. It's not that I actually like the shows or anything, b-baka!
>>
>>79815192

Because it's something a lot of starting artists do to keep themselves motivated.

And really good artists tend to get paid well for their work, and that tends to be original, so they don't have time to do fanart.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.