[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
'Starfire' ending at #12 confirmed.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 209
Thread images: 31
File: starfirecover.jpg (735 KB, 1031x1566) Image search: [Google]
starfirecover.jpg
735 KB, 1031x1566
http://comicsalliance.com/palmiotti-conner-starfire-cancellation-interview/

>Jimmy Palmiotti: When we were offered Starfire over a year ago, Amanda and I committed to 12 issues total, nothing more and nothing less, and with the series ending with us. We worked out the year in advance, and now we are writing the last couple of issues. Nothing has changed for us on any level. What they’ll do with the character after us is in the hands of the people at DC Comics and we are good with whatever they choose.

>We look at the series as spending time with a character we love, and hope that our version will continue in the books after. We did the same with our Power Girl series years ago. Again, that too was our choice. We feel a year on a title gives the reader what they want, and in the end a nice trade collection. Us ending on #12 had nothing to do with any re-launch or anything else going on in the DCU.

>If we wanted to stay on for another six issues, we could have, but we have another project we are doing that will be announced later in the year right after this. That said, we love the character and, like any character we spend time with, they are bound to show up in another book of ours in the future.

>Amanda Conner: Yes, most of the time I have about six to twelve issues of ideas in me, so that’s what I try to commit to. That said, now that we’re nearing twelve issues, we really love Kori’s character, and the series ending doesn’t mean you won’t see Starfire pop up in other places!
>>
I remember a time when people worked on comics for hundreds of issues...
>>
>>79768484

Of course, DC could always decide to continue the series with a new creative team after Palmiotti/Conner abandon ship, like they did with Power Girl. And it could end up sucking eggs, like what happened with Power Girl. But with Rebirth timed for approximately the same time as Starfire's first-year end that seems doubtful?
>>
>>79768484
>doesn’t mean you won’t see Starfire pop up in other places!
Titans book confirmed
>>
>>79768484
>>ComicsAlliance: In the past couple weeks, there has been some speculation about Starfire’s future, including rumors of the series ending and Starfire moving to another series. Right off the bat, can you tell us about the state of the book going forward?

continued:
>CA: Well, it’s good to hear that you’re leaving on your own terms, but it’s still disappointing to hear your run is ending. But let’s talk about the book — nine issues are out and three to go. The focus and design of Starfire as a character has changed since her start in the New 52. How important has the art and color work been in keeping the right tone for the series?

>JP: I like to think that the books Amanda and I work on stand out as something different than a lot of titles out there. Two things that give us this look are the incredible artists involved.

>With Starfire, we were given a gift having Emanuela Lupacchino and Ray McCarthy on board for eight issues, and having Elsa Charretier stepping in to finish the series out. The consistent factor that ties the look, feel, and mood of the series is the amazing color work from the Hi-Fi crew. They really set the tone of the series from issue #1 and we are so happy and proud to be working with them.

>AC: When we thought of how we wanted to handle Kori, we wanted to give a big nod to when Marv Wolfman and George Pérez created her. We also love the Teen Titans Go animated series, so we wanted to bring in a little bit of that flavor in her character. Emanuella, Elsa, and the Hi-Fi guys have done a fantastic job of bringing that to life.
>>
>>79768484
>hope that our version will continue in the books after.
NOOOOOOO

Will we ever get a good Starfire again? Because she has been painful ever since New 52
>>
>>79768516

Winnick's Power Girl was entirely decent.
>>
File: 58708365.jpg (25 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
58708365.jpg
25 KB, 400x400
>>79768484
...well, fuck.
>>
>>79768527
>CA: Let’s talk a little about the supporting cast. Most of Starfire’s side characters are brand new, but Atlee is one of the established characters from your earlier DC work. How did that character choice come about, and what is it about the character makes her a good fit for Kori’s circle of friends?

>AC: I think Atlee is a great complement to Kori, and when you look at Atlee in the Power Girl series, you can see that she was new to our world, and smart, but slightly naïve in the ways of our society. Power Girl sort of mentored her, and showed her how things work in our world. Now, Kori is the one who’s new to our world, and Atlee, with the help of Stella, is showing Kori the workings of our culture.

>JP: We love Atlee and, I have to be honest, she will always appear in our DC work at one time or another because we feel she is a unique character in so many ways.

>CA: One of the more appealing things about the book is the focus on female relationships, particularly the growing friendship between Kori, Atlee, and local sheriff Stella. What is your approach when writing the trio, especially with the next arc featuring their vacation together at Atlee’s home?

>AC: It’s one of the aspects of character development that I find so fascinating and so much fun… What our favorite superheroes (and non-superheroes) are up to when they’re not battling the bad guys. And, when they are battling the bad guys, we can show how they work so well together. No matter how powerful you are, or the magnitude of the things you’re able to accomplish, it’s always a hundred times better if you’re able to share it with friends and those you love. I think that’s how things work in real life, too.
>>
>>79768504

>original Suicide Squd is 60 issues and that was cut short

I hate television pilot comics.
>>
>>79768538
>JP: For me, beyond the super powers and such, the appeal of their characters is taking three completely different people with different backgrounds and finding out that they all have a common ground together. I think as a reader, we can relate to each of them and their sense of discovery with the world around them. I always find that kind of story very appealing to write.

>CA: Amanda, you draw the main Starfire covers, as well as co-write the book. Does writing the book give you a different perspective on how you approach the covers? How much fun is it to draw Kori being adorable?

>AC: One of the things I’ve discovered about writing is that it really makes me miss drawing! My favorite thing is to draw interiors, but since we are juggling so much work, I don’t have as much time to do that, so doing covers keeps me really happy in the meantime.

>And I love drawing Kori being her adorable self. One of the things that I always want to make sure comes through in a cover is a character’s distinct personality. I always hope that comes across in the cover art.

>CA: In the last few issues, Kori has started going on dates and getting romantic with Stella’s brother, Sol. Did you always have him in mind as one of Kori’s love interests?

>AC: Yes, in the beginning Sol was a very emotionally pained person, due to the loss of his fiancé a couple of years earlier, and he had built a wall around his feelings. We wanted to show how Kori’s playfulness and way of looking at the world with new eyes, along with her incredible toughness, brings him out of his shell and allows him to open up his emotions again.
>>
File: harleysgang1[1].jpg (871 KB, 1031x1566) Image search: [Google]
harleysgang1[1].jpg
871 KB, 1031x1566
>>79768549

>CA: You’re also co-writing Harley Quinn, whose title character has ongoing romantic relationships with a girlfriend and boyfriend. We know that Kori views love and sexuality in a very open way. While Starfire is pursuing a relationship with a man at the moment, did you consider having her pursue romance with other genders?

>JP: These characters are so much more than the romantic choices they make, and our responsibility in a series is to get to know them on many different levels. While it is true Kori has a very hedonistic way about her, in our book she has an attraction to the beauty of everything and everyone. Dick was a former romantic liaison that showed up again in her life, and Sol is someone she is interested in romantically at the moment, but a lot of things will be changing and happening in the last four issues, so what I will say without ruining any surprises is to stay tuned.

>AC: Starfire would pursue romance with anyone she finds full of beauty and life… She’s a total romance pursuer! She’s in love with love.

>CA: Readers got to see Dick Grayson take a trip to the Keys and meet up with Kori in Starfire #7 and #8 — can we expect more familiar faces that might show up in the book? Anything else you can tease about the upcoming arc?

>JP: The last four issues have so much going on, from the visit to Atlee’s city, to a liberation of a friend and the usual fun and romance we have been peppering the series with since day one. We plan to go out in a big way with this book and if you know us, it doesn’t always mean its gonna be an explosion.

>AC: Maaayybe!

Pic related: Harley Quinn And Her Gang of Harley’s #2 cover by Amanda Conner and Paul Mounts
>>
File: Starfire_nightwing.jpg (461 KB, 722x960) Image search: [Google]
Starfire_nightwing.jpg
461 KB, 722x960
>>79768516
Yeah, seems a little convenient they don't seem to run out of ideas for Harley Quinn.

>>79768524
I'm basically certain we're getting a Titans book with Starfire for Rebirth. I'll be very surprised if it isn't the same lineup as that new animated movie, and if Cyborg doesn't get cancelled and moved to this.

>>79768528
Faggot.
>>
are solicits next week? they'll start revealing their new shit soon then
>>
>>79768568
>Cyborg doesn't get cancelled and moved to this.
David Walker is off Cyborg so that's very likely.
>>
My DC pull-list is going to take a hit starting with June, pretty sure all the ongoings I'm reading will end.

Hopefully they'll give us some more good books after, would be a shame if they cancelled all these good books for shit ones.
>>
>>79768580
Yes. Also Omega Men ending at #12 is the writer's decision.
>>
>>79768568
No fuck you, the comic is shit, dropped it 4 issues in. Not as bad as the drug addict story from Outlaws though. Kinda gave up on the new 52 for a while because of that
>>
>>79768568
>and if Cyborg doesn't get cancelled and moved to this.

>they cancel Starfire, Cyborg, and Grayson so they can be on Titans
>also it's written by SeeKing

How would you feel /co/?
>>
>>79768532

It discarded everything the previous creative team was trying to accomplish, replaced the supporting cast with an author self-insert OC, and became just another event tie-in book.
>>
>>79768484
Oh great, they included Dick on that image. Cool.

Also, I actually wasn't expecting this to end already. Well, Rebirth rumours said it would, but I was still thinking this book would last in some form. I guess she really is going to be on the new Titans book.

I wonder what the hell is going to happen to Midnighter, though.
>>
>>79768637
>I wonder what the hell is going to happen to Midnighter, though.
It's selling like shit and he's usually on a team book
>>
>>79768613
>It discarded everything the previous creative team was trying to accomplish

You mean boob jokes?

>replaced the supporting cast with an author self-insert OC

It wasn't much of a supporting cast to be honest. And wouldn't have worked for the more serious, less wacky tone Winnick was going for.

>and became just another event tie-in book.

Beyond the weak conclusion, it worked as a decent tie-in book and the few issues that were completely stand alone were plenty of fun, like the magic parasite douchebag two parter.
>>
>>79768580
Yeah they should be Monday

I hope we get some announcements today or tomorrow though
>>
>>79768610
A Titans book is far from what I'd want, but if they put good writers on it (like SeeKing), I'd feel a little better about it, yeah.
>>
This is your fault, /co/.
>>
>>79768645
Exactly my point. Where is he going? Stormwatch didn't really work last time.

Also, DC will probably try to get at least one gay character (I don't think bi characters are really talked about by DC at all... then again, their marketing is shit and they barely ever talk about anything progressive that they try to do) their own solo, for brownie points, so we may see Batwoman again.
>>
>>79768717
>I don't think bi characters are really talked about by DC at all
Harley Quinn.
>their marketing is shit and they barely ever talk about anything progressive that they try to do
Fuck off, Alonso.
>>
>>79768717
We'll probably find out soon enough, but Orlando said that we'll see him in some "unexpected places", so I doubt it's Stormwatch. That would not be unexpected.
>>
>>79768717
Yeah and Titans never work yet they keep trying with that.
A Stormwatch/Authority is the only place Middy can go, unless there's a Midnighter/Apollo mini or something.
>>
>>79768717
>don't think bi characters are really talked about by DC at all...
Except for Catwoman, Constantine and Harley Quinn I guess
>>
>>79768484

It's weird, but I guess the premise didn't really have much to it to go beyond 12 issues. It was basically Power Girl 2.0, the same type of jokes and plots.

Hope to see Gray and Palmiotti doing something serious and long-form again tho. All-Star Western was their best work and it was totally different from PG/Starfire/Harley Quinn.
>>
File: 1418128953397 - Copy.png (734 KB, 1280x1745) Image search: [Google]
1418128953397 - Copy.png
734 KB, 1280x1745
>>79768582
I didn't even know that, there's no way that book is surviving.

>>79768610
I couldn't possibly be more over NTT retreads but I understand DC needs people to read the book, Go is popular, etc.

And really I'm gonna read anything King is on, so that's a given.

I feel like King, being as big a Dick fan as me, probably wouldn't want to make them all go back to being Titans, but that makes me think he'd actually do something interesting with them then.
>>
>>79768903
I doubt King will be on Titans, all signs point to him taking over Batman right now.

It's possible that Seeley will be on Titans though.
>>
File: take_my_money.jpg (24 KB, 363x331) Image search: [Google]
take_my_money.jpg
24 KB, 363x331
>>79768935
>Seeley on Titans
>>
File: 1454962803638.png (1 MB, 1172x645) Image search: [Google]
1454962803638.png
1 MB, 1172x645
>>79768559
>You’re also co-writing Harley Quinn, whose title character has ongoing romantic relationships with a girlfriend and boyfriend
> whose title character has ongoing romantic relationships with a girlfriend and boyfriend
>ongoing romantic relationships with a girlfriend and boyfriend
>and boyfriend
>boyfriend
>>
>>79768945
>wasting Seeley on Titans
Anon, pls. Titans is a cursed franchise. There's no writer in the industry capable of making a good Titans ongoing. The best they can hope for is for it to be OK enough that it doesn't ruin their career.

Just let Lobdell write Titans for the rest of time. Sure it'll be bad, but at least we won't get stuck pretending like there's a chance it could be good because that path just leads to nonstop, unending disappointment.
>>
>>79768995
What are you REEEEE-ing? Harley is bi.
>>
>>79768995
Why do you homos hate bisexuals?

>>79769006
Nice company war, bro.
>>
>>79769024
>company war
Are you retarded?
>>
>>79769020
The boyfriend part. Harley is Ivy's gal and Ivy alone. Mason doesn't have anything to do with Harley

>>79769024
I am not a homo. I am just a person that love his OTP way too much
>>
>>79769051
>wanting a DC book to fail
>not a company war
>>
>>79769024
>Nice company war, bro.
How was my post in any way "company war."
>>
File: you must be new here.jpg (38 KB, 252x220) Image search: [Google]
you must be new here.jpg
38 KB, 252x220
>>79769055
>visits 4chan
>not a homo

>>79769074
>>79769069
>>
>>79769055
>and Ivy alone
But they're in an open relationship.
>>
People should stop hiring Conner for a while her art is stale. It was good with power girl but now all she does looks like Powergirl with a wig
>>
>>79769055
You might not be a homo, but you sure are a faggot for sperging about "muh OTPs".
>>
>>79769095
She doesn't draw issues anymore, only covers.
>not liking her art
Erica pls
>>
File: 1449769394940.png (128 KB, 313x229) Image search: [Google]
1449769394940.png
128 KB, 313x229
>>79769101
>>
>>79769089
And that what's wrong. Both of them shouldn't be in a open relationship. That shit doesn't work and will never work
>>
>>79769223
Look at this prude.
>>
>>79769246
Call me old-timer but I think open relationships is what is destroying Worldwide society
>>
>>79769358
>being this old
>still visiting 4chan
>still reading comics
>>
>>79769451
But anon I am just 20 years old
>>
File: 1448877112511.jpg (2 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
1448877112511.jpg
2 MB, 1988x3056
>>79768484
That's what you get for drawing Starfire with pupils.
>>
>>79768524
Or you know she is going back to Red Hood
>>
>>79769480
>20 years old
>his ideology already ruining his youth
Oh well.
>>
>>79768806
He's not wrong, DC's marketing IS shit.
>>
>>79768484

I want to rub Starfire's big rigid cock after reading this run.
>>
>>79769483
This was funny. Buying.

>>79769512
>they don't pander to tumblr? What a shit marketing!
>>
>>79769223
I don't know, I think Tech Jacket was kinda justified in that. Granted, he never tried butt stuff, which makes him a dummy, but still.
>>
>>79769526
Letting people know what is in your books, especially people who might be interested in those books, isn't pandering. It's smart.
>>
>>79769526
Yes, precisely, it's shit marketing. Look at how popular and talked about Marvel's "progressive" books are compared to DC's. Sometimes you gotta sell your soul to the Devil to survive.
>>
>>79769549
Yeah, that's why you love Marvel so much...
>>
>>79769549
>>79769560
>marketing = quality
The birth of a new maymay.
>>
>>79769582
>marketing = sales
Which is what DC desperately needs.
>>
>>79769609
>trust me, I'm an expert
More like a companywarmonger.
>>
>>79769024
My belief is that bi folks are just the gay equivalent of straight guys who like traps/futa.
>>
>>79769636
Protip: bisexuals like men, women, and traps.
>>
>>79769617
Why are you so desperate to believe DC can do no wrong? Honest question.
>>
>>79769665
Why are you so desperately hating on DC? Honest question.
>>
>>79769653
Even straight men loves traps.
>>
>>79769680
Including that old prude who says he's 20 so girls pay attention to him.
>>
>>79769673
I'm not hating on DC, I'm pointing out one of their shortcomings. I fucking love DC, I grew up reading them and it pains me to see them where they are now sales-wise. I don't want my favorite capeshit company to do badly.
>>
File: 1449616978744.png (272 KB, 500x583) Image search: [Google]
1449616978744.png
272 KB, 500x583
>>79769483
I think Starfire with pupils and straight hair is blasphemy but fuck me if Lupa didn't make it accetpable.
>>
>>79769702
>I fucking love DC
Says every DC hater. Yawn.

And if you're so good at solving financial problems, I don't know why you aren't working for DC.
>>
>>79769560
What, you mean like Thor? Thor sells because it's Thor you moron. Their marketing is shit, just look at Captain Marvel they've been shilling that for years and it's still not selling.
>>
>>79769721
B-but muh progressiveness! Muh future movies!
>>
>>79769719
OK, you seem pretty desperate to paint me as a DC hater instead of trying to have a real adult discussion. I think we're done here. Enjoy your circlejerk.
>>
File: 1451663276775.jpg (21 KB, 480x367) Image search: [Google]
1451663276775.jpg
21 KB, 480x367
>>79769694
Hey that just rude
>>
>>79769653
Yes, what I'm saying is that everyone is bi to some degree so having "bisexual representation" as something distinct from "gay representation" is redundant
>>
>>79769742
>NO U
Fine, keep solving DC problems from your basement. Sheesh.
>>
>>79768528
What you don't like slightly retarded slut starfire? Or even more retarded slightly less slut starfire
>>
>>79768902
Gray had nothing to do with Harley Quinn or Starfire. He only worked on the HQ/Peej mini.
>>
We'll never get another sexy Starfire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bgfpE9wzSg#t=40s
>>
>>79768995
Start flapping your hands too bro. Harley is bi.
>>
File: 1451628364817.jpg (326 KB, 504x483) Image search: [Google]
1451628364817.jpg
326 KB, 504x483
>>79770549
>Harley is bi.
>>
>>79770695
>not even bis want to bed me!
>>
>>79769711
I never read this run. How's Dick there if he's currently secret agent man? Or is this the "story > continuity?"
>>
>>79770831
Fanart, son.
>>
>>79770831
Nig, that's obviously fan-art.
>>
>>79768528
She's been painful long before that.
>>
>>79770695
The second she started going for Ivy she was bi.
>>
>>79768484
>with the series ending with
God dammit
>>
>>79768528
Space captain Star is better than bubbly IT IS "THE FUN" ^O^ bimbo Star, end of
>>
>>79770831
Well that's fanart but if you mean Connerfire in general, they've had plenty of excuses to have Dick crossover with like every other series, usually just "well Dick is on a mission in [city] and coincedentally comes across [character]". He's been in Starfire, Batgirl, Batman, Batman Eternal/Robin War, Batman/Superman, Action Comics, and more.

I'm just a sucker for Dickfire, even if it is toonshit.
>>
File: Hilarious.gif (3 MB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
Hilarious.gif
3 MB, 256x192
>>79768595
>Also Omega Men ending at #12 is the writer's decision.
Yeah, right.
>>
File: Starfire51.jpg (728 KB, 1320x2048) Image search: [Google]
Starfire51.jpg
728 KB, 1320x2048
>>79771484
Maybe if you like Lobdell's superficial 90s cool bullshit.
>>
Want sales? Make her go back to Slutfire. And maybe make her a nudist. And drawn by Frank Cho. Or Terry Dodson.
>>
>>79772374
I don't think sales are the problem considering it's still outselling Red Hood/Arsenal AND what RHatO was selling.
>>
>>79771779
Nobody wants to write for no audience.
>>
>>79772374
Lupacchino's Starfire is second to no one's.
>>
Bummer. I liked this run of Starfire. It was a silly book with pretty cute art. I hope they keep her somewhat the same in where she's going.
>>
File: 1455058474295.jpg (20 KB, 554x370) Image search: [Google]
1455058474295.jpg
20 KB, 554x370
>palmiotti being a hack

News at 10
>>
>>79771779
it is stupid. The book was going to end at 8 but fans pushed back to allow it to have it's original 12 issue.
>>
>>79772374
>Slutfire
It's always so easy to tell who's actually read starfire and who just watched her on the cartoon.
>>
>>79773107
>fans pushed back
How did they do that? The fans certainly didn't buy more comics.
>>
>>79773224
There was a push on twitter and it led to Didio granting it the full 12 issue release.
>>
>>79773224
Didio promised that all the DCYou books would get a minimum of 12 issues. After they cancelled Omega Men at 7, everyone went on twitter and started blasting Didio for being a lieing shit. Then Didio said "You're right. We did promise 12 issues so it'll get 12 issues." and uncancelled it.

Worth noting that there were other DCYou books that were promised to get 12 issues that got cancelled at ~6, but since people didn't get all indignant on twitter over them, they stayed cancelled.
>>
File: 8300328_f520.jpg (62 KB, 520x490) Image search: [Google]
8300328_f520.jpg
62 KB, 520x490
>>79768484
The last shit from new 52

this is the real starfire
>>
>>79768484
That's unfortunate. I'm not a fan of this run, but I'm always in favor of DC trying out new things and expanding their universe. Cancelling solos and throwing characters back onto old teams like Titans or Birds of Prey seems the opposite of that.
>>
This is why DC is losing all the battles. Because they're too afraid to commit to smaller characters in order to increase their popular roster and they always resort back to Batman-pandering.

They should've kept going with Starfire even if it doesn't sell so well right now. Create good and meaningful stories and create a meaningful run that can remain a classic "must read" in the future. Ten years from then, you can make a movie about Starfire alone and it would've been great.

But if you keep cancelling your B-list and C-list stuff, you'll get stuck doing the same Batman/Superman/JL routine forever.
>>
>>79773608
Sadly that's what fans want and that's what's going to get them more sales.
>>
>>79773611
It's not cancelled, it's ending. A good story ending is better than a bad story dragging on.
>>
>>79773611
You say this after Black Knight just got canceled at 5.
>>
>>79773280
>Then Didio said "You're right. We did promise 12 issues so it'll get 12 issues." and uncancelled it.
For all the shit he gets, (and I know I've thrown a fair bit of it myself) Didio can be a pretty stand up guy.
>>
>>79773643
Ever heard of story arcs? Superhero stories don't truly "end", unless it's some mini-series by default but Starfire was not really that.

>>79773653
Yeah but Marvel can afford to cancel shit all the time because they have a bigger slew of semi-famous to mega-famous roster. Look at Black Panther for example who started as a one-time character in Kirby's FF and had so many comics and runs (including a great one by Priest) that he gets to have his own movie.

Imagine if DC had the same shitty money-hungry managers it has today back in the 80s/90s. These are the kind of faggots who would cancel Suicide Squad or Grell's Green Arrow just cause muh sales.
>>
File: 1416990380673 - Copy.jpg (316 KB, 1942x2985) Image search: [Google]
1416990380673 - Copy.jpg
316 KB, 1942x2985
>>79773611
Meanwhile people complain about DC "forcing" (read: actually marketing) Cyborg on the Justice League and Marvel pushing Carol and Ms. Marvel.

I don't know what you want, they can't keep a low-selling book going forever, and if they DO want to push these lower-selling books they have to have Bat-pandering books to bring in the funding. And even when they do keep a book on life-support indefinitely like All-Star Western/Jonah Hex it doesn't change anything because what people want is the same high-selling stuff.

In any other market DCYou would have been a great move, diversifying the lineup (in tone, not race), branching out and trying to make new hits while still offering the old style for people who want that.

Sadly this is cape comics and nothing will sell except continuity wank and "important" comics and movie shit.

I don't know how the fuck Valiant is doing so well relatively but they need to divulge their secret.
>>
Related

http://wordballoon.blogspot.co.nz/2016/02/word-balloon-tom-king-has-vision-leaves.html
>>
>>79773611
It's obvious they are done with starfire. I'd rather see them on something new for a year.
>>
>>79768504
I think keep one writer on one comic for more than 30 issues is a mistake, look at Slott and Synder, both have been on Spidey and Bats for way to fucking long man. Everyone is tired of their shit and wants to see someone new do something with the characters.
>>
>>79773943
I think it's pretty obvious that he's going to be the new Batman writer.

Don't know why DC is waiting so long to announce this whole Rebirth thing. It's retarded to release a teaser and then to not say anything for a month.
>>
>>79771484
This, I was so happy to have Kori act like a fucking adult at the start of New 52, 'Slutfire' was Bestfire. And yes, the space captain arc was amazing
>Death and pain are easy, that's why there is so much of it in the universe. You want to experience something unique? Try Life. Hope. Love.
And then she fucking fries the guy by kissing him. Outlaws may have been shit, but Starfire made that comic worth reading.
>>
>>79774086
Still loving Geoff Johns on Justice League.
>>
File: Starfire_wows_Gotham_PD.jpg (190 KB, 678x1083) Image search: [Google]
Starfire_wows_Gotham_PD.jpg
190 KB, 678x1083
>>79769483
>implying it's just men
>>
>>79773940
>don't know what you want
To at least keep it the comics going for a few years, to pick up steam and give some meat to the characters.

D&A GotG comic didn't sell a shit-ton back then but they kept going with it and the entire cosmic storylines and it was all the better for them. You think they would've ever done a GotG movie by just using the older gruenwald run? Hell fucking no.

Sometimes it's just better to go against the wishes of the fans, because they're too close-minded and don't know what's best for them in the long run.
>>
>>79773796
But we are not on the 80s/90s anymore man, also, DC fucked up with convergence and the fact that many DCyou tittles did well critically may enforce that those guys will be on A lists later
>>
>>79771484
if you're retarded, sure
>>
>>79774255
>but they kept going with it
Which was a mistake because that comic sure went downhill.
>>
>>79773943
Highlights? I like Tom King but a 2 hour long podcast is too much for me.
>>
>>79774255
>D&A GotG comic didn't sell a shit-ton back then but they kept going with it

You have to keep in mind that even just a few years ago, D-list titles could still sustain themselves. Remember when Ms Marvel could go for 50 issues uninterrupted? Now, they have to relaunch Captain Marvel every other week because sales are such shit all across the board.
>>
>>79774426
>King says that he'll make a new announcement on this podcast
>digresses and spends the next 20 minutes talking about his favorite podcasts, no mention of what his announcement will be

god dammit
>>
>>79769483
She's fuckin short man. She's suppose to tall.
>>
>>79774631
Big announcement is he is leaving grayson, and seems to hints that Nightwing is returning being lead by the court of owls
>>
>>79775296
Time?
>>
>>79775444
About the hour mark or a little before. Sorry host derails the conversation a lot
>>
>>79775444
OK went back and yea start at the 1hr mark. So you won't have to listen to the host bs
>>
>>79774239
DC should make a new gotham central style book
>>
>>79775575
Thank you, anon.
>>
>>79775296
King also does a terrible job about hiding how he's gonna be the new batman writer.

So I've always hated the idea of buying an actual batman coimic...but I'm really tempted to read more king.
>>
>>79769081
>hating DC automatically means you love Marvel

nice company war, bro
>>
>>79775575
The interviewer is so fucking annoying holy shit, let the man talk for a second.

He always interrupts King whenever he starts saying something interesting.
>>
>>79775713
So, it's really real? Goddamnit.
>>
>>79775924
Do you think it's worth it to compromise my ideals to buy batman just to read more king?
>>
>>79775964
Since your ideals are retarded, sure why not
>>
>>79771567
Even her creator, George Perez, shipped her with Kori. "Dickfire" has been the preferred flavor for decades now.

I'd, um, post proof Perez was into this pairing, but this IS a blue board...
>>
>>79776077
Well, they were together all throughout NTT so I would imagine that Perez shipped Dickfire
>>
>>79776058
Like that opinion means anything from a blind as a batfan
>>
From King's podcast, it seems like Rebirth will be focusing more on the "shared history" of the DCU.

What I'm getting is that they dropped the whole story > continuity thing.
>>
>>79768484
Fuckin' bummer... I enjoyed this run...
>>
>>79776135
not a batfan, i just think your ideals are retarded
>>
>>79776533
I wonder if they'll trying ANOTHER attempt at a year long weekly.
>>
>>79777080
Pls no.
>>
>>79776533
>they dropped the whole story > continuity thing.
This is your fault, /co/.
>>
File: 1453151335263.jpg (16 KB, 450x455) Image search: [Google]
1453151335263.jpg
16 KB, 450x455
>>79773940
>implying anyone wanted Cyborg in the spotlight
>mfw the only version of Cyborg people care about is DUDE WAFFLES LMAO

Its not taking off as well as John Stewart did.

>Captcha: Waffles
>>
File: 1414428334737.png (313 KB, 319x498) Image search: [Google]
1414428334737.png
313 KB, 319x498
>>79776533
>What I'm getting is that they dropped the whole story > continuity thing.

Even if I didn't like most of DCyou I did like this principle. I hope they don't abandon it entirely.
>>
>>79775964
Sure, idc. I just really, really, really, really, really wanted him on GL. And I don't even hate Venditti that much.
>>
>>79777440
Man...You're right. that would be better. then I could enjoy the writing AND the character. hopefully he would just keep writing Kyle but, even if it's Hal I'd be happy. I've been buying Venditti's GL and not hating it as well. on that note this weeks Flash was...better.
>>
File: 1407449796537.jpg (171 KB, 854x859) Image search: [Google]
1407449796537.jpg
171 KB, 854x859
>>79777369
Listened to almost all of the podcast and it seems like they're going back to some sort of status quo. Creators won't have the same liberty to do what they want in the books they're writing and they're putting an emphasis on everything "connecting". We won't see that many standalone stories anymore.

At least that's what King's implying. Bummer, but I can't say I'm faulting DC on this. Fans clearly care more about continuity than story, so what can you do?
>>
>>79776533
>What I'm getting is that they dropped the whole story > continuity thing.
Well considering there were a lot of people who were confused about Darkseid War/unpowered Supes/Jimbats being written at the same time, this would be the right move.
>>
>>79777587
Absolutely terrible. I hate that status quo = better sales. Why can't it be good writing = better sales. Why are cape fans so awful.
>>
>>79777567
Y'know what I just realized would be best? Hal/Kyle team-up series. We know he can write both characters very well (Omega Men and Darkseid War tie-in), and it's a pretty cool dynamic that hasn't been explored much. Plus, since Ganthet is gone, and Radu and Alan don't really exist anymore, Kyle could use a father/older brother stand-in.
>>
File: screwyou.jpg (199 KB, 645x561) Image search: [Google]
screwyou.jpg
199 KB, 645x561
>>79768484
FUCK
>>
>>79775296
>seems to hints that Nightwing is returning being lead by the court of owls
CoO was literally the worst change to Dick's backstory
>>
>>79777587
The important thing is that it shouldn't be an either or scenario. It should be both. no questions asked.

>>79777614
Yeah, I like a strong editorial that keeps the characters coherent, make it feel like a living universe. and I really don't think that's really THAT limiting, in fact when you're stuck with a particular framework, I think some of the best creativity makes its self apparent, think of old video games and the limitations they had, some of the best ideas came from those walls in their way.
>>
File: HalRaynor.png (327 KB, 500x382) Image search: [Google]
HalRaynor.png
327 KB, 500x382
>>79777674
Goddamn dude. that would be so bad ass.
>>
>>79777691
>strong editorial

Those days are long gone.
>>
>>79768516
I haven't kept up on my comics the past couple of months. What's Rebirth? Titans Rebirth? Leading off from Titans Hunt I'm assuming?
>>
>>79777784
We don't entirely know, but it seems to be some sort of relaunch. Creative teams are definitely getting a shake-up line-wide, and there will probably be some soft rebooting.

Bleeding Cool has "leaked" a lot about it, which, surprisingly, seems to be fairly accurate, but we don't know much for sure yet.
>>
>>79777730
But I mean, they don't have to be. We've proven with things like Omega Men and Tubmblr that DC and Marvel will bend their ass over backwards for internet whining. so the "That's the way things are" excuse doesn't really work.
>>
>>79777784
Its still a mystery.
>>
>>79777852
Campaign for stronger editorial? Might be worth a shot, but DC doesn't have many great editors right now. Andy Khouri is the only one I can think of off the top of my head. Maybe Moz if his Heavy Metal is good.
>>
>>79777910
Who is Moz?
>>
>>79773595
Starfire was never real to begin with
>>
>>79776533
>What I'm getting is that they dropped the whole story > continuity thing
Meaning? The vents of Superman affected the status quo of the Action Comics title too. And Detective Coics stared Jimbats also, so...the creative teams on these titles were not allowed to do what they wanted, instead they had to bend over for the continuity. And there's also the status quo in these titles bleeding in other titles like Catwoman or Grayson, so...
>>
>>79775296
He's so uncoyly coy about being on Batman it's pretty much confirmed.
>>
>>79777910
Sounds promising!
>>79777988
So, yes, any more info on editors at the high end, I don't know much about that part of the industry at all.
>>
>>79778013
so maybe a solution could be instead of a writer being halfway through their story and have it suddenly uprooted for an event. have a strong enough editorial that the story naturally flows in that direction before it happens. that should be goal so it all feels like it's a part of the story.

I realize these are nuanced and not easy things to accomplished but it's the kindof stuff we should be expecting.
>>
>>79778026
Huh? I just asked who is this Moz.
>>
>>79778148
sorry I did that poorly, I sort of hijacked your question and re-asked it.
>>
>>79778148
>>79777988
Morrison.
>>
>>79778261
Why do you call him Moz instead of Mor?
>>
>>79777587
>it seems like they're going back to some sort of status quo
Oh well, it had to happen sooner or later ;_;
>>
>>79777587
>Creators won't have the same liberty to do what they want in the books they're writing
Was this ever a thing, with even Scott Snyder bitching that he can't use the character that he wanted?
>>
>>79777839
>Bleeding Cool has "leaked" a lot about it, which, surprisingly, seems to be fairly accurate
BC is usually more accurate about DC stuff than it is about marvel stuff.
>>
File: Legacies_8_Cover_A.jpg (835 KB, 1280x1919) Image search: [Google]
Legacies_8_Cover_A.jpg
835 KB, 1280x1919
DC's strength has always been it's shared, vast history and a lot of the best books build and live in that history. So this MIGHT be good, there's precedent.

Hopefully editors and writers can be good and work together for this to work
>>
>>79777674
Plus they can pass Carol back and forth
>>
>>79777674
We're likely getting a Hal/Kyle/John team up series when the movie rolls around
>>
>>79779101
Kyle/Jordan Eiffel tower action.
>>
>>79779958
They blindfold Carol so that her ring leads her to one of them, and she has to guess who she's fucking
>>
>>79778711
To be fair, if you're talking about Cass, that was before the story > continuity mandate.
>>
File: atlee back into the universe.jpg (80 KB, 600x344) Image search: [Google]
atlee back into the universe.jpg
80 KB, 600x344
>>79768538
>>JP: We love Atlee and, I have to be honest, she will always appear in our DC work at one time or another because we feel she is a unique character in so many ways.

see that's well and good but they've have BIG PLANS for characters who where missing and then proceeded to sit on them for ages with only the occasional "Yep I exist" appearance

she only just came back and I don't want to lose her again
>>
>>79777674
only if it ignores that Kyle/Carol ever happened, and if it's got Flight level homo levels
>>
look Im not gonna say they shouldn't have tried pandering to cartoon fags.

but this is what happens when you try to pander to cartoon fags
>>
>>79780281
Writers ending the book when they want happens when you pander to cartoonfags?

Well fuck I wish more comics did that so other writers could finish when they want instead of getting cancelled.
>>
>>79780367
>when they want

that's cute that you believe that
>>
>>79780069
Holy shit the amount of gay is off the charts.
>>
Good riddance
>>
>>79780719
>muh status quo
>>
>>79780281
The book was selling fine. 24k in January, which is pretty good for a non-A-list character at DC these days.
>>
>>79781114
24k is still like hanging on by life support by comic standards. it's not "doing good" in the least.
>>
>>79768610
>SeeKing Titans
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>79769006
>Johns's debatable Titans run
>Perez's NTT
>Pak
The problem with Titans is the editorial and the writers it gets. Lobdell was going to be shit. Pfiefer was responsible for Amazons Attack.
>>
>>79782895

SeeKing Titans reuniting Dick and Wally is the dream
>>
>>79783641
Just wait until Abnett brings Wally back. I'm hoping that Hank and Dawn aren't forgotten after Titans Hunt. But given that the TNT Titans show had those two slated for use and Johns said DC had big plans for the Titans in spite of the cancellation, I think we're all good. If the rumors of Cyborg's solo movie becoming "Titans" are true, then we the roster will probably be Dick, Vic, Gar, Kori, Raven, Hank, and Dawn with Wally, Garth, and Donna coming in the sequel. Probably after WW2, Flash 2, and Aquaman 2.
>>
>>79783818
Wally is still cannon black kid, was just in this weeks flash.
>>
>>79780069
oh yeah he took carol on that same flight, huh?
>>
>>79784765
Yeah

and his dad took him on it
>>
>>79774239
i will never stop loving this page
Thread replies: 209
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.