[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Steven Universe went to shit after Sardoynx Arc
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 13
File: m'kay.jpg (100 KB, 468x345) Image search: [Google]
m'kay.jpg
100 KB, 468x345
Steven Universe went to shit after Sardoynx Arc
>>
File: 1451252159686.gif (863 KB, 277x300) Image search: [Google]
1451252159686.gif
863 KB, 277x300
>SU was ever good

Someone likes Undertale, I see.
>>
>>79746314
I bet you're lots of fun at parties
>>
>>79746283
Since when did SU have arcs?
>>
>Steven Universe went to shit after Ocean Gem

Fixed.
>>
>>79746361
Arcs, bombs, same shit.
>>
>>79746361
Sardonyx was pretty close, since it was five episodes revolving around the same plot. Too bad those episodes were hot garbage.
>>
File: 1453741951634.jpg (81 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
1453741951634.jpg
81 KB, 680x680
>>79746283
>arc
>>
File: average_sug_fag.jpg (662 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
average_sug_fag.jpg
662 KB, 768x1024
>watching SU after 2014
>>
>>79746314
I like Undertale.

I still hate SU
>>
>>79746283
WAKE UP, ANIKI.
>>
>>79746283
couldn't disagree more, peridemption arc has been great
>>
File: Based Chris Evans.jpg (21 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
Based Chris Evans.jpg
21 KB, 360x360
>>79748638
>peridemption arc has been great
>>
>>79746361
>Since when did Steven Universe have arcs
Episode 25
>>
>after the Sardonyx Arc
You mean after the Peridot arc?
>>
File: your waifu a shit.gif (666 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
your waifu a shit.gif
666 KB, 640x360
>>79746283
>>79748678
I love that Peridot haters had to suffer through her redemption.

I hope Lapis dies in that upcoming return episode.
>>
>>79746283
But the only thing after Sardonyx was Peridemption and that was great.

Are you yanking my chain?
>>
>>79748861
>I hope Lapis dies in that upcoming return episode

Same I hate the character, just a lame blank slate mixed with the token damsel in distress trope.

You could write her out of the series, the same goes with Peridot and nothing would change.
>>
>>79748972
>blank slate
>damsel in distress
She forcibly fused herself to someone she hates and cast herself into the depths of the ocean for her one friend in existence.

That's not the damsel in distress, that's the tragic heroine.
>>
File: tumblr_o2awxzWCTD1t84nbyo1_1280.jpg (253 KB, 1280x1656) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o2awxzWCTD1t84nbyo1_1280.jpg
253 KB, 1280x1656
>>
>>79749029
>that's the tragic heroine.

That's what I mean by blank slate, nothing in her character portrays her in such a definite way. It's just delusional fans augmenting a character with no personality to give her face.
>>
>>79748972
>the same goes with Peridot

lmao nice try but Peridot massively changed the entire show like, twice. first was the introduction of homeworld and Yellow Diamond, then her redemption arc leading to the CG's getting a new member.
>>
>>79749163
>nothing in her character portrays her in such a definite way.

> I'm done being everyone's prisoner. Now you're my prisoner!
>Let's stay on this miserable planet... together!

We don't know much about lapis but she isn't a blank slate.
>>
>>79749029
I see Lapis as boring because that's how the writer portray her. That's not always inherently bad though. There are some characters who are blank slates that we give a voice to such as Link from the Zelda series. You ever see fan works of Link being over the top or silly when in the main games he shows little to no emotion whatsoever? People eat that shit up in a character.

The ability to create self on a blank canvas and make it whatever you want it to be, added with the damsel and distress shit and you have a characters fans become so infatuated with, hence the ravenous Lapis fan base.
>>
>>79749029
>That's not the damsel in distress, that's the tragic heroine.

I'm sure being trapped in a mirror for eternity fucked her up a bunch, but honestly, I think it just comes off as an obnoxious martyr complex. I'm sure they wanted an excuse to write Lapis out of the show for a while, but it's hard for me to accept as tragic because it felt completely unnecessary, and if anything, just made things more complicated for the Crystal Gems. Mabe Lapis' insistence on perpetually being trapped is meant to be tragic, but I find it hard to sympathize with her when she's so self-destructive.
>>
>>79749375
Okay.

But wouldn't that stuff happen eventually? If anything she just sped up the inevitable. Think back during the entirety of the series, how many episodes wasted chasing this useless character even leading up to the Garnet Japser fight.

>Now remove Peridot from the equation

Everything would've still happened as accordingly. Home World would've still been on the look out for Earth's cluster, the Gems still being fugitives would still have to look out for invading threats for what ever wanted status they have on their heads.

The only difference with the addition of Peridot is we get explanation to everything, she becomes the person to explain what _____ is.

>first was the introduction of homeworld

Gem Home World was first referenced in "Mirror Gem," I'm sure the Gems would've told Steven by then that other Gems were fucking insane, such as when they did in "The Return."

Or maybe before that I don't remember such specifics
>>
>>79749029
>Tragic Heroine
NO, she could have taken on all the crystal gems and Jasper on her own, plus shes had the ocean next to her to back her up. The fusion was completely unnecessary and full blown retarded.
>>
>>79748861
She's going to die eventually, unless Sucrose adds her to the credits.
>>
>>79749848
We don't know that. We barely know anything about either of them.

For all we know Jasper is insanely powerful or Lapis' powers were magnified by her desire to get home.
>>
>Steven Universe
>>
File: No Shit Universe.jpg (47 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
No Shit Universe.jpg
47 KB, 400x400
>>79749997
That image... It's just not the same
>>
>>79746283

Disagree. Peridemption was very much fun.

...Maybe the most fun of the entire show so far because Perry is a cute little fuck.
>>
>>79749822

Except Peridot is a fun, cute character.
>>
>>79749954
>we dont know that
Yes we do, Lapis took on the crystal gems no problem and Jasper had trouble with just Garnet.
>>
>>79749954

Dude her power is water. Earth contains 71% of it, versus the power of a fucking helmet. It's safe to say that the fight would've been one sided if she so chose.

But no we gotta have, "mah drama" which ended up being gay in the long run.

Blame these jackasses for writing off the only competent villain of the series in favor of fucking crying and singing.

>Joe Johnston
>Jeff Liu
>Rebecca Sugar
>>
>>79749029
That's a tragic something all right. That girl needs help, holy shit.
>>
>>79749954
It's not a matter of powerlevels, some people just can't handle it when a character acts irrationally. Even if the character is irrational.
>>
File: tumblr_nl0nysfqSA1qgydino1_500.jpg (66 KB, 500x393) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nl0nysfqSA1qgydino1_500.jpg
66 KB, 500x393
Talking about Lapis and Peri...

I’ve been going through the entirety of Hilary’s promo art on Tumblr and noticed something. In most of these AU highschool gem drawings, a lot doesn’t seem to make sense (see Rose and Steven or Amethyst, Pearl and Opal all in the same room). However I feel like there still might be some hidden foreshadowing going on. For more than an year, both Peridot and Lapis are present in the promo art. But we’ve never seen Jasper before. Could this have something to do with her possibly not getting any redemption? I’m not going to bet anything on this, but I thought her absence is a pretty curious situation
>>
>>79750321
Lapis's only real concern was getting Steven out of the crossfire and she was in her cage during the Jasper Garnet fight. With that in mind, handcuffing Jasper to her and dragging her away was an optimal strategy.
>>
>>79750516
>It's safe to say that the fight would've been one sided if she so chose.

But doesn't Jasper gain any control over the water now that they are fused?

Just re-watched 'The Answer' and it sure looks like Ruby and Sapphire didn't have their ice/fire powers until after they had fused.
Does polyfusion give gems special powers?

Is it conceivable that that is how Pearl became a terrifying renegade? All pearls are supposed to be devoted to their owners... what if she actually fell in love with Rose to begin with, inappropriately hugged her in an impulse... and Rose, being a kindly sort, hugged her back... and they fused... hello Rainbow Quartz.... and when they came out of it, they had both changed? Rose had outlier-type powers: healing tears AND the creation of plant warriors. Maybe Pearl became the first and only warrior pearl out of love...

I wonder if this 'polyfusion gives you powers' thing really is a thing. Blue Diamond wanted Ruby broken after she fused. Maybe that wasn't just a hysterical overreaction, but damage control and containment.
>>
File: ......jpg (13 KB, 320x287) Image search: [Google]
......jpg
13 KB, 320x287
>>79750567
That's about as tragic as every main character saying

"I never asked for this..."

There has to be some disillusion to the same old cliche we've heard about a hundred times.
>>
>>79746314
>Complains about meme games and cartoons
>Uses a picture from the biggest meme show ever
Yeah, nah you're the faggot here.
>>
>>79750777
>But doesn't Jasper gain any control over the water now that they are fused?
We don't know how unwilling fusions work for character specific powers but either Jasper would need to want it more or would need Lapis's permission

>Does polyfusion give gems special powers?
It allows their fusions to combine abilities and weapons like Opal's bow (spear and whip) or Garnet's electricity (fire and ice)

Beyond that nothing suggest it bestows lingering abilities on the components.
>>
>>79751030
>Beyond that nothing suggest it bestows lingering abilities on the components.

Yes, it does. 'The Answer' emphatically suggests that Ruby and Sapphire did not have their respective ice and fire powers before they fused.
>>
>>79750760
>getting steven out of the crossfire
She obviously tried to run away

>Optimal strategy
She could have easily cuffed jasper on her own

Just stop trying to defend this shitty character, it's quite sad really
>>
>>79750760
>Lapis's only real concern was getting Steven out of the crossfire and she was in her cage during the Jasper Garnet fight.

When was this even alluded to? What concern or even strategy did she show during that part of the episode? When the ship crashed her first instinct was escape.
>8:34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO5CYj1K2gI

Lapis fags I know you want her to feel like she's apart of the team but she's only looking out for herself, nothing more nothing less. This is why I referred to Lapis as a blank slate because of people like you warping your own personality on a character with barely 16 lines of dialogue to herself.
>>
>>79751322
This.

Fuck I love you bro, I just gave the same response not too long ago.
>>
>>79749457
Dude don't you understand she'll be more fleshed out when she returns the next bomb
>>
>>79749029
No? She's someone who might be legitimately insane and took someone hostage essentially to torture them forever to make her feel better.
>>
File: our only lead.png (3 MB, 2404x1464) Image search: [Google]
our only lead.png
3 MB, 2404x1464
>>79750697
It's because Lapis is going to try and kill peridot the next time we see her

listen basically the next bomb is going to feature lapis
>>
>>79750516
Lapis is probably a glass cannon though. Like Jasper could crush Lapis in the time it takes Lapis to either fly away or try and make a giant water hand/water clone.
>>
I think part of what makes Lapis seem like such a blank slate is due to being a mirror for so long. Like even her current behavior seem a bit familiar.

>http://plyers-2.tumblr.com/post/125367600356/coincidence
>>
>>79751295
No it doesn't. They displayed their powers afterward cause they were flustered.

It's the magical equivalent to nervous hiccups.

I don't possibly know how you haven't seen that trope before.
>>
File: You serious.jpg (37 KB, 453x500) Image search: [Google]
You serious.jpg
37 KB, 453x500
>>79752792
My grandfather lived 36 years to give birth to his daughter to give birth to me 20 years later to wait another 19 years later to see this fucking film. No life doesn't go on... I've waited to see this film since I was in my dad's ball sack while he was reading Kingdom Come.
>>
>>79752792
Oops wrong thread.
>>
>>79751322
>She obviously tried to run away
She tried and failed to dodge a grab and she didn't even know Steven was nearby at that point.
>She could have easily cuffed jasper on her own
Jasper has a spindash, that's up for debate.

>>79751513
>When was this even alluded to?

>Lapis, don't do it
>Lapis immediately gets angry eyes
Unless you're fucking retarded, she wasn't angry at Steven so much as at the prospect of being asked to fight him, especially by her fucking jailer.
>What concern or even strategy did she show during that part of the episode?
She fucked up Jasper pretty good.
>When the ship crashed her first instinct was escape.
Literally just tried to get out of grab range. She just got hit with a planet and saw Jasper coming straight at her. Anyone not braindead would try to dodge.

>>79752361
I never claimed she was emotionally stable. She totally fucking isn't. But that doesn't make her a blank slate or a damsel in distress.

Fuck that's pretty much the opposite of a blank slate.
>>
>>79749144
Until what? Do you know something we don't? Huh anon?
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.