[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Archie Comics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 150
Thread images: 33
File: image.png (703 KB, 1189x1704) Image search: [Google]
image.png
703 KB, 1189x1704
How would /co/ feel if Archie did a bunch of Super Mario comics?
>>
>>79694754

That would be so great. I love the Sonic ones.
>>
>>79694841
It would be a good expansion to the universe.
>>
File: 1409792207098.png (126 KB, 415x332) Image search: [Google]
1409792207098.png
126 KB, 415x332
I know they asked Ninty a few years ago to do Metroid.
>>
I'd never be able to read it anyway because it would keep getting delayed.
>>
Would have been rad as hell. Archie writers would work well with the Mario universe.

...Also even though we're kinda crossover'd out at the moment, I would never be opposed tot a Mario/Sonic Worlds Collide style thing.
>>
Well, blame Iwata for not letting Archie do the Mario or any Nintendo comics.

Hopefully the new press lets Archie do them, considering he wants to broaden out Nintendo's IPs out to other types of media besides video games.
>>
File: gigyas.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
gigyas.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>Implying Archie could do any of them with their management so fucked they had to cancel Sonic Boom and Mega Man

That said, 90s-style F-Zero or Wonderful 101 monthly or bust.
>>
>>79694754
They asked Nintendo if they could do Mario, Kirby, and Metroid ones.

But this was Nintendo when they were at the height of the Wii and were arrogant as shit and believed they didn't need to keep interest running in their IPs. Now the arrogance bit them in the ass and an entire generation is going by that doesn't even know what the fuck a Nintendo is.
>>
>>79694754
I'd love it, but between Archie's recent troubles and Nintendo's general unwillingness to license out non-Pokemon IPs for non-vidya materials after the Super Mario Bros. movie, I doubt it would happen anytime soon. But if Archie gets its act back together and Nintendo's theme park deal with Universal is reasonably successful, maybe it could happen.
>>
I just want a new Western comic or cartoon adaptation of most Nintendo series that have never had a proper shot (Metroid, Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, WarioWare) or ones that still haven't had it done right (Basically everything but Pokemon).
>>
>>79695007
>I would never be opposed tot a Mario/Sonic Worlds Collide style thing.
An official Mario/Sonic crossover that isn't an olympics minigame collection would get the entire world hyped.
>>
>>79694841
>Wario and Waluigi working together in non sports stuff
>>
>>79695220

Why they don't realize this enough to make a real game crossover is beyond my entire comprehension.
>>
File: image.png (435 KB, 640x796) Image search: [Google]
image.png
435 KB, 640x796
Give a backstory to these guys.
>>
Two things,

A: Nintendo told Archie to piss off not once, not twice but THRICE in prior pitches.

B: Archie is seemingly destitute, they can't even release monthlies on time.

In the unlikely even Nintendo does every decide to do western comics they sure as shit ain't gonna give Archie the time of day.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 1987x3056) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 1987x3056
>>79695007
The Mega Man, Sonic, and Mario universes colliding would be a glorious clusterf*ck!
>>
>>79695270
Probably because Miyamoto won't let it happen.
>>
>>79694754
I'd rather just have Valiant do them again.
>>
>>79694754
Fuck Archie. Give it to IDW.
>>
>>79695220
Only if said crossover was a VIDEOGAME. I wouldn't get hyped for a shitty comic. This isn't like Batman/TMNT because both properties started as comics.
>>
>>79695068
>an entire generation is going by that doesn't even know what the fuck a Nintendo is.
you're retarded. no matter how much you hate nintendo, you can't sit there and say that when 90% of the miiverse is, like, 7.
>>
>>79695059
Time to get real, Mega Man (oh yeah that one goes first) and Sonic Boom motherfucking SUCKED. They were boring and aimless endeavors without any substantial hook. And get ready for the kick below the belt, those comics were inferior to MLP FIM's comics in terms of merit.
>>
>>79694754
Why would Archie do that instead of IDW or BOOM?
>>
>>79695442
That's what we though last time, then Worlds Unite turned out to be shit.
>>
>>79695068
No. This whole post is retarded.

Nintendo is in full blown collapse because:
1. They censor all their games now. They apparently learned nothing from the Mortal Kombat on SNES fiasco.
2. They make nothing but sequels anymore. This company gave up on original IPs after like 2008. Splatoon alone ain't gonna cut it.
3. They deliberately avoid making the games people want BY THEIR OWN ADMISSION because they think they need to "surprise" people with things they didn't expect (in Iwata and Miyamoto's own words). This is where stuff like that new Metroid-in-name-only comes from.
4. They're OBSESSED with cartoony graphics and refuse to make their game like they aren't a commercial for Fischer Price or diapers. Zelda is STILL using cel shading. After all the backlash against Wind Waker they keep trying to force this garbage on people a full decade and a half later.
5. They have an "anti-violence" policy because Miyamoto thinks "video games should never show any violence". He tried to stop SMASH BROS. from getting made until Iwata talked him out of it and got a "full contact volleyball' Mario game cancelled because he thought even THAT was "too violent". He also trued to get Goldeneye 007 censored but luckily Rare just flat out ignored him. Now that he's an executive every fucking Nintendo game gets sterilized within an inch of its life. He's a great dev, but a TERRIBLE businessman.
6. Other than Smash and Mario Kart, they've ruined or abandoned all their classic IPs. Zelda is a joke now with the only fans being overly optimistic holdouts from the N64 era who still think there's a chance that a new Ocarina caliber game might get made. 3D Mario sells less than 1/3 of what 3D Mario sells yet they still make 3D Mario and 2D Mario only gets a fucking LEVEL EDITOR. And the less said about Metroid and Star Fox the better.
>>
File: ArchieMario.jpg (252 KB, 573x800) Image search: [Google]
ArchieMario.jpg
252 KB, 573x800
>>79694754
Almost happened friend.
>>
File: ArchieMario2.jpg (216 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
ArchieMario2.jpg
216 KB, 600x800
>>79696392
>>
File: ArchieMario3.jpg (204 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
ArchieMario3.jpg
204 KB, 600x800
>>79696412
>>
>>79696376
7. The fucking WiiU has the WORST controller EVER. Who the fuck thought anyone wanted to play games on a tablet?
>>
>>79696376
>After all the backlash against Wind Waker

Wind Waker was fucking great though.
>>
Archie is capeshit but for videogames characters, this is literally canonical-fanfics shit like Marvel with an army of shitty friends everyfuckingwhere !! this is vomitive !
>>
>>79696376
>3D Mario sells less than 1/3 of what 3D Mario sells

"2D Mario" is what the second one was suppose to say, obviously.
>>
>>79696461
This is objectively false. GTFO with that contrarian faggotry,
>>
>>79694754
NEVER EVER
>>
>>79696492
Dude, "cape" just means "it has superheroes" in it. Nothing "capeshit" about Archie.
>>
>>79696595

Thank goodness.
>>
>>79696461
No it wasn't. Windwaker HD is what it took to make the game decent. And honestly I hate the Toon Link bullshit that was forced in later games thanks to WW's success. IMO games like Minish Cap or 4 Swords shouldn't have had that retarded art style. There's more than one way to draw cartoony style that doesn't make Link look like a Power Puff Girl.
>>
>>79695625
Given with what they had to work with (and if anything like the support Nintendo gave DiC, then they got jackshit support from Nintendo), Valiant actually did pretty good with the various Nintendo comics.

Of course none of them had the ability to use the 'canon' backstories as Nintendo of Japan was hording that info themselves and NoA was and is always clueless, so things like the Metroid comics were saddled with only using game experience and the horribly mangled Captain N 'mythos'.

They also at least they showed signs of playing the games, unlike DiC's writers.
>>
>>79696832
>Toon Link bullshit that was forced in later games thanks to WW's success

WW underperformed and is one of the lowest selling games in the series. Nintendo forced it IN SPITE OF that. On the other hand, Twilight Princess, with its more realistic style, is the third biggest Zelda after Ocarina and 1, yet Nintendo acts like that game doesn't exist.
>>
>>79696376
>And the less said about Metroid and Star Fox the better.

If we're honest, Starfox has never been that great. And gross incompetence by Nintendo ensured that the series' brand was smeared permanently. I don't think SF0 is going to salvage anything even if the Wii U's userbase was huge.
>>
File: 1316883763839.jpg (9 KB, 241x230) Image search: [Google]
1316883763839.jpg
9 KB, 241x230
>>79696492

>vomitive
>>
>>79696376

>Backlash against Wind Waker's artstyle

Wow, I actually found the one person who actually hates Wind Waker!

Look at his majesty everyone. Nature is such a mystery.
>>
No thanks.

I don't trust Archie anymore.
>>
>>79697228
Why do you say that?
>>
>>79697372

He's probably just anally anguished Mega Man didn't sell and Archie threw it on the chopping block.
>>
>>79697063
Say what you will, but sales do speak the truth. Making a main console Zelda game, that was a sequel to OoT, look like Nintendo's version of the Power Puff Girls art style did turn people off. The game didn't flop like Metroid Other M (does it sting /co/?), however of the console games it did sell notably worse.

You want another example? Final Fantasy 8 prided itself on looking "realistic" (hey it was the PS1). FF8 followed FF7 which thanks to its CGI at the time people saw as a sign of videogames becoming more "realistic." But what followed FF8? Cartoony infantile looking FF9 which also didn't sell nowhere near as well as Squaresoft expected. It's also the black sheep of the series and showed that gamers no longer liked the chibi style in main FF entries.
>>
>>79697401

It does annoy me, yes. But their business practices have been very poor in general lately.
>>
>>79697472

Not having any money does that. Only a matter of time until Archie pulls a Dreamwave and tries to delay paying it's employees and free lancers.

What is it with Mega Man and being associated with comic book companies as they burn to the ground anyways?
>>
>>79697614

Hmm, that is a very off coincidence, isn't it?
>>
>>79697401
It could've kept its head above water if not for that second crossover, from what I hear.
>>
File: yea yeah.png (138 KB, 415x205) Image search: [Google]
yea yeah.png
138 KB, 415x205
>>79695887
>>
>>79697670

Ian had an interview literally like a month before Worlds Unite started where he kept hinting he hoped the comic turned around fast or he wouldn't get to do Mega Man 4.

Archie's executives probably already made the decision and just didn't tell anyone until late.
>>
>>79696376
>They're OBSESSED with cartoony graphics and refuse to make their game like they aren't a commercial for Fischer Price or diapers.After all the backlash against Wind Waker they keep trying to force this garbage on people a full decade and a half later.

You know, I would have been inclined to agree with you if not for this statement
>>
>>79696961
Star Fox in the 90s was really fun, dude.
>>
Well since that idiot Iwata croaked and the new Prez wants to license franchises out they could try again with a pitch.
>>
>>79697063
Dude, that game was almost universally hated when it first came out. The overwhelming majority of people still think it's shit.
>>
File: 1443382587272.jpg (7 KB, 252x207) Image search: [Google]
1443382587272.jpg
7 KB, 252x207
>2016
>people still shit on the best 3D Zelda cause "muh realism" "muh powerpuff girls"
Stop being twelve year old me

But yeah, Nintendo is straight up idiotic for refusing to market their characters in comic books. I mean, I had never even played a sega console; yet I kept up with Archie Sonic whenever a new issue hit the grocery store. Did DK Country cartoon and such give them that much hesitance to try and promote their brands? Zelda and Metroid comics would print money, and they'd do wonders for advertising new consoles. There's a reason even Big N fanboys like myself only knew about the WiiU until it was out for six months.
>>
>>79697905

>The overwhelming majority of people still think it's shit.

Um, no.

But thanks for playing.
>>
>>79697863
Yes, cartoony bipedal animal characters were popular then. But look at the sales of the few gaming series that try anything with animal characters nowadays. Sly Cooper Thieves in Time flopped.

And please /co/ don't say "Zootopia this and that!" That's a motherfucking movie. Different domain entirely. We're talking vidya here. However it does make sense for Sony to make the Sly Cooper movie because that medium will likely bring more success than videogames.
>>
>>79697863

The 90s was 16 years ago old man.
>>
>>79697963
The thing is though, you didn't even see the animals in the original games aside from like the title screen. It was all about the ships and shooting back then. They didn't get "character focused" until later.
>>
>>79697997
17, but I understand that you went to public school and can't count.
>>
>penders will never make a mario spin-off of luigi and daisy's daughter
>penders will never write deep lore about humans in the mario world
>penders will never make a mario family tree

why bother
>>
>>79698472

The Ku'upa Troop?
>>
>>79696929
>yet Nintendo acts like that game doesn't exist.

It's literally getting a HD update next month.
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 540x405) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 540x405
>>79695274
Bowsers bastard children

It's why Nintendo doesn't "recognize" them as bowsers actual children anymore
>>
>>79696432
haha
>>
File: image.jpg (181 KB, 940x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
181 KB, 940x400
Mfw when 89% of this thread is a Nintendo argument.
>>
File: 1409967748062.gif (264 KB, 148x111) Image search: [Google]
1409967748062.gif
264 KB, 148x111
>>79699158

Well Archie is such a shitty idea for a company for Nintendo products that part of the conversation evaporated pretty much instantly, just leaving Nintendo.

Maybe we can have this conversation again when Archie can actually release their damn monthlies on time and not delay their trades for TWO YEARS.
>>
File: 5e1ca5d7aPQvK[1].png (1 MB, 792x1224) Image search: [Google]
5e1ca5d7aPQvK[1].png
1 MB, 792x1224
There is one that kinda has that idea on SmackJeeves.
http://www.smackjeeves.com/comicprofile.php?id=137095
>>
So what comics would you want, /co/?

>Mario Universe: Super Mario Brothers, Donkey Kong Country, Warioware.
>In Super Mario Brothers, joing the bros in light-hearted adventures defending the kingdom from threats like Bowser, Tatanga, and Fawful.
>Donkey Kong Country treats its story a bit more straight-faced with things like the Kremling life force from DKC2, but still remains mostly light-hearted, high-flying adventure.
>Warioware is an almost entirely comedic series focusing on Wario and his "friends", Waluigi, 9-Volt, Mona, Captain Syrup, etc.

>Pokemon Universe: Pokemon, Pokemon Rangers
>Pokemon is a blend of the best parts of the anime, the games, and the mangas all blended together into a distillation of greatness. Either Ash or Red stars as we follow him on his quest to be a Pokemon Master.
>Pokemon Ranger is a more day-in-the-life story of people who work with Pokemon to keep them safe. Blends the Ranger and Snap Spin-offs.
>>
File: 24.jpg (2 MB, 1987x3056) Image search: [Google]
24.jpg
2 MB, 1987x3056
>>79695442
>Mega Man
anon...
>>
>>79699652

Starfy.

Shit writes itself.
>>
>>79699652

>Pokemon

Good luck with that. You'd have to get Nintendo AND Pokemon Company International on board and even they have problems agreeing among themselves now.
>>
>>79699652
A continuation of the SMRPG world.
>>
>>79699850

I kinda doubt Square Enix would be on board with that.
>>
>>79695442
>clusterf*ck
>>
>>79699919
Considering none of these ideas will ever actually happen, let a man dream.
>>
>>79694754
Screw that, I want the guys who make the Mickey Mouse shorts to make some Mario shorts. They somehow made Mickey an actual character again, just what Mario needs.
>>
>not wanting a splattoon comic
>>
>>79694754
The Mario universe has a great cast of characters, but I'm not sure I'd want a comic starring the bros, they work well as wordless protagonists.
>>
File: All the masters.jpg (1 MB, 1820x1400) Image search: [Google]
All the masters.jpg
1 MB, 1820x1400
>>
>>79699664
>still hurt
>>
File: 1369891579758.jpg (97 KB, 530x584) Image search: [Google]
1369891579758.jpg
97 KB, 530x584
>>79697953
>WW
>the best

Haha, whatever you say.
>>
>>79697953
They're doing a live action zelda show though
because fuck you thats why
>>
>>79705116
That was a rumor that Nintendo almost immediately quashed. There will not be a live-action Zelda show, ever, and anyone who was stupid enough to think that should feel ashamed of themselves.
>>
>>79695220
Brawl was definitely a good example of that. The Internet lost its shit for weeks once Sonic was confirmed.

>>79695270
Nintendo has said they considered it, but couldn't figure out how to balance the two completely different playstyles.
>>
Oh god they never did finish the NES era Megaman did they? That's kinda sad but at the same time it could have been done had they not do their own thing, kinda wish that was after the main line was done and not during so.
>>
File: BAITEST BAITS OF ALL BAITS.png (475 KB, 627x477) Image search: [Google]
BAITEST BAITS OF ALL BAITS.png
475 KB, 627x477
>>79696376
>>79696448
>>>/v/
>>
I would love an Archie Mario, but with their recent actions (like when the FUCK are we getting Eggman's Dosen?) I prefer to go to IDW Comics.

Then again, I really don't mind for the Sonic comics to move to IDW too
>>
>>79705313
>Nintendo has said they considered it, but couldn't figure out how to balance the two completely different playstyles.

Give Mario his Galaxy type gameplay and Sonic with his (fixed) Lost World Gameplay

Problem solved.
>>
>>79694754
Personally, I feel like creative team behind Sonic and Mega Man can make some ok, but nothing stand out comic. But in the long run they'd be fucked by Archie's office like Worlds Unite was.
>>
>>79696575
It actually is one of the best Zelda games, though. Flawed, yes, but still great.
>>
File: maximum overbait.gif (539 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
maximum overbait.gif
539 KB, 625x626
>>79696376
This entire post is full of shit, holy fuck. It's like every troll post from /v/ condensed into one.

>2. They make nothing but sequels anymore. This company gave up on original IPs after like 2008.

Except they have, fucktard. Splatoon was just their first MAJOR new IP is years, but that is because it had revolutionary gameplay. They still made new IPs every other year, like W101 and Codename STEAM. But wanting something like Splatoon every year is straight up unreasonable.

>1. They censor all their games now. They apparently learned nothing from the Mortal Kombat on SNES fiasco

>5. They have an "anti-violence" policy because Miyamoto thinks "video games should never show any violence"

Oh, you mean the same company that allowed shit like madworld in their consoles? Fuck, they actually wanted bayonetta to be more lewd and violent because it suits her in Bayo 2. You're a complete moron that has no clue what you're talking about, only regurgitating shit people troll people with on this site with.
>>
File: 1453777666516.jpg (1017 KB, 724x1324) Image search: [Google]
1453777666516.jpg
1017 KB, 724x1324
>>79699664
>tfw best robot master was shit
the series deserves it.
aloha splashbar
>>
File: Silver-archie-246.png (93 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
Silver-archie-246.png
93 KB, 200x200
>>79704715
>Silver
>Splash Woman
>Same page
>>
It would be shit, just like the Mega Man and Sonic comics are/were. The writers might pay more attention to the story-lines than the video-game companies do, and I'm sure a lot of people on the internet loved the references to obscure shit like Rockman Shadow and Breezie, but these comics are generally poorly written, poorly paced and poorly drawn - it feels more like you're reading fan-fiction than officially licensed material.

A Mario comic probably wouldn't need to be as dialogue or plot heavy as the Sonic/Mega Man comics were, but it should at least look good and have a certain 'charm' to it, but I really doubt Archie could even pull that off. It'd be just as crap as the rest of their video-game adaptations, but you'd have people online singing its praises after noticing a reference to some stupid shit like Foreman Spike or Tatanga, or because they decided to adapt something weird like Mario Pinball Land.
>>
>>79694754

There's a 100% chance it would be written by Ian Flynn.

So no. I don't want Archie to do a Mario comic.

Besides, considering how they had to hemorrhage licensed IPs like they were bailing out a sinking ship, I doubt Archie could afford to license Mario and the rest, anyway. They can barely afford to keep the lights on at their offices, much less spend money on a bunch of licensed characters.
>>
>>79695100
>Warioware comic book
YES
>>
>>79695018
I thought it was Shiggy Miggy who was adamant that Mario must never have anything resembling storytelling.
>>
There's a Mario manga that's been running non-stop since Super Mario World.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_non-video_game_media_featuring_Mario#Comics_and_manga

No official translations, though. Don't think there's even any unofficial ones, either.
>>
File: 07.jpg (4 MB, 3974x3056) Image search: [Google]
07.jpg
4 MB, 3974x3056
>>
>>79713087

>all those dead series

Its not fair.
>>
>>79713117
Seeeegaaaaa~
>>
>>79713087
>Billy Hatcher
Holy shit that was my fucking JAM as a kid.
>>
File: 1454097914242.jpg (49 KB, 550x535) Image search: [Google]
1454097914242.jpg
49 KB, 550x535
>>79713087
>>
>>79699071
They are Adopted, Bowser Jr is his only Biological one. DUUUU

Besides Koopa kids aren't even Koopas, they are Boombooms
>>
File: da baiting.png (317 KB, 523x459) Image search: [Google]
da baiting.png
317 KB, 523x459
>>79709232
>>
>>79709081
>Splatoon

Not to derail, but anyone else resent Nintendo's dedication to being a shitty kiddy company? Oh no we can't have RED PAINT in Splatoon because BLOOD!!! Grow the fuck up Nintendo, ketchup is red and one bitches about the color.

You know its infantile and forced attempts to be like Disney, aka family friendly, what makes me hate Nintendo and makes me glad they're getting their asses kicked by Sony. I hope the NX fails as well. Nintendo has some good ideas, but their overall inoffensive image obsession sickens me.
>>
>>79714495
Are you autistic? All that mad because Nintendo didn't have a red ink in Splatoon?
>>
>>79714527
It's not just that. It's Nintendo's general approach to being as Family Friendly as possible that makes them so obnoxious. Splatoon being the new property they invented just being another new straw added to the pile. And for what its worth I don't like the chibi cartoony Metroid 3DS game.
>>
>>79713665
>Besides Koopa kids aren't even Koopas, they are Boombooms

Boombooms aren't Koopas?

Aren't all turtles in those games a variety of "Koopa?"
>>
>>79714103
How is it bait? They're poorly-written and are only carried by nostalgia: a game-by-game adaptation of the classic Mega Man series might sound appealing to a fan, but the story in those games were an afterthought and don't lend themselves well to a long-running series like this - I mean, they're all pretty much the same. Obviously shit like Super Adventure Rockman and Rockman World was thrown in to disrupt the monotony, but if you can't even write a compelling adaptation of Mega Man 2 then how are you going to do the rest of the series when it's no different? They did nothing to capture a new audience and the story couldn't carry itself, so they instead just tried to rely on the rabid internet fan-base with cheap fan service: someone unfamiliar with Mega Man isn't going to give a shit about Quint, Duo or "subtle" nods to the X series and Zero series. When that wasn't enough, they went pants-on-head retarded with the crossovers, licensed everything they could, and just went full fan-fiction in the hopes of attracting some audience, any audience. It was just bad.
>>
>>79714527

There's alot of other reasons to dislike them, such as refusing localize certain games, butchering and censoring games they do bring over, the absurd amounts of price gouging and price fixing, the reliance on happy meal toys, and etc.
>>
>>79714948
Just try to imagine Archie's Super Mario: we'd probably have a few issues of Super Mario 64, but Mario would be competing against a new OC rival named Al Loubano (Get it? Like Lou Albano, who played Mario in the Super Mario Bros. Super Show), who's this cliched uppity knight that thinks he's better than Mario and should be the one to rescue the Princess. That's it, there's nothing to him beyond that. If you've watched any cartoon, you've seen this character before.

But we've got obscure references, too! When Mario destroys the top of the pyramid in the Shifting Sand Land, he'd slyly mention having once been in a 'wrecking crew': and look - it's Harry! You remember Harry, right? From Mario Golf? It turns out he's in on this as well. What a card, that Harry! Personality and story? Who needs it, we've got Harry! Lubba's also there, briefly traveling from the future to foreshadow his and Mario's eventual meeting in Super Mario Galaxy 2. Directly after this we go into the Zelda/Animal Crossing crossover, where Bowser and Ganon team up to reset the universe, while Mario, Link and Mr. Resetti have to stop them.
>>
>>79715207
>we'd probably have a few issues of Super Mario 64,

Nah.

They'd probably do what the Sonic reboot did; start the universe in medias res with the games being part of an unseen back story.

Anytime a character references an event from a game, there'll be an editor's note saying

>For more information, Play Wario's Woods on your NES!

(Bravo, Ian!)
>>
>>79715207
>Mario would be competing against a new OC rival named Al Loubano (Get it? Like Lou Albano, who played Mario in the Super Mario Bros. Super Show), who's this cliched uppity knight that thinks he's better than Mario and should be the one to rescue the Princess. That's it, there's nothing to him beyond that. If you've watched any cartoon, you've seen this character before.

Maybe back in the Dark ages when Penders and Bollers were churning out weird animal friends and Terminator 3 rip-offs. Ian has stated before that he doesn't create OCs until he's sure he can make one with an actual personality.

I won't fight you on the references though.
>>
Wouldn't Mario be hard to do seeing the setting is too overly sacchrine? Even Kirby has some edge to it what with Meta Knight and some of the final bosses.
>>
>>79714495
>>79714666
What about Fire Emblem?
>>
File: 1440806934613.png (577 KB, 1372x767) Image search: [Google]
1440806934613.png
577 KB, 1372x767
>>79714989
You can always tell who's from /v/, because they seem to be unable to do anything else but shitpost.
>>
>>79715740

You mean those games that are only popular in Japan and the majority have never been translated or localized in the West?
>>
>>79715852
And have recently caused a shitstorm by being censored to be more family friendly?
>>
I think one thing people forget is just how ethnocentric/xenophobic Nintendo is.

They make games for Japanese tastes and if anybody else in world enjoys them then that's just a bonus. They didn't used to be that way, in the NES through N64 era they went out of their way to try and appeal to Westerners and make games specifically targeted at them.

But somewhere around the Gamecube era, that mentality at Nintendo eroded and they started to become increasingly insular. The Metroid Prime series was probably their last go at letting Westerners have anything Westerner-centric with a Nintendo property, and the Japanese hated those games so much they've been officially stricken from the record.

The Japanese fans reinforce the mentality pretty hard, too. There was this great site that translated a bunch of Japanese fan reactions to the announcement of Little Mac in Smash Bros. They were PISSED. Apparently, Punch Out is a game that was only popular in the West and is all but forgotten in Japan. So seeing a character only Westerners like included in the lineup absolutely INFURIATED them.

They wanted more Fire Emblem characters.

The Japanese fans viciously discourage and condemn any attempts to appeal to Westerners and Nintendo, since at least the Wii era, have been more than happy to oblige.
>>
>>79715207
>Lou Albano and Bob Hoskins will never tag team to fight Martine over who's the best Mario
>The winner(s) will never fight Danny Wells and John Leguizamo
>>
>>79715979

>Japan in general

It's like you've never heard of them before, anon.
>>
>>79715673
You couldn't do it in the same way that they did the Sonic comic, but it would still be completely possible to do a Mario comic. I can't imagine the series or characters really lending themselves well to long, narrative-driven plots that go over multiple issues: short, self-contained stories that rely on visual humor and the charming happy-go-lucky spirit fhat characterizes the series would be the way to go. Something like the old Mickey Mouse comics, or the Popeye cartoons.

>>79715979
I think the last half of your post is bullshit; no-one over there was happy about Kamui getting confirmed, and you're completely over blowing their xenophobia (not that they aren't, but still). Little Mac was comparatively obscure in Japan, sure, but it's not like they were all frothing at the mouth over Sakurai putting in a character that appealed more to Western audiences - that's just absurd. A lot of them recognized him from Captain Rainbow, and others recognized the character from way back. Not all of them liked it, sure, but this is SSB and there are always retards at character reveals.

Nintendo in-house development teams have always tried to develop games that appeal to 'everyone'; Westerners and Japanese alike. Super Mario Bros. isn't specifically aimed at the Japanese, while franchises like Zelda and Metroid have always done better in the West. You're not wrong that Nintendo became insular during the GameCube era, and their relationship with international developers eroded. It was Yamauchi that was responsible for Nintendo's collaboration with studios like Rareware and Argonaut Games, because he thought there was value in investing in international studios - it fell apart when he left, and you had fuck-ups like Project H.A.M.M.E.R where cultural tensions were dealt with poorly. You look at their collaboration with studios like Retro, Monster Games and Next Level Games in recent years, though, and it's clearly something they're working at,
>>
File: 1454052977670.png (90 KB, 241x236) Image search: [Google]
1454052977670.png
90 KB, 241x236
>>79715979
>There was this great site that translated a bunch of Japanese fan reactions to the announcement of Little Mac in Smash Bros.

http://legendsoflocalization.com/what-does-japan-think-of-little-mac-in-smash-bros/

On the subject of nintendo going family friendly/casual. Japanese games come in two flavors nowadays, casual flavored and otaku flavored. If your game isn't flavored to those taste and tries to appeal to what few hardcore fans remains then chances are it going to bomb.

Gaming has changed, both here and overseas
>>
>>79716475
>http://legendsoflocalization.com/what-does-japan-think-of-little-mac-in-smash-bros/

Jesus Christ.

I knew Japanese Nintendo fans were xenophobic but I wasn't expecting this.

SSB throws the gaijin one bone, ONE, and they go off the fuckin rails?

Remember the days when Nintendo made a completely different Mario 2 just to appeal to Western audiences?

Or when they let a Western company completely revitalize the Donkey Kong IP?

Or when they handed Metroid over to an American studio for three games because Metroid was only popular in the West and they knew that?

God, wtf happened? How did they go from actively appealing to an international consumer base to "FUCK YOU GAIJIN JAPANESE GAMES ARE FOR JAPANESE PEOPLE ONLY!" ...?
>>
>>79716475
Thise don't seem that bad. Not any worse than your average youtube video or /v/ thread.
>>
>>79716475
>>79716883
>that one guy who wanted Diddy and Dixie to be revealed that day

Nice, people often like to parrot that DKC's not popular in Japan but I have no clue why they say that
>>
>>79694754
Sounds nice, although I wouldn't want it written the same as the Sonic comics. I like the comics, but Mario's way more of a comedy. and humor is the comic's weak point.
>>
>>79695068
Comic books are not more relevant than video games, Anon. I love them but they are a tiny ass audience.
>>
>>79717057
I heard the cartoon was really popular there.
>>
File: CV4Y0iIWsAI_cIA.png (523 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
CV4Y0iIWsAI_cIA.png
523 KB, 1000x1000
>>79709120
>Silver
>Splash Woman
Is this some kind of obscure ship I've never heard of, or just liking both characters?
>>
>>79696376
Go home, /v/.
>>
File: 19487993_p0.jpg (3 MB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
19487993_p0.jpg
3 MB, 1200x1600
>>79699652
Donkey Kong Country. It has an extended cast that can be worked with, while generating interest in new games.

>>79717057
There are even some sites that were pissed off that K. Rool didn't get added in, and even the Japanese Miiverse had drawings of him, and the DKC cartoon was WAY more popular there.
>>
>>79717057
That GameCenter CX dude played DKC games, and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't play anything that didn't have at least some popularity in Japan.
>>
>>79716883
>Or when they let a Western company completely revitalize the Donkey Kong IP?
But they did that again.
>>
>>79717057
>Nice, people often like to parrot that DKC's not popular in Japan but I have no clue why they say that

There's this old rumor that Miyamoto hated DKC and trash talked Rare on some Japanese talk show or something. I don't know if that's just an urban legend (probably) but it's a very longlived tale.

>>79717154

Part of the reason the Canadian DKC cartoon was a hit in Japan is because they cast Funky Kong with an actual Japanese rapper who was really popular at the time. His name was, I shit you not, Banana Ice.

He also did the Japanese theme song for Beast Wars.
>I heard the cartoon was really popular there.
>>
>>79696376
/v/ go back to your own board and discuss your shitty console war bullshit somewhere else.
>>
>>79715979
>I think one thing people forget is just how ethnocentric/xenophobic Nintendo is.

And why shouldn't they be?

They look at the US game developers and it's

>ALL BROWN FPS AS FAR AS THE EYE CAN SEE

Why the fuck should they make any effort to appeal to THAT?

Metroid Prime was ok, but it was just another American FPS among literal hundreds.
>>
I want another piece of Elite Beat Agents, but I'm not sure how it would work in any form of media other than video games.
>>
>>79717407

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2010/06/turns_out_shigeru_miyamoto_does_like_donkey_kong_country
>>
>>79717509

>Not sure if bait or just /a/
>>
>>79715207

That is a pretty apt summary of Mega Man's writing sadly.
>>
On a somewhat related note, I found out some guy is making a Comic Book Sequel to the Super Mario Brothers Movie.
>>
File: DESTINY.png (27 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
DESTINY.png
27 KB, 200x200
>>79715551

Yeah Ian's never created a generic character that didn't fit the setting and everyone hated before.
>>
>>79721042
Kaminski loved the hell out of that asshole, but Kaminski's honestly an editor that belonged in the Dark Ages. It's too bad Pellerito got promoted, his replacements have been pale imitations.
>>
File: 1454643932058.jpg (103 KB, 700x302) Image search: [Google]
1454643932058.jpg
103 KB, 700x302
>>79721042
>DESTINY
Thread replies: 150
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.