[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are minority heroes insulted on /co/ when they are new, but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 13
File: ANAD-Avengers-770eb.jpg (204 KB, 600x920) Image search: [Google]
ANAD-Avengers-770eb.jpg
204 KB, 600x920
Why are minority heroes insulted on /co/ when they are new, but ot when they are guys like the 70s X Men, or Kyle Rayner or Choi Atom or the Black Firestorm or Japanese Dr Light or Johm Stewart and stuff?
Is it just anything that ckmesrout in the internet era will be put ibdee a deluge of buzzwords and shit?
>>
>>79664924
Most of the characters in ANAD avengers were made to push an agenda
>>
1. Almost every single new "minority" hero stole their mantle from a white male hero.

2. It's almost always done for agenda purposes.

3. They're usually written as horribly as possible because we're supposed to be happy enough that they just exist.

4. Villains are still overwhelmingly white guys.
>>
>>79664924
Marvel pushes degeneracy and has an agenda and your are too stupid to notice as expected from a marvel fan
>>
>>79664969
Because Black "the first black superhero"Panther wasn't?
>>
>>79664969
Vision, Tony, Falcon, and Jane weren't created to push an Agenda. They're all characters from the 60s. Kid Nova wasn't created to push an agenda, but to help Loeb cope with the loss of his son to cancer. You could argue that Kamala was created to push an agenda, but she's also the best character on the team and a significantly better character than Carol was as Ms. Marvel.

The only one you could really say was created to push an agenda was maybe Miles.
>>
>>79665034
Black Panther did come around to replace anyone.
>>
>>79665025
This marvel is literally a meme. I'm so sick of their crusade against all straight white men how can they keep getting way with it?!
>>
>>79665034
I think there's a difference between wanting more "diverse" characters with their own identity and handing over hero mantles that previously belonged to white male characters to non-white characters to pander to SJWs.
>>
>>79665018
>stole

Sidekicks and supporting charcters taking on main roles has happened for decades. Walky, Kyke, John,Guy,Azrael,Dick,Thubderstike, et al didn't get this kind of shit. ,
>>
>>79665119
Please don't pretend to be retarded. You know damn well there's a difference between that and what's going on now with modern Marvel in so many white male heroes being replaced by non-white male heroes.
>>
>>79665096
So if a white guy is succeded by a minority it's torches and pitch forks.

I have been here for years, and I noticed co had this huge hard on for legacy heroes, and was rioting against the New 52 for "silver age status quo" shit, and yet when Marvel does it, they are the devil? It's a double standard.
>>
>>79665086
/tumblr/ is that way buddy ------>
>>
>>79664924

Rayner isn't white enough?
I'm confused..
>>
>>79665169
Maybe people are going to be pussy when you change up shit. Maybe different people for different things? Maybe epecially if its done poorly? Maybe?
>>
>>79665163
Tell than to Ryan Choi, Dr Light, the entire Bronze Age Xmen reboot, Jason Rusch, Kalder Ahn,Rhodey Iron Man,John Stewart,Kyle Rayner,Zatanna, Ms Marvel, Captain Marvel Monica, etc.

Is every legacy hero who isn't a white guy a diversity hire?
>>
>>79665263
Superman IS an illegal immigrant.
>>
>>79665263
Black ,Arabic,Mexican Green Lanterns, Romani Baman, Japanese Dr Light, Black Firestorm, Chinese Atom,Black Man of Steel, and Black Catwoman say hi.
>>
>>79665386
>Is every legacy hero who isn't a white guy a diversity hire?
Yes, actually. It just depends on how they came about and what's being done with them.
>>
>>79665418
so, a lot of people in the US is/are/were/will be illegal immigrants, but you people still give them work.
>>
>>79664924
Because writers back then didn't use the characters as mouth pieces to shut up dissenters. It comes off as modern writers feeling very insecure about the whole thing. They even did it with Laura in the new Wolverine book, and barely anyone bitched about that, and hell, the ones who did mostly did so because it was so out of character for her to do something like that. Fuck, imagine if this shit had happened with Jaime when he became Blue Beetle.
>>
>>79665515
what was people reaction with the "first asian/black/arab hero"? did they hated it as much as us?
>>
>>79665119

You really can't argue that they haven't been setting this up for the past few years.

They've(Marvel Specifically) tried diversity every new generation but it never sticks so they decided to replace everyone this time and make it stick.

That or they'll wait til the sales get low enough and bring everyone back to better sales.

>>79665515
> writers back then didn't use the characters as mouth pieces to shut up dissenters.

Ya sure?
>>
Because characterization and legitimacy in serial storytelling is built up over time.

Did you know Wolverine was a character for 10 years before he got his own book?
>>
>>79665707
>That or they'll wait til the sales get low enough and bring everyone back to better sales.
Sam had sub 20k sales for almost his entire 30+ issue run, and Marvel still says "fuck Richard". Marvel will keep doing the wrong thing until it works out.
>>
>>79664924
They're older so there's no use complaining about them, the damage (or whatever the grievance is) is already done

also Kyle Rayner wasn't created as a minority, him being half Mexican was a retcon that came years later
>>
>>79665711
Amadeus, and Sam and Jane all have long histories and they still get shat on
>>
File: 1-don-quixote.jpg (38 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1-don-quixote.jpg
38 KB, 400x300
>>79664924
The intent has a ot to do with it.
In the case of 70s to early 90s comics characters, they came an interest of creating a increase on the number of reader from a certain audience whie still maintaing their main audience satisfied. In the ealy 70s, many characters came from things like the increasing care for the struggle of native americans or the reforming relationship between Japan and America, so there were a lot of japanese and native character.

80s and 90s, the same thing, but some more genuine exemples like Steel and most of the black/asian legacy characters we have today. Also greater awareness of "gang violance" and "youth problems" made the writers want to create characters that face those issues (Steel's first major case was fighting a gang war in Metropolis).

While today, the issue isn't really increasing the appeal of a book, but substitution. A marketing guy goes, "this group of people are more likely to spend money with this crap than the usual guys that got tired of our bullshit, so do this now", so the intent becomes audience substitution. Other aspect if the many of the characters seem to not wanna cause a legit like for the character, but to piss people off and cause controversy, for exemple there are the several "not my cap" moments on Sam's book or the other memetastic screen caps you guys like to bait around. They are daring you to dislike it so they can lable you a racist/sexist/whatever then the writer feel like he has the right to do absolutly insane shit like the Whor/Cap kiss out of nowhere.
>>
>>79666270
Were did this "substitution" myth come from?
>>
File: MAY150128.jpg (85 KB, 659x1000) Image search: [Google]
MAY150128.jpg
85 KB, 659x1000
>>79665515
Hell, imagine anything like this ever happening in DC comics. They're all REALLY white superheroes over there.
Batman was replaced by Azrael after Bane and that became a big disaster, then Dick stepped in later on after Bruce died/timetravelled/wasDarkseidZapped/whatever and as good as the writing was there it just didn't work, the whole thing was always controversial to start with. And they were both whitey-white-white, a minority Batman would have failed even harder.
Then there was Superman's death and the 4 replacements for his 4 books, one of them (Steel) was super-secretly black, soo edgy, but it's not like anyone of them was actually an official one and only NEW Superman. No, it was Mullet Superman who came to the rescue. That book's diversity quota was limited to red and blue.
How's /co/ feel about Earth2 Superman? Think he has the chops to take over for the big guy? Would DC ever have the balls? Of course not. They sell whitebread milktoast comics for a reason.
WonderWoman has been replaced by Artemis(?)... I don't read WW. Maybe that wasn't garbage? Was it? Would it have worked with an Asian WW?
Some of the JLA roster is actually outright tolken inclusions. It's hard to argue they're all on that team because as heroes themselves have the same draw as Supes, Bats, WW, 'Lantern, Flash,...Aquaman. Simon Baz, anyone?
Can anyone here explain to me why THAT hero roster reflects a non-agenda depiction of reality more than Marvel's current PC activism?
Because white dominance in heroic depictions IS a social agenda that's getting pushed too.
>>
>>79666041
Actually, I've yet to hear any Amadeus hate. I think he's being passively accepted.
>>
>>79665075
No hero is ever really "replaced"
>>
>>79665096
DC heroes go through countless iterations, but the second it happens at marvel

>not ma whites!! dont take ma whites!!
>>
>>79665066
What agenda does Kamala even push?
The "Muslims are human beings too and immigrants still are different from people grown up in the US" agenda?
Heaven forfend we accept strange people as humans in the Tristate area.
What she really is, is Sana Amanat's self-insert.
>>
>>79665418
No. He is literally an illegal alien. As opposed to, say, and English man in New York.
>>
>>79667779
There ARE a lot of Muslims in the Tristate area, I live in upstate NY where everyone is a Dutch/German son of a farmer and every so often there's just a random gal in a headscarf walking down the street.
Also lots of Mormons. But they walk down the street wearing white shirts and black neckties/pants... Are there any Mormon superheroes?
>>
>>79667876
And he's renounced the presumed citizenship that everyone believed he had.
We need to build a Kryptonite wall...
>>
>>79664924
Because many of the new ones are inserted into popular heroes' shoes poorly.
Jane picked up the hammer because Nick Fury whispered something in Thor's ear (and Sif and/or Grunhilde are better Asgardian heroines anyway)
Miles came around due to Ultimate Peter dying, and his run has had way too much "You're TOTALLY spider-man and everyone accepts that" from the cast, other-dimensional Peters, resurrected Ultimate Peter (and his venom blast is utter boring bullshit)
Kamala's cool, she can stay
Sam'll just never be as cool a name as Dick Rider
Laura had to go back on her "I'm my own person, I'm not Wolverine" thing to be wolverine (and why did someone clone a clone? Why did they clone Laura sans regeneration? What does fem-wolverine have to offer?)

Basically, they're written like shit/have shitty reasons for being so people treat them like shit
Not to mention that, instead of being original, Marvel just wants to cash in other hero's popularity and hand it over to minority characters and that's just cheap.
>>
>>79668089
With the power of magical underwear and superhuman credulity?
>>
>>79668337
That first thing's just a question of writing: FalCap had a great first story run fighting hydra for S.H.I.E.L.D. (ending was weak though) but then the stories turned all details political instead of fun adventures and they began to suck superhard. That's not on the character, that's on the writer. And Jane gets magically transformed into genderbender Thor just like how the original identity of Dr. Blake was a normal guy until he was transformed into a completely different person. Miles sucks at this, yeah, but so did Peter. That's what being a young Spiderman is.
-I actually don't like Kamala. But she can stay.
-Sam should go by "Snap" Wilson. I love that name, it's just so black'sploitation.
-They need to put Vampilee in that book and reprise her old Wolverine sidekick role.

And that last bit I have to disagree with: This is Marvel being original. This is something that nobody would have ever expected and wouldn't/couldn't have been done anywhere else. And it's crazy risky controversial shit like this that made the original heros so popular in the first place.
>>
>>79669115
>hor just like how the original identity of Dr. Blake was a normal guy until he was transformed into a completely different person.
Didn't Donald Blake hold the soul of Thor trapped in mortal form because reasons (I'd imagine Loki)
>Miles sucks at this, yeah, but so did Peter. That's what being a young Spiderman is.
Sucks at what? What's being a young Spider-man?
>>
>>79669115
>This is Marvel being original.

Then the house of ideas must be condemned
>>
>>79668511

-having absorbed a lifetime of background Utah radiation the mild-mannered Richard Romney one day discovered his amazing super abilities and fueled by his mega Mormon morality met his prophesied fate as Utah-Man!-
>>
>>79665025
>your are too stupid
>your are
>>
>>79669467
>not Mor-Man
>>
>>79669219
>because reasons (I'd imagine Loki)
I thought it was Odin forcing Thor to learn Humility by living the life of a mortal? (I'm pretty sure that that's where the bit in the movie where Odin gets pissed at his smugness and boots him out of Asgard came from).
>>
>>79669115
All-New Wolverine is actually pretty close to the plot of Orphan Black.
And just about every other cloning plot.
>>
>>79665229
He is Irish/Mexican. So... no he isn't.
>>
File: KOT10802-CLASSIC-THOR.jpg (58 KB, 398x564) Image search: [Google]
KOT10802-CLASSIC-THOR.jpg
58 KB, 398x564
>>79669219
1st: Yes, Blake had Thor's soul. Humanity and amnesia was a curse put on Thor by Odin himself to teach Thor humility, but the hammer would temporarily break the curse. Of course, if apart from the hammer for too long he would change back. To go back to his regular life he would sometimes throw it into the sky and let it fly around the earth until he called for it. Basically the same mechanics the Thoreplacement now lives with.
2nd: Miles doesn't know what he's doing, and admits that outright in a lot of comics.
>>
>>79666041
I don't think actual Cap readers have any problem with Sam as Cap; I don't. Thor is not a good book so the vitriol is deserved. Are Hulk readers actually rustled by Chulk?
>>
>>79669997
Correction: Thor (as a god) didn't even have a mortal soul until he became human.
>>
>>79670066
Really? You're A-okay with a black Captain America but you're still racist enough to casually throw out a "clever" Asian slur?
Steve would be so disappointed in you.
>>
>>79670259
>racist enough to casually throw out a "clever" Asian slur?
>Chulk=Cho+Hulk
You're retarded, anon.
>>
>>79669765
He's not a He-Man character.
>>
>>79665066
????
Falcon was created to be a token black sidekick. Jane was turned into Thor in one of the MOST blatant attempts at pandering in recent history.

It doesn't even bother me, but the agenda is absolutely there (though it's just an attempt to tap into other demographics and not some conspiracy against the white man)
>>
>>79670354
Think it out...
>>
>>79667229
>>79666041
No one talks shit about cho for the same reason people who actually read comics don't care about the falcon being cap. The idea at least.

it kinda makes sense. Half of Amadeuses story revolves are hulk and a bro with the strength of the hulk. It is a real mantle passing instead of a blatant agenda being push.

Plus cho is rad as fuck. He was the perfect partner to herc and if all this other shit wasn't going on his inclusion as a new hulk would have been a highpoint. It still is but lessened bc of this other shit
>>
>>79670464
There's nothing to think about. You're just looking for things to be offended by.
>>
>>79670521
I think he thinks you're asian and clever for using the word vitriol.
>>
>>79665163
Falcon and Cap have had a loooong relationship
>>
>>79669115
>FalCap had a great first story run fighting hydra for S.H.I.E.L.D. (ending was weak though) but then the stories turned all details political instead of fun adventures and they began to suck superhard.
I remember /co/ barely talking about that first arc, so it seems a lot of the people here are much more interested in political stories.
>>
>>79670521
>You're just looking for things to be offended by.
That's pretty much the entire SJW playbook.
>>
>>79670547
I am not even the same guy who made that post, I just pointed out the /co/ naming convention.
>Cho+Hulk=Chulk
>Thor+Horse=Thorse
>She+Hulk=Shulk
>Woman+Thor=Whor
>>
>>79664924
>implying /co/ likes John Stewart
>implying /co/ cares about Firestorm
>implying anyone cares about female Dr. Light
>>
>>79670721
If they hadn't drawn out the mystery, she might be Jhor or Fhor, but Whor's here to stay
>>
>>79670259
Wut
>>79670464
No really, what are you implying?
>>
>>79670521
>>79670547
Play dumb all you want, I'm not writing the word that you combined with Hulk just to prove my point.
>>
>>79670766
>>implying /co/ likes John Stewart
I don't think anyone particularly hates him
Though Green Lantern is a more of a title than a name. There's an army of the buggers already.
>>
>>79670786
It just roll off the tongue, doesn't it? It's a pity cause Jhor an Fhor looks like real nordic names.
>>
File: 1450774243728.jpg (110 KB, 651x600) Image search: [Google]
1450774243728.jpg
110 KB, 651x600
>>79670816
Ya know, this screenshot is the last time I remember anyone using chink
gook seems more current
>>
>>79670882
Wait, is it interchangeable like that? I always thought it was:
>chink=chinese
>gook=korean
>nip or jap=japanese
>charlie=vietnamese
>>
>>79670786
And this is why we can't have nice threads.
At least admit to yourself that the joy you find in all your taunting is because you think racism and sexism is funny.
>>
>>79670982
I thought gook was catchall for asians
but I'm by no means fluent in asian racial slurs
What are the Laotian? Louts?
>>
>>79670994
Not that guy, but I enjoy wordplay. I mean I toss out words like nigger and chink, but I'm not any more or less racist than the next guy.
>>
>>79671103
Gook is specifically Korean. Mi gook = America in Korean. During the Korean war, you would have Koreans shouting Mi gook at American soldiers in support, cue thousands of soldiers hearing them identifying themselves as "gook".
>>
File: Hugo_Weaving_as_Red_Skull.jpg (4 KB, 250x296) Image search: [Google]
Hugo_Weaving_as_Red_Skull.jpg
4 KB, 250x296
>>79664924
It's a total mystery.
Maybe it has more to do with the character of those making cruel and insulting comments that belittle IRL people than with the comic characters themselves...? Maybe? You think?
See what I did there? The link between "character" and "characters"?
How some people IRL reflect certain fictional people in comics...?
How they see themselves, or should see themselves in a particular character?
There's a whole mirroring element there in how some people can no longer see themself in the heroes who the evil sociopathic villian characters hate so much.
Who would these people relate to now?
>>
File: Godwin's Law.png (269 KB, 369x363) Image search: [Google]
Godwin's Law.png
269 KB, 369x363
>>79671759
>>
>>79671870
Why are you bringing up the single most defensive example of POLITICAL CORRECTNESS ???
The thing people use to demand conformity so as not to hurt anyone's unique special little butterfly feelings?
Why are you making that cry for attention/help?
>>
>>79672059
"Special little SNOWFLAKE."
I called you a special little BUTTERFLY. Silly me.
You're a SPECIAL LITTLE SNOWFLAKE demanding everyone be nice to fragile you.
Aren't you?
>>
>>79671759
You can't relate to characters that don't look like you? Isn't that a character flaw of yours?
>>
>>79665075
Like John Stewart, Jaime Reyes, and Ryan Choi?
>>
>>79667876
You say coffee I take team my dear
>>
>>79669115
>Captain America
>Not Politcal

Are you fucking retarded?
>>
Is that right? Did I get that right this time?
Is the whiney defensive anon who can't face being called out on who and what he is a special little snowflake? Or a special little cupcake, maybe?
I just don't know. Can anyone tell me what kind of delicate little thing this guy is?
>>
>>79665515
Do you even comics?
>>
>>79670599
Not to read, to have cliche angry fan rants.
>>
ITT: People who don't read comics
>>
>>79672320
ITB:People who don't read comics
>>
...Maybe it's "special little flower-petal"???
>>
Special little teacup? Those are fragile...
>>
>>79670982
>>79671103

It's interchangable among racist plebians and moronic SJWs. 4chan is infamous for being the internet hate machine. A higher standard applies here. Being correct and precise matters. If you call a chopari a gweilo, you're a mouthbreathing moron.

Hanguk, Nippon, Vietcong, Goo Goo. These are the origin words of those terms.

>What are the Laotian? Louts?
They count as Hmong.

English speakers don't have enough contact with them to develop a specific national term. Vietnamese or Chinese on the other hand do have specific terms, of which I'm not familiar with.
>>
>>79665119
Hal's fans sent Ron Marz death threats.
>>
>>79664924
So that people can stop calling this place /co/mblr
>>
>>79665018
>>79664969
I don't agree with the 'agenda' terminology, but the gist of it all is more or less right.

I have no problem with any character being any race or creed or colour.

But that character needs to stand on its own two feet.

You can't just take the oppressed demographic of the week, dress them in someone else's costume, give them lame half-assed characterization and expect that shit to fly.

Kamala stands out because she really legitimately has an interesting perspective that we haven't seen in comics before, and because despite her third generation hand-me-down name she has a superhero persona + costume of her own.
What can we say about the others? Jane foster was a lame blond love interest character with absolutely nothing interesting or unique about her. Now they put her in someone else's clothes and and get her to shout vaguely 'empowering' language at her foes and kick their asses with POWER....

I'm disappointed. I would have thought that people who write stories for a living would have figured out that the ability to kick people's asses simply isn't compelling without some kind of drama or struggle to go with it. Jane Foster was a boring cardboard cutout of a character without powers. Giving her Thor's hammer doesn't make her any better.

I'll be first to admit that I don't know much about falcon, so I'm not going to touch that one.

I will posit a question to people who know better, however:

What details of Sam Wilson's characterization can you recall, off the top of your head, other than the fact that he's black?
>>
File: NOV150784.jpg (74 KB, 646x1000) Image search: [Google]
NOV150784.jpg
74 KB, 646x1000
>>79675394
First thing, tell me what you think made Donald Blake interesting or unique?
Now Falcon is interesting and unique though, I'd LOVE to tell you about him but his origin story is basically a rorschach test. You'll hate it.
>>
>>79675692
Donald Blake is not thor. They got rid of donald blake along with jane foster as fast as they fucking could because they were no fun at all.
>>
>>79675853
...and Clark Kent is not Superman. He's a cowardly reporter who is no fun at all. Why do they keep him around?
>>
>>79667511
I don't see a black batman or an asian superman taking the mantle of the originals and being better than them
>>
>>79675943
Clark Kent is superman acting like a doofus to hide himself. That's not lame. That's just more of superman doing his thing.

Donald Blake was a totally separate persona that was created by Odin as a prison for Thor. At some point they realized that one of these characters had depth and the other did not. So they got rid of one of them and avoided mentioning it ever again.

You know they actually did this same thing with Carol and Ms Marvel in the original run? Carol Danvers would black out and a Ms Marvel persona would surface.

Only with carol it was the other way around -- Mr Marvel was the flat badly characterized device, while Carol Danvers was rounded and interesting.

When they got around to dropping that conceit, she just became carol all the time.
>>
>>79674689
This, it feels fake and tryhard as fuck thou.
>>
>>79664924
Because people are used to old characters and don't want any significant change.
>>
>>79665119
>Dick starts as Robin and almost 50 years later he becomes Batman

>Benis Martysue comes out of nowhere and he is the ULTIMATE Spider-man

Oh yeah totally the same thing retard
>>
>>79676531
Well, you still haven't learned the value of humanizing Thor but showing an ample understanding of secret identity intricacies has convinced me that someone at least cares about who's behind the masks.

Sam Wilson, The Falcon, began his comic history as someone Original Captain America met in South America when fighting a group of NeoNazi throwaway villians. Poor Sam got mixed up with them when his small plane went down in the South American jungle, he found his way to a small villiage with the help of Redwing, the falcon Sam inexplicably shared a telepathic connection to. Needing money to get home, having personal knowledge of the Jungle, and literally having a bird'seye view of the landscape, he sold his talents as a jungle guide to the wrong people. Cap saves/teams up with/befriends him and happy to see anouther NYC native so far from home, makes him a traveling companion, and eventual sidekick. Later on Tony Stark makes him that flying backpack wingsuit so that the name "Falcon" makes more sense and he has at least one non-suck ability.
Where did the sucky bird-pathic powers come from? Why was he alone in that single engine plane flying over the South American jungle? Why did it crash?
Sam Wilson can't say about the limited telepathy, or the crash, but the reason he remembers for travelling so far outside of Harlem is to continue his dead father's missionary and aid relief work.
But here's the kicker: The original Red Skull has claimed the true origin is his own evil manipulations using the reality-warping cosmic cube. In a conviluted plan to make Steve Rogers lose faith in minorities the Red Skull says he set up the entire South America situation, bird-talk powers, crash, and even claims he reality-altered Wilson into becoming an ideal friend and sidekick for Rogers who would inevitbly betray Cap. Why would that happen? Because Red Skull claimed Sam Wilson was originally the criminal thug "Snap" Wilson smuggling drugs in that plane.
>>
>>79677579
Haha for real? Sauce?
>>
File: 1408642944362.png (103 KB, 235x229) Image search: [Google]
1408642944362.png
103 KB, 235x229
>>79664924
I don't hate them, in fact I like them (we're talking about something very generalized) enough that I'm willing to be hard on these concepts just like I am for any concept.I don't think /co/ has an issue ether and it's more them not articulating their thoughts in a way that can't turned around into something stupid like the shitstorm that happened with Korra and people coming to the conclusion that /co/ hates homosexuals.

The problems people have with characters like these comes down to the execution rather then any form of bigotry. An example is X-23 complaining about people on the internet saying mean things about her or other similar events. There's a lot of pointless bickering and baiting on both sides rather then coming to an understanding. I don't even have a foundness of how minority capes were written in the past, the 70s was fucking shit in retrospect but we barely learned from the mistakes of the past. I also hate how with barely any exceptions minority capes have to have "The Struggle" be one of the biggest focuses of their character leading into some hamfisted social commentary, it really holds us back because we just accept that shit.

Any thoughts on this?
>>
File: OCT140853.jpg (24 KB, 377x600) Image search: [Google]
OCT140853.jpg
24 KB, 377x600
>>79678196
You can wikiconfirm this all, but the real question is - IF - the Red Skull was telling the truth? He is a lying Nazi troll. But then there's the bird telpathy...
And if reality was changed, does it even matter? Snap Wilson, sleaze, was retconned into Sam Wilson, saint. Doesn't that mean he's as real as all post-retcon changes???
Who knows? Marvel intentionally never resolved any of these questions.
But if you always think less of some people you'll feel one way, if you give people the benifit of the doubt you feel otherwise.
He's a purely political character in every respect.
The Hydra villians even taunt him with this question in that first Falcon-as-Captain story. It always seriously messes with Sam's head.
>>
I'm fine with minority heroes when they're new and original heroes.
I'm not fine with a minority character replacing an existing hero for no great reason in universe to pander to a certain audience
>>
>>79678660
So basically you're exactly the type
of person OP is talking about.
>>
>>79679006
No, OP seems to be talking about people who hate currently minority characters yet are perfectly fine with older examples like John Stewart or the All-New All-Different X-Men "replacing" white heroes.
>>
File: 1321423439694-Clone-of-Logan.jpg (30 KB, 517x725) Image search: [Google]
1321423439694-Clone-of-Logan.jpg
30 KB, 517x725
>>79678660
Well that's only actually true with Amadehulk.
Thor Odinson can''t lift the hammer and was on this whole soul-searching quest to redeem his worthiness when he disappeared, pretty good character development for a god who always had a hubris problem. But Thor Odinson and the Thoreplacement were BOTH active heroes at the same time. Thor even stayed a full Avenger without the hammer.
Same with Captain America. Marvel has been replacement happy with Captain America forever. U.S.Agent and Bucky both took up the shield before longtime sidekick Falcon (it's just his turn now) and Steve's in the same S.H.I.E.L.D.uniform as when Bucky was Captain, and is still a main character in the Avengers comics.
And Wolverine has been dead for (too many) years now. Womanverine is the logical heir as the literal fem-clone heir. I don't know what good writing her away does when she's already the go-to claws mutant in New X-Men but I too do hate that stupid New Wolverine comic.
There's logical groundwork making most of this reasonable, it's just the intentional timing it all together that makes it overkill.
>>
>>79679066
So you're fine with legacy heroes just not minorities?
>>
>>79679215
What? No, that's not what I meant. What I mean was I read OP as if he was wondering why people are bothered by Captain Falcon yet no one is going "NIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERS" about John Stewart.
>>
>>79679248
I'm also actually this guy >>79678199 and not the person you first replied to.
>>
>>79679215
Falcon wasn't Cap's sidekick, they just worked together a lot. Falcon should have stayed Falcon because that's his thing and Bucky should have taken over again if they really needed to get rid of Steve. Bucky is Cap's Robin
>>
>>79674521
Hal fans are fags
>>
>>79679358
So the answer is yes, I assume. You're okay with legacy heroes just not minority ones.
>>
>>79679358
But Bucky replaced Original Nick Fury as super-secret earth protecting assassin spy.
Because Original Nick Fury replaced a dead Watcher.
Mind you, nobody is complaining about a tiny-headed Watcher, or a the-top-level S.H.I.E.L.D. spy who has both eyes.
>>
>>79679358
... and again, Steve Rogers is still a superhero.
>>
>>79668089
http://www.comicbookreligion.com/?srch=religion-Latter_day_Saint_Mormon__13
>>
>>79679474
I don't dislike minority heroes, I read some of their books. If a minority character was a white characters sidekick and then took on the mantle that would be fine. Taking away the white character solely so you can insert a minority in their place annoys me
>>
>>79679567
But who has been really taken out?
Spider-Man has his own comic (too many Spiders if you ask me), Steve Rogers leads a team, we get a standalone for other-dimension Logan, Odinson has only really been gone a short while and we are bound to hear about it later when the arc about him being gone and things going to shit ends with him deus ex machina - ing on the scene with Ultimate Thor's hammer.
For me everything would be fine if they just cut Jane out of Thor and they would stop hiring monkeys to write Queen of Hel. Seriously, how do you fuck up Battle Angel Angela going full Orpheus?
Is that the reason Wilson rotates ist of A-Force? Because nobody else can write women at Marvel? Well, I would not object.
>>
>>79665086
>crusade against straight white men

Jesus Christ, how much of a baby are you.
>>
>>79670445
>Jane was turned into Thor in one of the MOST blatant attempts at pandering in recent history.
Yes, but Jane herself wasn't created to push an agenda. She was created to be Donald Blake's love interest.
>>
>>79665386
>Dr. Light, John Stewart, Kaldur, Bronze Age X-Men
Not replacements
>Rayner
Originally White
>>
>>79670826
Well, a lot of us hate his fan base. Because they have enough of a persecution complex to make an extreme paranoid look sane, and they're usually cartoonfags.
>>
>>79681233
The Bronze x men WERE
>>
>>79681605
I don't really read Marvel, but wasn't their original goal to find the O5? Anyway, they didn't take the identities of the originals, and I thought those guys showed up again soon after.
>>
>>79667779
>What agenda does Kamala even push?
To create a new Spider-Man without actually creating a Spider-Man?
>>
>>79681664
they replaced them as "The" X-Men the o5 were mostly phased out
Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.