[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cartoons And Animes Pick /co/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 164
Thread images: 36
File: animevscartoons_1.jpg (44 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
animevscartoons_1.jpg
44 KB, 320x200
Which do you enjoy more? Do you restrict yourself only to Cartoons? or you simply watch both? In my case i enjoy Cartoons more but is getting harder to find a very good show.
>>
File: Smug Medic.jpg (12 KB, 191x234) Image search: [Google]
Smug Medic.jpg
12 KB, 191x234
I don't care which nationality animated something. If there is something I like I watch or read it
>>
I have a hard time finding Anime I enjoy. But when I find a show I like it is really something.
>>
>>79130610
I don't have autism, so I watch/read whatever I find enjoyable.
>>
>>79130610
>anime
as long as it isn't 4kids/Saban shit, I don't care.
>>
>>79130610
I just watch both. Though with anime I tend to stick with more action/adventure series because western animation has massively dropped the ball on action cartoons in recent years.
>>
>>79130610
your average cartoon wants to last forever, and gets canned abruptly
your average anime knows it only has 12 or 26 episodes at a time, so at least tries to make the end of each season a satisfying finale when they can

anime also allocates its budget according to the potential appeal of the scene. fight scenes and climactic speeches and stuff get focus, while talking heads and misc traveling is done with as many shortcuts as possible. This appeals to conservation of detail and is more likeley to produce truly iconic scenes
>>
>>79130610
Cartoons. There I said it.
>>
>Anime
Manga is better
>Cartoons
Comics are better.
>>
>>79130610
cartoons are an audio-visual medium. anime has better audio and visuals.
>>
I haven't really watched Western animation since my early teens or so. Nothing about it interests me. Even at the best of times it's just poor man's anime.
>>
>>79130610
I watch both and also read both manga and comics
>>
>>79130860
>action/adventure
Huh? Most seasons are focused on sol.
I havent saw a good action anime in ages. Currently watching Gundam IBO
>>
>>79130610
My autism doesn't let me enjoy more than two things. So is only Comics and Cartoons for me. Even tho i like Anime
>>
File: intro.webm (2 MB, 640x457) Image search: [Google]
intro.webm
2 MB, 640x457
>>79130610
I enjoy animu more. There just seems to be a lot more variety with anime and manga in general. There are no real Western equivalents to stuff like Serial Experiments Lain and Millennium Actress, for example. Just more stuff.
>>
>>79130701
this desu senpai
>>
I already watched all the anime, so I moved on to western stuff
>>
>>79132706
same other one with good action is Dimension W
>>
>>79132706
There were about 20 action/adventure type shows last season.
>>
File: 1453226786566.jpg (193 KB, 750x700) Image search: [Google]
1453226786566.jpg
193 KB, 750x700
So how many of you are hybrid bastards of /m/ /co/ & /a/ like me ?
>>
I prefer Anime because Western shit is mostly comedy that doesn't appeal to me and almpst no action shows anymore.
But I still enjoy Western comics and watching The Boondocks or The Venture Bros.
>>
File: Shomin-Sample.png (1 MB, 720x1007) Image search: [Google]
Shomin-Sample.png
1 MB, 720x1007
>>79132838
From which i could only enjoy IBO
Comet Lucifer was a 5/10 at best
OPM was more comedy than action
Burst/Asterisk/Rakudai were generic harem/magic school.
I enjoyed more Shomin Sample and HackaDoll TBQH
>>
>>79130610
What is this thread? Anime and cartoons is the same.
>>
>>79132926
/a/ and /co/ for me. Just started Arc-V pretty comfy so far
>>
>>79133140
They're not even remotely the same.
>>
File: 1451779740912.jpg (356 KB, 600x500) Image search: [Google]
1451779740912.jpg
356 KB, 600x500
>>79133143
>comfy
Oh you poor soul
>>
File: lain.webm (428 KB, 636x478) Image search: [Google]
lain.webm
428 KB, 636x478
http://strawpoll.me/6588240/r
>>
File: 1452455924412.webm (2 MB, 1280x718) Image search: [Google]
1452455924412.webm
2 MB, 1280x718
>>79132926
Pretty much all three. Right now though I'm pretty into Kamen Rider. Halfway done with Faiz.
>>
>>79130610
There's some good western animation that mimics anime, but is there good anime that mimics western animation?
>>
File: 1451165415544.jpg (361 KB, 1280x1266) Image search: [Google]
1451165415544.jpg
361 KB, 1280x1266
>>79130610
I adore animation in general.
>>
>>79133232
Anime and cartoons is the same, dude.
>>
File: psg.jpg (84 KB, 848x480) Image search: [Google]
psg.jpg
84 KB, 848x480
>>79133327
Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt?
>>
>>79133232
They are both done by japanese studios. Westerners just send the scripts and character designs overseas. Slap some american VA and your done.
>>
>>79133398
I've heard of it, I might check it out. Thanks!
>>
>>79133408
It's mostly done by Koreans, m8. And the Japs do the same thing, though I couldn't say which one does this more often.
>>
>>79133398
^this and opm ? Its like superman only difference is that sups dosent go full force
>>
>>79133450
Still asians.
>>
>>79133351
And how are they the same? Their foundational philosophies are completely different: Americans assume animation is for children, the Japanese assume it's for everyone. American animation is rooted in Disney's idea of animation as a stage performance, while anime emulates cinema. American animation hardly ventures beyond children's/family entertainment and comedies for adults, whereas anime does just about everything live action does. The animation techniques employed by American animation and anime are also very different.

There are very few similarities between the two. Saying that they are the same is the pinnacle of absurdity.

>>79133450
Japanese productions outsource some of their work. Big difference.
>>
>>79130761

Yeah. A lot of anime is even shittier shit than shitty western cartoons.

But fuck me if a western studio ever makes something like Kids on the Slope.
>>
>>79133486
Yeah, but I wouldn't compare them. A buttblasted Korean might get offended that you're comparing him to the inferior Japanese piggus.
>>
>>79133450
I recall that TFA was made by a jap studio. Im pretty certain some off them have in house talent
>>
>>79133536
TFA? What's that? The only thing I associate TFA with is The Force Awakens.
>>
>>79133536
>Im pretty certain some off them have in house talent
Most of the production work in anime is done in Japan.
>>
File: 181.jpg (350 KB, 1016x1600) Image search: [Google]
181.jpg
350 KB, 1016x1600
>>79133509
>animation is for children
Venture bros
Rick and Morthy
Are these for children?
Soon got go back
Back to the past
>>
File: senki.jpg (136 KB, 753x1081) Image search: [Google]
senki.jpg
136 KB, 753x1081
Reign the Conqueror.
Its american, its jap, its fucking amazing.
>>
>>79133679
Read what I said again:
>Americans assume animation is for children
It is Americans--not I--who assume animation is for children. And because of this assumption, almost all of their animation IS for children.

Yes, you can find exceptions. But they are just that: exceptions. And very few of them stray as far away from children's animation as anime does.
>>
>>79132926
Same as you man but I don't go to /a/ very often
>>79130610
I like both but I like action shows and there haven't been many currently airing action toons outside of TMNT and that Transformers show that airs at 6 am. The only anime I'm currently watching ate DBS for nostalgia purposes, Garo, and Durarara. I mostly watch toku and raff comics now.
>>
File: omega party.jpg (135 KB, 862x716) Image search: [Google]
omega party.jpg
135 KB, 862x716
>>79133611
Transformers Animated its a great show imho Id recommend it.
>>
>>79133509
>And how are they the same?

They're stories told with animated pictures. You can literally do anything you want with animation. It's not bound by your narrowminded views or what you think the 'definition' of 'cartoons' is, you fucking idiot.

'Anime' and 'cartoons' are animated programs. Any perceived difference in what they are is entirely in your head.
>>
>>79133679
Not the same guy, but those are both comedy shows and Samurai Jack is for children. Hell, I like all of those shows and don't really take issue with them, but most (not all) modern Western animation tends to fall into this. It's either an adult comedy or a kid's show. There aren't a whole lot of recent exceptions to this.
>>
>>79133749
To be honest, even in Japan, animation is considered for Children to some standards.
Gundam had a massive controversy with parents over an implied sex scene, Bebop had some of its violence tuned down and Miyazaki movies are seen like Disney movies (in the "its childish" sort of manner).
>>
>>79133749
The Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park have a adult audience in mind. So i guess it ain't that common belief that animation is just for kids
>>
>>79133724
This anon knows what he's talking about.
>>
>>79133509
>n-no! I don't watch cartoons! That's kids stuff. I only watch anime because it's for mature individuals such as myself. So pls no bully ;_;

You are the dumbest person I've seen on /co/ in a while.
>>
/co/ threads like this one are more comfy that /a/ threads
>>
>>79133945
Yeah, but less people know what they're talking about.
>>
>>79133945
Than*
>Smartphone for ants
>>
>>79133799
>They're stories told with animated pictures.
Which doesn't make them the same, as I just helpfully explained.

>You can literally do anything you want with animation. It's not bound by your narrowminded views or what you think the 'definition' of 'cartoons' is, you fucking idiot.
And yet American animation doesn't do just anything with animation, and IS bound by "my" views. In America, the prevailing belief is that animation is for children and should follow a "cartoonish" style. And that's the kind of animation that gets produced, as a result. It has nothing to do with me; I am just stating how things are.

>Any perceived difference in what they are is entirely in your head.
So differences in character design are all in my head? Differences in animation techniques are all in my head? Differences in character archetypes, story conventions, genre, subject matter and cultural elements are all in my head? Differences in background art and music are all in my head?

>>79133848
When Gundam aired, there was no late night anime or OVAs. Anime was still at least nominally aimed at mostly children, and aired during the appropriate hours. Gundam was one of the key shows in developing an adult anime fandom that eventually did lead to late night anime and OVAs.

And it doesn't matter if there are people in Japan who think all animation is for children. The people who make and view anime don't think so, and that's what counts.

There are also differences in how the Japanese and Americans think of children's animation. Pokemon for example was altered and censored for the American market because some of it was deemed inappropriate for children. Miyazaki's Spirited Away, despite being aimed at 10 year old girls, won movie of the year in Japan as well as a Golden Bear.

>>79133863
Have you ever noticed that Simpsons, FG and SP and shows similar to them have something in common? They are all comedies. That is, they are not intended to be taken seriously.
>>
>>79133901
Cartoons/American animation and anime are two very different things.
>>
>>79133327
Space Dandy
>>
>>79134174
No, they aren't.
>>
>>79130610
I prefer comedy, so cartoons definitely since they work with my western senisbilities better. I only watch anime like once every 4 months.

Also
>>79131073
>manga is better
Definitely
>comics are better
Nah. Still good on their own, which you can't really say for anime since they're direct adaptations that are inferior to the source material most of the time.
>>
File: dndy.jpg (31 KB, 620x310) Image search: [Google]
dndy.jpg
31 KB, 620x310
>>79133327
>>
>>79134128
>So differences in character design are all in my head? Differences in animation techniques are all in my head? Differences in character archetypes, story conventions, genre, subject matter and cultural elements are all in my head? Differences in background art and music are all in my head?

You are really fucking stupid. That doesn't mean they're completely different things.

Cartoons are a medium, not a genre, you pretentious faggot.
>>
>>79134224
I don't see how Space Dandy mimicks Western animation.

>>79134238
I've already explained why they are.

But feel free to point out where I can find American versions of, say, Haibane Renmei, Emma, Tatami Galaxy, Sweet Blue Flowers, Psycho-Pass, Steins;Gate, Tokyo Ghoul, Jin-Roh, Memories, The Wind Rises, Perfect Blue and Akira.

>>79134326
>That doesn't mean they're completely different things.
That's exactly what they mean. If they have nothing in common then what makes them the same? Why are people always talking about them as being two different things, have different names for them, and separate fandoms?

>Cartoons are a medium, not a genre, you pretentious faggot.
I never said anything medium or genre, and there is nothing pretentious about pointing out facts.
>>
File: 1414158758707.jpg (23 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
1414158758707.jpg
23 KB, 500x376
>>79134128
>anime isn't cartoonish most of the time
>the only western cartoons that exist are American
>comedies aren't to be taken seriously
>>
>>79134377
>they have nothing in common
I know hyperbole is cool and all, but that doesn't make sense anon. Get a grip.
Fun fact: the Japanese call western and japanese animation "anime" anyway.
>>
>>79134377
>I've already explained why they are.

You explained why you think anime and cartoons are different genres, while they aren't. They're animation. Animation are different styles.

Sci-fi movies and romance movies are both still movies, even if they do different things.

>I never said anything medium or genre, and there is nothing pretentious about pointing out facts.

You are incredibly pretentious and you're not pointing out anything other than the fact that you're clearly a tourist here and a colossal faggot. Pls return to reddit.
>>
>>79134377
>If they have nothing in common then what makes them the same?

The fact that they're animated? Why is this hard for you to understand. How are Swat Katz and Samurai Jack both cartoons when they're both completely different stylistically, musically, tonally, etc. as you say makes cartoons and anime different? You don't know what you're talking about, dude.

>Why are people always talking about them as being two different things, have different names for them, and separate fandoms?

Because those people are stupid and want to be special snowflakes. That much is obvious.
>>
Anime was way better as a teenager, and the medium still has, by far, the more creative and interesting premises. After a decade of consuming series after series, though, it's easy to start to see the patterns and to begin to be annoyed at the little things you have to put up with to enjoy the stories. I'm so tired of fanservice and of characters that can't just come out and say what needs to be said. Cartoons have their own issues, too, but they can be a breath of fresh air when you get sick of every show having to have a preteen girl pose "sexily" in the OP.
>>
>>79134405
>anime isn't cartoonish most of the time
It's not.

>the only western cartoons that exist are American
99% of the time that's what we're talking about, and it's easier to focus on just American animation. It's commonly considered the pinnacle of animation anyway.

>comedies aren't to be taken seriously
That's what makes them appropriate for adults in America. Because they aren't meant to be taken seriously, it's ok for adults to watch them. When adults take animation seriously, as anime fans do, it's considered arrested development.

>>79134453
This stupid semantic argument again? If I call a chair a flute, does that make it a flute? If I call a car a plane, can it fly? No and no. Anime is defined by what it is, not by what it's called.

>>79134457
I explained some of the many, many things that make them completely different from each other. When two things are completely different, they are not likely to be the same thing. This should be logic 101.

>Sci-fi movies and romance movies are both still movies, even if they do different things.
Which doesn't tell us anything about the differences between American animation and anime.

>You are incredibly pretentious and you're not pointing out anything other than the fact that you're clearly a tourist here and a colossal faggot.
No, I pointed out facts. There is nothing pretentious about that.

>Pls return to reddit.
What the hell are you talking about?
>>
>>79134555
Do you think you'd say the same thing about cartoons if you predominately watched those instead of anime?
>>
>>79134377
This idiot can't be serious. This is just trolling, right?
>>
File: 1404923803909.jpg (9 KB, 129x136) Image search: [Google]
1404923803909.jpg
9 KB, 129x136
>>79134377
>being this stupid on purpose
>>
>>79134518
>The fact that they're animated?
Doesn't make them the same.

>How are Swat Katz and Samurai Jack both cartoons when they're both completely different stylistically, musically, tonally, etc. as you say makes cartoons and anime different?
There are vast differences between American animation and anime in almost every conceivable area.

>You don't know what you're talking about, dude.
I'm the only one in this thread who does.

>Because those people are stupid and want to be special snowflakes
If they were the same thing people would have never gotten the idea to conceive of them as two different things that need different names and separate fandoms. And, as I've established, they indeed are not the same thing. At all.
>>
>>79134405
>>the only western cartoons that exist are American

Then lets have this super enlightened anon lay down the law and tell us what we should call French cartoons, since they're clearly not the same thing as American cartoons or ANIME.
>>
>>79134609
>It's not.
It is.
>99% of the time that's what we're talking about, and it's easier to focus on just American animation. It's commonly considered the pinnacle of animation anyway.
You could just say you don't watch non-American western cartoons anon.
>That's what makes them appropriate for adults in America. Because they aren't meant to be taken seriously, it's ok for adults to watch them. When adults take animation seriously, as anime fans do, it's considered arrested development.
What kind of an empty statemenet is that?
>This stupid semantic argument again?
You started it by pointing out that we refer to them by different names, you stupid faggot.

God you suck at this.
>>
>>79134555
If you think every show has a "preteen girl posing 'sexily'," it means you have no idea what you're talking about and are either generalizing based on a couple of shows or just repeating what other people have told you. Westerners blow "fanservice" out of proportion in general. They can't stop talking about it, think everything revolves around it, and think it's absolutely everywhere.

>>79134660
How is it trolling to make factual statements?

>>79134663
How is it stupid to make factual statements?
>>
File: 1385412963340.png (53 KB, 316x165) Image search: [Google]
1385412963340.png
53 KB, 316x165
>>79134680
>I'm the only one in this thread who does.

Okay, thread over. Go home, everyone.
>>
>>79134680
>I'm the only one in this thread who does

Oh boy, here we go.
>>
>>79134660
>>79134663
God I fucking hope that's what it is.
>>
>>79134680
>>79134377
I hope to Zeus on Olympus that this guy is just yanking our collective chains.

I don't want to believe people this stupid exist in real life.
>>
>>79134771
You're embarrassing yourself
>>
>>79134764
>It is.
Cartoons are, at least seemingly, derived from the idea of stage plays and shows. They involve lots of singing, dancing and physical comedy. They are shot and stylized as if they were taking place on a stage. The "performers" have very exaggerated motions and gestures and are often anthropomorphic animals. The music works more like sound effects rathern a film score, closely following and punctuating the action.

This is basically what cartoons are like, and what American animation at large is derived from. Anime, on the other hand, is based on manga and cinema (and manga itself takes cues from cinema), neither of which follow this cartoon model.

>What kind of an empty statemenet is that?
How is it empty? I was just describing the mentality in America.

>You started it by pointing out that we refer to them by different names, you stupid faggot.
We, as in Westerners. The Japanese use the word in a different way.

>>79134803
>>79134804
>>79134847
>>79134874
Great arguments, keep them coming. You're so close to proving me wrong.
>>
>>79134771
Nope. Fanservice is in everything. It's really annoying. I'm gay, I don't care about underage female ass. But they have to put it in or the ota throw a bitch fit. Sometimes I just deal because I enjoy the rest of the show enough. Sometimes it's got refuge in hilarity. Most of the time I just find another show to watch. The last series I can think of that was completely devoid of it was Dennou Coil and Eden of the East and they still got close.
>>
>>79133679
both those shows are for children
>>
File: aut_alexis_superdupont_01.jpg (57 KB, 400x520) Image search: [Google]
aut_alexis_superdupont_01.jpg
57 KB, 400x520
>>79134740
The person who says there is western animation besides American cartoons is not the same person who says that anime and cartoons are inherently different.
But fine, what do you want to know about French animation?
Are you interested in its classics? Like The King and the Mockingbird, which inspired Miyazaki to think he could make animated movies for adults?
The way it's produced? How Canal+ is forced by the state to put an ungodly amount of money in producing movies and how that has impacted both animated TV shows and animated feature films in being more daring in many ways than your average American cartoon?
Or how the French animated TV shows are almost never a straight adapatation of source material, and work more similarly to the US than Japan in that regard?

Or were you just trying to be a prick?
>>
File: 1431730926275.jpg (49 KB, 704x441) Image search: [Google]
1431730926275.jpg
49 KB, 704x441
Anime and cartoons are not genres.

Animation is not a genre. It is a storytelling medium. Any percieved difference in the 'philosophy' of anime or cartoons is entirely fictional. In animation, you can literally tell any kind of story you want with whatever art you choose. It's up to you. Anime and cartoons are literally the same thing, with the only difference being what the artists choose to do with them.

Now please stop responding the troll. He has nothing better to do and will clearly keep this up until he feels he has won.
>>
>>79134965
It's not in everything, and I bet a lot of times what Westerners think is "fanservice" is actually just natural behavior like changing clothes, taking a bath or going to the beach.

>But they have to put it in or the ota throw a bitch fit.
Is that why most of the top-selling anime has little to no "fanservice"? Is that why the eternally popular Touhou Project barely even has characters dressed immodestly?

>The last series I can think of that was completely devoid of it was Dennou Coil and Eden of the East and they still got close.
Those shows are many years old. There were shows *last season* that didn't have "fanservice."
>>
>>79134648
Nope. Cartoons rarely have premises that go beyond elevator pitch. When they do, they stick religiously to classic character archetypes. Every season, a handful of anime series debut that take a few sentences to describe accurately.
>>
>>79134925
>Cartoons are, at least seemingly, derived from the idea of stage plays and shows. They involve lots of singing, dancing and physical comedy. They are shot and stylized as if they were taking place on a stage. The "performers" have very exaggerated motions and gestures and are often anthropomorphic animals. The music works more like sound effects rathern a film score, closely following and punctuating the action.
So do you watch anime at all?
>How is it empty? I was just describing the mentality in America.
You just re-stated that you don't think comedy is serious. I'm not sure what was the value of that.
>The Japanese use the word in a different way.
Yeah, that was my fucking point, wasn't it. Don't make it an objective argument only when it suits you.
>>
>>79135090
>Is that why the eternally popular Touhou Project barely even has characters dressed immodestly?
You must be trolling.
>>
>>79135051
>Any percieved difference in the 'philosophy' of anime or cartoons is entirely fictional.
I have already outlined many of the differences between the two, and none of them are fictional. Unless you're making some philosophical argument that reality is fictional, in which case we could say even the very existence of animation is fictional. Along with everything else in the known universe.

>In animation, you can literally tell any kind of story you want with whatever art you choose.
Which does not somehow mean that everyone is going to make the same kind of animation. And, indeed, America and Japan are NOT making the same kind of animation. Just like painters don't all make the same kind of paintings.

>Now please stop responding the troll.
Yes, anyone who says things you don't agree with must be trolling.

>>79135160
>So do you watch anime at all?
Yes. Your point?

>You just re-stated that you don't think comedy is serious.
I re-stated what the mentality in America is, because that's what I'm talking about.

>Yeah, that was my fucking point, wasn't it.
Your point was that something becomes anime if it's called anime, which is complete nonsense.
>>
This is the worst thread on /co/ right now. Everyone is taking the bait.
>>
>>79135181
You must be confusing Touhou character design with pornographic or erotic fan art.

https://danbooru.donmai.us/data/5e913579a88f8be526380f82b69d2409.jpg

>>79135257
How is it baiting to state facts? Please explain.
>>
File: 1384118721971.jpg (9 KB, 254x321) Image search: [Google]
1384118721971.jpg
9 KB, 254x321
>>79135051
I disagree Senpai.

Anime almost always has an eastern, mostly Japanese influence to its storytelling, character archetypes and design. It absolutely is a different genre to western cartoons.

Or are cubism and pop art the same type of art because often they are painted on the same type of canvas with the same tools?

I say this as someone who mostly doesn't care for anime.
>>
>>79135240
>Yes. Your point?
That what you described as "cartoonish" is very frequent in anime, obviously.
>I re-stated what the mentality in America is, because that's what I'm talking about.
No, you restated that comedy isn't taken seriously. Which is a really empty statement any way you want to look at it.
>Your point was that something becomes anime if it's called anime
Pfffhahaha, how the fuck was that my point?
>>
>>79135289
They're both paintings, you dolt.

You're trying way too hard.
>>
>>79135289
Yes. They're both paintings, you rube.
>>
>>79135294
>That what you described as "cartoonish" is very frequent in anime, obviously.
It isn't. Like I said, anime is based on manga and cinema which are both very different from cartoons. Anime's animation techniques are also very different from those of Disney.

>No, you restated that comedy isn't taken seriously. Which is a really empty statement any way you want to look at it.
It isn't taken seriously and that's why it's acceptable for adults to watch comedy animation in America.

>>79135326
>>79135358
And American animation and anime are both animation. And yet also completely different.
>>
>>79135277
Touhou is lolita. The designs invite erotic fanart.

Never mind the fact that Touhou is effectively half fan-made at this point. The official games barely scratch the surface of the "canon", as far as characterization is concerned.
>>
>>79130610
Cartoons all the way. The fact that it has to try to appeal means that the lessons and morals are often more subtle and have a deeper impact. Avatar outclassed any anime.
>>
>>79135277
>I swear I'm not trolling! Everything I say is right and everything you say is wrong!
>>
File: 1430970172399.jpg (38 KB, 165x424) Image search: [Google]
1430970172399.jpg
38 KB, 165x424
>>79135326
>>79135358
But the genre of painting is different. Or do you literally take art at face value?

>Ayy Picasso and Worhol are the same because they both used paint and canvas

By that logic, there is no such thing as genre within film. Sci-fi is no different to rom-com which is no different to horror because they are both put on film.
>>
>>79135397
Touhou has loli characters, e.g. Cirno. That does not somehow mean all of them are loli characters. The designs don't "invite erotic fanart" any more than anything else.

If we search for safe, questionable and explicit images on Danbooru of Marisa and Reimu (the main characters), these are the results by page count:
Marisa (safe): off the charts (too many pages, can't see the end)
Marisa (questionable: 102
Marisa (explicit): 42

Reimu (safe): off the charts
Reimu (questionable): 141
Reimu (explicit): 60

Westerners think everything is about "fanservice" because they are engaging in projection.

>>79135425
Stating facts isn't trolling.
>>
>>79135407
Let me know when American shows start grappling with ideas like those found in Serial Experiments Lain, Haibane Renmei and Psycho-Pass.
>>
>>79135395
>It isn't.
It is though. You don't watch anime, do you?
>Anime's animation techniques are also very different from those of Disney.
Yeah and everybody knows that Disney animate everything, right? Especially shit like, you know, American cartoons that are animated by japanese companies.
>It isn't taken seriously and that's why it's acceptable for adults to watch comedy animation in America.
That still doesn't mean anything considering many people take comedy very seriously.
>completely different
You don't understand what "completely" means.

Yeah I hope this was bait. Good night.
>>
Why the fuck can't America make a good/any Basketball cartoon?
>>
>>79135473
Well if we're going to go with stupid strawmen: by your logic Pulp Fiction and The Wizard of Oz are entirely different mediums.
>>
>>79130610

Old cartoons>Old anime
Modern cartoons<<Modern anime

/thread
>>
>>79135473
Painting is a medium. This jackass is suggesting that anime and cartoons are genres. They aren't. Animation is a medium. Are you also an idiot? Honest question.
>>
>>79135746
Shonen manga structure just happens to go very well with a sports story. I don't think I know of a good western sports cartoon at all, they sort of fail to treat it as action and try to use it as a vehicle for emotion, like sports movies do.
>>
File: lain's room.webm (1 MB, 649x460) Image search: [Google]
lain's room.webm
1 MB, 649x460
Since this thread is shit I'm going to try to start a different discussion concerning this same topic. Now, I know that /co/ and /a/ are not one person, and lots of people with different views frequent both of them.

However, if I had to wager a guess, I'd say that if you asked /a/ whether they enjoyed anime or cartoons better, it would likely be unanimously in favor of anime.

Yet, when asked the same question, /co/ gets a lot of conflicting opinions and there is no real consensus. Am I wrong? Why is this? Why does /co/ go either way while /a/ (most likely) prefer one option definitively?
>>
>>79132926
I'd actually bet your average capeshit lover would also enjoy some Toku, and vice versa.
>>
>>79135696
>It is though. You don't watch anime, do you?
Yes, but it seems like you don't. Or you have absolutely no idea what I meant when I described what cartoons are like. Or you can't understand how cinema differs from cartoons.

This is an example of a cartoon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM1DgihKHVI

This is an example of cinematism in anime:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG7Rg_WiXYI

>Yeah and everybody knows that Disney animate everything, right?
Disney has been incredibly influential.

>Especially shit like, you know, American cartoons that are animated by japanese companies.
They are animated according to how the client wants them to be animated.

>That still doesn't mean anything considering many people take comedy very seriously.
So what? It doesn't change what I said.

>You don't understand what "completely" means.
I've already listed numerous things that make them completely different, and the only response I've gotten is "no you're wrong they're EXACTLY the same and those alleged differences are imaginary."

>>79135817
I don't know where you think you're going with this game of semantics, but it's not going to prove that American animation and anime aren't completely different.

>>79135776
If by old anime you mean something from the 60s and earlier, then maybe.

>/thread
No.
>>
>>79135817
Western cartoons and Anime are genres within the medium of animation.

That is why Anime is so inherently eastern and western cartoons are not.

if you can't recognise the tropes the seperate the two then that's your outlook man.

Anime differs from western cartoons in a number of different ways that have been outlined in the thread, least of all culturally.

Do they both use the medium of animation? Yes. Are they of the same genre? No.

The fact that things can be inherently anime and inherently western show that isn't the case
>>
>>79132926
you had a chance to make a /co//m//a/ pun and you blew it
>>
File: Halsuke & Kilobara.jpg (635 KB, 907x1080) Image search: [Google]
Halsuke & Kilobara.jpg
635 KB, 907x1080
>>79132926
/co/ and /m/, never /a/
I enjoy non-robotic anime and manga but, well looking at /a/ now there's like one thread that interests me.
>>
>>79135984
>western cartoons and anime are genres
>canadian movies and australian moves are genres
>>
>>79130610
Both, I'm more inclined to the old. Old anime and cartoons with a few exceptions of the new.
>>
File: 1382785764451.jpg (41 KB, 559x568) Image search: [Google]
1382785764451.jpg
41 KB, 559x568
>>79136087

>Comparing two Western civilisations and thinking it matches up to comparing east and west

Okay.

But whatever, I'll bite.

>British sitcoms and American sitcoms arent seperate genres

Okay mate
>>
>>79135590
Something I should add to this is that while I don't know what the maximum number of visible pages is, it is at least a thousand. So in those searches it's returning over a thousand pages for both characters, and a measly 42-141 for the others.

>>79135874
Anime is vastly, overwhelmingly superior to "cartoons," so there are less people who are so devoted to the latter that they would say they prefer it to anime. That's probably why. I think anime by its nature also develops a more dedicated fanbase.

>>79136087
If Canadian and Australian movies had the same kind of huge, all-encompassing differences that American animation and anime did, then it would be completely correct to treat them in a similar way.
>>
>>79136228
*over a thousand pages for safe searches
>>
>>79135984
>Western cartoons and Anime are genres within the medium of animation.

No, they aren't. You want an action show? Both Japan and America have you covered. Same with comedy and even musicals.

The animation produced by an entire country is not a 'genre'.

Damn, this is some tasty bait today.
>>
Cartoons. A big part of my enjoyment is character interaction and dialogue, in anime, due to Japan's cultural output, people talk and act like autists, it's quite hard to get into it in the same way I'm sure they have trouble getting into the stylings of our media.
>>
File: 1349205461312.png (304 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1349205461312.png
304 KB, 1280x720
>>79136228
>Anime is vastly, overwhelmingly superior to "cartoons,"

>This isn't a troll thread, I swear guys! I'm just that much smarter and righter than all of you!
>>
>>79136326
So the massive cultural differences that you would see in said genres depending on east and west don't exist?

And that's not just in character design or how they act, its also in story beats and tropes.

At what point are they so distinct with eastern and western influences that they become different?
>>
>>79136228
>Anime is vastly, overwhelmingly superior to "cartoons," so there are less people who are so devoted to the latter that they would say they prefer it to anime. That's probably why. I think anime by its nature also develops a more dedicated fanbase.

Gomenasai, my name is Ken-Sama.

I’m a 27 year old American Otaku (Anime fan for you gaijins). I draw Anime and Manga on my tablet, and spend my days perfecting my art and playing superior Japanese games. (Disgaea, Final Fantasy, Persona series)

I train with my Katana every day, this superior weapon can cut clean through steel because it is folded over a thousand times, and is vastly superior to any other weapon on earth. I earned my sword license two years ago, and I have been getting better every day.

I speak Japanese fluently, both Kanji and the Osaka dialect, and I write fluently as well. I know everything about Japanese history and their bushido code, which I follow 100%

When I get my Japanese visa, I am moving to Tokyo to attend a prestigious High School to learn more about their magnificent culture. I hope I can become an animator for Studio Ghibli or a game designer!

I own several kimonos, which I wear around town. I want to get used to wearing them before I move to Japan, so I can fit in easier. I bow to my elders and seniors and speak Japanese as often as I can, but rarely does anyone manage to respond.

Wish me luck in Japan!
>>
File: all look the same.jpg (147 KB, 1280x1440) Image search: [Google]
all look the same.jpg
147 KB, 1280x1440
>>79136326
An American action show and a anime action show are significantly different from each other, as are an American comedy and an anime comedy. Again, I have already listed several reasons for why that is. "But they're totally the same!" is not a valid counter-argument to that.

>>79136380
Where was the trolling in that post?

>>79136493
Your point?
>>
>>79136431
>So the massive cultural differences that you would see in said genres depending on east and west don't exist?

They do. But they don't define a 'genre'.

>its also in story beats and tropes.

No, because anyone from anywhere can make any kind of story they want and tell it any way they want. They aren't exclusive to cultures by any means.
>>
>>79136493
kek
>>
>>79136558
Your bait stopped being subtle a long time ago.

You shouldn't have used that picture, mate. Now you're just over the top.
>>
I was hoping this thread would have a lot more webms showcasing animation.
>>
>>79136558
>He's still going
>>
>>79136590
Instead of obsessing over whether something should be called a "genre" or a "medium," how about actually considering the concrete differences between American animation and anime?

>No, because anyone from anywhere can make any kind of story they want and tell it any way they want.
Which does not somehow mean they will, or that they will be able to even if they want to.

>>79136685
There never was any bait, and what is wrong with the picture I posted?

>>79136724
He's still greentexting and assuming that that will somehow prove his side of the argument correct.
>>
File: love her.webm (3 MB, 1152x817) Image search: [Google]
love her.webm
3 MB, 1152x817
>>79136716
Maybe someone can start a new thread for that, because this one is just retards posting textwalls at each other.
>>
>>79136590
So are British sitcoms and American sitcoms the same genre despite the only thing they share is the fact they are comedies derived from a situation

I mean styles of humour, the settings themselves, the use of lighting and camera work and the scripts in general. Hell the situations of said sitcoms tend to wildly differ

Are they still the same?
>>
File: 1451939871330.jpg (29 KB, 375x305) Image search: [Google]
1451939871330.jpg
29 KB, 375x305
>>79136558
Man, this guy REALLY has nothing to do today. I wonder how long he can really keep this up. Or maybe he'll try to make the same thread tomorrow. Try to force a daily dose.

Either way, this is really really embarrassing for everyone involved.
>>
File: sakuga.webm (1 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
sakuga.webm
1 MB, 640x480
>this is considered good "animation" by the Japanese
>>
>>79136857
>So are British sitcoms and American sitcoms the same genre despite the only thing they share is the fact they are comedies derived from a situation

Yes. A 'situational comedy' is a 'situational comedy' no matter what country it's from. Whatever jokes you decide to put in it don't define the genre.

Different jokes =/= different genre
>>
>>79136590
Story beats and tropes aren't exclusive, of course they aren't, but they are generally used by film makers from their respective reigons.

There aren't a multitude of US animated shows that use the same story telling beats as eastern shows and vice versa

almost as if there was a cultural difference. Almost as if they were different genres
>>
>>79136795
>the concrete differences between American animation and anime

There aren't any.
>>
I wonder if this attempt at arguing that American animation and anime are the same is about essentially co-opting anime. So for example: because anime has complex stories and high production values and anime is the same as American animation, it therefore follows that American animation has complex stories and high production values too--what's yours is mine. This way American animation can lay claim to everything anime has done without having to actually do them, because that would be too hard.

>>79136873
I didn't make this thread.

>>79136898
It seems pretty good to me. What's your point?
>>
File: ISHYGDDT.jpg (121 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
ISHYGDDT.jpg
121 KB, 640x960
>>79136933
>Western film and tv is no different from eastern film and tv in the slightest

>What is culture
>>
I watch both.
Didn't know people still fought about which was better
>>
>>79137010
This thread just needs more animation, is all.
>>
File: Dragun.jpg (536 KB, 1564x2166) Image search: [Google]
Dragun.jpg
536 KB, 1564x2166
>>79136087
No one watches Canadanime.
>>
>>79137067
It's like it's 2004 all over again.

This thread is like trying to argue with an ADV commercial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCWT7y7kMT0
>>
File: identical.jpg (162 KB, 1280x1440) Image search: [Google]
identical.jpg
162 KB, 1280x1440
>>79136992
I've already listed them (well, a few of them) several times, and they aren't going to go away just because you pretend they don't exist.
>>
File: 1307331023165.jpg (36 KB, 570x428) Image search: [Google]
1307331023165.jpg
36 KB, 570x428
>>79137010
>I didn't make this thread.

Yeah, and I bet you won't make this thread tomorrow either.
>>
>>79136873
OP here i was the one who made the thread not that autistic guy. Just wanted to read opinions
>>
>>79137193
I did not make this thread. I have, as far as I remember, never made a thread on /co/. It's very rare for me to make threads anywhere.
>>
>>79137169
You're trying way too hard still.
>>
>>79137169
>implying your trolling is still subtle
>>
>>79137193
actually he is right
>>
>>79137131
ADV had a big ass library man, I still remember when Adult Swim was Evangelion and Super Milk Chan.
>>
>>79137251
Then maybe you should return to reddit.
>>
>>79135984
>>79136087
>>79136165
>>79136857
>>79136944

Can we just agree that different parts of the world do in fact have different cultures that influence their animation, but to define an animated work, or any work of art, purely by its source of origin is stupid?

Anime and cartoons aren't literally the same thing, but because neither of them are concrete disciplines that follow hard and fast rules, they can very easily be similar.
>>
>>79137251
Yeah i did it. But you are still very autistic tho
>>
>>79137257
Trying too hard at what?

>>79137259
I'm not trolling at all.

>>79137292
What a non-sequitur. I didn't say or convey anything Reddit-related.
>>
>>79137318
Stating facts isn't autistic.

>>79137308
Most of the similarities have emerged as a result of some American shows intentionally emulating anime during the past twenty years or so.
>>
File: wat.jpg (64 KB, 858x645) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
64 KB, 858x645
>>79137308
No, because you American shits need to learn a hard lesson that your kiddie shit is inferior to anime. Always has been and always will be.

How does it feel knowing you're watching programs literally meant for infants? Fuck you guys.

I mean look at this shit. Learn to draw already, fucking yankees. You've had 300 years to get good at this.
>>
>>79137443
>implying anyone from America can draw a human
>>
>>79137443
I love Cats Don't Dance, but man, Lauren's art was always really subpar. It would have benefited greatly from someone with actual talent.
Thread replies: 164
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.