[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Venture Bros overrated?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 16
File: venture_bros_001.jpg (172 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
venture_bros_001.jpg
172 KB, 1000x750
Is Venture Bros overrated?
>>
Very.
>>
No.
>>
No.
>>
File: 1453037514140.jpg (222 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
1453037514140.jpg
222 KB, 700x394
For you
>>
nope.
>>
No.
>>
File: 1451234296510.jpg (322 KB, 704x800) Image search: [Google]
1451234296510.jpg
322 KB, 704x800
Nope
>>
Not really, no. Anyone that watches it seems to really enjoy it, but I don't tend to see much discussions or references brought up anywhere. Even around /co/.
>>
No, it's surprisingly excellent
>>
The recent episodes are a little eh, definitely, but the show as a whole is great. Can't believe the geeks on here never mention it.
>>
File: 1450301881002.jpg (29 KB, 374x493) Image search: [Google]
1450301881002.jpg
29 KB, 374x493
>>79123018
Because it's never outright shit there's nothing to argue about. /co/ things that everyone likes hardly gets discussed. /co/ only likes arguing about things
>>
Much like for Rick and Morty, and The Simpsons, people like to "rate" (whatever that means) or judge everything out of context for some reason.

All of these shows have something in common: when they first blossomed and showed their true face, they did it in a barren land where nothing else of the same kind was there.

If you wanted a long running western show, with a complex and yet cohesive plot, characters that evolve over time, and a pinch of humor and sadness as well, there was simply nowhere else to look at but The Venture Bros.

>"No but I want you to enumerate everything it did right, everything it did wrong, and then clump all those together in a value to be compared with other shows!"

Why? What's the point? What would that even mean or accomplish?

Venture Bros. was very well liked when it was alone or almost alone in its kind, nowadays there are alternatives and we can afford to be snobbier and go to Bojack for more depression, SU for more lore, or whatever the fuck else, from F for Family to Moral Orel, to Moonbeam City.

NOW, in 2016, I care way less about VB than when I first started watching. This doesn't mean that it suddenly "loses value" somehow. It just means there's more stuff on the market, and that it is starting to show its age a bit.

Also fuck the pirate captain, he was never funny.
>>
I don't care. Season 2 was God-tier.
>>
>>79123113
^^^^^
>>
>>79123113
Escape to the House of Mummies Part 2 is GOAT

Prove me wrong

Protip: YOU CAN'T
>>
>>79123072
>fuck the pirate captain, he was never funny
I dunno. "You live by the ghost: you die by the ghost" is a pretty great line.
>>
>>79124365
And the episode where he got hooked on darts on was fucking hilarious.

>I GOT THE DART MONKEY ON ME BACK
>>
>>79124500
This isn't funny because of him, but it's my favorite moment with him in it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXzJ0uipBDw
>>
>>79124365
I agree! I thought he was great as a goofy character the Ventures had to put up with for that one episode. Brock just putting up with the sheer stupidity of a pirate ship out of nowhere was great.
Since then he didn't really add much by returning, but I'm pretty indifferent to that. He's not obnoxious or boring, so there's nothing really worth actively disliking.
>>
Thinking if there are any characters who actually bug me on this show, I'd say Watch & Ward, those two guild guys with the raspy voices. They're not so bad in & of themselves, but they get more screentime & dialogue than they deserve, especially since their only joke is "making mundane small talk while sci-fi stuff happens around them" which all the other characters already do in a much funnier way.
>>
It's one of the best cartoons aimed at adults there is.

It's great, but you also have to realize that it's basically unique in its existence.

Before it, the only cartoons for adults were animated sitcoms like the Simpsons and Family Guy.

Even then, it's the only one that's transitioned to more serious storytelling as time has gone on. Look at Archer, that fell to shit.
>>
>>79125832
That's because they're Hammer and McCulloch's inserts, just like 21 and 24 are.

Granted, Watch and Ward are a bit worse because they don't do as much as 21 and 24 did, but now they wanted to replace the dynamic once 24 died.
>>
Seasons 1 & 2 and amazing
3 and 5 hit or miss
4 is a glitter covered shit
>>
>>79122872
No. It's a unique and great cartoon for adults that isn't super edgy and not about some typical middle class family. No radom bullshit but long story arcs and likable characters.
>>
File: Screenshot (141).png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (141).png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>79122872
It's underrated desu senpai
>>
>>79122952
OP is post?
>>
>>79127237
That gag legitimately made me spit my drink.
>>
>>79127394
>You're a bum rock!
Not gonna lie, I'm gonna miss the moppets
>>
It's pretty good, some jokes fall flat on their face, and I can see someone who isn't a counter-culture little faggot, like me, having to slog through a lot of irrelevant material.
>>
>>79127237
>>79127464
Fuck, that got me so badly

I laughed for a good couple minutes
>>
>>79127237
Why is she so sexy
Why is her voice so sexy
>>
>>79127237
>It is not stupid, it's SPECTACULAR
>LEAVE US IMP
Why is Monarch so B A S E D
>>
>People hate season 4

I liked it

I really like Sgt. Hatred
>>
>>79124119

I liked the Doctor Is Sin most. I thought the episode really flowed well and lead to a good payoff at the end. Also addressed Rusty's inadequacies directly but in a weird way through Killinger.
>>
>>79123072
>A REAL GHOOOOST!!

>What? Wow! N-No way!

I laff every time.

>Ya live by tha ghost, ya die by tha ghost.
>>
>>79122872
By whom?
/co/? Probably.
In general? I don't think so.
>>
>>79127811

honestly, I don't see /co/ harping on and on because of the show.
>>
>>79123072
>If you wanted a long running western show, with a complex and yet cohesive plot, characters that evolve over time, and a pinch of humor and sadness as well
Nigga it was mostly a comedy.
>>
>>79127854
I pointed out >>79127885 because anon takes what is basically a parody with a plot for a complex drama.
People here do that with a lot of things when they like it, they call it deep and complex and all sorts of shit. R&M fans have the same issue.
>>
>>79123039
This.
This Right here.

Its why /co/ never talks about Hellboy or the Goon either.
>>
>>79128032
It started out as a parody, then it was parody with a plot, now it's plot with a parody desu
>>
>>79128106
Or Dr. McNinja.

If /co/ doesn't hate it, they won't talk about it unless it's new season or issue hype, which is exactly why we're even talking about the Venture Bros to begin with right now.
>>
>>79125874
Moral Orel did that too but it's nowhere near as popular and only got 3 seasons.
>>
>>79128513
Moral Orel got fucking dark towards the end of its run though and actually benefited from having a shorter story. Outside of maybe one more season to wrap things up a little neater and flesh out a couple more characters, Moral Orel ended on the right note.
>>
>>79123072
>Also fuck the pirate captain, he was never funny.
this. Which is ironic, as I decided to watch this because of his line "it's like getting sucked off by an angel!"
>>
>>79127708
Season 4 was the best one.
Pretty much all the characters got more depth and development and it had a goat finale.
>>
>>79129379
Season 4 was GOAT.

>You know what I think? Fuck you!
>>
Dr. Ms. The Monarch > The Monarch > Dr Orpheus > Old 21 & 24 > The Order of the Triad > Red guards from The Guild > White > Dr. H. Killinger > Billy > Dr. Venture > Brock > The Sovereign > Triana > Jonas Venture > Jonas Jr. (rip) > Dean > Hank > The members of Jonas' superhero group > old Hank & Dean > The Captain > Sgt. Hatred > Dermond
>>
>>79129653
Can't really disagree too much
>>
>>79125936

Dude, a chunk are Publick and Hammer's inserts.

The Monarch and Dr. Mrs. The Monarch
21 and 24
Billy and White
Watch and Ward
Hank and Dermott
Tim tom and Kevin
Red Mantle and Dragoon
The Action Man and Rose Whalen
Cardholder and Doe

That's all I can think of at the moment.
>>
>>79129653
I'd argue that Brock should be right behind Dr. Orpheus, but otherwise is a solid ranking.
>>
Venture Bros is God Tier
>>
>>79129849
will Rusty ever get a match? Maybe Brock, in a relationship marked by both being "loners".

>>79129933
I remember Brock being very near the top at first, I think I just got tired of his history.
I'd agree to put season 1 brock there, though
>>
>>79130138
>will Rusty ever get a match?

Being that he's voiced by Urbaniak and not Publick or Hammer... no.
>>
>>79130138
Brock and Rusty already have a lot of back and forth banter, and Rusty and Orpheus.
>>
>>79123072
Eh
All of those shows are sub par compared to Venture for me

Is still one of my all time favorites, Shane they can't churn out the same number of riparian as they did in season 4 though
>>
>>79123072
Echoing the other anons saying he was funny in the episode he first appeared in, past that, yeah, he sucked.
>>
File: kill-geppu-complete-31.jpg (114 KB, 843x1200) Image search: [Google]
kill-geppu-complete-31.jpg
114 KB, 843x1200
It's great but it gets old fast

Also they forgot how to be funny somewhere in the second or third season
>>
It became retarded when everything became related and explained in season 3. The problem is the first 2 seasons were so great everyone became more intrigued with where the plot was going, instead of the ennui and mystery it originally had as driving factors. The need to connect everything and explain everything demystified the mystique, now it is just a boring referential comedy show.

It's OK, I know everyone here will disagree. I'm not being contrary, I used to love this show. Now it is just a different show.
>>
>>79122872
If you want overrated
>legend of Korra
>steven universe
>>
>>79133695
There's like 1 person on this whole board that doesn't call Legend of Korra "shit" every time he goes to sleep.
>>
>>79133747
Seems unlikely I'd get there in 3 minutes, right?
No but still, it's kinda shit.
>>
File: 1419789339505.jpg (226 KB, 589x621) Image search: [Google]
1419789339505.jpg
226 KB, 589x621
>>79133648
>The problem is the first 2 seasons were so great everyone became more intrigued with where the plot was going,
>The need to connect everything and explain everything demystified the mystique
This seems to be a reoccuring problem with cartoons that get successful these days, innit?
At first it's comedy with some cool somewhat loosely connected background, but then lorefags get a boner, send their fanfics to the authors, and everything gets ruined.
>>
>>79127555
Her voice is strangely effeminate despite being so deep and raspy.

>Doc Hammer will never whisper dirty things into your ear in Dr. Girlfriend's voice
>>
>>79127555
It might just be because you associate the voice with her.
>>
File: most excellent.gif (1 MB, 368x243) Image search: [Google]
most excellent.gif
1 MB, 368x243
>>79127237
>>79127394
>>79127394
>>You're a bum rock!
Completely lost my shit, I had to find and download the show later because I missed like a couple minutes because I was on my ass. It fucking killed. IF YOU didnt find that scene funny as fucking hell and not just because you are a toddler who didnt get the references, then you are not human.

I love Venture Bros, some shits better than others.
I love The Rick and Morty show, not every episode knocks it out of the park but when its good its damn good.

People cant just fucking like things any more, or I should say young people cant. It all has to be a compitition, my show vs your show. My taste vs your taste. Just fucking get over it and enjoy it.

You are going to be dead in a few decades at the most, try to find some fucking enjoyment and shut up ya whiny fucks.
>>
File: 250px-HELPeR.png (117 KB, 250x276) Image search: [Google]
250px-HELPeR.png
117 KB, 250x276
No way this show is amazing. The newer seasons don't have the same charm as the earlier ones did, but it's still entertaining and dives into a complicated plot line. The characters are incredibly well developed and the voice acting is spot on.

I'm incredibly excited for the new season
>>
>>79122872
yes
>>
File: yesh.gif (538 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
yesh.gif
538 KB, 320x240
>>79122872
post more Dr. Mrs. the monarch in sexy lingerie/panties

my broner is ready
>>
File: venture-bros-season-6-feature.png (213 KB, 650x345) Image search: [Google]
venture-bros-season-6-feature.png
213 KB, 650x345
Irrelevant but I don't think it's worth making a thread for this: Does anyone have the very very recent commercial promo for Venture Brothers season 6? The one that shows the subway signs for the VB6? I can't seem to find it.
>>
>>79125940
>I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like Season 4. A lot of the plots ran together and aside from the Hank film noir one, a lot them didn't have their own indentity. Especially in the second half.

Season 5 was pretty good though, albeit short.
>>
File: thefuckman.png (31 KB, 119x135) Image search: [Google]
thefuckman.png
31 KB, 119x135
>>79137087
>Only place with the full banner has some retarded protection policy.
>>
>>79138931
Why the fuck did I greentext that?
>>
>>79122872
God no. It's one of the better written adult animated shows around. Shit like Archer and Moonbeam City don't even come close to it.
>>
>>79138931
The finale was god tier for season 4 though.
>>
>after over a decade, /co/ has a thread about venture bros being overrated

Well it's official. /co/ is finally /v/ incarnate

You literally cannot name a currently running cartoon that is better than the glory of the Venture Bros.
>>
>>79129653

Pretty solid list.

The only thing I'd change is Hatred, maybe; I'd put that the semi-competent Hatred that was dicking with the Monarch as a villain and trying to bond with Hank and Dean as a bodyguard a lot higher.

That's next to last slot is right for the "He's a pedophile, get it?" Sgt. Hatred though.
>>
>>79134558
Im not sure you watched 'all that and Gargantua 2' they solved all the plot points
>>
File: Mrs. the Monarch.png (830 KB, 1222x706) Image search: [Google]
Mrs. the Monarch.png
830 KB, 1222x706
>>79136102
>>
>>79129653
Is Dr. MTM only #1 because she's your waifu?
jk

>>79129933
Brock's funny but he can't top WHO WANTS PIIIZZZAAA ROOOOLLLLS
>>
>>79139726
This isn't the first time this has happened.

Dammit will someone get that Commerical up?
>Boudicca/Margaret Thatcher themed Villain
>>79139811
There's clearly a lot of left over plot points, I doubt every thing witll be wrapped up at the end of the series, and that's not even counting the stuff they don't purposefully leave ambiguous.
>>
>>79139726
>judging all of /co/ based on the actions of OP

Literally everyone in this thread is disagreeing with the OP.
>>
>>79139726
He was just asking and almost everyone agreed that the show is great
>>
>>79139941
I doubt we'll ever find out what happened to Jonas Sr.

Or, more strangely, how Rusty's estate isn't making money off of his own cartoon.
>>
>>79122872
Yes and no
>>
>>79129653
Completely logical, I also think Hatred is one of the least funny characters.

But I also think old dean was really great and should be higher. I'd put hank and dean and Rusty over old 21 and 24. I'd put brock over billy at least. This was a show where the starting cast were the best characters.

I'd put sovereign higher than triad, Dr. Ms. The Monarch a bit lower, Molotov Cocktease after Billy
>>
>>79139992
Wasn't there an episode where he ran a camp and had Johnny and some other guys just to cash in on their fame as kids?
>>79139941
This?

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/the-venture-bros/the-venture-bros-season-6-extended-trailer/
>>
>>79139786
They really dropped the ball with Hatred. He had so much more potential as Rusty's arch than his bodyguard and I'm still confused as to why he even became his bodyguard in the first place.
>>
>>79140156
YES, thank god, thanks for the link.
>>
What boards do you think VB characters would frequent?:

Brock: /k/, /out/ maybe
Hank: /mu/, /co/ (would be one annoying batfag), /v/, /fit/, maybe /b/, /m/
Dean: /lit/, /r9k/ during his goth phase, /m/
Rusty: /sci/, /soc/, maybe /r9k/ too
Gary: Pretty much every board but especially /co/, /v/, and /vg/
Monarch: recruits for henchmen on /soc/
Sheila: /fa/
Orpheus: /x/
>>
>>79128159
Speaking of Dr.Mcninja, I was re-reading it and HOLY SHIT Hastings set up that Wizard/name shit YEARS ago. And he ACTUALLY payed it off. Also I love how seriously he takes his dumb ideas, like the ghost busters theme thing
>>
>>79140410
Rusty's a pretty huge prog head so he might frequent /mu/ too.

He'd probably always shitpost in Hank's shill threads for his band.
>>
>>79140410
*Crap I mean /tg/ for Gary not /vg/

Also Dermott would be a total /b/tard and probably go to all the red board, especially /pol/ once in a while.
>>
>>79140459
Yeah, Hastings is surprisingly a great storyteller when you get past all the weird 'lolsorandom' things his stories are full of.
>>
>>79139992
Nope.
>>
>>79140156
>Brock looking like he'll be a bodyguard again
>Hank being a douchy rich kid
>Fallen Archer
Holy shit my hype has somehow increased
>>
>>79140646
Yeah, and even with those 'lolsorandom' things, he takes them to their logical conclusion, like the future where they had to print out the internet, or Chuck Goodrich
>>
>Is Venture Bros overrated?
No. Its just a good show and people like it, not really that many in the first place know about it but more than most adult swim cartoons. There's nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>79122872
Yeah, somewhat.
>>
>>79122872
Excessive positive reception comes from people's excessive enjoyment of the show.

That enjoyment in turn, comes from the show being 'enjoyable'.

A synonym of 'enjoyable' is 'good.'
>>
the commentary is pretty great too, in a "two guys talking about anything and everything except the show" kind of way

I've listened to all of the commentary except for season 5.
>>
>>79145078
So in other words, The Room is a genuine masterpiece of cinema because it is enjoyed by a large number of people.
>>
>>79145369
No, "masterpiece" has different prerequisites than "good". Look it up.
The Room is "good". You might hear people say that "it's so bad that it's good".
>>
>>79137087
>>79139044
it got posted in full on the venture bros subreddit, should be downloadable from there
>>
>>79140156
I haven't seen this trailer yet so much thanks for posting it.
I can't wait for season 6 to start.
I just watched the entire show again and it's still one of my favorite shows ever.
I love the commentary by Public and Hammer, I only wish I could find it for season 5.

A lot of people have said they don't like season 4 or that he show got bad after season 3 but it really didn't, it just evolved.
A series can't stay the same forever, that's just how things are, but over the years I've only grown to love VB more and more.

I still remember watching the pilot when it first aired and thinking "this is going to be the best show ever!" and almost 15 years later I haven't changed my mind (baring R&M which is now my favorite show, but that can't be helped)

Venture Bros just has the perfect theme and that theme is failure.
That theme is basically the theme of life itself.
Our failures make us who we are and it makes VB what it is, fucking brilliant!

HIGH FIVE! (in Billys voice)
>>
File: 1430505769476.jpg (71 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1430505769476.jpg
71 KB, 720x960
>>79134359
This.
>>
File: secret identity.png (101 KB, 717x599) Image search: [Google]
secret identity.png
101 KB, 717x599
>>79127237
>It's underrated desu senpai

Stop saying it is underrated if it already got 100 seasons and a good budget.
>>
>>79140410
Brock would also be on /o/

Killinger would frequent /adv/ and give legitimately great advice to those with actual issues. He would be banned from /r9k/ for giving legitimately good advice, but the ban would be for being a normie chad fag.
>>
File: 300px-RS.jpg (13 KB, 300x164) Image search: [Google]
300px-RS.jpg
13 KB, 300x164
Does the Venture Brothers have a Dead List. So much characters get introduced and then killed in the later seasons. I'm just wondering who died from The Revenge Society in the Season 06 special.
>>
>>79147866
I think we just have to wait and see who shows up.
Because I think we saw Radical Left in the preview and possibly Fat Chance.
>>
>>79123113
Wait for season six it will blow your mind.
YES I AM HYPED!!!
>>79122872
>>
>>79147866
I like the idea of the Revenge Society and how it became a tapestry Venture'/Monarch's accumulated rogues gallery over the 4-5 seasons.
>>
>>79140410
solid list, but Orpheus would get in /x/, loose his shit when he starts to pontificate correcting people about their ignorance and get replied with smug anime pictures calling him an autist, and then stay forever mad at the board, eventually clicking on /ck/, forget his anger and bake something

>>79133949
>>79133648
yes this kind of things happen all too often, idkw you thought people wouldn't agree. Despite being one of my favorite shows, this always bothered me in the back of my mind.

I think the problem with suddenly lore is the combination of:
>the audience (or at least the ones that tweet them and top Reddit AMA comments) pleads for lore, and to see the resolution of dozens of little plot lines or one time jokes and characters that they believe are now plot lines
>maybe after a couple of seasons the jokes run thinner, and they feel no longer holds the show together
>the "prestige" of making a show with plot and not a bunch of gags and parodies.
>the timing: trying to resolve plot lines when there aren't many plot lines really, and instead of plannin ahead and building something greater they end up using half-baked moments as important events, and overuse beloved joke characters

Happened noticeable in VB, Adventure Time, Korra (I mean the suddenly Toph, akwardly forced references to ATLA and the Origins)
What other show? Maybe it's just natural show decline with a different flavor
>>
>>79123072
>Bojack for more depression

Sick of these cultureless neanderthals showering this mediocre show with undeserved praise.

Everything in Bojack is horribly on the nose. It lacks all subtlety.

>how do we show Bojack had a troubled childhood?
>I know lets just shove a flashback in there where the unreasonably horrible mother delivers a rehearsed melodramatic monologue and hammers the viewer over the head with her unbridled awfulness
>GREAT! We are truly capturing the breadth and complexity of the human condition

It's not really sad when its all canned. It's done so deliberately it lacks all verisimilitude.

Also, for a show that dedicates more than half its airtime to being a 'comedy' its inexcusably tripe.
>>
This show had one of the worst pilots I'd seen since Billy & Mandy's, but unlike Billy & Mandy it didn't get much better. The character development is inorganic because it's purely used as a vehicle for the writing. The parodial premise ran thin within a handful of episodes so they fell back on character drama, but it was never very good so the whole show feels pretty hollow unless you're really into it. The show is completely uninspired and just meanders about with weak plots and weaker characters, it never aspires to much and so it never achieves anything. There are things to like about it, but none of it's for me, and from just a critical standpoint the show is poorly done so I do have to say it's overrated. Nothing wrong with liking it, just don't conflate "I like this" with "this is good", it's an easy mistake to make.
Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.