[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Dan Slott such a polarizing figure? It seems like everyone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4
File: Dan_Slott.jpg (403 KB, 1301x1131) Image search: [Google]
Dan_Slott.jpg
403 KB, 1301x1131
Why is Dan Slott such a polarizing figure?

It seems like everyone either loves the shit out of his stuff or thinks he's an obnoxious hack.
>>
>>79117705
eh, I think he used to be a better writer, I think he can come up with good ideas but hes just shit at writing them. Its time for him to leave Spider-man just cause we need a fresh writer on it.
>>
>>79117751
I mostly agree, that doesn't explain people totally loathing him though.
>>
>>79117799
He fully embraced the piss off the readers for better sales Marvel method. That Squirrel Girl picture with her bashing all the try hard edge of modern comics was written by Slott, who later started writing the same drek he used to hate. Man has a right to change his opinion but its easy to mock and hate him for it. Guy used to write some amazing books, now hes just kinda slogging along with Spider-man.
>>
He's a rapist
>>
Just LOOK at the fat fucker. Danny DeVito looks more appealing than that smug fat retard. And Bendis' personality is even worse. I wouldn't ever want to meet that bloated balding fuck in person, I bet he smells fucking awful too.

He revels in ruining characters for his own jollies, Bendis can die of cancer for all I care. I hope his children get run over by a car.
>>
>>79117705
>Why is Dan Slott such a polarizing figure?
because he writes spider-man
>>
>>79117705
He has good ideas but then can't execute them at all without botching it either immediately or halfway through
>>
>>79118263
Pretty much this.
Spider-Man and X-Men fans tend to be pretty split, most of the time.
Though the negative X-Men fans are far, far more vocal about hating something.

Slott seems to have newer fans that like him, while olders fans want him dead, lol. (At least the people at my LCS)
>>
>>79118263

this.

How many little autists spent their entire childhood crying about a marriage they've were not even alive to see happen ?
>>
>>79118377
>Can only read comics that were written while you were alive and capable of reading
>Calls people autists
That's two strikes
>>
>>79117799
He's an irredeemably terrible character writer and a subpar plot writer.
Considering Spider-Man is generally more character-driven than plot-driven, I understand why people don't like him. Plus, I personally find his sense of humor to be obnoxious.
>>
>>79117705
Because he's a subpar writer at best, and while he has some really good ideas, he's terrible at executing them properly. Superior Spider-Man is probably the best example of that: the whole character was Slott's idea, yet literally every other writer (except maybe Bendis and Hickman, who apparently didn't get the memo that this was a different version of Spider-Man) did a better job portraying him.

Overall, he's not a bad plotter, but his writing has almost no depth at all, and he doesn't seem to understand how to do proper character development. Also, while he's pretty good with humor, his attempts to force jokes into otherwise serious moments is lame and tone-breaking. He should just be kept on light-hearted Marvel Adventures style books, but instead they've had him on the flagship title for EIGHT YEARS, with no signs of switching him out any time soon.

Finally, he's very active online and honestly, he's a total asshole. Not only is he terrible at taking even the most polite forms of constructed criticism, but he'll actively seek out message boards where people are criticizing his work and confront them about it in a really aggressive way. This has been going on since his She-Hulk run, which means he's been doing it for at least ten years or so. And his constant boasts about how he plans on writing Amazing Spider-Man for literally the rest of his life are extremely grating to people disappointed with his run (and the longer it goes on, the more likely it seems like those boasts may actually be true).
>>
>>79117705
He reminds of a koala that ate too much fucking eucalyptus
>>
>>79117705
Because he shits on people who buy his books so he can look cool to people who don't even know who he is. Also I think he uses the gg autoblocker, kek.
>>
>>79118419
>Plus, I personally find his sense of humor to be obnoxious.

CRAZY TOWN BANANA-PANTS
>>
>>79117705
I enjoy his work but I still think he's a bit of a fat baby. Superior Spider-man was top tier.

With that said he does need to get off Spidey. despite the new direction I've found the whole think frankly quite boring.
>>
Did anyone here use to read the Daily Raider?

They used to joke about how Slott looked like a child molestor and shit.
>>
>>79117705
Because a lot of people on /co/ seem to have trouble thinking for themselves and bandwagon onto whatever some autist on the internet is complaining about that day.

No-one who has read a great deal of comics would call Slott out as being among the worst writers out there. Is current Spidey run is pretty good and whilst the character has been in better hand before - he's been in a lot worse as well. For a pulpy mainline book - Slott is doing a more than reasonable job.

As for his behaviour on the internet - yes, he'd be better off taking a step back - but I've never seen him go full retard. I think he needs to realize that people are going to dislike him though and there's no use getting upset about that.
>>
>>79119892
>people can't think for themselves if they share a similar opinion unless they agree with me
>>
>>79119892
> Is current Spidey run is pretty good
>For a pulpy mainline book - Slott is doing a more than reasonable job.
If you have no standards. And yes, he is one of the worst Spider-Man writers out there. The only one who's worse is Howard Mackie.
>>
>>79119974
Terry Kavanuagh was definitely worse than either

and as far as terrible Spider-Man runs go, Gerry Conway, Ann Nocenti, John Byrne, Bob Gale, and Marc Guggenheim all did a worse job than Slott, despite being better writers overall
>>
>>79117705
>Why is Dan Slott such a polarizing figure?

How the hell is he polarizing? There are only two scenarios possible:

>People who actually read comics fucking hate him.
>Newfags who just got into Spider-Man think he's great because they literally have no idea what Spider-Man is supposed to be like.

That's fucking it.
>>
>>79117751
>I think he can come up with good ideas

Which is why he's just recycling the same old tropes over and over and over and over, right?

We're only friggin' six issues into volume 4 and we've already had a Green Goblin story. We're already gearing up for Ock's return and he already brought back his angry waifu, Mr. Negative.
>>
>>79118309
>>79118377
I think its safe to say that you two fall under the "new fans like him". Go read some goddamn comics that were published before 2008. Your Slott hate will grow with time. Trust in the system.
>>
>>79117705
Because he's fat.
>>
>>79118516
>he's not a bad plotter

>Super Spider-Man
>ALL of Volume 3
>Spider-Verse

Are you high? He's terrible at plotting.
>>
>>79118516
>while he's pretty good with humor

Yeah, instantly dating his books by throwing in constant song references about Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus is goddamn hilarious!

Shoehorning in autistic dialogue like "That's crazy-town banana pants!" is a belly buster for sure!
>>
>>79117705
Because he's STILL writing Amazing spider-man
We've had two company wide relaunches and virtually every other book has got a new writer at some point except Spider-man
We need a fucking break, a year at minimum.
>>
>>79119287
>They used to joke about how Slott looked like a child molestor and shit.

Has anyone ever bothered to look if he's on the list of sex offenders. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he was.
>>
>>79119892
>No-one who has read a great deal of comics would call Slott out as being among the worst writers out there.
You haven't been reading a great deal of comics yourself, have you?

>but I've never seen him go full retard.
He got banned from the Spider-Man Crawlspace message boards for going full retard quite a few times.

http://www.spidermancrawlspace.com/2010/12/13/editorial-slott-vs-crawlspace/

He's a known troll.
>>
>>79119974
>The only one who's worse is Howard Mackie.
I'd argue that Mackie, while yes, is fucking terrible, is still better than Slott.
>>
>>79117705
I don't know if he used to a better writer, all I've read from him is his Spiderman from the Ock/Pete brain switch to Renew your vows.
I found him being a bad writer who writes the same shit again and again:

>costantly bashing Peter Parker and having him being an incompetent faggot
>shit on loved estabilished characters and light on new fantastic Slott OCs
>invincible OC bad guys who in the end just job for no reason
>>
He's not the worst writer around, certainly not the best, the problem is he's been on Spider-Man for waaaaay too long, and it became abundantly clear he ran out of ideas by the end of Superior. The people who dislike him HATE that he's got such a stranglehold on such a beloved character, and even the people who like him are getting a bit tired of him. Only his most die-hard fans are still enjoying Spider-Man with him on it.

The reason why he's been on Spider-Man for so long is that he's the very epitome of a fanboy writer. He wants to write the characters he loves more than anything else, and doesn't want to ever stop. This is why Silver Surfer is basically Doctor Who now, he's a big Doctor Who fan who wants to write Doctor Who, more so than he wants to write Silver Surfer.

I think he's alright, I just want fresh talent on Spider-Man.
>>
>>79117705
>either love or hate
Nothing ever is love or hate. NOTHING. There are people who think being raped is a fairly medioce experience.

And guess what, I think Slott is okay, not bad, fairly decent, nothing special, so stick that in your perspective and smoke it!
>>
>>79121578
>I think Slott is okay
Casual detected.
>>
>>79119287

Does that place still exist? I think it stopped updating half a decade ago.
>>
If he worked any other job in the world his Twitter interactions would have gotten him fired years ago.

But Marvel likes their creatives to be douchebags because it sells. That's tragic.
>>
>>79120331
>Marc Guggenheim
>better writer than Slott
I don't like Slott, but Guggenheim is that strange shade of mediocre that's not bad enough to be terrible and not good enough to be at the very least boring and inoffensive.
As much as I'm tired of Slott, I'd rather read something by him than Guggenheim's bullshit.

I'm glad no one remembers Jackpot anymore.
>>
>>79120331
>Gerry Conway, Ann Nocenti, John Byrne, Bob Gale, and Marc Guggenheim all did a worse job than Slott

That's some shitty bait, anon. You can do better.
>>
>>79117705
He killed Peter Parker for awhile.

Also he does fuck around online too much, he should get off twitter sometime.
>>
>>79122704
But he's wrong only about Conway. (and maybe Nocenti and Gale. Never read any Spider-Man by them)
Byrne's Spider-Man is a travesty and Guggenheim's is rightfully forgotten.
>>
>>79120331
>John Byrne

Christ that run was bad, don't remind me. Outside of the clone saga that was the worst Spidey I ever read.
>>
>>79118263
Except that's wrong. He doesn't write Spider-Man. He writes schlock intended solely to piss people off and promote his own fan fiction "they're the bestest and most special ever" characters in the shittiest ways possible. He's completely abusing his title as writer because he's a self indulged fuck who doesn't care for the fans of the thing he's writing. It makes it worse when he acknowledges what he does, but then goes on a fit like a child if someone points out the problems with it. He honest to god thinks he's doing a good job and, like Michael Bay with Transformers, uses earnings to prove it isn't shit.
>>
>>79122763
>Byrne's Spider-Man is a travesty and Guggenheim's is rightfully forgotten.

They weren't good. Not denying that. But they're still not as bad as Slott.
>>
>>79118212
That's not Bendis, anon. It's Dan Slott.
>>
>>79117705

Is he really an annoying prick as he is on social media or is that just his way of following Marvel's retarded policy of pissing off fans for the sake of sales?
>>
>>79122837
To be fair, you'd be an annoying prick too if you had to deal with Spider-fans for nearly a decade.
>>
>>79119892
is this the beginning of a new pasta?
is slott the new bendis and he will get all the pastas now?
>>
>>79122852
>had to deal with Spider-fans for nearly a decade
He chooses to. And actively trolls them, going out of his way to instigate shit (there is a reason why he routinely gets banned from forums). This wasn't an assignment he was put on unwillingly or something like that.
>>
>>79122905
Could've left when he was ahead. Spider-Island reactions were overwhelmingly positive. Then he went to complete shit not even Slott's fans liked from what I saw.
>>
>>79120927
Again - this doesn't seem 'full retard' to me. Semi-Retard maybe. It's foolish to get that worked up about anons' opinions online.

But it must suck to have someone telling you that you only work on something you're so passionate about for the cheque.

Slott's mistake is engaging with those morons. Otherwise I agree with him.
>>
>>79120867
>Shoehorning in autistic dialogue like "That's crazy-town banana pants!" is a belly buster for sure!
It was a reference to Community.
But it was a reference that was then written in as being something Peter had always said in the past.

So nobody wins.

>>79120891
He probably has some shit on Alonso or Quesada that keeps him on the title.
>>
>>79123119
>this doesn't seem 'full retard' to me

There are plenty of other examples of him being a complete and utter moron.

Have you ever actually heard him talk about Peter Parker as a character? He completely misses the mark.

Or the time he deemed Mary Jane "anti-Marvel" and then proceeded to try to argue that SpOck was a better character because he fucks little people.
>>
>>79120853
>Spider-Verse
Spider-Verse or how I wrote event to push my brand new OCs.
>>
>>79117705
>polarizing

Most people just don't like him because of his online attitude. I've heard he's a pretty cool guy but I'd still give him shit for the crap he's written.

But he writes Spider-man and makes sales based off of controversy. Now that ASM is dropping in sales again, expect Superior 2: Spock Has a Threesome with MJ and Aunt May in Front of Peter.
>>
>>79123265
Its also him just spending an entire story expressing how much he hates Peter Parker. Think about it, its an entire story about systematically murdering Peter Parker over and over again, universe-by-universe. And more often than not, off panel.
>>
>>79123306
Not only that, but he also went out of his way to make stories where the more innocent Peters died gruesome deaths, like "Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends", the Hostess Pies Spider-Man, and even the MvC3 Spider-Man.

The only one who didn't die was the newspaper Spider-Man, and that was probably because he knew that Stan Lee would use one of his consumed souls to create a tulpa that would haunt Slott for eternity.
>>
>>79123306
Oh, yes. He killed really plenty of Peters. Killed everyone from that old cartoon and MvC Spidey.
Dear God. I'm not even Spiderfag, but he went full retard.
>muh Bride
>>
What a toad looking motherfucker.
>>
>>79123442
My god. He -does- look like a toad.
>>
File: mrdanslott.jpg (195 KB, 620x380) Image search: [Google]
mrdanslott.jpg
195 KB, 620x380
>>79123594
>>
>>79123345
Isn't the newspaper strip ongoing?
Probably wasn't allowed to since that's the only thing Stan actively writes anymore.
>>
>>79122860
I hope so, i'm getting hungry
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.