[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what does the comic medium have to offer that other mediums can not?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 14
File: 15_h4uml2utzcy9u2pbt34.jpg (155 KB, 1000x647) Image search: [Google]
15_h4uml2utzcy9u2pbt34.jpg
155 KB, 1000x647
what does the comic medium have to offer that other mediums can not?
>>
>>79045520
What does any medium offer that can't be found in other mediums?
>>
grueling work for little return
>>
Ease of entry to be a play ground for different artists and writers to take a crack at established heros or create their own using the marriage between image and picture.
>>
Nothing.
>>
>>79045550

are you trying to be edgy?

animation offers sound and motion. live action movies offer live action people. video games offer interactivity.
>>
>>79045520
It offers the ability to actually see the world the creator has envisioned, while still retaining elements of prose.
>>
>>79045575
>Ease of entry to be a play ground for different artists and writers to take a crack at established heros
This can be said about literally all folklore and a variety of different characters in pulp/genre fiction. See Flash Gordon, Sherlock Holmes, Doctor Who, etc.
>>
Honestly ??? there allowed to ridiculous other mediums even cartoons are only allowed a certain level of ridiculousness not so with comics
>>
You can flip through the pages and have an idea of the story
>>
>>79045646
/thread
>>
>>79045696
It is hilarious how ridiculous comics can get in comparison to other mediums of entertainment
>>
File: tumblr_m22xlgoNvG1qclhovo1_1280.jpg (347 KB, 1280x1540) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m22xlgoNvG1qclhovo1_1280.jpg
347 KB, 1280x1540
>>79045520
Imagine Shakespeare's prose, with Michelangelo's art. Now imagine they collaborated on a comic.

Not only do you have the best strengths of prose and visual art (leading to a variety of writing styles and artistic styles) but what Will Eisner would call Graphic Storytelling can open up possibilities like this issue of Cerebus, where each page of the comic forms a mosaic.
>>
Read Scott McCloud's book Understanding comics. The book does a much better job than a single 4chan post could ever do. There are plenty of pdfs of the book online you can download.
>>
File: scarw.jpg (608 KB, 1280x984) Image search: [Google]
scarw.jpg
608 KB, 1280x984
how do you portray a page like this in any other medium?
>>
>>79045520
You can experience it at your own pace, go back and forth from panel to panel without severely messing up the story, you can do ahit like symmetric panels and pages like Watchmen did, sometimes you can read a story from the ending to the beginning and it still works (Split second played with this concept).
>>
>>79045828
I got this for Christmas, it's so damn enjoyable.
>>
>>79045696
This and the visualization. If done right the comic itself should be used as a storytelling medium. Also inner monologues as well can be conveyed as a scene is unfolding.
>>
>>79045850
I fucking loved this issue. Rudy's art is gorgeous and the labyrinth like paneling he did on the issue is such an awesome touch for an issue about the Minotaur of Greek mythology.
>>
>>79045604
What does edgy even mean anymore?
>>
>>79045520
The scope of your imagination.

If I'm doing science fiction story as a movie, and I want to have Star Wars level special effects it's going to cost a lot of money. So the only place I can go to get that kind of funding and resources would be a big movie studio like Disney or Warner Bros. Right from the start my vision is being tampered with because I now have to capitulate to the demands of whatever the movie exects want, which is fair, it's their money after all.

In the medium of comics the only budget I need it the cost of Ink and Paper. Even in the most lavishly produced comics, your costs are a fraction of what it takes to make a movie or video game.
>>
No other medium can do this
>>
>>79045604
Theater did live action way before film/tv and has the possibility of interactivity.
>>
>>79045604
going by your retard logic, what do other mediums offer that videogames dont ?
>>
comics
>>
>>79046254
I need more context, im not sure how im supposed to track the events in this page
>>
File: Pax.jpg (714 KB, 761x1188) Image search: [Google]
Pax.jpg
714 KB, 761x1188
>>79046254
not true, other mediums have done scenes where they intertwine different times as people are walking through a set

they can't do it all in one "scene" as this page gives you all the information but live action media can do something very similiar

Id say another page in Pax like this one would be a lot harder to portray in any other medium that had a story element to it.
>>
>>79046507
You go by the level of light and the people involved. It's a pretty simple scene.
>>
>>79046507
There are three scenes: Peacemaker and Nora (the bright panels), Nora and Sarge Steel (light grey), and the Question investigating Nora's murder (the darkest panels)

Read everything at the sametime
>>
>>79046509
I think this could actually work better in live action than >>79046254, you start filling the scream with a jumble of images and lots of noise, and then slowly everything comes together, the noises unify, etc.
>>
>>79046507
Well, they removed the speech bubbles, so that probably doesn't help.
>>
>>79045850
Which comic?
>>
>>79047349
the new Scarlet Witch
>>
>>79045520
Nothing beats a comic that does interesting things with the paneling.
>>
>>79047419
You don't even need to go that crazy. Look at Watchmen's Fearful Symmetry, where the entire issue is symmetrically arranged.
>>
>I can see YOU
>>
File: Lone Sloane.jpg (585 KB, 1202x1600) Image search: [Google]
Lone Sloane.jpg
585 KB, 1202x1600
>>79046180
This. One or two guys can produce a work that in other mediums would cost millions of dollars and need a small army of workers to replicate.
>>
>>79045555
He said comic medium, not cartoon medium.
>>
File: mcpax-smp-2.jpg (154 KB, 1000x769) Image search: [Google]
mcpax-smp-2.jpg
154 KB, 1000x769
>>79047242
>>
File: Here.jpg (122 KB, 1200x870) Image search: [Google]
Here.jpg
122 KB, 1200x870
>>79046509
You are missing what he meant by that image

The eye does not see in panels it sees in pages, you take in the entire page and then process at your own pace.

It is a narrative medium where the complete visual and narrative control is given to the reader.

You choose when to stop when to go when to read further and when to pause.
>>
File: Time1.jpg (184 KB, 475x750) Image search: [Google]
Time1.jpg
184 KB, 475x750
>>
Things dealing with panel to panel pacing mostly. Is that too obvious to state?
>>
File: Time2.jpg (179 KB, 474x750) Image search: [Google]
Time2.jpg
179 KB, 474x750
The answer of course is Time.

Take this simple 3 page scene from Watchmen (my favorite scene in the entire book).

Think about how many different time periods are overlapping here, how many different scenes how many characters unrelated to other scenes overlayed and commenting on scenes they were not part of or alive for.
>>
File: todd-klein-sandman.jpg (44 KB, 500x298) Image search: [Google]
todd-klein-sandman.jpg
44 KB, 500x298
>>79045520
Combination of text and art, and as result lettering and panel layouts. It has a strong visual elements while allowing certain degree of interactivity by allowing the reader to read each page at their own pace, or even doing something no other sequential art can do - allowing reader to pick sequence of the work by themselves, best suited among all mediums for nonlinear storytelling.

I personally recommend looking at panel layouts of Kenneth Rocafort, lettering in Sandman (and lettering by Todd Klein in general) and reading norm-breaking comics that require cracking more like a puzzle, like Futures End: Grayson #1 and Pax Americana to see those things used the most.
>>
>>79046455
Quality writing.
>>
File: Time3.jpg (167 KB, 472x750) Image search: [Google]
Time3.jpg
167 KB, 472x750
There is no messy narrator needed nothing is need to keep the reader up to date on what is happening but all the information is right here to digest at your own pace.

22 Panels over 3 pages and 8 different periods of time, some even are unclear (is he writing in his diary before he goes to the graveyard, or after on reflection, we don't see him do it).
>>
>>79046455
Telling better stories. I don't play video games for their stories though, so whatever
>>
fuck Watchmen is good
>>
>>79046455
Interactivity? Are you braindead or something? Also it's easier to evoke emotions in the consumer when it is them, the player, who performs actions. What other medium than videogames can make you feel guilty as a part of the story?
>>
>>79048331

>can make you feel guilty as a part of the story?

there's some fucked exploration out there, like i dunno Cannibal Holocaust
>>
>>79048193
>>79048213
>>79048248
but I don't wanna reread Watchmen
>>
>>79048373
do it you slut
>>
File: Invisibles 7 Guilty.jpg (119 KB, 970x774) Image search: [Google]
Invisibles 7 Guilty.jpg
119 KB, 970x774
>>79048331
That is an ever present conundrum that art has been dealing with since the Marquis de Sade
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.