[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This was actually okay My biggest complaint was there was too
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
This was actually okay

My biggest complaint was there was too much Earth, not enough Oa

Why the hate?
>>
Taking something awesome and just making meh is unforgivable. Take Ant-man for example. I had zero interest in the comic and anything to do with it. But I said fuck it, and gave the movie a shot. I immediately became invested in all the main characters. With the exception of the villain because he had very little backstory, everyone else was interesting. And this was a movie based on a comic hero I couldn't give a shit about with (what I thought) was a boring and useless power.

Now take GL which I've seen a lot in animation with a superpower I think is interesting. Almost immediately I don't really care about the character even though the two movies already have a few similarities (hell, they even both go to a kid's birthday party). I'm not really that invested in him or the girl or the rest of the core. The lesser villain was forgettable (the teacher). They're not horrible...just...OK. And that's unforgivable. And I do believe Reynolds did the best he could given the script/director. Not blaming him.

I thought Parallax looked fucking amazing though.
>>
>>79035435
It was like Ant man boring and shitty
With a miscast lead actor
>>
They used Parallax and a weird version of Hector Hammond instead of, say, Atrocitus, or Black Hand, or the Qwarsians. They should've just adapted either Emerald Dawn or Secret Origin.
>>
>>79035435
Johns contribution to the scrip was shit and forced parallax in, the people trying to fix it did a terrible job, to many cooks fuck up the food
>>
Massive budget cut halfway through production. All of the space shit was gorgeous, all of the Earth stuff looked like trash. Also the attempt to make it like Iron Man. It's like they made a quarter of a good movie, chopped it up and patched it into a terrible movie.

>>79035868
It pretty much was Secret Origin.
>>
They forgot the "lovable" part of Lovable Asshole.
>>
>>79035435
I felt like they should have either married the movie to Earth or Oa but not both.

If it was just on Earth then it would be fine because he could be a superhero just by himself and the sequel could be just in space.

If it was just on OA it would have been fine because he could learn to be a hero with the corps.

But they wanted a big budget, CGI, to please fanboys and to have a love interest. So this is what we got.
>>
>>79036776
But that means he is just an asshole.
>>
>>79035435
The movie was badly structured. Geoff Johns was thinking about it from the perspective of someone writing a multi-part comic book arc, and that doesn't work well in a movie where you need to have a specific set of escalating beats. They showed all the good stuff early on in the movie, had the biggest-scale action scene somewhere in the middle that felt underdeveloped, and then they had another climax.

They should have had Hal learn to use the ring and suit on his own, do his superheroics on earth, then the shit with Parallax and Hammond happens, followed by Hal fighting Parallax and then finally the Corps shows up and they all fight Parallax together. Hal is taken back to Oa where he is officially brought into the Corps and we see some of his training during the epilogue.

That's a simple fix. I think the fans would have preferred Training Day in Space, but even with a simple restructuring of what order events take place in, the movie would have been 10x more enjoyable. Instead, we saw all the cool stuff in space early on, and then after that everyone is just reacting to his green suit which we've already seen hundreds of, not to mention all the other stuff on Oa which was much cooler and more exciting. The movie basically tripped over itself.

Also, the Corps vs. Parallax scene just felt like a waste. Not only did they get their asses handed to them only for Hal to beat Parallax solo later on, but the scene played out like a music video, or a video game. I'm not really sure which, but in either case it didn't feel like I was watching a movie. Maybe I'm just spoiled by Star Wars but I think they could have done a much better space battle than that.

I don't hate the movie, but at the same time I understand fully why it flopped.
>>
>>79036745
Yeah, but they should have used Atrocitus. Jesus, years later, and I'm still so fucking pissed about their villain choice.
>>
>>79037350
If they did Atrocitus with any justice at all it would've ended with the same problem of the villain being better developed, more sympathetic and justifiable in his actions than the hero.

Green Lantern has a laundry list of problems and choice the villain is a comparatively minor one.
>>
>>79035435
>Why the hate?

It didn't have the Marvel logo
>>
File: comics_greenlanternpaint - Copy.jpg (522 KB, 1998x1089) Image search: [Google]
comics_greenlanternpaint - Copy.jpg
522 KB, 1998x1089
>>79037350
Really Hammond would have been fine if they did him well and didn't shoehorn Parallax in, in fact he basically would have worked like a copy of Obediah Stane from the first Iron Man. That''s the problem with the movie, it feels like an Iron Man clone and a more Gil Kane-esque space movie just kind of smushed together lazily.

It tried to be two movies simultaneously: the one Warner Bros wanted, and the one DC wanted, and failed at both.
>>
I think when you're sympathizing with the main villain more than anything the hero did, you fucked up
>>
>>79037909
People are just too used to the writers' self-fullfilment fantasy of the nerd guy being the hero and the jock asshole being the villain
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.