[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do you like Spider-Man?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 13
File: spider_man_by_jimbo0311-d49jt9q.png (628 KB, 534x801) Image search: [Google]
spider_man_by_jimbo0311-d49jt9q.png
628 KB, 534x801
As time has went on, I started to lose my interest in Spider-Man. I want to gain interest in the Web Slinger. Tell me why I should have interest in the Wall Crawler.
>>
>>79026876
Dont bother being a Spider-Man fan is suffering.
>>
File: silk2.png (790 KB, 1280x892) Image search: [Google]
silk2.png
790 KB, 1280x892
you should give up and read web warriors and silk instead
>>
Aesthetics and moveset.
>>
File: 1440555644645.png (134 KB, 419x559) Image search: [Google]
1440555644645.png
134 KB, 419x559
Spider-man is the only superhero I've ever wanted to be
>>
>>79026876
You shouldn't, he's a nerd power fantasy with frequent dives into blatant Gary Studom peppered with empty character deaths and broken relationships to give the illusion of depth and actual character development.
>>
>>79027526
>meme buzzwords

I suspect you don't have anything to contribute to the thread.
>>
>>79026926
silk is a load of shit
>>
>>79026876

DC is much better than Marvel. Liking Spider-Man is a simple way to dip your toe into Marvel, and bragging to your friends that you do give Marvel a chance.
>>
>>79027728
I like both so what's the problem
>>
>>79026876
Because he's not a hero due to a faultless or selfless personality.
Peter's a hero because he's a walking ball of guilt and he first used his powers for selfish reasons. He's a hero despite himself and I enjoy that. He can want to put down the mask to live a normal life, but need to keep it on due to knowing that he can make a difference and save at least one more life.
That's why I liked Peter... well some versions of Peter.

Spidey's an acrobatic fighter with a previously fairly unique set of powers and gadgets, a cool mode of transportation (web-slinging... not those gay cars and bikes they give him), and he's a jokester.
Plus, despite being powerful, many of his foes are huge threats and he can't just power through, he needs to think up a plan or invent a doo-dad to tackle his foe's powerset.
>>
Balancing his superhero life with his personal life, with doing good coming at expense of his happiness, is a cool conflict and a great theme.

His costume and powers are also cool.

>>79027526
He's full of character flaws and his life is suffering. He's the exact opposite of a power fantasy.
>>
>>79027129
This.

Spiderman is more likeable as a videogame character to me now.
>>
>>79027728
This desu
Spiderman stuff is the only marvel I've ever really enjoyed

well, and a little daredevil...don't judge
>>
Are you asking why you should be interested in Spider-Man the character, or Spider-Man the currently published comic book series?

The two have very little in common.

The Spider-Man formula is great, but we haven't had anything resembling a real Spider-Man book since JRJR left the book or maybe when Paul Jenkins stopped being able to do his own thing.

Since then, it's been awful shakeups, Avengers, and Slott's recurring status quo shifts. There's been some pretty good Waid and Kelly stories in there during BND, but for the vast majority of the last decade, the Spider-Man that was once one of Marvel's most recognizable and beloved franchises has just been skating by on the assumption that he is.

Fantastic Four has done more to try to earn its place in the Marvel mythos in the last decade than the Spider-Man franchise.

Blah, makes me sad.
>>
I like Spider-Man because he's a very human character. He has trouble in his life, and as a hero, and, I can relate to younger Pete in high school who was picked on and shit. I just love how he's a very good hero when written correctly. Which is why I want Slott off fucking Amazing already.
>>
>>79027728
Fuck yourself companywars faggot
I think Spidey is pretty shit btw
>>
I love the movies and in the video games he's hilarious. I've never seen writing as clever as his anywhere else's and I always get a good laugh out of his lines.
>>
File: 1451642553081.jpg (41 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
1451642553081.jpg
41 KB, 306x306
>>79027937
>He can want to put down the mask to live a normal life, but need to keep it on due to knowing that he can make a difference and save at least one more life.
You read my mind /co/mrade. This kind of heroism brings a tear to my eye
>>
>>79031183
Fuck off
>>
>>79030393
Daredevil is great anon, no one is judging

Classic 70-90 Spider-man and Daredevil are probably the best series Marvel ever put out.
>>
Aesthetics, best villains in Marvel, and he's a deeply flawed person, which makes him an interesting character to me.
>>
>>79031099
Honestly, this. Even at his best Slott is incapable of good character writing. He always ends up with one-dimensional caricatures of characters he's supposed to write, unless it's Joker, but you can't get any more one-dimensional than that anyway.
>>
>Funny
>Smart
>Cool powers and gadgets
>Strives to inspire people and make them feel safe with his "friendly neighborhood Spider-Man" personality, instead of focusing on scaring criminals or just ignoring civilians all the time
>Street-level, but still really powerful
>Not bulletproof
>>
>>79027689
>I suspect you don't have anything to contribute to the thread.
Just the truth.
Sorry you don't want to hear it.
>>79029658
>He's full of character flaws and his life is suffering
Oh no, he can't choose between saving the world and fostering his personal life! Such flaws! Maybe next time he'll get to that date on time!
>He's the exact opposite of a power fantasy.
Real problem here is you don't know what power fantasy is.
I'll give you some time to look it up.
>>
first, his costume, it's pretty good, the variety is astonishing

second, his rogue gallery, all those guys are as interesting as spidey himself

third, he can change as he wants to, and I mean from "nerd" to "chad", from a funny guy to a nightmare

also so many people underestimate his powers, he can easily wrek teams and shit
>>
File: spider-man-villains.jpg (49 KB, 465x261) Image search: [Google]
spider-man-villains.jpg
49 KB, 465x261
>>79032254
>All of spider-mans rogues are interesting

A few of them are pretty good, but most are just thugs with powers that want to kill Spider-man and rob banks.
>>
File: 1451552187519.jpg (62 KB, 585x898) Image search: [Google]
1451552187519.jpg
62 KB, 585x898
I think his costume so so good and apealing people love him solely on that fact and don't even realize it

Its been regarded as one of the best costumes in comic books

He has a quipping sparky additude that the superhero fanbases very much needs, with so many heros being so serious.

We project ourselves in him becuase he has a full mask

Its the awe and amazement of such a wild concept of swing though the air, acrobatics, and superstrength

When I see spiderman I want to see him punch something really hard
It might be my childlike nostalga from growing up with spiderman. We grew up with spideman. A wacky concept that sounds awsome! Especially to a kid.

Why spiderman is mostly a teenager?Its a time that most of us can relate to. Being a young kid with and just wanting to punch the right thing

Reason why marvel doesnt want spiderman to not be a teenager is cus then we can't relate to him so much.

Spiderman is so popular cus somewhere he represents an EGO inside of us. Hes not to like superman alien with heat vision, he is like us.

He is such a weird concept its the creativity of a childs imagination.
spiderman is a self insert character
>>
File: image.jpg (135 KB, 500x734) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
135 KB, 500x734
>>79026876
Long story short, I discovered comics and learned to read at a very young age because I saw him on PBS back in the day.

>he is an Everyman
>he is the same person in and out of costume
>relatable problems: women, school, work, family, friends, bills, etc.
>tries to do the right thing and makes mistakes
>actually evolved as a character for decades from angry nerd, to having fun in college, to getting married.
>actually had consequences to actions and lasting emotional reactions to events that influenced other choices in the future.

Peter Parker is the penultimate bridge character between the extremes of Superman and Batman.

I'm not going to turn this into a blog post. Amazing Spider Man comics have had a big impact on my life, so that's part of my interest in the character. I haven't liked much of what marvel has done with Peter since the clone saga.

To close this out I'm going to post 4 pages from ASM 33, which for me define Parker.

1/4
>>
File: image.jpg (246 KB, 700x1025) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
246 KB, 700x1025
>>79033026
2/4
>>
File: image.jpg (241 KB, 700x1030) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
241 KB, 700x1030
>>79033041
3/4
>>
File: image.jpg (120 KB, 500x726) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
120 KB, 500x726
>>79033052
4/4

4 of my favorite pages ever. Got chills the first time I read them.
>>
>>79033026
>he is the same person in and out of costume
What? A huge part of his character is that he gets to be a huge dick when he luts the mask on.
Ditko's version also has him be hugely socially awkward out of costume
>>
>>79032119
So are you just gonna be a 'holier than thou' prick, or are you actually gonna dissect the character?
>>
I like him because he actually wants to make a difference. He has the power set to take on international issues but he's just a guy from Queens who's just trying to help. The best parts of Spider-Man are when he interacts with people whether he's talking down criminal or helping someone with personal problems. That's kinda why I hate that they just made him Iron Man lite, sure he can help people on a wider scale but it makes him lose his personal touch
>>
>>79033115
That's when he is still in high school.
I feel that as he got more mature, the differences between Peter and Spidey blurred and he became more Parker. He had worries that carried over into costume and vice versa.
>>
1st superhero I was introduced to as a kid.
Unique powers.
Love how they incorporate dynamic poses for him.
Snarky quipper.
Iconic suit.
Interesting rogue gallery.
They made Peter Parker relatable, both as a nerd turned hero and also the fact that his Peter Parker life is just as troublesome as his Spider-Man life.

Also, got bored. Decided to get rid of the watermark if anyone wanted to use it as a phone background or something.
>>
Spider-Man discussions were more fun when Superior Spider-Man was around.
>>
>>79033744
I liked Edge of Spider-Verse Prologue Part 1 and 2, wish we'd see more Spock as some future Spidey or some shit, he's better there
>>
Personally I think it's an age thing. When I was a kid, I loved heroes like Spider-Man. But now as I've gotten older, I have a solid job and a life and what not, I relate to more philosophical and mature heroes, like Doctor Strange. I read Ditko's run shortly before I left college and it shifted my perspective on what I look for in heroes.
>>
>>79026910
I am an ever lasting fan of Spider-Man. Have been since my childhood. I no longer read Marvel at all.
>>
Back in black cemented me being a Spidey fan. That prison beatdown.

Also the first instance of Spock, with him realizing that Pete has been holding back this entire time.
>>
>>79027728
saying Dc is better than Marvel is like saying that dicks taste delicious and you can't get enough of them. You basically just told us all that you're a faggot... ps Spidey rules and spidernigger doesn't
>>
>>79026876
Spider-Man comics have been shit since the 90's. If you want a good Spider-Man comics then you're better off with some Ditko shit or the third Raimi movie because at least that was enjoyable in it's shittyness unlike the other two goddamn mediocre garbage shitfest that for some fucking reason all these goddamn nostalgiaglasses faggots love even though it completely fucking bastardizes everything all the old writers made great IMO
>>
>>79027526
He was never a nerd as much as he was a normal kid that loved science and cared about an education; but also a genius with parents in the CIA. It's more common than you might think, people caring about knowledge. Back in the 60's a sweater vest over a button up shirt was casual clothing. The rest of the supporting cast were jocks and cheerleaders and rich kids.
>>
>>79032119
>Oh no, he can't choose between saving the world and fostering his personal life! Such flaws! Maybe next time he'll get to that date on time!
Turns into much bigger issues than that as he gets older. If you're going to bash something at least know what you're talking about.
>>
>>79032332
>A few of them are pretty good, but most are just thugs with powers that want to kill Spider-man and rob banks.
So what? Street level. Still interesting if you've actually read it.
>>
>>79034805
That was before. Now he bangs supermodels and can give Tony run for his technological money.
>>
>>79034844
You shouldn't consider anything from Marvel NOW on to be headcanon.
>>
>>79033744
>fun
>calling people peterfags
>>
>>79034896
Call em how we see em.
>>
>>79035236
The point is you think that's a fun discussion.

Spock literally admitted Peter was better
>>
>>79027728
I agree, sipderman is the only worthwhile character in Marvel
>>
>>79035265
Every Spider-Man that isn't Peter admits Peter is better, that's part of being a Gary Stu.
Also Spockfags are very much a thing, it's just that they know they're Spockfags.
>>
>>79026876
i remember i bought this poster at a con
it was the first and last poster i ever gave a fuck about
i met the artist in a spiderman costume
we had the same taste in women
we did the transaction
it was the only poster on my wall
it fell at some point and i had pet rats who would roam around the room and shit like a playground
they chewed up a part of the poster
fuck
>>
File: 1441766826292.png (1 MB, 1129x875) Image search: [Google]
1441766826292.png
1 MB, 1129x875
>>79035451
>Not framing your poster
>>
>>79026876
I liked him as a kid, but same as OP, I lost interest in him as I grew up.
>>
>unique powerset
>cool costume
>had a multitude of well written, memorable stories up until everything went to shit
>brings levity during awful times
>basically an A-rank hero that's constantly dealing with street-level thugs on top of his already massive workload, so he gets shit on by the super community like he's weak, but he's a trooper about the whole situation

there
>>
>>79026926
As decent as her comic is now. She will always be Slott's baby Mary Sue.
>>
>>79026876
Highschool spiderman is shit spiderman
>>
>>79026876
He's a bit of an everyman who can appreciate the ridiculousness of the situations he ends up in, and makes light of it with his quips.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.