[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /co/, just got into SVA for animation. What are some of the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 11
File: S4e10_tired_princess_bubblegum.png (166 KB, 845x477) Image search: [Google]
S4e10_tired_princess_bubblegum.png
166 KB, 845x477
hey /co/, just got into SVA for animation. What are some of the biggest problems you have with todays cartoons that you don't want to see in the future?
>>
They're too nice and the writers aren't funny.
>>
>>79020623
>Asking /co/
>>
>>79020623
Bring back slapstick

Bring back offensive cartoons

Stop giving in to fat depressed lesbians on tumblr.
>>
File: a-af.jpg (124 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
a-af.jpg
124 KB, 720x480
>>79020623
Whatever this style is. It sucks.
>>
>>79020672
I'd get a more realistic response from /co/ than from tumblr
>>
File: 1447578944539.png (38 KB, 175x200) Image search: [Google]
1447578944539.png
38 KB, 175x200
>too much progressive for sake of progressive

>characters acting out of character

>forced feels and drama
Feels/drama is okay if done right

>An actual good villain
No Bill Cipher shit

>A good story arc
Adventure Time and Gravity Falls had it going but they blew it just as it was getting good. Especially GF, holy shit.
>>
>>79020623

No pandering. Do your thing and let it stand out on its own.
>>
File: Faang.jpg (6 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
Faang.jpg
6 KB, 259x194
>>79020623
Penis
>>
>>79020623
I don't really want anything to go away. I want to see more of everything. I want there to be something for everyone.

The 90s wasn't the greatest decade to exist or anything, but at least when it came to cartoons you could simply change the channel to find the kinda show you wanted to watch.

Right now we're down to what feels like 3 channels and maybe 4 kinds of shows at best.

Bring back the variety.
>>
Is SVA a good school? I've been interested in a while, and it seems like a pretty good school.
>>
>>79020623
NO MORE PROGRESSIVENES PLEASE
Also we need more people that know how to make a good fight scene, focus on that shit a lot since apparently no one else is
>>
File: 1423590202717.png (6 KB, 478x373) Image search: [Google]
1423590202717.png
6 KB, 478x373
>>79020623
This may be one of the most subtle shitposts I have ever seen on this website! Well done, OP!
>>
>>79020623
i want serious quality action violence again
good luck
>>
>>79020623

The fans.
>>
>>79020623
>attending art school
>animation courses

But in slightly more seriousness, just picture what would make up your own favorite show. Make that. Make yourself laugh, ya shit.
>>
>>79020623
>What are some of the biggest problems you have with todays cartoons that you don't want to see in the future?
I want all the whiny douchebags on 4chan who are literally unpleaseable and define themselves by "opposing" other websites to go away. Anything you can do about that?
>>
>>79021981
this OP you just want your dick sucked
>>
Stop being so scared to make gay characters

More fucking plot cartoons with good animation
>>
No tweening ever again
>>
>>79020623
If the good character fights for freedom and the bad guy for control again I'll eat a bullet.

Make up some other kind of conflict that isn't Freedomboy vs Hitler please.
>>
I wanna see more solid character designs. Not the "bad on purpose" trend that AT started.
>>
You're getting a degree in drawing key frames for south korean animators to work off of?

Everyone cool does the storyboarder/writer combo these days, that's how you get your own show.
>>
Good female characters. Not the flat "nice" archetype that almost every single one of them has.
>>
>>79020623
They don't make me want to go buy toys of the main characters.
>>
>>79022270
But Wander Over Yonder has great animation
>>
Just no more round teeth and noodle arms.
>>
>>79020795
I agree with this.

Bill Cipher was good unless he had more than 2 minutes of screen time then he suddenly turn into shit. Pretty hard to make someone seem mysterious when he is just another stereotypical villain all of the way to the point where he shout out his plans like as if he was a Saturday morning cartoon villain of the week on Power Rangers or something.

Adventure Time was good until they kept on undoing anything that was interesting. How long did Finn went armless? Like 5 episodes max? That should been a whole season thing at the least. Even the Grass Sword went to shit as soon it appear.

Basically don't drop the fucking ball. If you going to do something then fucking do it.
>>
>>79020623
Too much innovation on television and not enough innovation on the web. Look, I get it. You need to eat. But you have downtime. We all have downtime. Where's this generation's Homestar Runner?
>>
File: listen, dipshit.jpg (105 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
listen, dipshit.jpg
105 KB, 300x400
>>79022244

>Stop being so scared to make gay characters

Except new artists who aren't total enigmas that don't care about fame have every reason to be scared of trying to make gay characters.

Why? Because making any kind of character that isn't a standard straight white man/woman is a goddamn minefield of opinionated screechers who will claw your fucking face off if one iota of detail isn't to their liking.

If you make a gay character that's a flamboyant, prancing rainbow-emblazoned cock connoisseur/carpet muncher with no other character traits besides being homosexual, you piss off the actual gays who hate getting stereotyped so incorrectly, the same way black people hate white people dressing in all black, putting on big red false lips and talking in a retarded accent.

If you make a gay character that's subtle, which is nearly-impossible to pull off unless you make their sexuality as in-the-background as that of a straight character who isn't sex-obsessed, you get hordes of fat straight college girls from tumblr who've never even met a gay person screaming that you didn't make a "REAL" gay character, while also threatening you, doing their best to spread your personal information online and trying to get you fired from any job you have.

And if you somehow find a midpoint, either both groups will come down on you in rage for "doing it wrong", or no one will notice your comic/story/movie/series/whatever exists because it isn't extreme/controversial enough to garner mass attention.

None of this is all that bad if you're used to places like this and being called every insult and slur under the sun every hour or so, and thus are used to replying to such vitriol with "lol fuck off, my art, I do what I want", but the typical artist has never been hardened to shit-flinging by being in such an environment for even small periods let alone extended periods, and the sudden wave of angry faceless assholes will tear them apart inside and out.
>>
File: 1445920676232.png (11 KB, 317x361) Image search: [Google]
1445920676232.png
11 KB, 317x361
>>79022894

Forgot to contribute my own ideas, to actually be on-topic in here lest the designated shit-scrapers come for my soul:

>interesting morality that isn't just flat "genuine good vs. indisputable evil"

Not necessarily any edgy and overdone shit like "THE BAD GUY WAS GOOD AND GOOD GUYS SCREWED UP, PLOT TWIST", but something where it was more of a neutral "ideology vs. ideology with no concrete morals" thing could be neat.

Maybe follow a stylized version of U.S. politics in terms of basic structure, where both sides think they know what's best and are at odds due to different methods and ideologies, rather than just "YAY I'M GOOD" and "MWAHAHA I'M EVIL".

>female slapstick/expense jokes and female character development that are just as in-depth as male equivalents

It would be amazing to see a cartoon/comic/etc. that actually had female characters take as much shit for the sake of jokes and grow as much as characters as the male ones, a massive break from the usual "no making fun of or hurting women/forcing them to struggle" rule of modern entertainment.

Personally, every obnoxious woman I've ever met in my life was that way because she was coddled into thinking she was a perfect little princess who'd never ever be laughed at or have to improve as a person to succeed in life. Not that your art would rectify that, but it'd be nice to see a positive change that both made sense and infuriated tumblr-browsing, safe space-dwelling fat girls who think they're infallible just because they have a cooch.

>violence depicted in a manner that isn't "OH MY GOD, SO WRONG YOU SICK BASTARD, YOU KILLED A MAN AND NOW YOU'RE EVIL" horseshit

It'd be nice to see actual distinctions made in how violence is used and for what reasons in the story, i.e. having the hero hurting bad people for good reasons not be shat-upon as him going evil/nuts or some other nonsense. Doesn't matter if it's good old fashioned PG K.O. kung fu or plain old guns and blades that kill people.
>>
More diversity.
>>
>>79023383
Die in a fire.
>>
>>79023326
Jesus Christ Anon. We dont need a god damn term paper.
>>
File: READ A BOOK NIGGER.jpg (49 KB, 566x480) Image search: [Google]
READ A BOOK NIGGER.jpg
49 KB, 566x480
>>79023520

Oh no, I actually bothered to go in-depth on what I meant rather than just posting two or three lines and/or "moar waifus", since I figured someone actually looking for ideas would like detail to build upon/use in their own shit. Boo-fucking-hoo.
>>
>>79022244
gay isn't real. modern gaiety is so new it's ridiculous. nobody could possibly 'learn it' well enough to depict it. It took us til the 90s to learn how to accurately depict 70s faggotry
>>
>>79020623

Not enough characters die or mutate into horrible abominations anymore.

Back in my day that happened all the time.
>>
I want more serious shit.

I miss batman
>>
Please for the love of God, don't make another cartoon with heavy anime/video game references, casual everyday bro speak ("Today was total butt!"), and chiptune music.

As long as you don't do that, your cartoon will be a huge breath of fresh fucking air.

It would also be nice to not have another pair of lesbians in kids cartoons. They're getting a little too over represented. But the first three points are far more important than this.
>>
>>79020623
>starts thread with adventure time
You've already failed me anon.
>>
>>79023520
People like you are why real discussion is so damn hard to find these days.
>>
>>79029668
Real discussion doesn't need entire pages written on an Internet forum for autists who go "Give me what I want because I am always right or I will bitch at you."
>>
>>79020712
>Bring back offensive cartoons

please no

>HA HA HERE'S AN ETHNIC STEREOTYPE, AREN'T WE EDGY AND THEREFORE FUNNY?
>>
>>79022664
>Adventure Time was good until they kept on undoing anything that was interesting. How long did Finn went armless? Like 5 episodes max?

Yea this really pissed me off, especailly since it was heavily foreshadowed many times throughout the show.
>>
>>79020623
Keep a standard height chart.
Police up your animation so it isn't inconsistent, blurry, fuck ugly garbage.
>>
>>79020623
The lack of people willing to strike out on their own and work on independent features instead of corporate work is really a big problem for the art. Really try to emulate Ralph Bakshi as near as you can.
>>
>>79020712
This has the makings of a new Seth MacFarlane show
>>
Continue to be progressive, I drink the tears of people who get upset when a show has female characters in reasonable roles.
>>
>>79022664
Only thing that has me hyped for the finale is the plotline is "Bill has a secret motive and plan" (plus, the ultimate sacrifice is also intriguing, but that's not relating to this atm)
>>
>>79023715
>oh no
>>
>>79033587
It's not that, most people hate it because "muh badass girl, fuck yea, i don't take no guys shit we're the best" is maximum cringe.

If a girl is in a responsible role and isn't at all pretentious about it, fucking great then
>>
>>79030987
Not everything needs to be bumped, especially if you're not going to contribute anything.
>>
>>79020623
Hey, I go to SVA, lets hang out!
>>
>>79033587
Holy fuck that's not even the reason why. Not even.

not even surprised /co/mblr is this simple minded.
>>
>>79020623
>What are some of the biggest problems you have with todays cartoons that you don't want to see in the future?
overseas animators

this shit needs to fuck off
>>
>>79023326
>interesting morality that isn't just flat "genuine good vs. indisputable evil"

Cartoons are for kids,

If you want moral ambiguity that reflects the ambivalence of real life watch The Wire instead.
>>
File: comic2.png (651 KB, 900x2000) Image search: [Google]
comic2.png
651 KB, 900x2000
Just do what feels right for you, dude
Use your voice and you'll attract people who enjoy what you're dishing out
Art is a conversation and in both, you can easily tell when someone is just putting on a facade to appeal to a certain demographic
>>
>>79027743
>They're getting a little too over represented.
Nigg there's only like, three shows you could say that about, that isn't "over-representation"
>>
File: 11111.png (135 KB, 322x585) Image search: [Google]
11111.png
135 KB, 322x585
>>79020623
Bad art.

Bad animation.
>>
>>79020623

Gross gags such as farts, mucus, and gore.

Why is this funny?
>>
>>79035680
One of those shows being where an entire race are basically lesbians.

>B-but Namekians!
Namekians didn't seductively dance with one another to fuse or constantly blush around each other while talking about their feelings for one another.

The other show literally hijacked its focus away from the little boy adventurer so we can see the relationship building between the two side character *hint hint* lesbians.
>>
>>79035680
Have you watched anything that isn't a cartoon? They're definitely over-represented in live-action. The only difference is that we have male gay couples scattered about to try and balance it. Cartoons on
>>
>>79035644
He isn't necessarily talking about cartoons in the sense of Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny and whatnot, but just animation in general.
>>
>>79020623
Guns and explosions, also robots. Also sci-fi westerns.

These are all things I miss a lot.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.