[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should you do a good thing even though it would be motivated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: sebastian says shut up.jpg (280 KB, 980x1642) Image search: [Google]
sebastian says shut up.jpg
280 KB, 980x1642
Should you do a good thing even though it would be motivated out of guilt or a desire to feel good about yourself?
>>
>>78997646
>should you do good things if you end up feeling good about yourself and thats good

what a stupid ass question.
>WELP I felt good about myself for saving those orphans guess i can no longer be spiderman
>>
Of course. Good things remain good even if done for shitty reasons. Rather have people focus their selfishness that way than the other.
>>
>>78997646
i only do good things that make me feel bad about myself, op
>>
That's the wrong question. People should do good things period.

The real question is whether that good thing is actually good for you or not. Maybe you're building up a false identity that eventually crumbles because you're ashamed of who you actually are. Maybe you don't even understand your own motivation, and the whole campaign is just a lie to yourself.

And hey, maybe that's still worth it. Maybe the good you do really is worth the hollowing out of a single human being. But you have to think about it.
>>
>>78997646
I think the question isn't whether you should do good things, but if those good things are as meaningful if they're born out of selfish impulses.
>>
>>78997646
only actions matter, not the reasons behind those actions.
>>
If satisfying your own conscience or ego is the only bad part then it would probably be worse if you chose not to do it. Doing good things because you want the praise and approval of others may be more of a grey area but the devil is in the details.
>>
>>78997646
Stop trying to avoid doing good things you weenie.
>>
>>78997646

>>78998048
Penis
>>
>>78997646
Humans are fundamentally self interested, rational beings.

So the question is moot as you won't do things unless they benefit you in some way.
>>
>>78997646

Define "good"; does good only require benefit to a party other than yourself? Does good require fairness, so that any benefits you receive must be roughly equal to another party? Does good require selflessness? Does good require that you suffer, or at least put yourself at a disadvantage?

If you're really interested go read philosophers; start at Aquinas, work your way through the alphabet until you hit Zeno (one of them at least).
>>
>>78998670
Yes, yes, no, no.
Any philosophers match that?
>>
>>78997646

Sure. Whatever your motivations were, someone else's life has been improved by your actions.
>>
Didn't you know OP? Everyone on 4chan has a doctorate in Philosophy.

Personally OP, if I'm reading your question right, then no, you shouldn't feel bad. People do good things to feel better about themselves every day.

However, there is a significant difference between the rich man who donates 5 large golden coins, and the poor old woman who donates 3 copper ones. Pour your mind around that one.
>>
Consider that any motivation you have to do anything is fueled by a want or need

Everything you do is selfish, whether your actions fuel your ethical beliefs or greed. It doesn't matter in the slightest if you've done good.
>>
>>78997646
Yes, you should do good no matter what kind of sick, perverted thrill it gives you.

Dumbass.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.