[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Academy Awards / Oscars - Animated Nominees
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 6
File: oscars.jpg (49 KB, 846x846) Image search: [Google]
oscars.jpg
49 KB, 846x846
Academy Award nominations were just announced.

>Best Animated Feature
Anomalisa
Boy and the World
Inside Out
Shaun the Sheep Movie
When Marnie Was There

Inside Out also picked up a nomination for Best Original Screenplay

>Best Animated Short
Bear Story
Prologue
Sanjay's Super Team
We Can't Live Without Cosmos
World of Tomorrow
>>
>>78978247
How long until /a/ weeb comes here to claim 'When Marnie Was There' is better than the others ?
>>
>>78978247
Inside Out will win. This year the Pixar movie and the best movie are the same thing, so I'm happy with that.
>>
>>78978247
obviously inside out will win

also poor good dinosaur... it was real shit
>>
would be great for amonalisa to win
>>
Friendly reminder that the Oscars are rigged.
and that when it comes to animation, the voters dont even watch all the movies.

which means Inside Out will win because it is most popular.
>>
>>78978247
Inside Out will win since it's the safe bet and that's how these nominations.
>>
Yikes. This was a really dull year for animation.
>>
>>78978345
I liked it a lot. I got drunk and cried while watching it.
>>
>>78978247
I want Anomalisa to win but it'll so obviously be Inside Out.
>>
>>78978446
This.

Though it is nice to see all of these smaller and foreign films get nominated for a change.

Honestly, the nominations usually are fine (inb4 muh Lego Movie), it is the winners that tend to be a joke.
>>
>>78978446
No, Inside Out will win because it's Pixar. But it also deserves to win so whatever.
>>
>>78978247
>Anomalisa
Is that a Paranorman sequel?
>>
>>78978247
>no Little Prince
>no Peanuts

yup, shit
>>
>>78978345
I'm the biggest Ghibli-fag in the world, and even I know that film was average at best.
>>
>>78978523
It was a really dull year for movies in general. The Best Picture nomination list makes me want to go to sleep.
>>
>>78978743
The Little Prince hasn't been released in the US yet, it'll be eligible next year.
>>
Given what it's up against, Inside Out could nab that screenplay gong.
>>
Inside Out will probably win. What I'm surprised is how Inside Out's original score got snubbed off the list.
>>
>>78978888
i literally dont remember a single background song.

and this is coming from someone who memorized the whole HTTYD2 score on first viewing.
>>
The Oscars are a fucking joke, who cares. The judges don't even watch the movies.
>>
What should win best short, Cosmos or World of Tomorrow?
>>
>>78978918
Man, I'd be happy with either.
>>
>>78978817
>animation winning against a live action movie in a category that isn't music

Spotlight's already won Best Original Screenplay, as much as it kills me to say it.
>>
>>78978909
That's because John Powell is God, though.

One cannot compare him to mere mortals like Giacchino.

Honestly, I'm just wondering how Star Wars: TFA got a score nomination (outside of the fact that it's Star Wars and it's John Williams - who always gets a nomination for something). Outside of the familiar theme I can't remember a single part of that soundtrack.
>>
The only good thing that could come out of this is if Williams wins Best Short
>>
File: idk.jpg (92 KB, 384x313) Image search: [Google]
idk.jpg
92 KB, 384x313
>>78978940
Rey's Theme probably, given it's high view count on sites like spotify. Every time I leave a thread debating whether or not she's a mary sue I get that damn song stuck in my head, but I'm even a sucker for Williams less notable scores
>>
File: 01_Entête_PNTS-1200x893.png (2 MB, 1200x893) Image search: [Google]
01_Entête_PNTS-1200x893.png
2 MB, 1200x893
>>78978247
No Peanuts, what. It probably shouldn't win if it was nominated but a nomination is good enough. Just like Charlie Brown
>>
>>78978926
Honestly the academy houses animation just out of courtesy. Academy Awards is a shit show in general, but when it comes to animation it's horrid.

Reminder that for 1988 Who Framed Roger Rabbit got seven noms and FOUR DAMN WINS while Akira got NOTHING.
>>
>>78979036
Akira is jap shit weeaboo
>>
>>78979026
Do you ever think that Disney pays off nominee voters to 'eliminate' the nominees most threatening to their films chances?

Last year it was Lego Movie, and this year basically every American animated film besides Inside Out and the little critical darling Anamolisa which, lets face it, has no chance in hell of winning.

This list of nominees combined with the voters' general apathy towards animation and tendency to vote for whatever their kids watched makes it impossible for anything besides Inside Out to win.
>>
>>78979036
I don't have a problem with WfRR getting a lot of love, though yeah Akira should have gotten something.

At least nominations (and maybe wins) for Best Sound and Best Score.
>>
Reminder that judges have admitted to not watching the animated selections in the past.
>>
>>78978247
>no Moomins on the Riviera
Aw, come on
>>
>>78979097
Question - why do studios that are not Pixar or Disney bother campaigning when the voters are just gonna pick whatever either of those two companies shit out?

It's such a waste of time and resources.
>>
>>78979052
I know you wa funny man but trying to discuss anime film on this website is soul crushing
>/a/ is full of moefags, waifufags, and FOTM worshippers who crosspost on /v/
>/tv/ is full of wannabe normies who hate weeaboos because they think they should
>/co/ is full of... well, you know.
Best place to do it is fucking /ic/ of all places but they're too destructive trying to one-up each other to settle on anything.

>>78979076
Disney doesn't have to because >>78979097 ; nobody watches the noms so they just pick Disney cuz branding.
>>
>>78978940
>outside of the fact that it's Star Wars and it's John Williams - who always gets a nomination for something
This is literally it. The soundtrack is shit, especially compared to the previous movies.
>>
>>78979258
The only good thing is it has no chance of winning.

Oscar is either going to Morricone or Newman - especially since both are legends who have no Oscars (esp. Morricone).
>>
>>78979025
>>78978940
Williams' scores always got at least one tune stuck in my head after watching the movie just once until TFA, which I saw only once.
>>
>>78979394
What pisses me off is that ESB, ROTJ, TPM or ROTS weren't even nominated, but this piece of shit soundtrack was. What the fuck, man.
>>
>>78979431
I saw the movie twice and I still can't remember a thing, all I remember is when he reused the Burning Homestead theme, that's it.
>>
>>78979455
Well I'm not counting reused themes. There was Han and Leia's love theme for obvious reasons.
>>
>>78979443
ESB and ROTJ were nominated.

But I agree. Say what you will about the prequels... the scores were memorable and always stood out.
>>
>>78979431
I'm not sure if it's Williams to blame for phoning it in, or JJ for not effectively using the score in his film and drowing it out with silly action and explosions.

Question: how in the fuck did TFA get an Editing nomination??? I found that to be one of the worst aspects of the film.
>>
>>78979508
Nostalgia. It's similar to why Return of the King won best picture - it's awarding the series, not the individual movie.
>>
>>78979526
But at least RoTK was a great film - and I'm not even a Lord of the Rings geek but I really enjoyed it.

TFA is actually a thoroughly mediocre movie.
>>
>>78979495
They were? Could've sworn they weren't. Oh well, still pisses me off that pieces like Duel of the Fates or Battle of the Heroes got snubbed.
>>
>>78979554
Agreed.

I am not a Star Wars fanboy or anything, but Williams ALWAYS put out quality scores to those films....

...until Force Awakens.
>>
>>78979508
Something tells me Williams and Abrams didn't have a very good working relationship.
>>
>>78979258
This.
VII had no emblematic songs.
even the prequels had Duel of the Fates
>>
>>78979545
IMO Fellowship was best for balancing everything, Jackson got more and more indulgent with the rest. As later seen in King Kong and the Hobbit ones too.
>>
Whatever, all I know is that I'm pulling for Mad Max and The Martian. Everything else can go eat a cock.
>>
>>78979585
Wouldn't be surprised.
>>
>>78979159
It gets free advertizing.
>>
>>78979036
Well, maybe because Who Framed Roger Rabbit was a better movie in general.
>>
>>78979554
At least he got nominations for other films he did in '99 and '05 and didn't win
>>78979431
like I said, I'm a sucker(pleb)
>>
>>78979394
>Morricone has no Oscars yet

There are two kinds of people in this world
>>
>>78979732
>Roger Deakins still no oscar

why.jpeg
>>
>another year Leo won't win
Now they're just teasing him, the bastards.
>>
>>78979545
The theatrical cut wins, not the extended. That's basically the fanservice cut.

Jackson left Christopher Lee out of the theatrical cut to squeeze more CGI battles in. Then later when everyone had their portraits in the credits Lee was missing but Sean Bean was in because of a seconds-long flashback. That was ludicrous.
>>
>>78979815
He'll win the first time he actually starts being the character instead of yelling at inanimate objects.
>>
>>78979941
He should have been nominated for Titanic
>>
>>78979956

No.
>>
I doubt Leo doesn't take it this year. His only real competitor is Redmayne, and something tells me they won't give it to the guy two years in a row.

But, if he doesn't win, there's no way he won't take it for playing a serial killer with 47 split personalities from all different ages, ethnicities and sexes in "The Crowded Room" next year.
>>
>>78980018
Did Keaton get nominated this year? If he did, he might get a pity-award for being robbed of Birdman
>>
>>78979941

But he's done this plenty of times. Stop being a shit poster.

Why is /co/ so pleb about film?

>>78979162

/a/ is great to talk about anime films, you would know that if you went there.

/co/ is plebians paradise.
>>
File: image.jpg (101 KB, 1536x867) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
101 KB, 1536x867
>no Peanuts
>>
File: pete docter.jpg (13 KB, 214x317) Image search: [Google]
pete docter.jpg
13 KB, 214x317
>It's Oscar night.
>"And the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature goes to Disney·Pixar's Inside Out!"
>Pete Doctor shuffles onto the stage.
>He looks.. disturbed.
>He thanks Disney.
>He thanks his wife.
>He thanks his daughter.
>He starts cracking up.
>"It doesn't matter!"
>"They're all the same!"
>"YOU'RE all the same!"
>Audience is completely silent.
>Then, wild applause erupts.
>From literally one man.
>That man is Charlie Kaufman.
>>
>>78978247
>Inside Out also picked up a nomination for Best Original Screenplay
And yet Anomalisa didn't get a nomination for Best Adapted Screenplay? Bullshit.
>>
File: image.png (809 KB, 953x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.png
809 KB, 953x1200
Shaun the Sheep>Inside Out=Anomalisa

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>78979052
Are you just made because it makes a mockery of American animation efforts?
>>
>>78980871
No argument, wish Shaun had done better in 'murica
>>
>>78980086
Nope. I expect him to, but nope.
>>
#OSCARSSOWHITE
>>
>>78979036
>Akira
>good
Next you'll be telling me that Eva is a groundbreaking work. Don't confuse cult weaboo shit with actual quality cinema.
>>
>>78981471
>weeaboo shit
Akira is anime. It's Japanese.

But yeah, you're just mad because of an inferiority complex.
>>
>>78979258
The new star wars was overall average at best, a "watch once and forget" type of movie. But it was a competent movie with competent acting and less CGI diarrhea than the prequels so everyone's sucking it's cock and going nuts. This is going to leave less impact on pop culture than the shitty prequels, at least they were so awful that they spawned a ton of memes and funny negative reviews. If this didn't have the official SW name attached to it, it'd be put in the pile with all the other mildly entertaining but vastly inferior SW knock-offs.
>>
>>78980871
>implying you're not just high on Wallace and Grommet nostalgia
>>
>>78981562
The only thing it has going for it is adult themes and the ability of Japs to put more details into their movies due to low slave labor costs. Story and characters are shit.
>>
>>78981749
Anime movies have much lower budgets than Disney movies, use fewer frames of animation and are often longer. They also almost certainly have more efficient, cost-effective production.

But Disney's animation is the way it is because of creative decisions. They chose to emphasize fluid character motion and disregard everything else, and they chose to make vaudeville-inspired children's/family movies.
>>
>>78980780
What the fuck is wrong with that man's head.
>>
>>78981471
Eva might be 2deep4you garbage and Roger Rabbit was a good movie but don't talk shit about Akira.
>>
>>78978446
This pretty much.
I'm kinda sad that Peanuts and/or Little Prince aren't on the list though.
>>
>>78981471
>Next you'll be telling me that Eva is a groundbreaking work.
That's because it is. You don't even have to like anime to understand that. Next you'll tell me all Ren & Stimpy did was create a slew of grossout shows that added nothing of value to television.
>>
>>78978759
Same. I even liked it, but I wouldn't try to sell it to somebody else.
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.