[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did anyone else find it odd how much emphasis this movie puts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6
Did anyone else find it odd how much emphasis this movie puts on the black kid, his dad, and their strong and loving relationship?

What was up with that?
>>
I found it odd how fucking shitty this series is. The first movie has basically nothing to do with the book, and I could write a book about all the shit wrong with the second. Might do that in post form in a bit. And oh, both managed to have the typical kids movie formula of pop songs, shit-tier humor, and celebrity voice acting. Anyways, I thought the kid and his dad were actually pretty cool. Nice to see traditional family values in these troubled times.
>>
I don't really remember a kid or his dad.

>>78942854
>The first movie has basically nothing to do with the book

That's why it worked though. It was mostly just an origin story for the book.
>>
>>78942854
That's honestly what put me off from seeing this movie and the sequel.
>>
>>78942728
it was just a set-up for the kid being in danger later in the movie
>>
File: 1444611453646.gif (2 MB, 350x194) Image search: [Google]
1444611453646.gif
2 MB, 350x194
It's meant to be a parallel to Flint and his own dad, also to make you in the audience remember your dad.

>tfw black and never met my dad
>>
>>78942894
The town cop, a crazy looking dickhead, constantly talks about how much he loves his son

>>78943127
sorry, bro
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 172x255) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 172x255
>>78942894
That's kind of wrong though. The book implied that food weather was natural in this area, the movie had to shit out some story about a boy genius and his daddy issues. By the way, I really hope this thread sticks around for a bit so I can finally share my white-hot hatred for the second movie with some other people. I would do it now, but I'm exhausted and don't want to enrage myself too much before bed.
>>
File: image.png (47 KB, 438x566) Image search: [Google]
image.png
47 KB, 438x566
>>78943127
Feels bad man. Take a rare Pepe for your troubles.
>>
>>78942728
>how much emphasis this movie puts on the black kid, his dad, and their strong and loving relationship?

It seemed like a deliberate attempt to make up for the fact that the rest of the time, the dad acts like an embarrassingly goofy 1950s racial stereotype, overreacting to everything.
>>
>>78942728
>Implying audiences everywhere don't need to see a black man caring for his son.
>>
>>78943127
I know that feel bro. sucks more when you're named after him.
>>
>>78942728
Because unlike how Dreamworks cast Jackie Chan as Monkey in the Kung Fu Panda movies and never let him have more then five lines, Chris Miller and Phil Lord wanted to actually get some mileage out of casting Mr. T in their animated movie.
>>
>>78942728
To serve as a foil to Flint and his dad's rocky relationship. Did you even watch the movie?
>>
File: ThisIsBait.webm (184 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
ThisIsBait.webm
184 KB, 960x540
>>
>>78942728
>Neil H Patrick voices the monkey

Could they not afford voice work from him? Seems like wasted potential
>>
it's hard to abandon your family if you're trapped on a tiny island in the middle of nowhere

but seriously, it did seem like they were just daring someone to say the dad was overcompensating
probably thought the drama would sell some tickets or something
>>
I loved the first one. Was a big fan of the book too.
>>
>>78943496
I enjoyed the first one but the second one left a bad taste in my mouth
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.