[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does Ian think there are only two types of animation with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7
File: why.png (36 KB, 612x568) Image search: [Google]
why.png
36 KB, 612x568
Why does Ian think there are only two types of animation with nothing in between? Why does he keep excusing SU's visual flaws for "Haha it's a cartoon!!!"?
>>
You might want to step outside and get some fresh air Anon.
>>
I don't know who this is but he sounds like a hack.
>>
"I want more cartoons like Family Guy."

-OP

Wow. Get a load of this faggot.
>>
From what I've can tell SU doesn't have a set way of drawing which allows some of the artists to draw each episode in their own distinct way. This wouldn't be a big issue if it weren't for the fact some of the artist just aren't very good period.

Letting artist do their own thing if they have the raw talent and style can work. I recall Space Dandy doing that.
>>
File: steven.png (320 KB, 466x466) Image search: [Google]
steven.png
320 KB, 466x466
>SU's visual style is built around expressiveness and wild changes
Is that why you're scared of changing the status quo to the point that you can't have Steven *slightly* age himself up for more than one episode?
>>
>>78908672
SU is pretty much the last 6-11 kids comedic show to complain about status quo with. Please move on to literally any other show where this complaint would be more appropriate. Thank you.
>>
>>78908743
If you're a show with no status quo to return to, nobody cares because you didn't present that idea to complain about. Uncle Grandpa, Ed Edd n Eddy, Phineas and Ferb.

If you're a cartoon who gives the illusion of progression and change and then you constantly back out and return to status quo, people are going to bitch because you tried to do something and backed out of it like a pussy. See: Adventure Time.
>>
>>78908824
Except the show hasn't presented this issue yet? I mean I get what your saying but from all the issues SU might have, the one your pointing out has yet to become a real deterrent (at least for now). Steven not automatically being an accurate depiction of a 14 year old isn't really that major and the fact events like Peridot joining the main cast is signs that they do plan to move the show forward, not to mention the character development and countless hints and foreshadowing of what is too come.
>>
These kinds of animation guidelines are pretty common... You see Wander fluctuate all over the place (sometimes he comes up to Hater's chest, others he's so tiny he fits in his palm). Fluidity can be really important and expressive.
>>
>>78908672
>Is that why you're scared of changing the status quo
>Steven Universe
op are you samefagging
>>
>>78908672
>Is that why you're scared of changing the status quo to the point that you can't have Steven *slightly* age himself up for more than one episode?

I give them a pass on that one given it's a plot point that Steven doesn't age naturally. I like that they actually explained why he looks like an eight year old.
>>
>>78909315
But I think the plam thing is just a toon joke. What he means is the general size all around.
>>
>>78909315
As far as I know, Wander changes height size way less in his show than Steven does.
>>
It's based on John K's theories for animation, that the artist's own styles should come out in the work for a more interesting visual experience.

However, something being on model doesn't make it "Family Guy," just consistent. Look at the classic Disney films, those definetely aren't stiff and rarely do you see anything super cartoony happening.

Also, modern artists suck dick, so having their style show through doesn't mean much. Sometimes it can hurt a show, like Adventure Time.
>>
I feel slightly sick that he's using Family Guy as an example of consistent animation and in that way inadvertently praises it.

SU is garbage though, pardon my opinion. I wish the generals could be auto-moved to /trash/
>>
>>78908339
>animator from 2010+
>teaching animation like he knows it
Lol

Animation is the last thing anyone cares about in an animated show these days
>>
>>78908339
>Visual Rigidity of Family Guy

That's a polite way of saying it's stiff, boring and uninspired.
>>
>>78911534
That's supposed to happen soon, right? I think SU is on another hiatus.
>>
>>78908743
>>78908824
>>78908958

I find it heard to even define the status quo for SU. I guess it would have to be "Steven and the 3 main gems go on adventures and sometimes Steven chills with the townsfolk", but the dynamics of that are changing all the time. And then there are the multi episode arcs that have actually made up a significant chunk of this current season, stuff like the Sardonyx arc and something like the last ten episodes have been focused on Peridot and the drill/cluster.
>>
>>78912255
The dynamics change for one episode and then restart on the next one. Just look at those last few Peridot episodes for a good example.
>>
>>78911534
He wasn't praising it. Have you seen Family Guy? They're like cutouts with moving mouths. It is consistent in its shittiness.
>>
Consistent size is important or else you end up with G1 Transformers
>>
>>78908339
Being on model is pretty important, sticking to the model like it was the bible and your a fundamentalist is bad. You want to be flexible, but you also want to have rules to follow.
However i think SU does lean on the side where they break their important rules more often than not.
>>
File: 1427157515181.gif (637 KB, 500x273) Image search: [Google]
1427157515181.gif
637 KB, 500x273
>>78908339
>grown man suffers sperg fit over child's cartoon, world remains silent as he screams into the void
>>
>>78913104
While Peridot's progress did have a number of (in story) set backs there was a clear sense of progression where she grew continuously more accepting of the gems and vice versa, culminating in her joining the Crystal Gems when the writers could have easily had her go back to the status quo of being their enemies since she had found a way off the planet.

Even the last episode was basically a montage/synopsis of how she changed as a character over the last few weeks and by proxy about how the group's dynamic would be changing with her in it.
>>
>>78913104
>Just look at those last few Peridot episodes for a good example.
You mean where Peridot developed from being an enemy of the gems, to grudgingly working together with them to a common goal, to now being basically part of the team?

The little episode long conflicts she had with all the gems where just them getting used to each other, and stuff did change in them (Peridot stopped being a dick and the other gems got to liking her).

There are times where the show is really lazy in progressing (like Peridot's escape at the end of the Sardonyx arc) but there's nothing like that happening with Peridot, from what I've seen.
When she inevitably gets stuffed in a fridge and splits up from the team then you'll have room to talk.
>>
There are times when I think the OP sentiment is valid and others where I think they should have reigned it in tighter. Connie's head in that one scene of Steven's Birthday is exactly what I mean by the latter.
>>
File: 1423763889172.png (84 KB, 207x182) Image search: [Google]
1423763889172.png
84 KB, 207x182
>>78913300
It doesn't look like OP is sperging out
This children's cartoons thing needs to stop because it isn't a deflector for criticism
>>
>>78913443
>grown man continues to be upset over the condition of animation meant to amuse and excite small children, adults everywhere comment "It's not really worth caring about"
>>
File: tears of joy.jpg (56 KB, 428x510) Image search: [Google]
tears of joy.jpg
56 KB, 428x510
>>78908339
BASED IAN
A
S
E
D
>>
>>78913519
>grown man posts on image board for small children, frequently theorizing about the plots in these shows and sharing his sexual fantasies about the characters with other grown men while telling others to not take their interests so seriously by noting inconsistencies
Look ma, I can use meme arrows too!
>>
>>78913519
is there really anything worth caring about, in the end?
>>
>>78913688
>grown man continues to panic in sperg fit concerning children's cartoons, retreats into fevered accusations as ego is challenged, animation keeps happening without consulting him first
>>
File: Flapjack Touch of the Drink.png (1 MB, 1281x729) Image search: [Google]
Flapjack Touch of the Drink.png
1 MB, 1281x729
>>78908339
This is the first thing I've read of IJQ since RPGWorld, so I don't know if this is normal comparison or not.

But the question isn't "how many types of animation are there?" or "why aren't the characters strictly on model, like a Seth McFarlane show?"

I wouldn't argue SU is the best thing to come from "story board modeling", or even that it's well animated, but I will say their school of thought is not out and out wrong.
>>
>>78913949
But anon, if you want to be cool and popular you have to sling the latest memes and hate what you're told to hate.
>>
>>78913949
The good news is I only sometimes want to be cool and popular.

SU has flaws. It can be hamfisted on the story (for example, using character tears to cheat emotion from the audience), choosing to cram too large of a story into 11 minute chunks instead of finding stories that can resolve in the beats they are allowed OR letting problems carry from episode to episode, sometimes choppy or lazy animation that apes choreography from other shows and writing it off as homage instead of plagarism; its a long list that isn't distinct to this one show. I guess being "off-model" is contributing flaw as a whole

If you want to attack a show for bad dedication to character models, TTG is a much better target. Or you can harp on Bruce Timm's fairly limited pool of bodies for women.
>>
>>78913405
There was no development and she kept going backwards until the plot needed her to betray Yellow Diamond.

When did she stop being a dick?
>>
>>78913949
But it's bad when John K says the same thing I guess
>>
>>78913949
I will never stop being annoyed at how he treated the RPGWorld fanbase.

He went on hiatus for months on end, then came back and tore down the forums at first because he didn't want to pay for it. Then after the fanbase offered to pay for it, because we weren't talking about the comic anymore.

Then he just fucking ends it.

And I like the stuff he's worked on since, but I'd still punch him in the dick.
>>
>>78914523
John K is an overrated idiot who got lucky with Ren and Stimpy being memorable.
>>
>>78914600
people called him a pervert on something awful once after the SU thread was locked
>>
>>78914618
And he influenced the entire industry and is the reason Rough Draft exists
>>
>>78914668
It's been several years since I lurked SA, but what caused the thread to get locked? The zamii shit, or something else?
>>
>>78914668
They called Ian a pervert? That wouldn't be wrong, I guess.
>>
>>78914470
>until the plot needed her to betray Yellow Diamond

>constantly praises Yellow Diamond as a paragon of logical thought, not bound by emotions
>turns out Yellow Diamond does not care about logical thought and simply wants Earth dead for personal reasons

It's reasonable to turn on someone, or at the very least insult them like she did, when your one reason for looking up to a person turns out to be a lie.

>>78913263
The issue isn't that they do it, it's that they never fucking own up to it.

Rather than just go "I don't think it hurt anything, but, my bad", they come up with lengthy excuses for doing what they did and why it wasn't wrong in the first place.

God damnit just say "woops."
or just blame the animators.
>>
>>78917815
Peridot was created to follow any commands YD makes so logically she would find any decision she wants to make to be the best possible one. It makes no sense for her to turn on her so easily.

In the eyes of the Diamonds the Earth probably wouldn't be necessary to keep for resource purposes anyway due to the advance in technology in homeworld as opposed to 6000 years ago when they first came to Earth. The traitors to your kind are still there so you might as well get rid of them and attain your superweapon at the same time.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.